Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jules Brunet
Special Adviser to the President, Private Military Contractor, Businessman, Actual Commodore, Believer in Bootstraps, Voucher of Character

The Brunet Conglomerate, Parent Company of Les Militaires Mondiaux and a variety of other profitable ventures, has done a great deal of business with the interests represented by Monsieur Capron. In every instance, we have found him to be diligent, fastidious, scrupulous, and financially savvy. While better candidates to helm a central bank may exist in the world, they are few and far between, and I am happy to endorse my good friend for the post, for whatever my word may be worth.

While the economic sinews of Ezo are strengthened by others, I have begun training my men in all sorts of naval-based activities, from underwater sabotage to boarding actions. The war for Ezo may very well be won on the water, and so it is the duty of all who defend it to be prepared to fight on the rolling waves.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Action Points for Turn 5

Best post of turn is for FSAD, for defeating Litos and also electorals.

Atención! Turn is due Tuesday, March 18, at 11:59 PM CST (GMT - 6). GET READY FOR BROMANCE

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Having heard no acceptable justification from the Minister of the Navy, Katsu Kaichu, about his recruitment of militia, his lack of a plan to defend Sado Island, and his lack of any reasonable explanation as to why he was unable to engage the Meiji navy over the past few months in any meaningful way, I am sadly forced to remove him from his position as Minister of the Navy. We thank him for his service to the nation, but in this time of warfare, the nation requires a more active commander of the navy who is able to communicate with the Commander in Chief. This is not the moment when our naval minister can be distracted by domestic issues, as I fear has become the case. I will be examining potential candidates to determine a suitable replacement for Katsu over the next few days and will announce my decision shortly.

Ceterum censeo Meijiem esse delendam.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
陸軍奉行 (Army Minister)

While it is unfortunate to have to do something like this, as a congressman and as a minister I stand by the president's decision.

As a note, I still have some important announcements to make in the near future. Expect to hear them as soon as I have the details worked out.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 16, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This war will be won on the water, and we need to fund a naval expansion quickly. I have no wife, no child, and therefore no need for my estate or my land. I therefore intend to sell my estate and donate the money to the Ezo government for the express purposes of building more ships and training people to operate them.

I realise well that this is but a drop in the ocean with regards to funding, but the sakoku-ha dream of an independant Ezo cannot be fulfilled if we lose Ezo to the Meiji. It goes against my beliefs for Ezo to have to purchase ships from the gaijin, but idealism means nothing to a corpse. To all followers of the sakoku-ha way, we must be pragmatic for the time being.

To my friends, do not worry about where I will live and sleep. I have been offered lodgings at the shrine in our capital, the home of the Shinto reforms. I will have enough to fulfil my simple needs there, and will still be able to attend congress easily enough.

Itakura Katsukiyo
-Former minister for education.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 16, 2014

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Ataman Hijikata Toshizō, The Demon of the Shinsengumi

Hello Ezo,

the Iron Chef competition is beginning to heat up. My Shinsengumi have scoured the lands of Ezo for the freshest ingredients and recipes, nothing else will suffice. I am glad to say I shall gather four judges to give an impartial review of the food being served.

Now, now, for all of Ezo, you may wonder what the key ingredient shall be? Well, I cannot tell you as to ensure that both of our contestants are able to start off on equal footing. I cannot even give you an hint. Regardless, this event shall be the biggest Ezo has ever known!

quote:

Diary of Hijikata Toshizo

My god, nearly died, hallucinated with visions I have yet to understand and I haven't yet got a chance to speak to Kasuga personally. Work is now overflowing since the Meiji are preparing to invade, regardless, I do hope this competition will ease tensions. Will I ever get a simple time for myself? Who knows!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
陸軍奉行 (Army Minister)

Announcing the formation of the Sakurakai (桜会, Cherry Blossom Party)

It has become clear that the political landscape of the Ezo Republic has changed. The party lines that defined us during the previous election cycles have become meaningless. Simply look at the fact that the defining position of my own Homeland party, war with Meiji, has become the position of the entire republic itself. It is no longer an issue that divides congress, and I thank the Nationalists (and formerly the Republicans) to moving towards our own views on that matter.

On the other hand, there has been another notable change in congressional politics. One that is very close to me. After my dear brother's death, the responsibility of leading proud Japanese men like the Sakoku-ha Chained Country Faction has largely fallen to me.

So on one axis of thought, the Nationalists and Homelanders are largely the same. On another, the Homelanders and Chained Countrymen are largely the same. I think this makes things pretty clear that it is time to change how things work.

I am announcing the formation of the Sakurakai, otherwise known as the Cherry Blossom Society or Cherry Blossom Party. Japan itself is much like the Sakura petal: she is beautiful, yet fragile. There is a lot to love when it comes to our heritage, our country, and our people. Our ways are better than any other in the world! And yet, if we are not careful, it might simply disappear like the cherry blossom. Everywhere you look, you may find someone or some thing which wishes to change Japan for the worse. We will not let that happen.

We declare the following:

1. We are loyal to those traditions which make us Japanese. While sometimes it is necessary to adopt new techniques, one must never forget their heritage.

2. We are committed to the war with Meiji, and shall be until the false government stands no more.

3. We pledge to defend Japan as the home of the Japanese people, and to protect it from foreign influence and corruption.

4. We shall endeavor to protect the stability of society, and to maintain the peace and order which makes both government and everyday life possible.

5. We stand for a strong nation, loyal both to its government leaders and to its divine Emperor.

I call upon all members of the Homeland and Sakoku factions to join me in this new endeavor. While I loathe to abandon old ways, it has become clear that our old parties have become obsolete.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 16, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As the de-facto leader of the Sakoku-ha party, I hereby announce the dissolution of sakoku-ha.
*Walks over to Matsudaira Sadaaki*
I pledge my support to Sakurakai. May this party forever defend our traditions and our way of life.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

BrainParasite posted:

Tsukinoeaino

As a representative of the Ainu people, I am filing suit against the Matsumae Clan

The trade restrictions placed upon the Ainu have no basis in the laws of Ezo. We are suing for immediate suspension of all Matsumae attempts to enforce a trade monopoly with the Ainu and compensation for losses incurred due to illegally enforced trade restrictions.

Matsumae Takahiro

These allegations are ridiculous. Clan Matsumae placed no restrictions to enforce any monopoly, as proven by a number of Ainu people trading directly with other inhabitants of the island. If some Ainu traders prefer to sell their goods to Matsumae clan members, it's because we have more experience in selling Ainu goods. Our clan traders simply offer better prices than the others.

Matsumae clan, since the reinstatement of our status as samurai, has consistently supported Ainu rights as full-fledged citizens of this island. Your people serve in our clan retinue with a high chance of becoming samurai themselves. They earn a substantial amount of money in our facilities. Matsumae members also fought for inclusion of your kamuy in Shinto-Puddhist pantheon. And don't forget the Obihiro school, where Ainu and Yamato children together learn skills that potentially can propel them into the highest strata of Ezo society. Why would you choose us as the evil oppressor boogeymen? Why would you demand a compensation from the only clan that tries to give your people more than it takes from them?

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 16, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

I would like to point out that our tax code is fundamentally broken, without our formal feudal system we cannot expect to be able to properly collect taxes from any class in the future as the line between samurai and commoner blurs.

Perhaps an option at this point would be the suspend stipends entirely, remove any economic advantage the samurai wield and in turn pay samurai salary for working traditional samurai class jobs, such as police, soldiers, and politicians.

In turn unemployed samurai will no longer be paid to simply do nothing, I would also like to see the tax loophole further closed for merchant activity. Our system of tax collection can be overhauled, rather than collecting tax based on our former feudal system we should collect tax based on activity, such as the western style of tax collection.

For instance rather than a tax that applies only to merchants perhaps we should simply tax mercantile activity such as buying and trading. If we tax individual goods we would be able to more carefully select what should and should not be taxed rather than a blunt broad based approach as we have now which frankly makes no sense without our former feudal system.

The tax on samurai trading was a start but it raises many questions on the validity of such a system without a strict feudal structure in place.

In a world where someone can simply change their social class at will it is too confusing and complicated to expect to collect taxes based on a rigid societal structure that doesn't even exist anymore.

I'm sure these changes would be quite controversial, I only wish to see our government enriched by our tax system and not exploited as I feel it is now.

I wont formally propose anything at this time so I can hear what everyone thinks about these potentially dividing changes.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I also want to say that I do not support the appointment of non-citizens to head our central bank. While input is desired from foreign advisers, heading the national bank will be a full time job that will require full loyalty to Ezo.

