Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

NewMars posted:

Don't you give us that crap DeathPope, you're the Pope... of Death! You've gotta have like a million ultra-religious magical mega fun points from that and you're telling us you can't go around resurrecting a half dozen people? :argh:

Nah, see, he's newly ordained, despite not having passed DETHPOPE REZ 101. It's a political appointment, we're kinda hoping he'll grow into it.

EDIT: Aaaaand a GIS of "DETHPOPE" mostly gives me pictures of Pope Benedict XVI, for some reason.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

I'd actually planned to do (at some point) an informative type LP of 6 and 7, but honestly, this is much more entertaining... Although I hope fellow goons will inform you of Dead Man Walking scenarios and where to save for the alternate endings before they happen.

As to the map, I think, if the size issues can be dealt with, Parchment is a good, traditional one, but if not, the yellow and black is perfectly fine for purpose.

If you want, once you've irrevocably finished a level (I suspect you're close to that point with level 1, haven't checked), do you want me to post bits from the cluebook? I'd be happy to do so, because the Cluebook for Wizardry 6 is... Interesting. But this final trilogy in the European series is definitely my favourite of the whole lot, and is just the kind of bonkers I loved in old CRPGs!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Luisfe posted:

RIDICULOUSLY good Bundle. 3 bucks. Includes System Shock 2, Wizardry 6, 7 and 8.

And some other things.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/aftershock-bundle/

And some other things? Harvester's pretty bad, and Aftershock's almost TFTD levels of dickishness, I'll grant you, but UFO: Aftermath is "other things"? You bad, bad man.

Still, you're going through Wizardry 6 the hard way, so you can't be all bad. :)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

augustus gluten posted:

Maybe I'm a cretin but I just used Cosmic Forge editor to get around the save scumming.

Considering D W Bradley's attitude to "I rolled for hours to get one character"? Hell no, you aren't a cretin. Just reading portions of the manual and clue book make my blood boil at the lovely attitude presented at times.

Wizardry 6 Official Cluebook posted:

Frustration? Did You Say Frustration?

If you've already created your party and it's exactly what you hoped for and it took less than an hour, you can skip this section... but don't brag about it!

"It took me two hours to create this party," he said. It's common. Dice rarely roll the way you want them to. Just ask anyone who's ever been to Las Vegas.

Keep in mind, that's the header, sub-header in italics, and first paragraph of an entire section that can be summed up as "It's to give the traditional feel, it encourages you to try other things, but mostly, it's because you need to man up, son!!!

As such, I support any actions which stick a healthy middle finger in the general direction of this section's advice.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, this game was released in 1990. It's the old school of what Dungeons and Dragons, and what we now call RPGs, were thought to be. The attitude D. W. Bradley displays here is pretty typical of the prevailing RPG gaming culture at the time.

True, but the intro to the cluebook is even more fun. See if you can spot why I think he's a shithead, not just a grognard. It's subtle, but it's there.

EDIT: To clarify...

- Yes, David Bradley made a game called Dragon's Breath, brought it to Sir-Tech. This much is correct.
- However, he was by no means, as he suggests here, the sole designer. Due to the fact that he was persuaded to fit "Dragon's Breath" into the Wizardry universe as a sequel to 3 (God knows how this happened, because completely nonsensical characters are quite common in Wiz V, but it did), Andrew Greenberg also had a hand in Wiz V. Even today, sources conflict on this, but the majority hold that Andrew Greenberg contributed as co-designer (Which makes sense.)
- Wizardry V did not, to my knowledge, win much of anything. In fact, it received many of the same criticisms the last four games had earned (namely, that graphics had not moved forward in seven years of developement.) Speaking of...
- Oooh, Mr. Bradley can't count. Ten years? No, seven. Even at this period of time, three years was a long time in gaming, so this is a bigger deal than it first sounds. (EDIT: Eight, as Wiz I was developed in 1980. Point stands.)
- The point about the game being first brought, mostly developed in 1984, and then rejiggered for a time and held back until after the release of Wiz IV is... Unproven. That's not to say it isn't true, but I've not found any proof of the matter either way.
- However... "A system that had been his own for 10 years" ... Really, Dave? So... You didn't think anyone would notice that you have the same chargen system, but with an extra two stats, some extra classes, and an extra few races? You thought that most of your command structure was unique? Maybe the levelling system, complete with "Some of your stats go down" bullshit we'd seen for at least three of the last five games? If he'd said something along the lines of "I rejiggered some stuff, added some stuff, but kept a lot of core mechanics", I'd be cool. But no. "I single handedly saved Wizardry", when his first foray (Wizardry V) is possibly the worst and least mature in the series (NPCs include a duck called Sparky, a bigfoot with athlete's foot, La-La Moo Moo, the temple of Kama Kazi... Want me to go on?)

Yes, 6-8 in the Wizardry series are arguably the "best" parts of the series (with some concerns, some of which we've already seen, such as titty amazons.) But in one introduction that makes my teeth grind, he completes the job of making GBS threads on 1-4 he started with 5, implies he's single handedly responsible for "saving" the series, and deeply implies he completely ignored mechanics of the previous games when crafting his "masterpiece" ... A claim that is patently false.

