Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
Nagai Naoyuki
stalin at c0balt dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Samurai

During times like these it can seem like the easy solution to simply ask for aid from France, however France has already helped us a great deal. Continued reliance on foreign economic aid is not viable for the long term. I believe at this time we should focus on updating our budget and taxes, and attempting to pay off our current debts to France.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

We need to take a strong stance against the importation of opium into Ezo. We have seen what opium has done to the lesser men in China and the situation it put China in. we must not allow that same fate to befall Japan.

There must be strong consequences for its importation and possession, previously this was already illegal under the Tokugawa Shogunate; there is no reason to stop now.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Bill submitted to congress by Nagai Naoyuki: Opium Ban

This bill will ban the sale, possession, import, and use of opium and restore opium prohibition laws to their Pre-Meiji standard.

End of Bill

Bill submitted to congress by Nagai Naoyuki: Budget

Bakuhan Taisei tax structure:
0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
20% tax on nōmin (10) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (9) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (9) (merchants)

Total Income: 28/quarter

Debt
Debt: 60 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 50 owed to French creditors
--- 10 owed to British creditors

Government Expenditures:

Internal Security: 5
Samurai Stipends: 6
Army Maintenance: 2 + 2 = 4
Navy Maintenance: 3 + 1 = 4
Debt Repayments: 6 + 3 = 9
Free Credits: 6 - 6 = 0

End of Bill

At the moment I see no reason to change the tax rates, My focus now is on repaying our debt and making sure our military is well funded. This budget is always open to adjustment if there are any complaints.

(according to JosefStalinator we need to actually propose projects and spend the extra credits the army/navy gets in the budget otherwise it just goes to waste mechanically (it just gives everyone raises) army/navy magistrate should talk to me about possible projects if we wanna justify this increase in budget)

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 7, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

No offense Capuron-san but we are all weary of western imperialism after the events that unfolded in China, at this time to suggest that we should open our lands up to immigrant farmers would be a hasty choice. I'm open to a survey of the land but this land should be first and foremost for the people of Japan not immigrants.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 7, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I humbly give my full support to the changes made to my original budget by Enomoto-sama.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Enomoto-sama I don't think I can ever support a bill that takes the rights away from our noble Samurai.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

With the current effort to reinforce ourselves in Ezo and our mission to capture Sado our country is under great pressure. At this time my advisers and I agree that the best course of action will be to review and revise the tax code to better suit these pressing times. We will need this extra money in the coming months while our frigates are still under construction to pay off our debts to foreign creditors and for the expansion of our nations internal defenses.

I will continue to look into this issue and I welcome any suggestions or comments.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

mynamewas posted:

Thomas Crusoe

(OOC: This was the pre-edit so I don't want to be called a cheater)
Seeing as this is and probably will forever be the only life, I ask that the Congress consider an amendment to the Opium Ban or a consideration on this concubine importation proposal that would allow the sale of opium to these women whose lives will be slightly worse off than livestock. Thank you. *Kowtows* Thank you.

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

I'm afraid it would be quite impossible to allow any exception for the Opium Ban, if any opium were to enter Japan the point of the bill would be lost.

I will also say that I am not in favor of the presidents plan to replace most of our fair honest Japanese citizens with Chinese sex slaves. I don't see the point of this bill other than an attempt to dilute the racial integrity of our people and to dilute the entire Japanese population of Ezo into a minority. If your intention with this plan is to give Ezo over to Chinese barbarians than this plan would be fool proof Enomoto-sama, but I don't think I could ever support the bastardization of our Country.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I agree that we should open talks with Satsuma and find out how we can best aid them. In the end option 3 is probably our best bet.

I would also like to draw to attention the inequality currently breeding in our society, I have heard reports of samurai who are exploiting their status to perform activities outside of their duties as samurai such as farming and trading. We must address this inequality as it will cause instability in the peasant and merchant classes.

Those lower classes cannot possibly compete with the tax free samurai who receive government paychecks each quarter and if this activity continues we will be facing civil unrest not unlike that faced by the Tokugawa Shogunate late in its life.

