Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I claim Tsukinoeaino.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

The Diaries of John Batchelor posted:

A well known chief arrived last night. He has been making something of a lecture circuit. I am recording his speech here in Japanese as the Ainu have no written language and my calligraphy could use improvement.

I have gathered you here to talk with you of the future. There are many among you who believe that the future and the past are the same. You believe that we can somehow banish the Japanese and return to living life as we always have. Perhaps we could, but we will never be able to shut out the whole world. Our island is too beautiful and too bountiful to be left alone. If not ruled by the Republic of Ezo, we would be targeted by the Emperor or the Czar.

Of these three, I believe we will find the Republic the most benevolent. The young Republic needs friends and cannot easily afford new enemies. It is my hope that the Republic will give us a measure of representation and aid in return for our corrasion and willingness to put past wrongs behind us. A survey of lands and minerals is going to be going through our country. No one knows the wildest areas of this island better than the Ainu. I would encourage all of you to help with the survey as much as possible as a show of good faith.

The second part of my plan is for the Ainu to own and operate modern businesses. I value our ways and traditions, but the only way to preserve even a portion of them is to adapt. Our people have skills in lumber, fishing, construction, and hunting. I propose that we set up tribe owned businesses to take advantage of these skills, to benefit tribes, and provide useful employment to our people.

To this end I am petitioning the president to grant us samurai titles for some chiefs and elders and grants to start new business.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

The Ainu people are fiercely opposed to the importation of Chinese concubine labor. The proposal stirs up old memories that make myself and many of my people nervous.

Letter to Matsumae Takahiro posted:

I would like to thank you for your support of the Ainu people. I believe very strongly that our two peoples can build a great nation through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation.

Letter to Horace Capron posted:

Dear Sir,

I am interested in the pursuit of new opportunities for my people. I would like to set up Ainu run, communally owned businesses. The Ainu community has fishing, lumber, hunting, and construction experience to draw upon, so I think lumber, fishing, and construction businesses should be our focus. If you can suggest any Western innovations in these areas, we would be very grateful. P.s. a local missionary has told me that in the West, fish is preserved in glass jars and metal tubes and I am curious if we could do something similar

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

Letter to Matsumae Takahiro posted:

Dear Sir,
In light of recent events, we would like your help in realigning trading rights with the Ainu. We recognize that you have historical held exclusive trading rights with the Ainu people. However, the recent division of the island and my promotion to daimyo makes that situation impractical. I would like the Ainu to have the same rights and restrictions as any other citizen.

Tokugawa Kamenosuke

Brown allotted to Tsukinoeaino of the Ainu
[/quote]

I humbly accept this great honor. I am in correspondence with Matsumae Takahiro. In response to the new division of the island, I have requested that the Ainu be allowed the same trading rights as any other citizen. This would relieve us of both a great practical burden and a source of ill will.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

Bill 2-3 fills me with a great sadness. I am dissapointed, but not surprised that the things the Ainu own and value are the first to be bargained away without the slightest consolation.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino Ainu Chieftain, Daimyo

I hate to bother the legislature at this time of loss and uncertainty, but my needs are pressing. The Matsumae retain a claim to exclusive trading rights with the Ainu from pre-Republic times. I do not believe this is right or practical.

I would like someone to take up this bill.

quote:

Bill 3-6: Pratical Ainu Commerce Bill
The Ainu will be permitted to trade under the normal laws and regulations of the Republic of Ezo without additional restrictions.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoaeino

We would like trade restrictions lifted on the Ainu and other concessions. Otherwise it will be very difficult to convince my people that the unfulfilled promises of Ezo are any more believable than the hollow promises of the Meiji.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

I believe that the trade restrictions placed on the Ainu are illegal. I am instructing my people to go out of their way to openly break these illegal trade restrictions. We fight every case as long as possible. We will refuse to pay judgments against us. In short, we will use every tool short of violence to oppose these restrictive policies.

You are welcome to clog the courts and stuff the jails if you believe that the oppression of the Ainu is more important than the welfare of Ezo.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Gantolandon posted:

Matsumae Takahiro

I'm all for remedying this situation, but shouldn't we wait with radical changes until the problem with Meiji invasion is dealt with?

Tsukinoeaino.
The smart woodcutter collects his money in Winter. The foolish woodcutter collects his money in Spring.

I ask Ezo for less than inaction. The men who now guard your economic interests to my great detriment would be better used guarding the republic from Meiji.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino

As a representative of the Ainu people, I am filing suit against the Matsumae Clan

The trade restrictions placed upon the Ainu have no basis in the laws of Ezo. We are suing for immediate suspension of all Matsumae attempts to enforce a trade monopoly with the Ainu and compensation for losses incurred due to illegally enforced trade restrictions.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino, Chief, Daimyo.

The arrest of the Shogun poses an interesting legal question. Could the Shogun legally strip Enomoto of his position as samurai? That is to say, is being a samurai something that comes from the Shogun or from somewhere else.

If it comes from the Shogun, then the Shogun only stands trial by his own choosing. He could easily strip his opponents of their titles until only his supporters remain in government. Enomoto remained silent while our dear Shogun stripped the rebellious Otori Keisuke, after all.

On the other hand, if the Shogun does not have the power to bestow and remove titles, who does? The legislature? The president? Making samurai merely legal title seems to be at odds with tradition, history, and precedent.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Great Tanuki spirit has come to me in a vision. In it, Tanuki and myself were seated around a large empty table. I felt a deep and abiding hunger. After a long time, a man walked in. He was wild eyed and dirty, but Tanuki invited him to sit with us. When he sat down a strange thing happened. Food a drink began to appear on the table. Not any ordinary food, but the rarest and most speaking delicacies. I looked up and suddenly the man had become clean and well dressed. I only then recognized him as Thomas Crusoe.

It is my interpretation that Thomas Crusoe is somehow important to the prosperity of the Ainu. So, I have decided that Thomas Crusoe is under Ainu protection as long as he is on our land.. We demand the Shinsengumi leave the area around his tree fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I have no particular financial or political interest in the outcome of the case. If both sides find it agreeable, I could carry messages to and from the Shogun.

• Locked thread