This is simply something we cannot ask of our friends who must also represent the interests of their own home countries.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Matsudaira Tarou - Vice President

(Excerpts from a speech given to newly trained and armed peasant conscripts

People of Ezo, I will not mince words. We stand at the cusp of a very tumultuous time, the days are dark and the nights are long and cold. The Meiji beast sharpens its claws, preparing to invade our shores with wave after wave of men. Men who will not stop at any measure to bring down our fledgling Republic. Make no mistake about it, these men will not hesitate to drink in the spoils of war. They will rape your wives and daughters, they will murder you and your sons. This is not mere rhetoric, but an age old story repeated by every invading force since man first scrabbled together weapons of sharpened sticks and stones and attacked his neighbor. Every man, woman, and child must be prepared to fight to repel the Meiji invader. This is no longer about politics, or nationalism, or even about pride and honor. This is survival, plain and simple. I have been a part of many battles, I have seen what happens to a man when the smell of blood and combat gets to him. I have experienced that dizzying sensation of battle, when one's thoughts fall away and a man becomes a killing machine. He relies upon his training alone, not just to kill but to survive! That is why you are here today, because when the Meiji invader lands upon our shores you must be ready to fight! You must be ready to kill! YOU MUST BE READY TO SURVIVE!!

Vice President Tarou draws his katana and lets out a howling battle cry, the sound piercing the crowd of astonished onlookers who raise their fists and respond with cries of their own. Waves of battle cries roll across the newly invigorated conscripts as Vice President Tarou holds his katana above his head, a satisfied smirk crossing his face.

Separately- Vice President Tarou proposed Bill 5-1- The Militia Regulation Act. All local militias in Ezo report directly to the normal Army Command structure and are under the control of the Army Minister. Militias made up of foreign soldiers will report directly to their commander, who then reports to the Army Minister, President, and Vice President directly.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 18, 2014

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Thomas Crusoe

Gee whiz maybe the republic should have universal conscription on Ezo where officers are promoted on merit and loyalty and not social standing and faith.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to point out that at this time it is very likely that peasants and other classes effectively are richer than the majority of samurai.

Fixed stipends are a bad thing therefor.

The Abolish Stipends Bill posted:

This bill will put in motion the process in which we will abandon the outdated stipend system in favor of salary based on quality/quantity of work.

Also as proposed I wish to see us abandon our current broken model of tax collection.

Tax Reform Bill posted:

This bill will put in motion the process for us to abandon our current tax code in favor of a flexible tax code which would be based on activity rather than class.

These bills will not go into effect immediately if passed but would simply begin the process of modernization.

With these we will have far more money to both pay samurai a living wage and also to further modernize our navy and army.

If these bills fail I will not continue to push this agenda any further until I believe a good solution is in place for concerns, but for now my goal is fixing our economy, getting us out of debt, and raising the morale of our armed forces; and this is the best way for us to do this.

Every party should be for these reforms.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 18, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to add that the only other suggestion I can give to fix the current tax structure and to fix the economy of Ezo, would be to return our government to a strict feudal system, at this time all the foundations of feudalism are gone and there is no feudalism. Therefor our current feudal model of taxing is no longer valid or useful.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: I'm an idiot who cannot read, ignore this post.

Turns are still due tonight (Tuesday 3/18) as per MaxRob's post.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 18, 2014

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Iwakura Totomi, Meiji "Ambassador," Proprietor of "Sushi-tennou", future Iron Chef, Job Creator, Small Business Owner

*to a few patrons of the Sushi-tennou as they discussed tax politics over sake*

I hear they're finally talking about reforming the tax code. ... I know! About time, right? I just hope they keep small business owners like me in mind. I've been happily running this restaurant for months with very little government intervention, and business has never been better. The last thing I want for this fledgling country is for job creators like me to decide it isn't worth doing business in Ezo anymore, and we start to leave in droves to places like, I dunno, Japan, which are far more business-friendly.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
(Since we can only post 1 bill a turn the last 2 are just on the table for reading/thoughts/questions. There will be no vote for them at this time.)

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

The good finance minister, Nagai Naoyuki and I have had a good conversation on the matter of the central bank. I understand his point that to have one who's not a citizen of this nation might send a wrong message to the people of our Republic. It might even reduce the prestige, as other nations might feel the need to take this nation less seriously if they cannot find a banker among their own. And so, I withdraw my candidature, and will instead focus on my function as economic adviser, as well as member of the board of the Gate to Prosperity bank. This should be ample responsibilities for a man of my age.

But we have found a man worthy of these responsibilities. Tomita Tetsunosuke has the full support of both Mr. Nagai Naoyuki and myself. He and I are not in agreement on all issues, but we both favour a well run economy, and with this man at the tiller, we believe this will lead to more prosperity for the Ezo Republic.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon

Speech to the Sailors posted:

Brothers! I come here to you so that you may hear the truth! You have been deceived! Your admiral, who was once my friend, has abandoned our republic in cowardice and shame. You need not do the same! He lied to you, as he lied to me! Right now your country needs you, for she cannot defend herself without you. Will you truly abandon her in her hour of need? No! I know you men, I know you are men of God. God forgives the repentant, as do I! Come back to us, your brothers and sisters who guard this republic, and join arms again in comradery, that we might hold off the tyrants of Meiji from snuffing out the light of liberty! I will see to it that you are absolved, and that this shameful escapade might be put behind us for all time. Join with me, men! For Christ and Ezo!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I just want to make it clear. I support the act to return order to the militias which have been recruited. We can not allow militias to be recruited wildly, and putting them under the control of the government is absolutely necessary. That is not to disparage those who have joined militias, but to have the maximum usefulness we need to incorporate them into a formal structure of command to ensure that we can defeat any Meiji invasion. However, it is my hope, my fondest desire, that the Meiji will never set foot on Ezo. I hereby announce that I am taking full control of the Navy of the Republic of Ezo personally, absorbing the naval portfolio into my own administration, as Commander in Chief. When it comes down to it, there is no one in Ezo with more experience leading the navies than myself. I will lead our navy to true victory and defeat the scourge of the Meiji navy once and for all should they step foot off of their islands.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
(( Both of the heads don't seem to have PMs.. is it still possible to join this? ))

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Not a head, but yep! If you have IRc, you can yell at them in #bop. Details in the OP.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

EZO FLAG REDESIGN COMPETITION

I would also like to announce that over the next few months we will undertake a competition for the redesign of a new national flag for the Republic of Ezo. Any person may make multiple submissions. The winner will be chosen by a panel of esteemed judges by voting and will be adopted as the new flag of the nation. In a time of conflict with the Meiji, we must reinforce Ezo's national feeling with the creation of a new flag that truly reflects Ezo society.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Akihiro Kurosawa
(( I'd like to claim the position of Foreign Minister ))
Rising through the ranks of popularity among the Christian population, on a platform of co-operation with Western powers, increased foreign influence and a more streamlined foreign policy. A member of the Christian Faction.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
(OOC: We talked to him GMs and helped him work out this char, and we'd like to shift him into the Foreign Minister position since ForeverBWFC doesn't seem to be playing anymore)

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Possibly Former Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

What is project Red Eagle, who is in charge? A faction within the government is looking to extort credits out of our governments coffers with threats of assassination and with very little explanation on who is running this project, what the project is, and on who's authority it is being ordered.

I refuse to allocate funds for secret pet projects of congressmen, and I know that congress should not approve of any secret measures that would drain our meager budget in this time of war.

In light of these events I may have to prepare for my resignation as I am rapidly losing faith in the ability of many of my fellow congressmen and many of my fellow ministers to successfully defend and run this country.

If I die for refusing to fund this project let it be known I died an honorable death.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

I hope you will reconsider this. The economy's current growth is your work as well as mine of course, and it would be a great blow to our Republic indeed if you were to resign. This Red Eagle business will not go in the budget, which will be rational thing, being done by rational men.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

Stalin-Chan posted:

Nagai Naoyuki, Possibly Former Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

What is project Red Eagle, who is in charge? A faction within the government is looking to extort credits out of our governments coffers with threats of assassination and with very little explanation on who is running this project, what the project is, and on who's authority it is being ordered.

I refuse to allocate funds for secret pet projects of congressmen, and I know that congress should not approve of any secret measures that would drain our meager budget in this time of war.

In light of these events I may have to prepare for my resignation as I am rapidly losing faith in the ability of many of my fellow congressmen and many of my fellow ministers to successfully defend and run this country.

If I die for refusing to fund this project let it be known I died an honorable death.

Baby shogun
I myself have never heard of any such red eagle. I do hope the finance minister is not mad.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 20, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

For now I will continue my services as Finance Magistrate as these factions within the government appear to be acting alone.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 20, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Interstellar Owl posted:

Akihiro Kurosawa
(( I'd like to claim the position of Foreign Minister ))
Rising through the ranks of popularity among the Christian population, on a platform of co-operation with Western powers, increased foreign influence and a more streamlined foreign policy. A member of the Christian Faction.

Welcome aboard! Feel free to send orders for this turn if you want - we haven't quite processed them yet. Just do so ASAP.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Thomas Blakiston

A Letter to Kasuga Saemon posted:

My friend, I must insist that you join me on my next wilderness expedition. The current one has lifted my spirits greatly and proved rather profitable from a scientific standpoint. I believe I have captured a new species of owl, hitherto unknown to European science.

I have conducted a battery of tests on the specimens I have acquired, and I am quite certain that they are a new species. Further, I am beginning to have suspicions about the origins of the various animal species upon these islands. In particular, it seems as though the birds of Hokkaido have more in common with those of Siberia than with those of Japan. I have yet to fully realize this theory of mine, but I assure you that I am making excellent progress.

