Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Not entirely sure what the template should be when you combine two ability words, but I'm going to go with like this.

Cascade is really fun to combine with other mechanics. Turn all of your lands into random spells from your deck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Serperoth posted:

From the Comprehensive rules:
701.27b If you control no creature tokens when instructed to populate, you won’t put a token onto the battlefield.

So when you choose to populate instead of sacrificing it, you just don't get tokens, is how I'm seeing it. It has to do with the wording of populate actually. A less elegant solution would be as follows:
Cumulative upkeep - 0
When you pay the troll toll, populate for each age counter.

Again, that's fine when it's an effect, but not when it's a cost. It's the difference between Duress and Amugaba. If someone hits you with Duress when you have no cards in hand, the spell still resolves, only you don't actually discard anything (similar to the rules on populate that you posted). And that's fine, effects are allowed to do nothing. Costs are a completely different story. If you want to use Amugaba's ability, you have to actually discard a card because it's part of paying the cost. Replace "Populate" with its reminder text instead and reread the card. It's much easier to see when you look at it that way.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GyroNinja posted:

Cascade is really fun to combine with other mechanics. Turn all of your lands into random spells from your deck!

This is absolutely hilarious and I kinda wish it cost XRG just for total hilarity.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

U-DO Burger posted:

Again, that's fine when it's an effect, but not when it's a cost. It's the difference between Duress and Amugaba. If someone hits you with Duress when you have no cards in hand, the spell still resolves, only you don't actually discard anything (similar to the rules on populate that you posted). And that's fine, effects are allowed to do nothing. Costs are a completely different story. If you want to use Amugaba's ability, you have to actually discard a card because it's part of paying the cost. Replace "Populate" with its reminder text instead and reread the card. It's much easier to see when you look at it that way.
Here's the thing: Populate as a cost does not change how Populate resolves. So when you choose to pay the cost, being Populate [Age Counters], you Populate that many times - it doesn't matter whether or not you get any guys or have tokens to copy. And that's fine. If Populate required a target, instead of making a choice, you'd be totally right. But in this case, you can opt to Populate and then choose nothing, because that's how Populate works; being part of an upkeep cost does not change how an ability works.

Just for posterity's sake:

Populate in the Comp Rules posted:

701.27. Populate
701.27a To populate means to choose a creature token you control and put a token onto the battlefield that’s a copy of that creature token.
701.27b If you control no creature tokens when instructed to populate, you won’t put a token onto the battlefield.
So there you go. Choose to pay the Populate upkeep cost, doesn't matter whether you actually have something to clone.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

This is absolutely hilarious and I kinda wish it cost XRG just for total hilarity.

That's actually a really cool idea, although the non-X component needs to be at least three thanks to Living End and friends.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It strikes me that something with Scry and Cascade could be busted good, but I can't wrap my head around something so Johnny. Give me a creature with intimidate and radiant deathtouch, and I still won't play it right.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

It strikes me that something with Scry and Cascade could be busted good, but I can't wrap my head around something so Johnny. Give me a creature with intimidate and radiant deathtouch, and I still won't play it right.

I thought of that, but cascade triggers when the spell is cast, so it resolves before the spell itself, making it really hard to scry before you cascade. You'd have to have a cast trigger like "When you cast this spell, scry X", which is kind of awkward.

:edit:

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 7, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Timmy Hydra coming through. Highly impractical, totally loving awesome.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

It's hard to find Greek fantasy-styled art. So pretend that dude doesn't have armor, but instead a toga or something...

I had a sort of "Flatliners" idea in mind. This dude nearly dies to get some insight and become stronger...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 7, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dungeon Ecology posted:

It's hard to find Greek fantasy-styled art. So pretend that dude doesn't have armor, but instead a toga or something...

I had a sort of "Flatliners" idea in mind. This dude nearly dies to get some insight and become stronger...

I think persist might be better, as it is it can be a 3/3 for 2 mana with added flexibility and a scry.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ramos posted:

Timmy Hydra coming through. Highly impractical, totally loving awesome.

This rules.

Edit: does echoing work like a blink? I know it'll shake off auras but will it also dodge targeted stuff?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Obvious. Powerful? Maybe. But not more than once.

Probably still undercosted:

And a clever johnny card:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 7, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

SCRY AND FATESEAL MIRROR EACH OTHER. WOW.
:geno: despite this being decently powerful.

More enthusing. Threshold and Flashback seem like a natural fit: one cares if this card is in your graveyard, another cares if lots of cards are in your graveyard. I had Increasing Confusion in mind because it has the 'when this is cast from the graveyard it becomes more awesome' clause. That turned into something that makes me happy: paying XX and getting the full XX out of it under the correct circumstances.

