Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Enomoto Takeaki (President)!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

There are so many matters to determine here, yet we must be cautious. Our independence is precarious at best. Though at the moment the French, British and Americans can be counted among our friends, this friendship is based on commercial relations moreso than cultural affinity or shared history. While I would not impugn Brunet-san's loyalties, the governments of far-off nations are fickle, and will see to their own benefit. If they find that commercial privileges with Japan are more profitable, we might soon see our support evaporate. This is the most real threat to our continued existence.

Yet we must also ask ourselves, by what right have we seized this place and established this government? Is it purely for the benefit of the samurai? To grow fat from government support, slow to draw our swords and quick to palm a piece of gold? No, we must believe that our way of life is better not only for us, but for the nation as a whole. While we are profiting, our factories are expanding, our fields ripe with produce, some of us are not staring the truth that lies before us. We can not continue to exist on the charity of foreign nations, or we will never be able to count ourselves as a free power. The French are our truest friends, the British also wish our friendship, and we must never spurn them or take that for granted, but to rely on them completely is unacceptable.

We must reconquer the home islands. We must not allow Japan to take deliverance of the four warships being built by the state of Germany. Our position as a naval power is the only thing maintaining our freedom. But how can a nation of 250,000 conquer a nation of more than 30 million? That is the task that has weighed heavily on my mind. We have supporters within Japan, yet the power of the government there is strong, and their peasant army has shown its mettle, I am certain I need not remind any here.

I do not wish to overwhelm Congress with bills at this moment. I would prefer fewer bills that are detailed and enjoy popular support rather than small bills that will do little to advance the national interest. Any bill I find that does not serve some clear purpose with demonstrable benefits to the nation, I personally will ignore, though I can not speak for the rest of my allies in Congress.

As such, I hereby declare that I will request from you, the members of congress, detailed plans for the following. I leave it up to the esteemed members of the samurai class to determine which of these plans best-serves our long-term interests in terms of an eventual, not immediate, reconquest of the home islands.

1. The Conquest of Outlying Regions

A. Karafuto Island (Sakhalin) - Rich in natural resources, few population, among them many Ainu who share a common language and culture with those here. Claimed by the Russian Empire.
B. Sado Island - Small, with a low population, and close to our domains. Sado Island contains a productive gold mine which could help us to deal with our debt issue. As our ships will be purchased from foreign nations, having access to gold will allow us a strong navy, which allows further expansion. The people there are our kin.
C. Saishu Island (Jeju/Cheju) - Small in size, but prosperous in terms of agriculture. Securing Saishu Island might allow us to cut off trade between Japan and the Chinese. Occupied by Koreans, they speak a foreign tongue and have strange manners.
D. Ryukyu Islands - Somewhat prosperous, fishing villages, yet close enough to China to be a fine base for trade, as well as allowing us to surround Japan further. They are nearer to us than the Koreans but still a strange people, half-Chinese.
E. Takasago Island (Taiwan) - A wild island, with a Chinese western plain and a barbarian eastern mountain region. It would require much of our strength to hold, but is potentially the richest prize of all.

Discuss your plans as to which of these regions our navy and army should begin to conquer. Which best serves our purposes, which is our first target, for the samurai of Ezo will not sit idle while the usurpers grow in strength. Choose one target and explain why THAT is the best place to expend our strength. Remember that our strength is small. Yet by expanding our resources and population base, we can eventually seek to control the seas and wrest Shikoku and Kyushu from the criminals who seek to destroy our past. Then we shall see the odds more in our favor.

2. The Removal of Constitutional Term Limit

Who among you has a superior plan for the maintenance of our position and the reconquest of Japan? Who among you has stood more firmly than I? Who among you is ready to declare yourself for the Presidency? I do not wish to be an emperor, and when the time comes I will lay down my sword, but we have only begun. If one among you believes in me and will present this bill for the removal of my term limit, I will not seek to influence the vote, and will abide by it according to the law, however I do not wish to be chained by the laws of foreign documents adopted in moments of crisis, and eight years have passed far too quickly. I will not present this bill myself, and if none believe in me enough to see this bill brought to Congress, I shall not introduce it myself.

3. The Affirmation of a Treaty of Friendship Between the Republic of Ezo and Foreign Powers

The French Empire, the British Empire, the United States of America. We must consider the implications of tying our hands with treaties. What can they offer to us? What do they want from us?

Give me your opinions, devise your plans, we shall discuss them and vote.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
President Enomoto Takeaki

More than 1,200 years ago, the Taika Emperor undertook the Taika Reform and brought much learning to Japan, the Chinese system of writing, the ideas of Confucius, and the way or organizing society according to the concepts of that philosophy, even the concept of Emperor itself was changed. From this lesson we can learn that in trying times, it is necessary to adjust. Yet the Meiji usurper would abandon all that is Japanese, this can not be allowed! We must develop our strength according to the ways which seem the best, but remain true to the traditions of our ancestors. To find a better way to do things does not mean we give up our culture or our traditions. In the past, we learned from China, but today they have nothing to teach us. Today, we shall learn from the French, the British, the Americans.