Now there is but one test left to perform - the most important one of all, I dare say - and I shall relish doing so. Now, I shall answer that age old question asked by mankind whenever he encounters a new creature: "But how does it taste?"

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 20, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

An elite soldier of LMM combating vile Meiji samurai using unconventional techniques.

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Thomas Crusoe

This seems to be the longest winter in recent memory.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

mynamewas posted:

Thomas Crusoe

This seems to be the longest winter in recent memory.
shogun
maybe Ill hit puberty by spring

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, it'll be up in a few hours.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Update 5: Quarter 1 (Jan - Mar) 1878:

Domestic News

Cherry Blossom Blizzard
Japan itself is much like the Sakura petal: she is beautiful, yet fragile. - Matsudaira Sadaaki

There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. - John Adams

In response to the nationalist party’s rapid reformation into an American style political party, the homeland faction in Congress adopted a similar organizational method, restyling itself as Sakura-kai, or the Sakura Party. This was not difficult, as the Nationalist example was largely followed, and some of the same advisors who assisted the nationalists were more than willing to assist the homelanders in adopting the same party organization and principles. Though they have yet to face an election, the Sakura party hopes to utilize this new organization and clarity of message to support their future campaigns.

The Sakura Party largely shifted their ideological focus away from revanchism, which appears to have enjoyed considerable cross-party support, and instead toward the preservation of tradition and order within Ezo. This has resulted in Sakura-kai enjoying the support of the shinto-buddhist laity, devout buddhist, traditionalists, and those seeking to preserve samurai privilege against perceived foreign threats. Channeling the general anti-Christian, anti-foreign sentiment held by many within Ezo, Sakura-kai has become something analogous to conservative or reactionary parties of the West, with a strong emphasis on traditional religious and political institutions. Sakurakai has also come out more strongly in support of the claimant emperor and the shogun both, taking a stronger position than homeland had in the past.

With these proclamations, and with a strong emphasis on tradition and anti-Christian/foreign influences, Sakoku-ha (chained country faction) leaders willingly joined the Sakura party, resulting in Sakura reinforcing its position as the official opposition, and sitting only 5 seats behind the Nationalists and a majority in congress. All of homeland went willingly into the new Sakura Party’s fold, changing their official affiliation in congress.

This party reformation has resulted in the consolidation of the factions within Ezo into two major parties - Nationalists and Sakura, with the merchant faction splintering into three independents (see below). While the Nationalists narrowly control a majority, the conduct of the war with Meiji will likely determine whether they continue to control Congress come elections in 1879.

Congress Composition posted:

Congress:
House of Representatives (total 50): Speaker Enomoto Michiakira
Sakura Party: 21 (42%)
Nationalist Party: 26 (52%)
Independent: 3 (6%)
Next election: May 1879 (Congress)

(+Sakura Party, -Homeland factoin, -Sakoku faction)

Attack on Tokugawa
Is that… a… balloon? What the hell? I love balloons. - President Enomoto
Seid ihr das Essen? Nein, wir sind der Jäger! - Erwin Balz

While Meiji loomed off Ezo’s shores, deep within Ezo’s borders, a great celebration and elite party was planned near the young Shogun Tokugawa’s burgeoning castle project. Yet incomplete, the castle is still largely just a foundation, with grandiose plans on Tokugawa’s part to construct the greatest castle in East Asia.

To fulfill this goal, the Shogun and his chamberlain prepared a gathering of notables within Ezo, a grand shindig to commemorate the creation of this new fortress. While President Enomoto was unfortunately preoccupied, he did send via raven a very nice note wishing the Shogun the best. In the past few months, the republican government was instrumental in aiding the construction efforts, with the newly-formed Ezo Army Corps of Engineers both supervising and guarding the efforts from dastardly Meiji plots.

The Shogun and his elite patrons gathered to celebrate the new year on February 2nd (Ezo maintaining the traditional Chinese New Year still), and the Shogun’s Great Castlely Inaugural Ball and New Year Celebration was thrown. The uppercrust of all over the island were in attendance, with the Shogun and his chamberlain politely but aggressively pressing for donations for the war effort - the majority of which would be used in the construction of his great fortress.

Among the many proposals for the fortress, which ranged from the practical to the childish, one notable proposal stood out to the gathered patrons - that the fortress could replace Goryokaku as both the symbolic and administrative hub of the Republic. While many still prefer to rebuild Goryokaku (for symbolic and sentimental reasons), the location of the proposed castle near lakes Onuma and Konuma a short journey north of the capital make it a somewhat realistic prospect. As the foundation of Ezo’s nascent railroad line would certainly service such a route relatively quickly, it could foster the construction and make realistic the journey between the economic hub and its proposed political hub. A group of gathered American city planners were especially intrigued by the idea, and the idea of planning certain buildings in a European or American style across a planned capital city was floated with mixed reception.

As the elite hobnobbing continued, midnight approached, and the patrons gathered to celebrate the midnight hour, and chase away the negative spirits of the year. The fears of invasion by Meiji Japan made this a particularly desirable prospect, and with great vigor fireworks, balloons, and other such celebratory devices were prepared. At the stroke of midnight, the crowd burst into a great cheer, and the European and Japanese crowd combined to enjoy a moment of merriment and celebration.

As the merriment went into full swing however, movements around the party hinted at what was to come. As most guests imbibed of liquors and generally caroused and set off their last batches of fireworks, military forces gathered near the outskirts of the party, taking advantage of the chaos to organize and prepare to act. At precisely Rei Kurai San Juu, the Ball was suddenly disrupted by the entrance of armed forces of the Republic of Ezo, who immediately began demanding the audience of the young shogun.

The chamberlain of the shogun, as his regent, attempted to defuse the situation, but the young shogun himself intervened. As but a child of 14 years, the young shogun was not particularly adept at handling his liquor, and he stumbled upon the military forces sternly demanding his attention. Cursing them and demanding they leave his party, the soldiers somberly informed him of his arrest, which took a few moments for the young shogun to register. While contemplating flight, the shogun instead drew his sword, and cursed the soldiers, calling them traitors, and informing them that they will “befall the same fate as those who stood in my way in Sado.” Alas, sober and favored by the gods, the shogun fought more bravely in Sado, and was quickly wrestled to the ground by the accompanying soldiers.

A brief brawl ensued, as many foreigners and neutral onlookers took advantage of the chaos to attempt to flee the party, and supporters of the shogun began agitating for the soldiers to leave in order to protect their shogun. Quick thinking on the part of the chamberlain in staying his supporters’ hands prevented any serious bloodshed, though the soldiers were forced to wrestle many of the shogun’s supporters outside to prevent them from attempting to storm the building. The ensuing struggle saw the abandonment of the management of party favors - releasing a great number of balloons that had strangely been kept apart from the celebration, into the sky.

Ultimately, the shogun was subdued, and was transported back to Hakodate in chains and in the President’s custody. He stands accused of the murder of Masako Blakiston, as well as for his role in facilitating the chaos that resulted in the injury or murder of additional dozen people at Blakiston’s wedding. Blakiston and the British immediately applauded the arrest, declaring that the evidence of their investigations pointed toward the shogun, and demanding justice for the dead. The shogun’s supporters decried the arrest as treasonous and lacking substantial evidence, and vowed to defend the shogun legally, and if necessary, by force. Public opinion largely favored the shogun, and while some certainly suspect his guilt in the affair, the general lack of concern for foreigners, as well as respect for the Shogun’s conduct in the war and his position as shogun shielded him from much criticism. Whether this will change as the trial commences is uncertain, but as it stands, many are dismayed and angry over his arrest.

The chamberlain of the shogun has the most reason to be dismayed - at the hour of his height, as the shogun’s castle appeared on the verge of attracting donors and potentially serving as the capital of the Republic itself, the spotlight shifted dramatically away from his plans. The overall plan is still not without merit or backers, but will need to be relaunched, and likely rebranded, in light of recent events.

(-one alleged wedding crasher, +shogun in custody, +outrage over his arrest, +++British-Ezo relations, +Ezo has an Army Corps of Engineers, +an incredibly sad chamberlain)

Grounded for Life
I protest these insulting actions! These radical republicans have forgotten their place, they exist to serve the shogunate, and not the other way around. There is no Ezo Republic without the bakufu, and there is no bakufu without the rightful shogun! Free the shogun or feel our swords!” - Arato Ichizo, Tokugawa retainer

The entire arrest operation was massive in scope, perhaps fittingly the largest domestic military operation since Otori Keisuke’s attempted coup of the previous year. Not only were the Ezo Army Corps of Engineers, other army units, and local police units under the authorization of President Enomoto involved, but so were various military formations under Vice President Matsudaira Tarou’s command, agents of the Shinsengumi, and even the foreign fighters of the Les Militaires Mondiaux. The overwhelming presence of republican forces, as well as chamberlain Naritami’s quick thinking, was enough to cow the shogunate guards to stand down, recognizing the authority of the government.

