Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Ryuujin posted:

Also you probably don't want Twinklee to equip that Bo, unless you can still punch while the Bo is equipped. But if I remember right you don't have any points in the Bo skill and a bunch in the Foot & Hand skill, also Monks can be murder machines with their bare hands if it works like in 7.

This is true. Unlike D&D 3.5, where Monks actually NEED to start wielding weapons as they level up or end up inferior, Monks and Ninja in Wizardry only get more lethal with their bare hands because their damage and attacks/round continue to climb without them.

Lusife, I can understand you're playing this game blind, but I suggest you at least read the manual to learn basic game mechanics (besides, it's actually very entertaining, there's plenty of humorous remarks in it). This is a game from the era before tutorials where the development team put a lot of time and effort into their manuals and players were expected to read them to know what they were doing. It explains everything from the interface to the player stats screen. I'm lucky to have a physical copy of the game and thus the actual manual, so I'm spared the hassle of resizing and scrolling through a PDF at least.

The lack of a pure priest is going to make the early game kind of rough because Bishops don't really come into their own until much higher levels, so healing may be rather limited, but I'm glad you have several martial characters to simplify combat, and as you saw the bard's instruments make for really awesome early-game power since they're not based on spell points. As you'll learn from the manual, the party's configuration does determine who can attack from what positions, so everyone in the back rows will need to equip Extended reach weapons or missile weapons if they want to attack (I believe your Bard and Psionic are simply stuck with bows unless you have the Bard hide in shadows, then he can sneak attack anyone with a melee weapon). Picking all spellcasters or hybrid casters was a good tactic since Wiz 6 seems to have a glitch where a non-magic class that changes professions into a casting class can't regenerate spell points (something I learned the hard way on an early playthrough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

fixelbrumpf posted:

Yep, the graphics in 6 sure are ... something. I already thought it looked butt ugly when it came out, the EGA palette really isn't all that well-suited for atmospheric-looking dungeons and the like, and it also has one of the worst flesh colors I've ever seen. As a result, I never spent any time with 6 but it really looks like I've been missing out. I'll definitely be following Luisfe's exploits.

It left a hell of an impression on me on my playthrough, especially as the story unfolds in the late game. I can't really detail anything without pretty blatant spoilers, but I can say the antagonists are far more 3-dimensional than most RPG's had at the time. I even hesitate to call them evil, really, just people that had high ambitions and poo poo backfired. You'll see what I mean eventually.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, Wizardry 7 plays almost identically to 6 and does have a feature like this. Early in the game you can pick up an in-game map kit that automatically maps as you go. The trick, though, is that the level of detail is dependent on the Mapping skill of the character holding the map kit. With few to no points in it, the map kit won't even show walls.

There's another limitation even with max mapmaking skill: It can only show the immediate surrounding area (no "Full Map" view) so there's no way to get a full bead on where you are without mapping it yourself. Even the Win9x Wizardry Gold edition (which I blew $60 on back in the day) didn't have a Full Map feature, though it did feature full voice acting and in-game manual and cluebook access, so that was nice.

azren posted:

Ya know, I almost want to play this, but I just can't get past the "do your own mapping" thing. It would just drive me up the wall. I might just need a pre-filled out map. Maybe add my own points of interest as I went, or something.

The GoG edition does have a pdf of the official cluebook which in fact has somewhat detailed, and complete, maps.

One thing an SSLP doesn't do justice to is the Game Over screen, because it also has the Grim Reaper emit a loving LOUD and cacophonous groan from your PC speakers that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid (and still startles me as an adult wearing headphones). I found a brief clip on YouTube but the volume is really toned down because of the LP'er voicing over the video, so linking it wouldn't really give you the true heart-pounding experience.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Not shown: this is quite capable of killing characters. I do have to wonder how many reloads Luisfe isn't showing, considering that entry-level enemies can kill some characters in one hit if you get unlucky...