Thus, as a Presidential matter of the greatest importance, we will proceed with this survey as proposed by our American economic advisor. We will ensure that all necessary personnel and equipment are given to Capron-san. In addition, I call upon all noble Lords of the major clans to devote their effort to seeing that this survey takes place. Once we have an accurate idea of the land on Ezo, the population, the use to which the land is put, any and all metal deposits and other natural resources, as well as the composition of the Ainu villages and any other potentially destabilizing factors, we will be able to undertake the true settling of this land. That means, to put it explicitly, the land will be granted by the government to those who can clear, settle and cultivate it. Forces from the army will accompany the survey team put together by Capron-san. In addition, I would like at least one member of the samurai class to accompany him and personally see to his protection and success in this mission, but the more who travel with him and assist him in this matter, the better. When the survey is complete, then we shall discuss the parceling of this land out to those who can use it, whether Japanese farmers from the usurper's domain, or the samurai themselves who can gather the men and women to turn this land bountiful.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

After consultation and having listened to the opinions of many of our finest minds, I have come to the decision. I charge Arai Ikunosuke, Naval Minister, with preparing and leading the invasion of Sado Island, in order to both secure its gold mines as well as to deny this source of gold and silver to the Meiji. This attack will be glorious, and when we succeed, we shall have an armed fortress from which we can strike out at our enemies, easily defensible considering our command of the seas.

When examining Sado Island, one notices that there are two mountain ranges, like the wings of a butterfly. The gold mine is located near the port of Aikawa, in the western mountains. In the central valley, productive and fertile farms support a local population. In the south, the port of Ogi is another region that would need to be controlled to ensure our domination. I task the Naval Minister, in concert with Army Minister Otori Keisuke, with seizing these three key regions and producing a plan for the island's continued defense. I also call upon Captain Thomas Blakiston to show us his vaunted skills by preparing a plan to modernize and develop the mining on this island. While production has indeed slackened in recent years, we have heard much of the skill of these foreigners. Allow us to reap the benefits of this mine and you shall be rewarded greatly. This is your task gentlemen, I charge you with carrying it out!

I also hereby recognize the Presidential Term Limits Act as presented by the honorable Matsudaira Sadaaki and thank him for his trust in my abilities. I have instructed the members of our own Republican Faction to vote with their consciences on the matter. Contingent upon the passage of the bill, I hereby offer myself for the position of President. At the current moment I am the sole candidate. I encourage another candidate to stand forth, and enter into a debate with me regarding the future of the Ezo Republic. Hai!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

An amendment of the bill submitted to congress by Nagai Naoyuki: Budget (Changes noted with underlines)

Bakuhan Taisei tax structure:
0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
20% tax on nōmin (10) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (9) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (9) (merchants)

Total Income: 28/quarter

Debt
Debt: 60 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 50 owed to French creditors
--- 10 owed to British creditors

Government Expenditures:

Internal Security: 5
Samurai Stipends: 6
Army Maintenance: 2 + 1 = 3
Navy Maintenance: 3 + 2 = 5
Debt Repayments: 6 + 1 = 7
Census and Survey of Ezo: 1 (This will only last so long as the survey lasts)
Farm Improvement Program: 1

Free Credits: 6 - 6 = 0

End of Bill

stalin-chan posted:

(according to JosefStalinator we need to actually propose projects and spend the extra credits the army/navy gets in the budget otherwise it just goes to waste mechanically (it just gives everyone raises) army/navy magistrate should talk to me about possible projects if we wanna justify this increase in budget)

The Farm Improvement Program is designed to import modern, high quality farm tools, seeds and machines from America. These things will be sold by the government at cost to those who can immediately afford it and at a low interest rate to those who would lease them or buy seeds in advance of next season's harvest. It is hoped that eventually, the interest from this program would make it self-sustaining as the farmers of the island all adopt modern agricultural tools and supplies.

The Army's budget increase I will leave it to the Minister of the Army to requisition, but higher salaries is not an acceptable use of his increased budget.

The Navy's budget increase should go to an expansion of our fleet and the construction of defenses on Sado Island, I will leave it to the Naval Minister to come up with a specific plan for which sorts of ships or defenses would best serve us.

I'm aware that with this budget, our debt repayment will not move as quickly as before, however I believe that expanding our capability to make money through farming and the rightful seizure of Sado Island will allow us to repay our debt all the faster in the end.