Just as the rights of the samurai must be carefully protected so should the right of the merchant to trade, and the right of the peasant to own and care for his land. These rights must be protected from competition in more privileged classes of society.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 14, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
OOC Sorry I didn't get a chance to propose a budget this week, I assumed I would have some time this weekend to do some stuff but I ended up being quite busy. Thank's for covering FSAD I'll be back on my game again this week.

IC I have no objections with the budget that was proposed in my absence and fully endorse the changes made. If anyone has any concerns please contact me.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

No offense Enomoto-sama but blaming everyone else for your problems and attempting to divide Ezo along party lines is quite dishonorable. I'm not sure who you are addressing in this announcement as nobody has said anything to prompt it so it seems like you are just ranting and complaining for no reason.

In order to preserve your image as leader of this great nation I suggest that you not make unnecessary inflammatory remarks in public about political parties other than your own. In a time when our population is so few the last thing we need is partisan bickering between political parties.

I'll add that I agree I would like to see more activity from the other parties but to completely dismiss the contribution of every other party is quite offensive, both to those of us who have proposed legislation and have worked personally with you outside of your political party, and don't forget those who fought and served faithfully in Sado.

Next time please choose your words more carefully.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 17, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

After much thought I have decided I am STRONG AGAINST bill 2-3. At this time there is no open hostility between Russia and Japan that requires intervention and the ceding of land rights, Kuril is home to many many Japanese citizens and to tell them that their home is no longer Japan for the price of 2 credits would be a waste when we have barely started to exhaust our economic options domestically.

In my opinion Kuril is a problem that doesn't need to be solved, while Russian/Japanese relations on the island itself may be dicey there is no reason Japanese and Russians cannot continue to coexist at this time in Kuril peacefully and any suggestion to cede is hasty at best, misleading and dishonest at worst.

For the rest.

YES on SAMURAI REGISTRATION ACT.

NO on 2-1.1 SAMURAI REGULATION CODE OF 1877. This will need to be refined and debated on before it is fit as legislation.

NO on SEX SLAVE ACT.

YES on WAR TIME CONTRIBUTIONS ACT.

YES on BILL 2-4 AND 2-5.

STRONG NO on BILL 2-6. No offense to the Army Magistrate but this falls outside the domain of congress and its representatives and I cannot support it.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 20, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I would like to propose my budget for this period.

Bill 3-9: Budget
10% tax on samurai merchant activity (2)
20% tax on nōmin (14) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (11) (non-land based workers)
35% tax on chōnin (8) (merchants)

Total Income: 35/quarter
+2 From Russia (one turn only)

Debt
Debt: 61 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 1 owed to French creditors (interest free)

Government Expenditures (required in parentheses to maintain status quo):

Internal Security: 5 (5)
Samurai Stipends: 6 (6)
Army Maintenance: 5 (5)
Navy Maintenance: 3 (3)
Military Logistics: 2 (2)
Interest Payments: 6 (6)
Debt Payment (British Creditors): 10
Free Credits: 0

35% tax on chōnin (8) (merchants)

Debt

Debt Payment (British Creditors): 8
Special Project Funds for New Star Fort: 2

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 25, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Group of mysterious youths overheard outside the scene of the wedding massacre posted:

"Like zoinks, this is some spooky looking building... I wonder if they got any giant sub sandwiches in here..."
"Stay focused Shag-san we have to get to the bottom of this mystery..."

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would also like to suggest that some or possibly all of the funds set for the construction of a Police Academy be invested into the defense of Ezo, while modernizing the police will be an important question at this time I don't know that it is pressing. the Meiji are nipping at us looking for weakness and if we lag behind in developing our defenses we will not be able to stand against them.

At this time we do not have any concrete plans to develop our defenses on the table other than the shoguns proposed fort, people have expressed that it may take far too long to build a fort for it to be effective. However I am still inclined to support it if there are no other proposals on the table.