This was born when I read the rules on provoke and saw that each instance triggered separately. And when stuff like that isn't redundant, I get the urge to start stacking it. Provoke seemed to go well with rampage whose downfall has often been that if it's not on a huge creature it's totally irrelevant because the opponent isn't going to multiblock you. So now you can make your opponent do that. Provoke also seemed to go well with a sort of Lorwyn flavour: annoying your opponent's creatures into doing things was pretty fairy/boggart-ish. Having it happen three times made me think of the fairy cliques that appeared in that block so I turned it into a silly boggart imitation of the fairies. Then various other threes followed, including P/T, Rampage boost, red mana symbols ...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

omg end contest now we have already found a winner. Just having Provoke on there three times is amazing enough. I want to play this card so bad and make goblin taunting voices when I do it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

This rules.

Edit: does echoing work like a blink? I know it'll shake off auras but will it also dodge targeted stuff?

Nah, it doesn't dodge since echo is paid at the beginning of upkeep. It's just there as a way to decide how many +1/+1 counters come with it.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Sometimes you just have to make a limited bomb.

In SoM block limited I loved proliferating people to death, so here's a guy that does just that. It's a lot better than Plague Stinger, but that card wasn't exactly oppressive, and costing two colored mana instead of once can be a big deal on a limited card.

Way to discard the card + ability that works from the graveyard seems like a pretty obvious way to go, but I'm doing it anyway because it always bugged me that they skipped 7 and 8 when they were printing Transmute cards.

Who says Devour can only go on creatures, other than the comprehensive rules and common sense?

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Just a ridiculous idea I had. Normally I'm not a fan of leaving reminder text off of cards, but obviously this wouldn't work otherwise.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I can't decide if it should cost B and require combat damage to a player to proliferate or if it's better as it is.

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 7, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's kind of like double strike for infect but not really?

edit:

Mi'lady, allow me to show you my hanzo steel.

edit2:

Yay, Guardian Angel.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 7, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Because of course 'monster' has more meanings than the angry beasts that Theros has tended to use it for.

Mechanics:
Phyrexian mana - pay 2 life or a mana of the appropriate colour.
[cost] Monstrosity X - pay the cost and put X +1+1 counters on this creature. It becomes monstrous, which is a state of being and not a type or anything else.
Infect - creature deals damage to creatures as -1/-1 counters and to players as poison counters.

For once I think I'm using reminder text here as it's meant to be used - clarifying a rules situation - instead of as an attempt to subvert the rules by offering a semi plausible alternative to what they really do. Even if the aura leaves it, the aura only granted the action that gave the enchanted creature Infect, not Infect itself. I will return to form on the next card.

No, I can't actually do that with Monstrosity. And I shouldn't be trying in the middle of fulfilling other challenge conditions and doing strange things with rules for counters. But I did it anyway.

Mechanics:
Monstrosity - on the card. Or a version of it.
Undying - when this dies, if it didn't have a +1/+1 counter on it, return it to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.

So Cabalist begins as a 2/2. When you want, you monstrous it to make it an effective 1/1 with undying. When it undies it comes back as an effective 3/3 because of undying's +1/+1 counter. If it's in danger of dying, you can monstrous it again because it's a new object. The -1/-1 counter cancels the +1/+1 counter and it gains undying. Undying sees it doesn't have a +1/+1 counter and will bring it back again. Repeat as long as you can pay life. Would go well in a sort of B/W Soul Sisters build with a sac outlet. I think such a deck exists?
This would work under the rules by giving it Monstrosity 1 and persist but that doesn't hit my flavour button or my dumb experimentation with mechanics button nearly so well. It also removes a bit of the decision making/tension from the card because you're going to monstrous it immediately as it comes back instead of holding onto your 3/3. And you only get it as a 3/3 on the first iteration of the cycle with the fixed version, which makes it substantially weaker if you're using not using it as some kind of combo/synergy engine (and therefore don't care about its stats.)

E: Oh well, I made it anyway. Flavour still not what I'd like but better fit to these mechanics, I hope.

I don’t know what games Wizards has been playing, but in mine I level up by hitting things, not waiting for my superior's magical links to the land to come online. :colbert:

Mechanics:
Level up - pay the level up cost and put a level counter. The number of level counters defines its level. Levelling up can only be done as a sorcery.
Absorb - on the card.

Seriously, I was trying to do way too much with this card and I don't like how it turned out. I wanted to level up with a cost that wasn't mana. I wanted to put level up on a nonsentient creature and have it make sense. I wanted to fit in that second keyword for the challenge. I wanted to actually make a well designed card and a good set of level ups. I think it especially falls down as a leveller because probably the most interesting/exciting part of the card, designwise and possibly even playwise, is the level up clause instead of the final product. That was a risk I took with changing up the cost of levelling and I don't think it paid off.

I do at least like the part where the creature's power gets greater than its toughness as it levels, evoking the RAAAR FIGHT EVERYTHING RAAAR flavour, while absorb actually means its stats are effectively square in most single situations. And I guess the keyword vomit at the end at least starts to encourage you to go on the attack again instead of fighting when you're getting no more benefits from the levels.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 8, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So it turns out amplify stacks. This allows for some really fun and dumb levels of potential power while still being useful and interesting for draft.