I also wish to thank the most honorable Nagai Naoyuki for his work on the budget, and admonish the Congress for a lack of any debate or comment on the budget or the proposal of any specific projects. If we wish to have a situation of equality within Congress between the samurai, then you all must take a more active part and make more proposals of your own. At the worst it will be rejected, but I would not like to see any here lose face in such a way, negotiation is the key.

The Republican Party, or those who follow me, will SUPPORT Minister Nagai's Opium Ban Bill.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Gantolandon posted:

Matsumae Takahiro

Yes, many Christian followers are certainly loyal to this government... but where do the members' of the government loyalty lies? It is not a secret that some of them openly hate our culture and would rather see us a Western colony than an independent country. Particularly our Foreign Minister, who since beginning of his tenure does nothing but agitates against anything that could bring wealth to Ezochi without indebting us to the Western creditors. You call me a Meiji sympathizer, but I never spoke a word about the Republic's military plans, unlike the Merchant in your government. Does it not bother you, when while you make plans to land on Sado, the very person responsible for talks with foreign governments openly speaks against your plan?

You should tread carefully if you would impugn the loyalty of the men who serve me and this Republic. You might consider thinking carefully upon this matter. I asked the Foreign Minister, and all Samurai who are members of this congress, for their opinions as to my plans, that the best plan might be chosen. Do you think that this government would work better if its Congressmen and true samurai withheld their viewpoints and told me what they thought I wanted to hear? You would be wise, Matsumae-sama, to speak calmly and apologize to the men whose loyalty you impugned so casually, or there will be consequences according to the ancient traditions we all hold so dearly, Christian or otherwise.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Since we currently have no official government legal representative, until I can find and appoint a cabinet-level Attorney General I will present my own view of the law, point by point:

Gantolandon posted:

1. Most of the holdings of the clan, including the magnificent Fukuyama Castle, have been taken away from the clan.
2. The members of the clan have been stripped of their samurai status, which denied them their privileges and voting rights.

We claim this act to be not only unjust, but also fundamentally incompatible with the constitution this government claims to cherish so much, on the following basis:

1. It has been passed before the constitution, the basis of the law of the Republic, was even drafted.
You are asking for a law to be declared unconstitutional before the constitution was passed. There were many actions which took place before our constitution, it is not the place of the court to make the past fit the constitution, but the existing laws.
2. The act interferes with several rights later guaranteed by the constitution.
See above
3. By inflicting punishment, the Congress usurped themselves the right reserved to the courts.
See above
4. The wording of the act claims that the Matsumae clan has committed "treason" against the Republic, despite the fact that the clan has never harmed the republican forces after it was officially established and the constitution - the basis of its law - drafted.
See above

I do not believe the courts have the ability to change the past, nor to comment on a law which does not exist at this time. Your status was stripped, along with your castles, yet I don't believe the law currently prevents you from being samurai if you were to be adopted by other clans, the law didn't declare the Matsumae could never be samurai again, it was a one-time act.

If Congress has the right to decide who is or is not a samurai then I believe this would require a new bill to grant this status and transfer government property to the Matsumae. I would not be opposed to such a bill personally if the clan leader would draft it and be open to negotiation, but I leave this matter for the court to decide.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Final Budget Proposal (Changes noted with underlines)

20% tax on nōmin (10) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)

Total Income: 28/quarter

Debt
Debt: 60 at (10% interest quarterly)

Government Expenditures:

Army Maintenance: 2 + 1 = 3
Navy Maintenance: 3 + 6 = 9
Debt Repayments: 6 - 2 = 4
Census and Survey of Ezo: 1 (This will only last so long as the survey lasts)
Farm Improvement Program: 1
Free Credits: 6 - 6 = 0

The increase in the budget for the navy will be used to purchase 3 frigates from the French. These frigates are top of the line, superior to those being delivered to the Meiji usurpers. These frigates are completely necessary to the nation. We must begin building them now, because the Meiji frigates are scheduled to be completed next year as well. If we lose our control of the seas, whether you support non-interference or a return to retake the nation, the Meiji support our destruction and the moment the naval balance is in their favor, a hundred thousand peasant conscripts will stream across the narrow strait and end all that we have been building here. I apologize to the Finance Minister for not being able to discuss this with him in more detail. Our goals are the same, to repay the debt owed to others, yet if the nation is destroyed, our debts will be meaningless. In the future, should I carry the vote for President, I will not seek to step on his toes and leave the matter of formulating the budget to him, though I would like some discretionary funding left open for projects of worth, such as the survey and farm tools program.