In a few hours I will draft my final budget proposal if anyone has any suggestions please contact me.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

This is the final version of the budget that I will propose to congress, I have made a slight adjustment as per the agreement between Brunet-san and I. I don't believe there are any objections to the changes made so everyone should support this budget.

quote:

EDITED
Republican/Homeland Party Joint Bill FINAL (final)

40% tax on chōnin (9) (merchants)

Foreign Trade:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)

Resource/Production Income:
Gold (0)
Lumber (0)
Goods (0)
Other (0)

Total Income: 37/quarter

Debt

Permanent Budget Items:

Special Project Funds:
Shinsengumi Police Academy/Arms Modernization (Bill 3-5): 3
Fertilizer and Canning Factory (Bill 3-3): 1
Jules Brunet's Boat: 0 (This money is being reallocated to the Navy Brave Soldiers, Prosperous Farmers as discussed earlier)
Sado Island Gold Mine Modernization: 1
Ainu Logging and Trade Company (Bill 3-10): 1
Naval Investment: 5 credits for torpedo boats and torpedoes from France
Brave Soldiers, Prosperous Farmers: 1

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 27, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

e) counterintelligence within their respective forces
5. NINJA is officially disbanded and considered illegal. All members of this organization have a month to reveal themselves to any legitimate law-enforcement organization. The ones that don't report themselves are considered members of an insurgency.
6. A special commission under purview of the Security minister will be formed to interrogate former members of NINJA and their activity within the organization.
7. Former members of NINJA who report themselves and cooperate with the commission will be granted amnesty, except of the leadership of the organization who participated in activities that may constitute treason.

No offense Matsumae-dono but I doubt NINJA will reveal themselves simply to be tortured and interrogated. Disbanding NINJA and making further unauthorized espionage illegal will probably suffice, if we manage to capture any active members of NINJA we can simply question them at that stage.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Viscardus posted:

Thomas Blakiston

I believe any action to remove the minister would be a constitutional crisis and would require intervention on behalf of the supreme court to settle, Matsudaira-dono was free to exercise his right to protest your wedding.

Your wedding is also insignificant, how dare you sow strife in this country at a time when we are faced with total destruction.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to propose that we begin work right away on a central bank for Ezo therefor I propose

Central Banking Act posted:

This act will authorize Ezo to begin construction on a central bank which will benefit the entire republic, please see attached budget.

quote:

Q2 budget

10% tax on samurai merchant activity (3)
20% tax on nōmin (15) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
40% tax on chōnin (5) (merchants)

Special Foreign Trade Agreements:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)

Debt
Debt: 55 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 5 owed to British creditors

Permanent Budget Items: (34 required for status quo)
Army Maintenance: 6 (6)
Navy Maintenance: 4 (4)
Military Logistics: 0 (0)
National Bank Project: 1

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to point out that our tax code is fundamentally broken, without our formal feudal system we cannot expect to be able to properly collect taxes from any class in the future as the line between samurai and commoner blurs.

Perhaps an option at this point would be the suspend stipends entirely, remove any economic advantage the samurai wield and in turn pay samurai salary for working traditional samurai class jobs, such as police, soldiers, and politicians.

In turn unemployed samurai will no longer be paid to simply do nothing, I would also like to see the tax loophole further closed for merchant activity. Our system of tax collection can be overhauled, rather than collecting tax based on our former feudal system we should collect tax based on activity, such as the western style of tax collection.

For instance rather than a tax that applies only to merchants perhaps we should simply tax mercantile activity such as buying and trading. If we tax individual goods we would be able to more carefully select what should and should not be taxed rather than a blunt broad based approach as we have now which frankly makes no sense without our former feudal system.

The tax on samurai trading was a start but it raises many questions on the validity of such a system without a strict feudal structure in place.

In a world where someone can simply change their social class at will it is too confusing and complicated to expect to collect taxes based on a rigid societal structure that doesn't even exist anymore.

I'm sure these changes would be quite controversial, I only wish to see our government enriched by our tax system and not exploited as I feel it is now.

I wont formally propose anything at this time so I can hear what everyone thinks about these potentially dividing changes.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I also want to say that I do not support the appointment of non-citizens to head our central bank. While input is desired from foreign advisers, heading the national bank will be a full time job that will require full loyalty to Ezo.

This is simply something we cannot ask of our friends who must also represent the interests of their own home countries.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to point out that at this time it is very likely that peasants and other classes effectively are richer than the majority of samurai.

Fixed stipends are a bad thing therefor.