Don't even get me started on what happens when you fight monsters with Kirijutsu, like Samurai and Ninja clans. Or of course monsters with hold and death spells. Yeah, once the combats get going with status ailments you start seeing the harshest of Wizardry (but also the most fun when you get your own hold and death spells to stomp the bastards).

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Cythereal posted:

An addendum to this: Wizardry 6 is not an easy game. The castle doesn't have anything too bad unless you drop into an area you're not strong enough to handle yet (or you get into a certain fight without a high level of blinding flash or a really buff party with cure poison), but it gets a lot harder as you go on. For example, recall the kirijitsu skill that grants a chance to inflict instant death? Enemies start getting chances to crit later in the game, to exactly the same effect. And that's aside from spells that inflict instant death, one of which hits the entire party.

It's because of this, and features in later titles like the faction system in Wizardry 7, that are why the Wizardry series had a hard time getting new players outside of the most hardcore of RPG players. On the other hand, it was EA's appealing to wider demographics that actually killed Ultima, so I think the games holding up as well as they do should go as an example of not fixing what isn't broken.

Washout posted:

Also there is a game breaking bug in the stock version that makes enemies resist all the level 7 spells, and an option to make mana regen not glacial so you might want to apply those patches to save yourself from going completely insane. You already accidently have a party full of people with slow mana regen with the exception of the single fairy.

THAT's what caused it? Son of a bitch... I remember grinding my mage up to get Nuclear Blast only to find it wouldn't even hurt rats! Well, if GoG didn't patch it up I'm definitely getting that unofficial patch when I reinstall.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

TwistedSynapse posted:

Games of this era commonly had not just blank levels possible, but even stat LOSSES.

Would not surprise me AT ALL to see a -1 pop up one time just to make you rage :argh:

Luckily the last game in the series to have stat LOSS on level-up was Wizardry 5. When making Wiz 6 the developers decided to throw out the old 1st Edition D&D thinking and get with the times a bit, so dick moves like stat loss were phased out. Oh, there's plenty of other WTF moments in store, so don't worry.

quote:

Needing some pointers is nothing to be ashamed of in this series, and Wizardry 7 even more so than 6. 6 is, all told, fairly light on outright dick moves. It's hard, yes, but a well built party can handle most of it. It's even fair, after a fashion. Status effects like blindness and silence are hugely useful in both your hands and the enemy's.

By far the biggest dick move status ailment I'd say is petrification, but even it has some saving graces. For instance, statues have pretty high AC so monsters that hit a Stoned character have a hard time doing any damage. On the other hand, turning them back costs 1 Vitality and if they end up dead, resurrection costs another point.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Time to ask people for a new theme? (White on black.)

I'd say Parchment personally. I'm using the parchment theme to map out The Bard's Tale 2 (which has almost as many spinners, teleporters, magical darkness, one-way walls etc. as an early Wizardry game) and it looks snazzy as gently caress.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Glazius posted:

Is "Dispel Undead" worth it in terms of mana-to-chance to actually work?

I'd say yes given at that point in the game most of those zombies hit surprisingly hard and you don't want to draw out a melee with them. The game treats them a bit like a boss fight when you do encounter them.

And don't get me started on higher level undead. Headache central.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Inspired by this thread (and a massive dose of nostalgia), I downloaded the GOG edition of Wiz 6 and played it for about 10 days. I'd cranked out my best grinding skills and got several characters "multi-classed" and before too long had an entire party with high Kirijutsu and Ninjutsu skills as well as most of the best spells for my spellcasters and some very good mid-game equipment. Insistent on maintaining legitimacy, I raised each skill manually, going through dozens of magic items to boost Artifacts for instance. I caught up to the LP and then some, finishing the Mines...

and then when I saved my game on the lowest level of the mines, with the diamond puzzle? The game pops up with "ERROR SAVING TO DRIVE E: INSERT DISK IN DRIVE"

"Uh, what? Weird bug to show up now" I think, and continuously try to save or back out to no avail. I close DOSBox and hope for the best.