(OOC: P.S. I found the memoirs of Horace Capron, https://archive.org/details/CAT30983447, and Thomas Blakiston wrote a book called 'Japan in Yezo' which I'm trying to find a real scanned copy of rather than the word-mangled scans. Also saw this which might be interesting for the Ainu guy, BrainParasite... http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/dhowell/files/making_useful_citizens_of_ainu_subects_in_early_twentieth-century_japan.pdf)

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 9, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

As we reflect upon the happenings of the previous few months, I have a few things to say, as well as setting an agenda for the rest of my term before the upcoming election.

First, our congratulations to the army and navy in the capture of Sado Island. Though there remain a few rebels in the mountains, I have no doubts that the island will be pacified shortly and the last of the traitors removed from their holdouts.

When it comes to the setting of an agenda for the next few months, I would like to introduce the following matters for discussion. I invite members of Congress to introduce bills on these matters, or to discuss with the Minister of Finance their ideas relating to how much we would need to pay for these matters.

1. The Satsuma Rebellion - Though the Satsuma were our rivals, we have here a tremendous opportunity and a great risk. If we were able to send our troops and ships to cut off Kyushu from Honshu, we could work together with the Satsuma to control the island, and integrate them into the Republic. Alternatively, if we do nothing, they may win, and establish another rival for the nation we would have to contend with. And of course, they may lose, which would further crush rebellious thought and action among the samurai remaining in Japan. I plan to seek a delegation from the Satsuma to discuss the matter with them. Anyone interested in taking part in these talks, please say so.

2. Sado Island - With the lowlands and the majority of the population captured, we now have to consider the ruling of the island, and the productivity of its gold mine, as well as its defense. How many troops should remain? How should we ensure the defense of the island? How can we clear out the rebels? How can we make the gold mine more productive? I have already spoken to Thomas Blakiston regarding the matter, I'd like him to present his plan for the improvement of the mines. I'd also invite Mr. Jules Brunet to develop a plan for the defense of the island, along with our Navy and Army Ministers.

3. The Regulation of the Samurai - Now that our survey and census are near completion, and the Supreme Court has ruled on the matter, I would like to hear opinions as to the regulation of the samurai class. However, this would tie into a proposal I shall make, which I will introduce as a bill thusly, a Samurai Regulation Code, which I propose merely as a starting point, and would like to see commentary upon, and am completely open to changes in wording or substance:

(OOC: I'm going to start proposing bills according to this manner, 2-1, representing turn 2's first bill)

quote:

2-1 SAMURAI REGULATION CODE OF 1877

A. The government has the obligation to regulate and verify membership in the samurai caste.

B. Membership in the caste is established in one of the following ways for any male:
1. Through legitimate patrilineal descent
2. Through adoption by an existing samurai clan
3. Through special dispensation of the congress

C. One's continued status as samurai is not merely contingent upon ones adoption or descent, but upon adherence to the traditional precepts of the samurai. Congress shall have the power to act as a Samurai Court, or to establish a separate Samurai Court in their stead.

D. If a samurai is found to have betrayed the ideals of the samurai, that samurai may be individually stripped of his status, contingent upon the decision of the Samurai Court. A samurai may have his status challenged for any of the following non-inclusive reasons, though circumstances may provide other reasons:
1. Betrayal
2. Cowardice
3. Disobedience
4. Dishonesty
5. Lack of Filial Piety
6. Injustice
7. Scandal
8. Dishonor

E. Samurai Rights
1. The right of samurai to vote shall not be infringed.
2. The right of samurai to carry their swords shall not be limited.
3. The right of samurai to ride upon a horse shall not be infringed.
4. The right to defend their honor according to tradition shall not be limited.
5. The right of samurai to leave the service of a daimyo shall not be infringed. A daimyo will have the choice of allowing that samurai to leave, or to bring them before the Samurai Court and call for their death or ejection from the samurai caste. If allowed to leave, these samurai shall become ronin, and be unable to enter into the service of another daimyo for a period of no less than five years.
6. The right of a samurai to follow the religion of his choice shall not be limited.
7. The right of a daimyo to promote or prevent religious activity in his lands shall not be limited.
8. The right of a daimyo to the life of a retainer belongs to the Samurai Court.
9. A samurai may not be placed in a subordinate position to a non-samurai.

I would also like to look towards the true re-establishment of the traditional order here in Ezochi and all of our domains. As such our government would establish the following offices officially, in addition to the currently-existing Republican government, including the President and Congress.

1. At least ten Daimyo, to be granted great lands and estates. Each daimyo shall be responsible for the samurai in his employ. Each daimyo shall have a place in Congress reserved. Any samurai not in service to a daimyo shall be considered a ronin.
2. The office of Shogun, protector of the Emperor. The Shogun shall have a guaranteed seat in Congress and may veto Ministry appointments. The Shogun shall act as the Head of State. The office of Shogun is hereditary to members of the Tokugawa family.
3. The office of Emperor, a unique and hereditary position, the Emperor is the divine embodiment of the nation.