The Abolish Stipends Bill posted:

This bill will put in motion the process in which we will abandon the outdated stipend system in favor of salary based on quality/quantity of work.

Also as proposed I wish to see us abandon our current broken model of tax collection.

Tax Reform Bill posted:

This bill will put in motion the process for us to abandon our current tax code in favor of a flexible tax code which would be based on activity rather than class.

These bills will not go into effect immediately if passed but would simply begin the process of modernization.

With these we will have far more money to both pay samurai a living wage and also to further modernize our navy and army.

If these bills fail I will not continue to push this agenda any further until I believe a good solution is in place for concerns, but for now my goal is fixing our economy, getting us out of debt, and raising the morale of our armed forces; and this is the best way for us to do this.

Every party should be for these reforms.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 18, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to add that the only other suggestion I can give to fix the current tax structure and to fix the economy of Ezo, would be to return our government to a strict feudal system, at this time all the foundations of feudalism are gone and there is no feudalism. Therefor our current feudal model of taxing is no longer valid or useful.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
(Since we can only post 1 bill a turn the last 2 are just on the table for reading/thoughts/questions. There will be no vote for them at this time.)

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Possibly Former Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

What is project Red Eagle, who is in charge? A faction within the government is looking to extort credits out of our governments coffers with threats of assassination and with very little explanation on who is running this project, what the project is, and on who's authority it is being ordered.

I refuse to allocate funds for secret pet projects of congressmen, and I know that congress should not approve of any secret measures that would drain our meager budget in this time of war.

In light of these events I may have to prepare for my resignation as I am rapidly losing faith in the ability of many of my fellow congressmen and many of my fellow ministers to successfully defend and run this country.

If I die for refusing to fund this project let it be known I died an honorable death.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

For now I will continue my services as Finance Magistrate as these factions within the government appear to be acting alone.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 20, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I do find my fellow ministers actions to be quite odd recently and ask him to defend his actions.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not sure if the current situation with the Shogun is constitutionally sound, he has a right to a fair public trial as well as a right to seek counsel.

I believe we have a constitutional right to know where the Shogun is as well as the right to contact him.

Perhaps the supreme court should rule on this? Might not be necessary, but I would like to see what they think.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

I believe Matsudaira Naritami should be allowed to see the young Shogun, as he is the boys guardian.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Daimyo, Samurai, Artist

I accepted this as an eventuality and, I am at peace with this.

The differences between I and the President are not solvable at this time and I don't think my idea's serve much use for his government.

I believe in time he will find my ideas to not be so strange and someday I believe we will have a whole Japan that can consider itself strong in the face of increasing foreign interest.

A Japan that is both economically and socially stable, and strong.

I would like to aid in the Shoguns defense, I intend to hire the finest defense lawyers in Ezo to defend their Shogun. However we have no contact with the Shogun or anyway to talk to him privately, how will we properly defend our client without a chance to talk to him and time to find witnesses in his defense?

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 3, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Mutō Kiichi and Crew, "Ace" attorneys hired by the Shogun

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7253496

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 4, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Mutō Kiichi, attorney to the shoguns.

I think you will find sir I am quite an experienced defense lawyer, and NOT in law school.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 4, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Ayasato Mayoi, co-counsel for the Shogun

You should probably mention that keeping us from seeing the Shogun before the trial violates Ezo's 6th amendment, Kiichi.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 4, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Colonel Wood posted:

Matsudaira Tarou - Vice President

As I mentioned before, the Shogun's regent is illegally in control of a private militia which represents a clear danger to public safety. Were he to publicly relinquish control of this militia to the Army we could then talk about seeing him.

Mutō Kiichi, attorney to the shoguns.

Aside from the fact that it's irrelevant, i'm pretty sure the regent's militia is perfectly legal, nobody else seems to be claiming it is illegal. Which part of that law is he violating?

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
so we can have a private army, we just can't call it a militia.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Mutō Kiichi, attorney to the shoguns.'

I call for a writ of habeas corpus challenging the constitutionality of The Shoguns detainment.

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec9.html

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 5, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
The president is a minister and president; that's dumb. Put that at the top of your docket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
Nagai Naoyuki retires.

• Locked thread