So yeah, I stand by my opinion that, as much as I enjoyed the games more than I did previous installments, D W Bradley himself, and elements of his writing/design philosophy (It's important to remember, this came out the same year as FF3, Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Revenge, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, Megatraveller I, and Ultima VI) utterly repel me.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 21, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

MR. J posted:

This map just gets more and more convoluted. :psyduck:

Yeah, this is actually one of the sillier mazes in RPG history. Not the silliest, that honour would belong to Wizardry 2 or thereabouts, where you had spinners at every single crossroads (and there were a lot of those). It's kind of blackly funny really, I've been going back to various old RPGs, and finding the love has waned significantly once I understood how often many of them artificially padded the gameplay or half-assed things to save time/effort.

But, if I remember this maze correctly, we're verrrry nearly done with it, and can get on to some craziness. Can't remember if we've locked ourselves out of anything yet, or whether that comes later, though... Which is slightly annoying me.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Did this game come with any kind of hint book or anything?

Nope, like many games, the Official Clue Book came separately, and, like some Clue Books of the time, is not necessarily very helpful. For example, here's some classy wisdom about rolling for characters. However, it also has XP tables. Considering this is an old school game, and class changing is a thing, lots of folks have pored over the XP tables... Because while the max level for a character is 16 in a class... The max experience necessary to get there varies from... 1,810,800 (Thief) to 3,618,000 (Ninja).

EDIT: Y'know, little things. :devil:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

In that case, what happens when you write "I want the bane of the cosmic forge to no longer exist?" (or something to that effect) I mean, I'm not stupid, I know that would still backfire, I'm just wondering how.

Well, then it would most likely remove the Cosmic Forge, the only means of changing the universe, and the universe would probably die thereafter. After all, it's essentially the interface portion of the universe's Unity Engine.

No messing up the universe because you don't like the security measures! :v:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

You are going to want the automap for 7. And a hint book, or the one built in.

Wizardry 6, obtuse as it can be at times, is ultimately a pretty linear game. Crusaders of the Dark Savant, however... In particular, if you don't mind a bit of sequence breaking, doing so ASAP can save you a lot of trouble. Made more complicated potentially by how you end 6. There's three different endings to Bane as I recall, and each one starts you off in a different place in 7.

Plus a fourth one for completely new players (Not that that really applies for the LP... But each of the games has a "You are completely new to this story" beginning.) Definitely prefer the automap version.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

Psudodragons have little scorpion stingers on the end of their tails. A housecat sized idiot dragon that can poison you if it gets in a huff. Of course, this is the 3rd edition DnD one, but that seems arbitrary enough to have been kept through the years.

Yeah, they've been around since at least 2nd Edition, and are a favourite pet/familiar of dryads and other sylvan types. If you can hunt them down, the "Ecology Of" articles from Dragon are priceless, and the Ecology of the Pseudodragon (Featuring Greyhawk's Monster Hunter Society, a group of bumbling, narcissistic, and Chaotic Stupid wizards... Mostly) is a classic example. "Hey, let's kidnap a Dryad so we can milk her pet Pseudodragon's venom!"

...This ends with us learning of a Pseudodragon's idea of entertainment. Little buggers aren't strong, but their stingers are filled with a sedative/paralytic, and for laughs, they do their best to pose their victims in extremely embarassing poses between the "nighty night" and the muscles locking up. They have a special place in my heart beside Tucker's Kobolds, as Avatars of the Evil (But Not Murderous) GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

What's the difference between 1000 damage and instant death? I didn't think your PCs could get that beefy.

In many RPGs, there are spells that increase HP beyond the maximum (Such as the old DnD classic, "Aid", which adds d8 temporary hitpoints), or flat/percentile damage reduction (Say, a "Magic Field" spell that reduces all damage by 20% to that character). Many of those stack in older RPGs (Usually multiplicative (So... 120% "plus" 120% is actually 144%) , although sometimes someone falls asleep at the switch and they're additive (Same case leads to 240% buff!)), allowing for further damage reduction. Add in spells that allow a percentile chance of flat out dodging damage from an attack (As opposed to dodging the attack itself), and, so the older RPG design theory goes, so long as you know what you're getting into (The flaw here), you can save up your SP for, say, a difficult fixed encounter, and cast mitigation spells that should last you the rest of the combat.

So, especially in older RPGs designed around mitigation (Hi Wizardry!), there is a functional difference... So long as you're aware it can happen in the first place.

Can't say I'm especially sad to see that design philosophy mostly gone from CRPG design, as it's basically two different types of Guide-Dumb gently caress You situations. But you'll still see it in some ARPGs, with the whole "Spike Damage" concept (EDIT: Some monsters have a particularly wide damage range, or a rare attack that does a lot more damage in ARPGs, leading to increased risk because, well, normally, you'd gently caress that monster up, buuuut... You got a damage spike, whoopsie!)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 18, 2016

• Locked thread