Obviously these changes would need some serious consideration and Congressional approval, so please feel free to discuss them, comment, and critique, though please keep the matter civil and do not think to disparage the honor of any who take part in the debate.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

The Shogun will make an announcement soon regarding the establishment of a more traditional order. In advance of this, and after long discussions with him and Nagai Naoyuki, also taking into consideration the separate bill of Matsudaira Katamori:

quote:

2-1.1 SAMURAI REGULATION CODE OF 1877

A. The Shogunate Court, composed of the Shogun and the Daimyo, has the obligation to regulate and verify membership in the samurai caste. A register shall be made of all existing samurai and the Shogunate Court shall be tasked with the verification and adjudication of all disputes of samurai status.
1. All Daimyo shall be responsible for maintaining the rolls of the samurai of their clan.
2. Each Daimyo shall provide a 'Certificate of Samurai Status' to all samurai in their clan which verifies their status within the samurai caste.
3. Each ronin shall be able to present evidence of their samurai status to the Shogunate Court. If that evidence is accepted as sufficient, they shall be granted a 'Certificate of Samurai Status' by the Shogunate Court itself.

B. Membership in the samurai caste is established in one of the following ways for any male:
1. Through current status as a samurai
2. Through legitimate patrilineal descent
3. Through adoption by a Daimyo into his clan
4. Through special dispensation of the Shogunate Court

C. One's continued status as samurai is not merely contingent upon ones adoption or descent, but upon adherence to the traditional precepts of the samurai. The Shogunate Court shall have the power to judge and set the standards for those precepts.

D. If a samurai is found to have betrayed the ideals of the samurai, that samurai may be individually stripped of his status, contingent upon the decision of the Shogunate Court. A samurai may have his status challenged for any of the following non-inclusive reasons, recognizing circumstances may provide other reasons not listed:
1. Betrayal
2. Cowardice
3. Disobedience
4. Dishonesty
5. Lack of Filial Piety
6. Injustice
7. Scandal
8. Dishonor

E. Samurai Rights
1. The right of samurai to vote shall not be infringed.
2. The right of samurai to carry their swords shall not be limited.
3. The right of samurai to ride upon a horse shall not be infringed.
4. The right of samurai to defend their honor according to tradition shall not be limited.
5. The right of samurai to leave the service of a daimyo shall not be infringed. A daimyo will have the choice of allowing that samurai to leave, or to bring them before the Shogunate Court and call for their death or ejection from the samurai caste. If allowed to leave, these samurai shall become ronin, and be unable to enter into the service of another daimyo for a period of no less than five years.
6. The right of a samurai to follow the religion of his choice shall not be limited.
7. The right of a daimyo to promote or prevent religious activity in his lands shall not be limited.
8. The right of a daimyo to the life of a samurai retainer belongs to the Shogunate Court.
9. A samurai may not be placed in a subordinate position to a non-samurai.
10. A ronin's freedom of movement through the domains of the Republic of Ezo shall not be limited.
11. A non-samurai may not carry a sword in public, save for military duties imposed by the state.

This adjustment takes the power to regulate the Samurai caste and confers it upon the Shogun and the Daimyo. In effect, the Shogunate Court's regulation of the samurai caste becomes a separate branch of government. The laws of the Republic remain their own, however they simply state that the franchise belongs to the samurai, without regulating the samurai. Regarding Katamari-san's Samurai Registration Act, I have adjusted my bill in the following ways:

*Added a register which the Daimyo shall be responsible for maintaining
*Clarified that all those currently possessing samurai status shall be samurai
*Added clause that non-samurai are forbidden to carry swords
*Added a clause stating non-samurai can not carry swords unless directed to by the state for military purposes.

I have left out the objectionable portions of the bill. 'Honorable Purchase of Training', marriage into a samurai family, defeat of a samurai in single combat, these do and should not not necessarily allow samurai status. My bill vests that power in the Shogunate Court itself, as the Shogun was the traditional determiner of who could or could not be a samurai.

I also feel this bill assumed that all samurai will serve a daimyo, and did not make any place for ronin. I feel that the merger of these two bills should satisfy all those who worried that the samurai would become subordinate to congress. This preserves our tradition, allows us to keep the high standards of the samurai, and even to improve upon them, as well as to ensure the continued dominance of the samurai.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 13, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Enomoto Takeashi

I quote in full the bill presented by Katsu Kaishu to me. This bill I support, to attach it to a bill banning marriage between foreigners and Japanese however, should be separate.

quote:

The Act to Strengthen the Nation, Solve Economic Woes, and Birth Many Sons through Migrant Labor and Concubinage

Recognizing that necessary labor to properly cultivate the land is not present, that prices for labor are increasing, and samurai and merchant alike suffer under the status quo;

THE CONGRESS of the EZO REPUBLIC does hereby RESOLVE:

To fund a mission to China with a mission of procuring some 50,000 migrant workers, all of whom are to be FEMALE;
To empower in this task the Hakodate Shipping Company;
And to allow every male citizen of the Ezo Republic to freely take these migrants as concubines, to bear to him many children, and work alongside him in the field.
Samurai and daimyo will be forbidden to marry these foreigners.