His current whereabouts are unknown, but he is undoubtedly in the hands of the government of the Ezo Republic, awaiting trial for rampant sororicide and terrorism. Rumors abound that the shogun is under intense stress, restricted to his quarters and given meals without dessert. Whispers also abound that he is being deprived of his expansive collection of toy replicas of weapons and torture devices while Others claim that the shogun has gone insane from the conditions, reporting that they hear wailing and crying laughter at all hours, the once august ruler screaming, “hahahahahahahha I want my haha haha haha.”

The bakufu-in-exile is currently in flux at the shock of the arrest of their leader. An angry faction has already formed, furiously demanding the immediate release of the shogun, with redress to quickly follow. However, most of the officials and clan members of the Tokugawa are too bewildered to do anything. Leadership of the clan is currently in the hands of the regent, the Chamberlain Matsudaira Naritaimi, until a new heir can be chosen. Were the shogun to be removed from his position (either legally, by abdication, or by death), the most likely successor would be his younger brother Tokugawa Satotaka, who is currently 13 years old. It remains to be seen what the regent will do now- he can either abandon the young shogun to his fate and move forward in any sort of succession, or aggressively fight in his liege's defense. Either way, combined with his shrewd planning at the castle, noble actions in defusing the arrest situation, and newfound role as regent, Naritami’s importance has risen as a result of recent events.

Iron Chef Getto
Allez Cuisine! - Hijikata Toshizo

In an attempt to distract from the many worrisome events surrounding Ezo, the speaker of Congress Enomoto Michiakira organized a great cooking competition, which he titled “Iron Chef”. The competition would see great chefs of Ezo compete against one another in a cooking competition, as the would be master cooks adapt to cooking after the reveal of a secret ingredient to base their dishes around.

To assist in this competition, Enomoto Michiakira constructed a small stadium in some land out in the countryside West of Hakodate, and advertised his competition as he gathered the freshest ingredients from across Ezo in preparation. A great buzz was made as the finest fruits, vegetables, grains, and meats were gathered. Hijikata Toshizo, having recovered from his poisoning ordeal, was declared the judge of the competition - a somewhat bizarre choice given his recent rather unfortunate run in with his private cook. Declaring the winner to be his new cook, Toshizo prepared a secret ingredient for the competition.

Answering the call were Enomoto Michiakira, himself an accomplished cook, and Iwakura Totomi, owner of sushi-tennou and recognized as one of the premier sushi chefs in Ezo. No others answered the call, until near the end of the submission period, a mysterious ramen chef rumored to be wandering the countryside cast his hat into the competition, but did not reveal his name, preferring only to be known as “Nagai Ichirou”.

The cooking competition began with great excitement and ceremony, as Hijikata Toshizo revealed himself as the great chairman of the iron chef cooking tourney. Alongside him judging the competition were four additional celebrity judges. The first was the most famous Geisha in Ezo, Kanoko Takeshima. The second judge was Shoota Yuu, a famous merchant renowned for his love of American tobacco. The third judge was Nanako Yumenosuke, an elderly accomplished chef renowned for her fishballs. last was the youngest of the judges, Petennouk, an Ainu man known as the premier donut chef in all of Ezo.

The five judges assembled, the three contestants entered the stadium, as the newspapers of Ezo scribbled down every detail of the event. Toshizo then strode to the middle of the arena to reveal the secret ingredient of the tourney, as speculation ran rampant over what exotic meat or vegetable the chefs would need to utilize for their dishes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqY8EZ21-g#t=29

With chicken chosen as the secret ingredient, the chefs began their craft. Mixing and matching the various spices, noodles, and other assorted materials, the chefs cooked for over an hour, with the smells of the culinary arts filling the arena. The three aspiring chefs presented their dishes to the judges:

Dish 1: Teriyaki chicken - Enomoto Michiakira

Judge 1: Umae!~~~ I can taste the chicken, but alas, it is too plain.
Judge 2: I agree, it is good but this will not be enough to win. My customers would be offended.
Judge 3: *cough couch* tastes like ash. Next.
Judge 4: I think it is good, but it would be better served in ball form.
Judge 5: This isn’t sweet enough. Add more sugar.

Dish 2: - Yakitori - Nagai Ichirou

Judge 1: What am I, some street vendor?
Judge 2: This is so good~~~ Umae~~~ I want to take it home to my customers!
Judge 3: *chews* *spits* I can’t taste anything. Pass.
Judge 4: Can you make these into smaller balls, bread them, then put them on a stick?
Judge 5: Round things do not fit on sticks. Or do they? Hrm.

Dish 3: Spicy Curry Chicken - Iwakura Totomi

Judge 1: Now this has flavor!
Judge 2: Oh my, my customers would be feeling this for days! Success!
Judge 3: *chews* I can taste it. It tastes like chicken. Good.
Judge 4: Umae! All it lacks is fish balls, but that’s fine!
Judge 5: I approve. It just could use… more sugar.

The final decision by chairman Hijikata Yoshizo declared, by unanimous vote of the judges, Iwakura Totomi as the first Iron Chef Champion of Ezo. The crowd erupted in applause, and stormed the stage in order to get a taste of some of the delicious spicy curry chicken that Totomi had crafted for his victory.

Might Makes Right
What is justice? Justice is what the strong make of the world. The strong do what they will, and the weak suffer what they must. - Matsudaira Sadaaki

As the crowd advanced however, it became apparent that something was amiss. While much of the crowd was cheering in support, a chant could be heard gathering from the periphery of the stadium - MEIJI SPY. MEIJI SPY. MEIJI SPY. As the chaotic situation built around Totomi, blows began to fall upon him, with security and onlookers unaware that the crowd was not in fact lavishing him with praise. Screams began to grow louder as a brawl erupted around Totomi, and guards attempted to intervene, but it was too late. Totomi was brutally beaten on the floor of the competition, his blood mixing with the various dishes and ingredients which had yet to be cleared from the center stage. Guards managed to finally control the situation and disperse the crowd, only to find none other than Matsudaira Sadaaki among them, calling for the “meiji dog’s” head.

Observing the state of Totomi, who had since fallen unconscious as a result of the beating he just endured, Sadaaki retreated with his forces, but not before making a grand declaration. “No Meiji dog is safe within our borders or without,” Sadaaki declared, challenging any and all who doubt the righteousness of Ezo and its cause to personal battle.

Totomi was rushed to the nearest hospital, which was unfortunately some distance away, but he remained alive throughout the ordeal. Much of the rest of the following months was spent in recuperation, and while Totomi has recovered considerably from the ordeal, he is now a cripple. His spine was badly damaged in the attack on his person, and he has been reduced to crude wheelchairs or crutches in order to move himself about. The only consolation is the great trophy forged by the speaker of congress to commemorate his culinary triumph, and a searing headache which seems to cause delirium and the hearing of voices on a regular basis.

The culprit behind the attack is without question Matsudaira Sadaaki, and combined with his previous conduct in the Blakiston wedding, many are now questioning his judgement. While certainly one of the more competent (and loyal) or Enomoto’s magistrates, discretion is not Sadaaki’s strongest suit, and christians and non-christians alike are beginning to fear his vigilante justice.

As yet, no charges have been levied against Sadaaki, who regularly brags of him and his mob of supporters tough actions against foreigners, christians, and Meiji “spies”. A rather polarizing figure, some consider him a hero brave enough to stand up for what is right, while others consider him little more than an opportunistic thug.

(+Iron Chef Champion Totomi, +Sadaaki Mob Shenanigans, -Use of Totomi’s legs, +Tension over Sadaaki)

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 27, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kaishu blue
Are you serious? Two mutinies within 6 months? - Captain Nagano Hyobe, T.S.V. Harou Kitei

Magistrate and Congressman Katsu Kaishū has had an illustrious career both in and prior to the Republic of Ezo. Merchant, statesman, government minister, Congressman, faction-leader and all around the master wheeler-dealer of an entire class of wheeler-dealers. The richest Japanese in Ezo, Katsu Kaishu had it all.

And so, as the new year begins, the naval minister institutes a “Modern Reform” of the the Navy, searching for potential NINJA operatives and any of those who might have lingering ties to Arai Ikunosuke, now captured in Hakodate. Kaishu’s actions prove to be quite successful, finding spies here and there and everywhere, purging the NINJAs before they have a chance to purge him. In their stead, Kaishu staffed the naval forces with good and loyal men who clearly don’t go traipsing around the night in black pyjamas and carrying throwing stars.

What Katsu Kaishu didn’t count on was the heavy Shinsengumi presence on his ships - ostensibly to pursue the same goal of ensuring no NINJA infiltration, but Kaishu and many others suspect on a mission to watch over the Navy Magistrate and ensure his peaceful removal from office. For as the new year began, President Enomoto announced the third firing in six months, removing Katsu Kaishu from his position and assuming direct control over the navy. While many grumbled, this action was in fact fully in line with the President’s constitutional powers, and Kaishu was forced to act quickly to preserve his position.