I was halfway tempted to include evolve on there, but eh.

:v:

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Tharizdun posted:

Obvious. Powerful? Maybe. But not more than once.

You do realize the cypher doesn't do anything here right?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Just simple and synergistic. And I left the reminder text on for once among my entries.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shavnir posted:

You do realize the cypher doesn't do anything here right?
Why wouldn't it? You cipher it onto, say, Invisible Stalker, swing and then get to pay X..oooh. Hmm... I'd have to add kicker to it to let you reduce the cost and draw cards. Welp. Now it has 3 keywords and is officially the most confusing card.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Not entirely sure how correct the costing on these is but:

-Thinking this one might be uncommon?
-Should I raise the life cost of this card?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trollhawke posted:

-Thinking this one might be uncommon?
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a common

Trollhawke posted:

-Should I raise the life cost of this card?
This makes literally no sense and cannot work unless you're designing cards from Alpha, where you kinda have to guess at the intent Time Walk-style. Also, Cascade is a "may" ability, so you'll never actually hurt yourself unless you want to. If you're completely desperate for this effect to exist, you'd need to word it as:

Cascade, Cascade, Cascade.
Whenever you cast a card exiled by Hastur, Hastur, Hastur, if you haven't lost six life yet from this effect this turn, you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 9, 2014

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Well crap. Will change name for next draft.

Tharizdun posted:

This makes literally no sense and cannot work unless you're designing cards from Alpha, where you kinda have to guess at the intent Time Walk-style. Also, Cascade is a "may" ability, so you'll never actually hurt yourself unless you want to.
I might add a clause where if you don't cascade all three times you lose the game. But the intent is as the card reads; cascade three times. Lose life equal to the difference between this card's cmc and any cards you play. Madness: Pay 7 life and don't (will most likely add that the madness cost can only be paid on 10 life or less...?)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Trollhawke posted:

Murder is the standard for unconditional destruction of a creature in current Magic. This admittedly requires more set up but dropping the effect from 1BB to just 3, then piling multiple bonuses on top of it (including an Unset one) is a bit disquieting to me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trollhawke posted:

Well crap. Will change name for next draft.

I might add a clause where if you don't cascade all three times you lose the game. But the intent is as the card reads; cascade three times. Lose life equal to the difference between this card's cmc and any cards you play. Madness: Pay 7 life and don't (will most likely add that the madness cost can only be paid on 10 life or less...?)

You can't just make people do stuff and when you keep adding riders it just makes it a cluttered mess. See also: Every Mirage Rare.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Trollhawke posted:

"When [creature] dies" is literally "When [creature] is put into the graveyard from the battlefield". So "Whenever a creature dies but does not enter the graveyard" wouldn't really work.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I'm not sure this even does anything without the level up ability. I suppose I could just include it and make it cost infinity? v:v:v

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 9, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sleepy Owl posted:

I'm not sure this even does anything without the level up ability. I suppose I could just include it and make it cost infinity? v:v:v

I really don't like how it's t to level up, but also t to do its cool thing. Maybe make the "add a counter" cost (3) instead, or give it a way to untap itself for (3).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

I really don't like how it's t to level up, but also t to do its cool thing. Maybe make the "add a counter" cost (3) instead, or give it a way to untap itself for (3).

I was thinking that it wouldn't be a huge deal since it'll be adding counters anyway, but yeah maybe it's a bit too slow.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The interplay between mana available and just spewing out cards has always been an interesting one to me, though I might have been able to drop the cost of this card just a bit.

For all of your jank landfall decks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I like the part where I get to draw my deck as soon as I'm hellbent by activating and then retaining priority.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ramos posted:

The interplay between mana available and just spewing out cards has always been an interesting one to me, though I might have been able to drop the cost of this card just a bit.
I dunno, the reward (presumably) for dropping this is that you can draw as many cards as you want when you empty your hand.

E; fb. :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Easy enough to fix.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
:edit: Original post was probably wrong, so have some cards instead.

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

GyroNinja posted:

:edit: Original post was probably wrong, so have some cards instead.

My brain first glossed over the art on Citizen's Arrest. Then it flagged that as a bit warlike for what I associate with that turn. Then I took a proper look and realised it was Guards! Guards! fanart.

You're spelling Ancestor wrong, by the way.

Content:
This card started off as an inkling that Multikicker plus Living Weapon could be interesting. Then my flavour instincts took it over and it got rather silly (and I needed to start finding inventive ways to put everything on fewer lines.)

Mechanics:
Multikicker - pay an additional cost any number of times as you cast the spell.
Living weapon - when the equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield and equip to it.
Infect - deals damage to creatures as -1/-1 counters and to players as poison counters.

• Locked thread