Difficult times call for difficult measures. I assisted in the crafting of this bill. Women will serve as fine laborers in agricultural work. The fact that they are women to be granted to our laborers means that the loss in wages will be mollified by the greater labor available to their families. Because they are women, they will not transmit their Chinese culture to the children of such unions as take place. In China, times are difficult and many are starving. To allow them to escape death by accepting this status here as immigrant laborers would be a merciful act, by any understanding. No one will be forced to take a second wife, or concubine, but the laborers will be available to be hired by all Ezo citizens. In the United States, long have men paid for the passage of women to their New World, and the women were considered indentured to the men, marrying them and finding a place in their world. Here it shall be the same, something we can learn from the gaijin.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 13, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

quote:

Personal Letter to Hijikata Toshizō

It was not my intention to ignore your correspondence. You know that I value your advice greatly, and would never knowingly dishonor you. Your service to this Republic has been invaluable, and it was rightly thus that the Shogun raised you to the status of Daimyo. I am anxious to know about the status of your Han, if you have yet visited it, and how you plan to arrange the lands there. As a Daimyo, you shall receive substantial estates, yet the true nature of the job is to see that the samurai in your Han are honorable men, well-versed in the classics, as well as talented and able to offer their services to you, and the nation.

Regarding the NINJA intelligence force, it was established without my knowledge. By executive order. I have spoken to the Naval Minister, and can assure you that some of the rumors of it being a partisan organization are overstated by far, likely at the hands of anti-Christians. The men there seem sober and well-suited to their tasks. I would like you to meet with the Naval Minister, and determine for yourself whether the NINJA force should remain under the Naval Ministry's direction, or be folded into your own forces. If it remains, I leave it up to you to determine to what extent the two forces shall have cooperation and sharing of information.

I also seek your advice on the nature of this so-called Satsuma Rebellion. I shall present the details to the public, yet I feel between we two I may admit my caution. Saigo Takamori is a true samurai of a sort not often found in these days, even here in Ezo. He will never surrender, yet I fear that his position in Kyushu is indefensible. The straits there are narrow and can not be defended by ships, and our military force, even combined with Saigo's, could not defeat the literal millions among the Meiji domains who could be conscripted in defense of their realm.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Considering the unified opposition to the bill, I withdraw my support for Katsu Kaishu's bill. Though I still believe it was not as sinister as others have presented, a President must listen to his counselors and constituents, I am not an Emperor nor do I have any wish to be, thus I can not in good conscience continue to support it.

We must however, turn to other matters. The rebellion of the Samurai, the current military buildup, and the status of Sado Island.

I introduce the following bill related to Sado Island, the easier of the matters to discern. I leave it to the Finance Minister to determine how many credits would be appropriate for the bill presented here.

2-2 Sado Island Pacification and Improvement Bill

In order to reap the benefit of our conquest of Sado Island, the following shall be undertaken:

1. The final pacification of Sado Island, utilizing the military to clear the island. The Army Minister shall present a plan to drive the rebels out.
2. The improvement and modernization of the Sado Island gold mine along Dutch lines utilizing Dutch science. Thomas Blakiston shall present a plan to oversee the mine. He shall be paid for his efforts on Sado Island at a fair rate.
3. The profits of the gold mine shall be directly paid to the national treasury for the benefit of the nation and its defense and improvement.

Relating to the Satsuma, we have a few choices. I want to hear true debate on the matter, consider the benefits and disadvantages of each possibility.

1. We could ignore the situation

2. We could actively assist the Satsuma rebels and try to secure Kyushu Island

3. We could try to evacuate the Satsuma rebels to Ezo, and integrate them into the Republic as equals.

I can not foresee another basic course beyond these three that we could conceivably undertake, though if something has been hidden from my sight, I invite you to present the case. Thus far however, one of these courses will be chosen by myself for the next few months. It is up to you to show the benefits and disadvantages of each course to help me make this decision.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Army Maintenance: 6 (6 required now due to mobilization)
Navy Maintenance: 3
Military Logistics: 3 (3 required now due to supply demands)
Interest Payments: 6 (minimum to avoid increase in principal)
Road Building: 2
Sado Island Gold Mine: 1

As the finance minister has been busy of late, I'm forced to present a budget without his input and direct congressional support for the following...