NOPE! I have the worst problem to ever strike a CRPG player: Saved game corruption. :ssj: And as you may know, Wizardry 6 only has ONE savegame slot, and the GOG edition won't even let you try to make a backup in-game (seriously). This officially destroyed dozens, if not hundreds, of gameplay hours. I tried using Recuva to see if I could recover an overwritten save, but no dice.

Out of spite I started over with my level 1 characters, busted out BaneEdit and pumped them full of max skills, all spells and top-tier equipment. I would try to do things more "legit" and just replace their old gear, but that's rather difficult to do with no save file for reference. I even opened the corrupt save in a hex editor to check and like most games back then everything was saved backwards, so there's absolutely no character data until the end of the file, which being corrupt cut off 1/3 through saving, making any data recovery impossible.

I'll definitely be making periodic savegame backups from this point forward.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Luisfe posted:

Thank you for reminding me of that kind of stuff. My last backup is from like 4 updates ago. Not a terribly long interval but it would be bad.

Backing up that save.

No problem man. I don't know if it was just a specific section of the mines that glitched me, or a bug or what. It seems like I had this problem once back in the old days too (I believe my last Wizardry marathon was around 2006), but had backup saves back then. Just sucks that I have to backtrack, even with external programs alleviating the grinding part of it there's still all that upstairs-downstairs slogging of the Castle and Mines to retread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Oooh you're getting ever closer to the massive plot dump in the bottom of the Mines. Can't wait. Be sure not to save on the level you get it, though, that's where I ended up mangling my save, must be glitchy.

In the meantime, I thought I'd update some people on my concurrent Wizardry progress. I powerlevelled "multiclassed" everyone into either a ninja, monk, or samurai at least once to get everyone in my party Kiritjutsu and Ninjutsu, as well as to maximize skills. To grind I used the Enchanted Forests' encounters (barely accessible from the castle, so not really a spoiler) until I actually GOT to the Enchanted Forest, where I promptly began grinding on T-Rexes. When everyone can hide, they're far less of a threat and more of a battle of attrition, especially if you spam AoE spells and exploit status ailments like poison and nausea. Hidden characters in Wiz6 are untargetable even with Area of Effect attacks and spells, something they "fixed" in Wizardry 7, sadly. T-Rexes are worth something like 125,000 experience so it took maybe an evening to get everyone in the party up to the high 20's in level, not that I needed it, but I wanted real powerhouse characters for transference to Wizardry 7.

Of course that's where it got interesting. I had to grind like mad on that lousy 5% chance that the high-level monsters in the endgame areas drop rare super items, and after finally getting them decided to "transfer" those items to my other end saves (using BaneEdit) in case I wanted to go with a different ending when I started Wiz7. That way I figure I'm at least saving myself hours of extra grinding. Guess the joke's on me because Wiz7 only lets you transfer a handful of items over and only 1 major magical item, and what you do get to keep seems to be heavily randomized with some of the crazily broken stuff like glass slippers being out of the question.

Now for my moment of nerdy RPG gloating glory: There's something worse than the T-Rex in Wizardry 7: loving Godzilla. He's a souped-up fire breathing version of the T-Rex, having way more HP and damage potential than the loving end boss and on Expert level 2 of him spawns if you run across him (so I got to battle 2, of course). I'll link his stats page to give you some idea of what I'm talking about. The battle took over an hour and I only had 1 PC death (my Bishop) and a few summons killed, and thankfully Wiz7 lets you resurrect mid-combat so she still got the experience.

The stats page for that bastard
Proof that I beat him, even if it required getting his clone to help fight him.

My party got 860,000+ experience for that one fight. I'm pretty sure Sir-Tech put those monsters in the games as a joke and you weren't intended to actually beat them, but I'm always up for a challenge. I'll have to assume Wiz8 probably has some similar hidden super-monster too, I wouldn't know, I've yet to play it.

Edit: Fixed the URL, had the wrong stats page up.

Crazy Dastard fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 24, 2014

• Locked thread