As the announcement reached the navy, many in the navy feared another operation like that of Arai Ikunosuke, and rumors flew throughout the fleet that Katsu Kaishu would use the navy in some personal vendetta. Kaishu responded by gathering the merchant leaders of the fleet and demanding their loyalty, calling Ezo a “sinking ship” and promising power and riches beyond their wildest dreams should they join him in betraying Ezo and defecting to Meiji with their vessels. Many merchants equivocated - these were some of the most powerful men in Ezo, recently elevated to samurai, and fearful that their many possessions would be seized or destroyed by the government before Meiji could intervene. Kaishu promised riches to eclipse their meager current fortunes, and spoke of stashed away treasures in foreign banks. Most of the merchants declared their intention to remain neutral and return to Ezo and dismantle their weapons, but they were not given a true choice. As those who did not join Kaishu prepared to sail away, thugs loyal to Kaishu attacked the room, murdering all who disobeyed. In one fell swoop, Kaishu managed to kill most of Ezo’s merchant elite, and take the rest with him to Meiji.

The 35 ships now under Kaishu’s command immediately began to fall into disarray, as some 10 ships’ crews refused his order and opened fire on the traitorous vessels. The ensuing combat saw 7 of the ships destroyed, and Kaishu escape to Meiji with only 20 of the vessels. The remaining 8 merchant vessels returned to Ezo now devoid of their merchant masters.

Yet, Kaishu’s troubles were not over. The Shinsengumi were aware of his plans, and dispatched a small fleet to secure his ships and ensure his defection scheme would not be successful. One of the new French-made frigates intercepted the fleet of 20 armed merchant vessels as it fled across the strait to Meiji, opening fire on the defecting vessels. As this attack occurred, members of the Shinsengumi who remained concealed on Kaishu’s boats struck, and set fire to many of the boats, killing its crew. The ensuing melee saw an additional 12 ships either destroyed, burned, or put out of commission, as the french armored frigate had little trouble engaging the far inferior boats. Where the boat did have trouble was in speed - and Kaishu expeditiously retreated with his remaining 8 vessels, successfully approaching Aomori harbor. Presumably, he is now in custody at the court of the Meiji Emperor.

As a result, Ezo’s merchant fleet now lies in ruins, and many of its most elite merchants lie dead. With Kaishu’s defection, the mercantile empire of the richest man in Ezo now lies without heir, and the Ezo state has assumed control over much of his extensive property and operations. This represents some 10 credits worth of property, and it remains to be seen whether the state will be content to sell this property off - and to whom. This also places the state in control of the only railroad in Ezo, which was being constructed to connect Sapporo to Hakodate. Akihiro Kurosawa has taken the initiative in seeking investors for the rail line independently, offering a plan for its management and expansion, becoming the frontrunner in any likely transfer of the project.

The economy of Ezo has suffered some from the events, though as personnel fill the gap and foreigners or other locals assume control over much of Kaishu’s empire, a recovery should be forthcoming. That is, unless Kaishu is right - and returns to Ezo victorious with Meiji escort.

(+merchant power vacuum, +Katsu in Meiji, -Naval Magistrate, - 27 merchant ships, -economic growth)

drat it feels good to be a Banksta
Let’s get one thing clear here. You’re not here to get rich. You’re here to make sure that things are stable enough that we all will be rich. - Wilbur Morrow, American banker and special advisor

Horace Capron’s earlier efforts are not for naught, for his economic initiatives have finally borne official recognition from the government in recent months. No less authority than President Enomoto himself declares his support for the American special advisor’s efforts to centralize Ezo’s banking system.

Capron moves swiftly, declaring the creation of a Central Bank of Ezo for handling the monetary policy of the new nation. While the country is young, no shortage of wealth has found its way into the island, between wealthy samurai exiles to substantial foreign aid and trade. Quickly, the Bank gets to work in regulating the monetary supply of the country, putting in basic policies inspired by the First and Second Banks of the United States, as well as the current national bank system. With these regulations in place, the possibility of rapid inflation, as well as other economic threats, begins to reduce. The Central Bank, which some have dubbed as a Samurai Reserve, is now available for all sorts of wacky and wild proposals, from managing interest rates to working with the Department of the Treasury.

Because of the security concerns of the past year, the Shinsengumi is dispatched to protect the facilities of this new Samurai Reserve, should any masked madman attempt to break in and disrupt operations before fleeing on steam-powered penny farthings in an epic plot to drive Thomas Blakiston into bankruptcy.

However, the Samurai Reserve is in need of someone to head it. While Capron is the architect of the system, it would be most unfitting for a foreigner to receive the keys to the island’s financial kingdom. And thus, notable economist Tomita Tetsunosuke is proposed by both Horace Capron and Nagai Naoyuki to chair the Samurai Reserve.

In addition to the creation of the Central Bank of Ezo/Samurai Reserve, Capron’s personal Gate to Prosperity Bank continues as a mighty private effort, pouring investment into more risky new business ventures and providing low-interest rate loans to the many merchants of Ezo. Even as the fate of Katsu Kaishu hangs in the balance, these efforts have unexpectedly granted a pro-American influence over the merchant population, who are looking for a patron, any patron, to lead them to the promised land of mammon and horsies.

(+1 central bank, +new head of the Samurai Reserve)

I Once Was Lost
I surrender myself… unto God… for only he can know my fate, for only he can bring me my salvation… -Arai Ikunosuke upon his return to Hakodate, after being asked to surrender to Ezo forces

In a rather bizarre turn of events, the 2 missing steam powered warships of Ezo’s navy that disappeared along with Arai Ikunosuke have returned to port in Hakodate, replete with (most) of their crew. While Kasuga Saemon, accompanied with the Shinsengumi, were preparing to set sail in search of the lost ships, the ships appeared on the horizon and hailed the harbor to allow entry. After necessary security checks and mutual suspicion, the vessels were allowed to dock without event.

As shinsengumi agents stormed the boats and took captive their occupants, the crew surrendered peacefully and without incident. The blanket pardon issued by the President of Ezo was given special attention by the crew, who professed loyalty to Ezo and declared their intention to fight Meiji regardless of past actions. Instead, they willingly handed over Arai Ikunosukue - or what looked like him, as the man was now a shell of his former self. Seemingly driven mad and delusion, Arai Ikunosuke muttered only seemingly disjointed religious verse as he was captured by the authorities, and accused of treason for his actions in absconding with parts of the navy.

The crew explained that they had originally been told by Ikunosuke that this was an official mission, and then after discovery that Ikunosuke intended to act unilaterally despite his removal from power, many had simply gone home or taken the fleet. Those loyal to Ikunosuke, especially the Christians and those who had served with him for some time in his lengthy tenure, followed his lead, as Ikunosuke claimed to be preparing an ambush on Meiji forces. Shortly after hiding up the Ezo coast, Ikunosuke’s mental state deteriorated, and many of his NINJA units and loyal crew began defecting, as Ikunosuke became crippled by delerium. It was only a few weeks before their return to Hakodate that the crew launched an effortless coup and simply decided to head home, having heard word of the pardon that they could expect.

With Arai Ikunosuke in custody, the crews of the ships took the opportunity to reunite with their families and rest in preparation for any naval activity that would be required of them. The ships were repaired and re stocked, and staffed to fill any vacancies, and appear in working condition. Ikunosuke remains in custody and on trial for treason, though many are calling for mercy, for his mental state has deteriorated to the point where he requires considerable care. In either case, the navy became reunited.

(+Arai Ikunosuke captured, +2 steam ships)

One man’s terrorist...
Wealth and opportunity await you… when have I misled you before? My disappearance was unfortunate, but in my flight, I found opportunity unprecedented... - Thomas Crusoe in a letter distributed throughout Hakodate

Across Hakodate a series of mysterious letters began arriving as the winter of 1878 set in. These letters were largely addressed to the various warring factions of Hakodate’s criminal enterprises, exclusively those which were formerly under the command and control of Thomas Crusoe. While the letters were intended to remain secret, the sheer volume of letters, and their unreliable addressees, saw the information contained within them spread like wildfire. While this had the effect of making Thomas Crusoe’s location rather well known, it still masked his intention, and ensured a great number of his former employees heeded the letter’s call to meet him in his hiding place deep within Ainu territory.

A great exodus of many former criminals ensued, with law enforcement not far behind. The shinsengumi wasted no time in tracking Crusoe based on these letters, and as law enforcement and former criminal elements approached Crusoe’s hideout deep in the woods, it was clear that Crusoe had prepared for their arrival, and would not go down without a fight. Fearing an elaborate trap, the shinsengumi largely withdrew, but have begun watching Crusoe’s movements and monitoring his operations deep in Ezo’s hinterland. War with Meiji, and the harsh Winter, have thus far provided distraction and protection for whatever scheme Crusoe is hatching.

The only hints of his intentions have come of reports that a band of bandits have begun scouting the lands of the Matsumae, skipping past smaller settlements, and foraging the countryside to survive in the difficult weather. The shinsengumi have requested military support, but such a request has been slow due to the war with Meiji, and for now they will have to be content with containing whatever schemes Crusoe has hatched with the help of some of his former criminal associates.