No one has commented on bill 2-2, the Sado Island Pacification and Improvement Bill, yet I will be instructing the Republican Party stalwarts to vote for it to ensure that Sado Island is improved and made suitable. The new foreign workers from the Russian Empire will do much to assist in this regard.

I hereby present bill 2-3, the Treaty of St. Petersburg, and wish to express my thanks to Hayashi Tadasu for his expert negotiation. The truth is that there is no way we can realistically stop the Russians from seizing Sakhalin or the Kuril islands, thus anything we gain from this deal is something for nothing.

Bill 2-3 posted:

*Ezo claims to Karafuto/Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands are given up
*Two credits are to be paid to the Ezo Republic
*Ezo ports will be open to Russian trade
*Our merchants will see to the supply of food and timber for Vladivostok, in exchange we will gain access to coal and iron from Russia. This trade will enrich us to the effect of 1 credit per turn.
*Japanese and Ainu peoples from these areas will be free to remain, or to make their way to Ezo.

I also present bill 2-4, the Road Improvement Bill. This bill's purpose is to seek to build or improve a system of roads which will reach to the primary village or city in each Daimyo, to facilitate travel, settlement and trade throughout the nation.

Bill 2-4 posted:

*2 credits will be put towards the building of roads, beginning in our capital of Hakodate and extending northwards from there, until such a time as roads connect each of the Han.
*These roads will be flat, and large enough such that two carriages may pass by one-another unimpeded.
*Improvement of existing roads and paths will take precedence, the building of new roads will take place where there are no existing paths to be improved upon.
*Information from both the Ainu and the survey teams will find the best paths through the mountains and valleys.

I also introduce bill 2-5, the Peasant Soldiers Bill, allowing peasants to enter into the army as soldiers should they volunteer. This will help to fill some of the places lost in our forces. They would remain barred from positions as officers, which would remain solely the provenance of samurai.

Bill 2-5 posted:

*Additional spaces within the armed forces would be made available for peasants, farmers, and other non-samurai as troops to bear the brunt and be moved as pawns upon the chessfield of battle in a purely volunteer capacity.
*All officer and leadership positions within the military would be reserved for samurai

I have also made a final decision regarding the matter of the Satsuma Rebellion. Matsumae Takahiro will lead a contingent of troops to assist the rebellion there. Though we can not spare all of our armed forces, we will send him as many troops as we can without compromising our own security and the pacification of Sado Island.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 16, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I fully support the amendment to bill 2-5, now to be termed bill 2-5.1, and would ask that all who respect the military see to it. We already have a number of non-samurai within the army, let us not see our capabilities reduced due to a disbelief that non-samurai can partake in some military roles.

As for bill 2-6, I believe that the honorable Minister of the Army has failed to recognize that Sado Island has been termed the Han of the Shogun, and as such he shall act as Daimyo of the estates there. However, if he wishes to amend it such that as currently existing Daimyo they will divide their current lands and estates on Ezo as per the bill, I would fully support it, and also offer up some land in my own Han for the cause of our noble veterans.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

If anyone would have taken the time to discuss the matters with me, they could have had an explanation more in line with the details of the matter, rather than simply devolving into hysterics and name-calling. I'm going to lay down a little 'reality' for those of you who make some pretense of being in congress.

First of all, these three months, not a single person outside of the Republican Party has proposed any form of legislation whatsoever. If the army minister and I had not proposed these reforms, we would currently have literally nothing to discuss, vote on, or otherwise. I have constantly and consistently requested feedback on proposals, to be met with silence. If you will not assist me in governing this island, if you will not respond when I specifically ask for your input, then what place have you to criticize this government after the fact?

Some of the samurai of Ezo seem to live in a fantasy world where we can throw out the foreigners while they build us our warships. Where we can defeat the Meiji at every turn with seven one-thousandths their population due to our _____??. Where our will can be imposed upon anything you desire purely because we are samurai. What lessons did you learn from our being driven to this island? What wisdom have you gained? This government is working furiously at every moment to increase our coffers, to improve our position vis-a-vis the Meiji, to not only preserve but to expand the institution of the samurai and their rights and obligations while attempting to follow this constitution.

Let me bring you some of the 'good news', as the Christians say. We currently have no representation among either Sakhalin or the Kuril islands. We're also completely unable to prevent the Russians from taking the islands. Thus, we had a choice. Fight them for something we currently don't own, can't protect, and in fact has no population which wishes our control. Or benefit from selling them a claim which we, in fact, don't even truly have. By giving up this claim, our Foreign Minister got us two credits, the cost of a new, modern warship, as well as a further 4 credits per year, which we can use to the great benefit of our nation. Now, consider this, if we are strong enough to take the islands in the future, will this deal tie our hands in any substantial way? There is always a path through the forest. There is always a casus belli which can be claimed. This is something we can see from the British, Americans, French. But to sit on your estates and complain that we've given away Sakhalin, which has almost no Japanese people and never had, apart from a few traders, is outrageous, it's not based on reason, it's based on a desire simply to harass the Republican Party and those members of the Cabinet who are attempting to do their best.