(+Bandits in the hinterland, +Crusoe’s location revealed, +fears of banditry and chaos at Crusoe’s hands)

Defense Continues
When are they getting here? - anonymous ashigaru on the Eastern Wall

Prior to his untimely arrest, the Shogun had been very active in the training of the peasant vassals of the Tokugawa bakufu-in-exile. Modern riflery, explosives, partisan tactics, urban warfare, even anti-amphibious defense, all such techniques were bestowed upon the stalwart nomin. They are still prepared to be called into action whenever necessary, and are currently under the command of Chamberlain Matsudaira Naritami.

(+peasant warriors)

President Enomoto, in his capacity as Navy Magistrate and President, attempted to smooth over the various troubles associated with the disunity that has characterized Ezo and its navy. Utilizing most of his time and resources, the President boosted navy morale with constant reminders of his previous victories, and engaged in war games and practices to coordinate the fleet to prepare for Meiji’s invasion. His efforts were supported by the French, who sent the promised 15 torpedo boats in late March, with the final 10 to arrive in late June. The French also granted use of their ships for war games, and drilled in mock operations that saw the french ships coordinate with and support the Ezo fleet. Jules Brunet, placed in temporary command of the 5 french warships in Hakodate, provided an extremely adept commander, and his fluency in both Japanese and French proved essential in coordinating their efforts. The net result was to prepare Ezo’s fleet for the coming naval engagements with Meiji, and demonstrate France’s commitment to its ally as well as the navy’s unity and strength.

These operations also saw the establishment of advanced reconnaissance and intelligence techniques, ensuring Ezo would not be caught unawares.

(+Unity of Navy, +Intimidation, +15 Torpedo Boats, +Sailor Morale)

For his part, Matsudaira Sadaaki, when not engaging in thuggery or intimidation, toured Ezo’s countryside to bolster troop morale and ensure the organization and training of its various militia forces. His legendary service in battle, as well as clear determination and skill, inspired many farmers and peasants to believe that their role in the upcoming fight would actually make a difference.

(+Militia morale)

Alongside Sadaaki, the Vice President Matsudaira Tarou drafted plans for a nation-wide conscription plan, largely codifying and organizing the various militias into part time military service organizations. This was a particularly adept use of the already established militias, and in line with congressional legislation, saw the militias more heavily regulated, organized, and staffed. While the peasantry is certainly armed (and many fear the dangers this might pose) it is considerably less fractionalized, and recruitment was increased as areas of insufficient manpower were identified. The men conscripted were assured of the temporary nature of their service, and received small compensation, boosting morale (though at some expense). The men were used not just in training but also in constructing various redoubts and defensive fortifications across the island - in some cases useful for defense, and in others, useful in building camaraderie and coordination.

(+Regulation of militias, +10,000 militia recruits, +militia morale, +army upkeep costs)

The new Foreign Minister Akihiro Kurosawa has been studying the command structures of the militaries of the various great powers. In addition to his main work, he has begun drafting a proposal to institute a General Staff system to further modernize the republic’s forces. Won’t anyone give him a consideration, and work with him to make the dream of a state-of-the-art samurai army a reality?

(+General Staff underway?)

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 27, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Indigenous Industriousness Indignation
Who would you rather work with… one of us, or one of them? - Matsumae clan retainer

Even as the Yamato scurry amongst themselves with betrayals and rumors of war, the aboriginal inhabitants of Ezochi are building. Under the guidance of Big Chieftain Tsukinoeaino of the Bear Star Clan, the Ainu are swiftly and industriously creating small-scale enterprises of lumber, hunting, trapping, and providing native guides to visitors. A cottage industry of foreigners has developed around the Ainu villages, spurred on both the chieftain and English missionary John Batchelor, encouraging curious outsiders to see this quaint caucasian-looking primitives.

But not much is quaint, nor primitive, about the new network of Hunting Lodges being built by the tribes. They are well-stocked, protected wooden structures, some complete with sweathouses, and fortified not unlike the sakamogi created for national anti-invader defense. But more than merely buildings, these lodges serve as a new form of organization for the Ainu. Young Ainu men gather to learn the ways of the hunt using modern techniques, going deep into the wilds, learning the ways of tracking and of the ancestors with the latest weaponry accorded by the foreigners. These hunting lodges are highly mobile, catching much prey. Visitors watch with great interest, admiring the prowess of the Ainu, now renowned to be bear fighters.

However, not all is well in this rustic Eden. The simmering trade war between the Matsumae clan and their erstwhile native vassals continues. The clan head Matsumae Takahiro has announced a series of favorable deals to those who seek… the traditional relationship between the Ainu and Yamato. Not only do those who swear undying loyalty to clan Matsumae gain access to better trade deals via Matsumae middlemen merchants, societal doors are suddenly opened as their children are able to receive access to education through tutors at the Matsumae school. While perhaps not of equal quality to what the children of samurai can get, they receive as good as non-samurai Matsumae clan retainers receive, with full knowledge of such winning topics as classical Chinese literature, poetry, Shinto-Buddhist beliefs, and foreign languages such as French and English. Already, several tribes have taken up the offers.

(+Ainu commerce, +Ainu hunting lodges catch great game, /division between Matsumae-loyalist and pro-Bear Star tribes)

Built in a day
The country is imperiled by foreign aggression, its people must unite through voluntary association to advance their livelihoods. -Saji Kobei

Aside from playing the Japanese game of turning brother against native brother, the Matsumae have been quite active in establishing their own influence over the island at large. Taking advantage of the defense-focused situation, the Matsumae form the Ezo Transport Association, designed to provide the logistics backbone for the national defense situation. The clan retainers prove to be quite effective in addressing the transportation needs of the country, owing to their knowledge of the lay of the land. Both Yamato- mostly members of the Matsumae clan and hangers-on, and Ainu are employed by this Ezo Transport Association.

The new Foreign Minister Akihiro Kurosawa has unexpectedly gotten involved with the ETA, as well. Seeking to aid the general defense of the island, he has contacted his French and American associates for looking into the creation of rail systems to deliver troops and defense materiels around the island. While such an initiative would be expensive and require investment, plans are already being drafted for future consideration...

?

(+transport group- future Department of Transportation?, ?possible railways for Ezo?)

Saji Kobe, an important peasant leader among peasants working on the estates belonging to the Matsudaira clan, has moved to the Matsumae domain. Seeking opportunity in these lands, and noting the friction between the Ainu and Japanese, Saji Kobe has sought to increase the production Matsumae’s territories through production brigades and other peasant associations. The Matsumae have largely tolerated this development if only not to drive any more supporters to the Ainu camp, but already Kobe has begun organizing groups of peasants to discuss politics alongside their economically productive organizations. These efforts have been especially effective at attracting landless peasants, or those seeking new employment, though for the most part labor shortages have virtually eliminated joblessness in the Republic (with military recruitment doing the rest).

Saji Kobe has also been sending out feelers to Ainu groups and others within the Republic, pledging his support for both the peasantry and traditional values. This has involved open support for the Shogun (despite his associated troubles). The Ainu were suspicious of his intentions, especially with his movement to Matsumae territory, and largely rebuffed his efforts, perceiving it as a possible Matsumae ploy.

The sudden presence of such a figure representing a voice for the peasantry incites a sudden increase in class consciousness among the lowest of the classes (in practice) of Ezo (well, courtesans and actors aside), and create a minor surge in Freedom Party support, albeit largely unofficial and ceremonial.

(+Matsumae land productivity, +organization of peasants within matsumae territory, +Freedom Party rising)

Gotta Have Faith
Can this new Christian God really protect me from bullets? - Anonymous Soldier

The continuing efforts to preach the true faith of Ezo continued in earnest, as many of Ezo’s religious leaders sought to take advantage of the wartime mobilization to preach to Ezo’s soldiers about the virtues of their respective faiths. With soldiers fearful of the future, and seeking the protection of a higher power, these efforts have proven especially effective.

Kasuga Saemon, the preeminent Christian leader in Ezo, has continued his preaching efforts, converting military units and peasants like in order to bolster morale and spread his version of catholic Christianity. To assist him in these efforts, Saemon has founded Ezo’s first native seminaries, where local Ezo will be trained to be priests and establish a church hierarchy in the Republic. His efforts were met with considerable interest by the people of Ezo, and many Christians, especially from families with sons unfit for combat or individuals without families, have signed up to be trained for the priesthood. As it stands, the supply will almost certainly keep up with growing demand for some time to come.

Some foreign missionaries seemed a bit perturbed to see native Japanese beginning to replace them, but for the most part, Saemon’s work was met with considerable praise by the church, who donated the necessary funds to begin construction.

(+Christian converts, +Seminaries, +Church Staff and Organization)

For the buddhists of Ezo, much celebration was had with the appointment of the Shogun’s chamberlain Matsudaira Naritami to Education Magistrate. Fearful of the rise of Christianity in the Republic, many more traditional minded citizens of Ezo applauded Naritami’s efforts to reinforce Buddhist thought by constructing an annex to the great Imperial Shrine complex that would train shinto and buddhist priests. This effort will require a credit from the government to see it come to fruition, and once it does, will greatly bolster recruitment to the shinto and buddhist laity, as well as reinforce the Emperor’s role in preserving the traditional faiths of Ezo.

(+Shinto and Buddhist organization and morale, +construction of training annex for their priests)

Former Education Magistrate Itakura Katsukiyo protested his removal from power, and campaigned vigorously for his reinstatement to government as “Magistrate of Faith”. Arguing that the education magistrate’s job is distinct from matters of faith (while simultaneously praising his efforts), Katsukiyo has advocated for the creation of a post entirely devoted to matters of faith. He has proposed the cabinet level office serve to reinforce traditional values within Ezo, organize any reform to its traditional faiths, and provide the funding and staff necessary for the great works of religion such as the proposed Imperial Shinto Shrine. His demands were met with approval by many adherents to the traditional Ezo faiths. Due to the sudden loss of leadership in previous months, many of the new Shinto-Buddhist belief are clamoring for the former creation of a Department of Faith to preside over the reformation that is gripping the country, hitherto unaddressed by the government proper.

(+Agitation for Faith Magistrate position, +popularity of Itakura Katsukiyo among shinto and buddhist adherents)

Not to be done with simply arming for war, the Matsumae attempt to leapfrog over the republic’s inaction towards the Shinto-Buddhist Reformation and assemble a Discovery Conference at their model school, inviting members of the Commission of Evangelical Translators as well as many of the fervent believers to witness a new religious curriculum focusing on the core writings of both Shintoism and Zen Buddhism. This curriculum is to be dispersed throughout the nation to similar schools so that all- samurai, at least- will learn of the proper rites.

As a sop to the minorities of Ezo, some of the scholars begin work on writing down the oral tradition of the Ainu, noting the many gods and spirits of that faith. Even some Christian observers are present as well, but mostly for curiosity’s sake. For now, the Shinto-Buddhist Reformation seems amenable to a broad base of Ezo, but that can certainly change, depending on those who drives it.

(+new Shinto-Buddhist conference, establishing religious curriculum, +reformation currently fairly pluralistic and open to outside influences)

Know-Nothings
Better their shores than ours! - Know Nothing Motto

Taking advantage of the American fleet and know-nothings patrolling the Far East, Horace Capron has established a network of American merchants and sailors to transport refugees, immigrants, and others seeking to migrate to Ezo. While Meiji Japan immediately decried these efforts, little has been done on Meiji’s part to stop them - fear of intervention by the United States or other European powers has stayed its hand. With the Meiji poised to invade Ezo, the effects of these operations have been limited in effect, with many migrants fearful of the possible damages the conflict might have on Ezo’s economy and people. With many fearing Ezo’s downfall in any case, it would be pointless to move from one area of Meiji control to another - especially if Meiji seeks to punish those it perceives as traitors. If peace were to be found however, these operations will likely help to alleviate Ezo’s labor issues by facilitating the migration of Meiji immigrants Northward.

(+Immigration network, -Relations between Meiji and America)

In addition to these more illicit efforts, Horace Capron has taken it upon himself to introduce his American friends to the Ezochian elite in an effort to bolster investment and boost Ezo-US relations. Efforts by Foreign Magistrate Kurosawa also saw Americans interested in a foreign exchange program, similar to the lawyer tour organized by the Supreme Court months ago. These efforts will likely boost the shogunate’s prestige, as well as provide valuable contacts for the teaching of English to schools such as the new model school created by the Matsumae, as well as other samurai facilities.

Many were present at the Shogun’s new years ball, which combined with the general militarization and mobilization of Ezo society, both shocked and impressed the visiting Americans. The sheer determination and will of the Ezo people, as well as their steadfast adherence to tradition and collective mobilization was relayed to the newspapers back home, where many sympathetic Americans are now rooting for the small Republic to succeed. Notable comparisons were made between the once noble and rebellious Southern Confederacy and Ezo, with many southerners now very interested in the outcome of the Meiji-Ezo conflict.

A great part of this is also due to the help of new foreign minister Akihiro Kurosawa, who has been requesting higher investments in the Ezo Republic, even offering the American Navy a coaling station on the coast. The Americans are interested...

(+US-Ezo relations, +romanticization of the conflict in the USA, +sympathy of southerners, +trade contacts for Horace Capron, ?potential American presence on Ezo in the future?)

International News

An Indecent Proposal
The government of the breakaway Republic of Ezo has exactly one week to accept our demands, of face annihilation without mercy. -Emperor Meiji

Accompanied by the newly appointed Foreign Minister Akihiro Kurosawa, Vice President Matsudaira Tarou met with delegations from Germany, France, and Meiji Japan in order to find a peaceful settlement to the conflict between Meiji and Ezo. Seeking to avoid escalation of the conflict that might involve direct European intervention, German Chancellor Bismarck placed considerable pressure on his Meiji allies to pare down their demands on the Ezo government, especially in light of signs that France may be on the verge of direct military intervention. While France would not go so far as to make such a promise, the French representative noted his “full faith in the diplomatic process,” and only commented that “should the diplomatic process fail, aggressors will be punished in line with international norms and honor.” While Meiji Japan (and much of the world) would note that it was in fact Ezo who initiated the conflict, the French may interpret this to apply to any Meiji invasion of the island of Ezo.

Matsudaira Tarou and Akihiro Kurosawa worked tirelessly with their European counterparts to attempt to dissuade Meiji from attacking, while Meiji seemed resolved to demand the complete surrender and subjugation of Ezo. Ezo’s representatives had little interest in Meiji’s initial compromises involving Ezo autonomy, as few trusted the Meiji’s promises to grant full pardons to Ezo’s officials or respect for its local rights.

After months of negotiating, during which time Meiji stood its hand and gathered its forces near Aomori (largely at Germany’s behest), a final treaty was negotiated. Meiji approved the treaty and pledged that Ezo’s acceptance would end any hostilities for at least 3 years, with France and Germany both pledging to punish with direct military force any aggressor who violates this ceasefire agreement. The following terms were presented to Ezo’s representatives:

1888 Treaty of Berlin posted:

1. Ezo immediately disavow any and all ownership over the island of Sado, and cease all guerilla operations on the island, as well as all covert operations across Meiji Japan.
2. Ezo pay reparations totaling 10 credits to the Meiji government for damages incurred in Sado, Kyushu, and Niigata, as well as accept responsibility for the conflict.
3. Ezo immediately disavow the Russia-Ezo Treaty of 1877, and reopen its claim to the illegal occupation of Sakhalin and the Kuriles in their entirety by the Russian Empire.
4. The cession of a small piece of territory along the coast near Hakodate to Germany, to give Germans special trading rights, as well as ensure German enforcement of the treaty. This territory is to be treated as sovereign German territory, and will be approximately 3 hectares in size.

The third point proved the most contentious, and Russian officials protested when word of this condition reached St. Petersburg. While Meiji Japan has argued that the Russia-Ezo Treaty was a travesty which saw the islands north of Ezo given away to Russia for a pittance, and thus an unequal treaty like those placed upon China, many instead suspect that Meiji Japan is seeking to place a wedge between Russia and Ezo. As word of the proposed peace reached London however, it was met with considerable approval, and any such disavowing of Russia (combined with the Shogun’s arrest) would see Ezo-British relations repaired.

The last point was a wish to create a chilling effect over the warm Franco-Ezochian relations, existing since the creation of the republic, and strengthened even further due to the new foreign minister’s efforts since his inauguration. Deciding that the prominent of any singular foreign power would be inimical to the interests of Japan, even if over a waylaid province, the Meiji Emperor’s plenipotentiaries suggested opening up a small part of the island to their own regime’s allies. This proposal came at a shock to even German Consul Erwin Balz, an unexpected prize for his empire.

The Foreign Minister remained in Berlin to convey Ezo’s ultimate decision, as the Vice President returned to Ezo to present the terms of the Berlin Peace Treaty to Congress and the President. While the President’s approval will be necessary, Congress too will need to approve the treaty.

To pressure Ezo to accept their demands, Meiji Japanese forces have begun amassing for an attack on Ezo’s shores, steaming directly towards Hakodate. They have given Ezo an ultimatum - accept their three points within one week, or prepare to endure a massive naval attack and ground invasion. Ezo’s fleet has deployed to engage should they approach, and Jules Brunet’s contingent of 5 french vessels only awaits France’s approval to leave port and join the fray.

Ezo stands at a crossroads - acceptance of the treaty will see Russian-Ezo relations plummet, as well as a considerable burden placed on the treasury of Ezo, and all of its attempts to undermine Meji up until this point being for naught. Domestic opinion favors war as a result of the government’s mobilization and indocrtination, and any peace will likely see approval for those in power (especially the nationalist party) suffer for their role in starting the conflict and ending it on unfavorable terms. Others note the benefits of the treaty, and argue that even if Ezo survives Meiji’s onslaught, it is unlikely to be able to mount offensive operations against the mainland, and may incur costs greater than 10 credits in defending the island from attack. Still others, especially those in the Sakura Party, dismiss these concerns, and have steeled themselves for the fight and pledged to defeat the treaty were it to be presented to Congress.

It is notable that throughout the negotiation, the representatives of the Meiji Emperor never officially referred to the Ezo Republic as its appellation, preferring to use terms such as “the northern regime”, “the old remnant”, and “Hokkaido.” No references to Emperor Enjuu or the bakufu-in-exile were made by the Meiji.

(+Treaty choice, +Impending fight)

Congressional report

Militia Regulation Act
Final Vote: PASSED 45 - 5

quote:

Bill 5-1- The Militia Regulation Act. All local militias in Ezo report directly to the normal Army Command structure and are under the control of the Army Minister. Militias made up of foreign soldiers will report directly to their commander, who then reports to the Army Minister, President, and Vice President directly.

This bill passed with minimal opposition, with what little dissent coming from those fearing an overreach of government authority over the militias of the Republic. The bill was met with approval by most however, especially the clauses subordinating the foreign soldiers to the Ezo state. Whether LMM or SWB will accept this authority remains in question.

(+Militia regulations)

Central Banking Act
Final Vote: PASSED 40 - 10

quote:

This act will authorize Ezo to begin construction on a central bank which will benefit the entire republic, please see attached budget.

Enjoying broad support from the Nationalist Party, only some members of the Sakura Party came out in opposition. Many were concerned about the potential ramifications of the central bank on the peasantry, or whether the bank would be unduly influenced by foreigners (especially due to the original consideration of Horace Capron for the job). Ultimately, with a local Ezo Japanese appointed as its head, congress fell in line, and a national bank was authorized and constructed. This has had the effect of providing a tool to the state for fiscal policy and economic stability.
(+Central Bank, +Economic stability)

In addition to these bills, some talk of abolishing samurai stipends caused rumors to spread throughout the samurai class in Ezo. Any and all discussion of stipend reform was met with shock by the samurai class, who decried such efforts as “Meiji-like attacks on our way of life”. Non-samurai (especially merchants) applauded these rumors, and hope it will culminate in the erosion of the samurai’s privileges. It appears unlikely that any such reform would be met with anything other than great opposition by the vast majority of samurai, even as the rest of the nation would applaud these reforms.
Similar talk of reworking the tax code was met with considerably less opposition, though most samurai wished to ensure their own position remained pre-eminent.

The budget was passed as per usual, and the new budget reflects the slight increase in military costs, as well as damage to the economy from the defection of Katsu Kaishu and the death of many of Ezo’s merchant elite. Most of these negative effects will likely be temporary.

Also, an accounting error on the part of a low ranking clerk in the financial ministry named Tatami Tarou saw the budget of the previous quarter leave 7 credits unallocated. These credits were discovered in the accounts of the clerk, who has been reprimanded and his assets seized, and Ezo now has an additional 7 credits to work with this turn.

Q1 1888 Budget posted:

Bakuhan Taisei tax structure:
0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
10% tax on samurai merchant activity (3)
20% tax on nōmin (15) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (11) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (5) (merchants)

Special Foreign Trade Agreements:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)

Total Income: 35/quarter

Debt
Debt: 55 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 50 owed to French creditors
--- 5 owed to British creditors

Government Expenditures (required in parentheses to maintain status quo):

Permanent Budget Items: (34 required for status quo)
Internal Security: 5 (5)
Samurai Stipends: 6 (6)
Army Maintenance: 6 (6)
Navy Maintenance: 4 (4)
Military Logistics: 0 (0)
Interest Payments: 6 (6)
National Bank Project: 1

Q2 1888 Budget posted:

Bakuhan Taisei tax structure (34):
0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
10% tax on samurai merchant activity (2)
20% tax on nōmin (15) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (13) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (4) (merchants)

Special Foreign Trade Agreements:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)

Total Income: 35/quarter
+7 Discovered Credits

Debt
Debt: 55 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 50 owed to French creditors
--- 5 owed to British creditors

Government Expenditures (required in parentheses to maintain status quo):

Permanent Budget Items: (28 required for status quo)
Internal Security: 5 (5)
Samurai Stipends: 6 (6)
Army Maintenance: 6 (7)
Navy Maintenance: 4 (4)
Military Logistics: 0 (0)
Interest Payments: 6 (6)

Random Events

Nagai Naoyuki, the Finance Minister, invested a great deal of his personal fortune into a significant ramp-up of his personal security. Fearing some attempt at assassination, likely inspired by the attempt on Toshizo’s life the previous year, Nagai cloistered himself in his personal estate, or went outside with heavy guard. Ultimately, any real threats did not manifest.

(+Paranoia)

Fueled by his own paranoia and bigotry, Matsudaira Sadaaki is reported to have gone on a drunken tirade against “Meiji spies” which he perceived to be everywhere, and was seen running through the streets of Ezo proclaiming his desire for their death.

(+Paranoia and bigotry)

In another attempt to foster the arts of Ezo, Nagai Naoyuki has penned a well received play set in the Wild West of the United States, in which a poor kabuki actor finds himself performing kabuki plays. Incorporating buddhist and christian elements, largely seen in the contrast of the kabuki actor’s own buddhist upbringing to that of his christian patrons, the play makes effective use of both Japanese Buddhist and Western Christian elements to portray a tragic figure torn between two cultures. The kabuki actor ultimately does not feel quite at place in one world or the other, and must repeatedly compromise elements of tradition to incorporate modern elements to please his patrons - ultimately serving a metaphor for Ezo’s own uncertain role as bridging the gap between East and West.

With this play’s success and Nagai Naoyuki’s apparent talent, Naoyuki has now begun to rise in the world of culture and the arts within Ezo, second only to Kasuga Saemon. The play has also become a hit among foreigners, who primarily enjoy the comedic aspects of a Japanese person situated in the Wild West.

(+popularity among intellectuals, +relations with France due to artsiness, +entertainment of foreigners, Americans, +existentialist angst in Ezo)

Sushi-tennou has begun what it calls “specials”, offering free or reduced price sushi or sake deals to Ezo soldiers and foreigners in this time of war with Meiji. While some soldiers were tempted by the idea of free food, others are still suspicious of sushi-tennou’s Meiji connections. Foreigners were still as eager to enjoy the deals, especially Germans.

(+Business for sushi-tennou)

Vandals broke into the office of the finance minister and scrawled a great red eagle upon his wall. The finance minister appeared perturbed, but no evidence of theft or investigation was found. The crimson avian is of a surprisingly amateurish design, asymmetrical and scrawled as almost a chicken feed. To compound the mystery, the only entrance to the sealed office were air vents that were too large for any man to enter. Undoubtedly, the master detectives of Ezo are on the case.

(+Red eagle on finance minister’s wall)

Nagai Naoyuki has been seen attempting to subtlety attend “meetings” on Tuesday nights in sushi-tennou, the sushi restaurant owned by the Meiji representative in Ezo. He always comes clad in a thick cloak, his identity masked, and his repeated questions have confused the patrons, who wonder why he calls the Tuesday Two for One Special a “meeting”. Either way, Nagai Naoyuki is taking advantage of the various deals offered by the sushery, while the patrons remain confused about why this man keeps showing up, eating a bit of sushi, and then leaving without ever attending any meetings or meeting with anyone.

(+Nagai Naoyuki likes sushi)

Shortly after his beating at the hands of Matsudaira Sadaaki, Sadaaki-led thugs destroyed and burned down of part of Sushi-tennou. It remains under renovation.

(+Damage to sushi-tennou)

The teenage super sleuths continue their investigations into the various shenanigans going on in Ezo. Their efforts culminated in a massive fruit-cart debacle in which various fruits and merchant goods were dumped in the streets of Hakodate, creating a comedic cascade of chaos.

(+Super sleuth activity)

Hijikata Toshizo, when not engaging in the great Iron Chef competition, ordered his shinsengumi to investigate his attempted murder. Thus far they have not found any leads, but someone is clearly covering their tracks, as the former chef responsible for his attempted murder washed up on shore near the coast of Hakodate. How he escaped prison, and who killed him, remains a mystery.

(+Mystery of Toshizo’s poisoning)

In an attempt to build Ezo’s cultural heritage, Kasuga Saemon has continued his scholarly work at the military academy in Hakodate. This has resulted in a re-evaluation of the historical contribution of the Ainu and Emishi people, who have been elevated from obscure of disparaged status to one of impartiality. The contributions of the Ainu and Emishi to Japanese and Ezo culture have been recognized, with the recent defeat of Meiji forces by the Ainu of Ezo a particularly evident example. This has had the effect of bolstering Ezo’s military traditions and instilling the army with some recognition of the Ainu’s contributions and loyalty. These changes were incorporated into a newly constructed museum annex to the military college, which while still small, has plans for further expansion. This museum also needs a name.

(+Military prestige, +Military tradition, +Ainu support in army)

In addition to his efforts to assist in treaty negotiations in Berlin, the Foreign Magistrate has begun exploring potential areas of expansion by Ezo on the Korean peninsula. His efforts were largely rebuffed by the Korean regime, who maintained their policy of isolationism. Russia took heed of Ezo’s interest, and would likely frown upon any further expansion by the Japanese in East Asia...

(+Korean obstinance)

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Map April 1st, 1878

• Locked thread