The Ainu who will make their way here would do so solely because we are treating the Ainu well, not because they were forced out of Sakhalin and the Kurils. The Russian government has already agreed that no one who doesn't want to leave there has to. Consider any Ainu who move to Ezo a testimony to the improvement of the position of the Ainu here.

As for the laborers who are being sent from Russia, it is a few thousand at most, and if they were not to come, let me ask you this: Who will labor in the gold mine? We do not have an influx of laborers from Meiji Japan, which WAS the source of laborers there. Did we lose our fine warriors so that this mine could sit idle, or so that it could contribute to the expansion of our navy, which would allow the future security of this nation? You criticize without thinking, you lash out without knowledge, you offer no alternative save oblivion itself. Were we speaking as men and not as politicians, I might have drawn sword and asked to have my honor sated, yet I remind myself that this is politics, and not the field of battle.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 17, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

It will take some time, but unfortunately as my first act of this new legislative season, I will be removing Otori Keisuke from his position as Minister of the Army. He has openly defied the orders of the Commander in Chief and endangered the lives of the samurai who serve the Republic of Ezo. His actions have resulted in Matsumae Takahiro's capture. This is undeniable fact. I also have reason to believe that it was he who made the attack against Saigo's life, knowing it would fail in his attempt to see Matsumae Takahiro removed from the political scene in Ezo. I also have a strong inclination that the attack on the Shogun's wedding was related to Otori. If he would deny these actions, I call upon him to meet me on the floor of Congress, with his sword drawn and defend his honor. If he will not, then let him remove himself from the army and slink back to the hole from which he crawled.

Recognizing the increased power and presence of the Homeland faction, I hereby nominate Matsudaira Sadaaki (Takanago) to the position of army minister. His bravery and strength on the battlefield are an inspiration for all citizens of the Republic.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I will not even deign to respond to the ridiculous assertions of Otori as he attempts to preserve his position in the face of our Constitution and law. I will ask the Supreme Court to make an immediate assertion, for the benefit of the Republic. Does the President have the authority, as Commander-in-Chief and Chief Executive, to fire one of his ministers? If so, Otori Keisuke is fired.

Regardless of whether he is fired, I ask you samurai of Ezo, you noble men who have given your lives for this Republic. Who is the Master, the President or the Minister of the Army? If your Lord gives you an order, to bring 5,000 men into the field, does a Samurai take those men and do his best to see his Lord's will to the end, or does he lie, does he cheat and betray his Lord, to hold back from the Lord the truth, and then blame the Lord for the failure to win the field when he himself was the cause of that failure? Stand up for yourself, Otori. For you who have twice dishonored me, playing politics and attempting to build yourself into a power among Congress secretly, and then attempting this coup against the power of the very Republic you claim to serve. I say that you are WITHOUT HONOR. For the man who has no honor, he can win a thousand battles, perhaps yes, he can defeat his rivals, but in his heart, there is nothing but blackness, and when he is gone, none will remember him for the good deeds that he had done.

Otori pretends to care for the sanctity of the Republic. He doesn't want to shed blood in Congress. He will stab me in my back, attempt to subvert the very laws of Congress itself, but no, not blood on the floors. My fellow samurai, citizens of Ezo, I do not fear blood! And you who have shed your blood for this Republic, I know you too, do not fear blood. There is no better place for this duel then before Congress, where nothing can be hidden, none of your schemes can be undertaken! Let your supporters and mine stand by and watch as I cut your dog heart from your body or die in the attempt, but regardless... you are NOT a member of this government any longer, and you have NO authority over any member of the army.

For honor's sake, I will say this. Any samurai who wishes to follow Otori, resign your commission for the Army, you have that right. But do not throw this nation into civil war following this man who has no honor.

Otori, I will see you in Congress, or I will hunt you to the ends of this island, to the ends of the Earth!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Litos posted:

Otori Keisuke, Army Magistrate, Chairman of the Republican Party

Put away your empty threats, Enomoto. You've already conceded by both not challenging them and letting us know openly that you set up the mission to Saigo. 1,000 men are dead not because of an honorable command and attempt to support our brethren, but because of a snakelike plot by you to usurp leadership over the rebellion and satisfy your ego. 5,000 would be dead, every samurai who enlisted during the invasion of Sado if I had listened to you; this Republic would not have existed if I had listened to you in June of 1869.

Your titles you think give you powers, but you once again prove your ineptness by not reading the laws. The President is never given authority in the United States Constitution or the Ezo Constitution to vacate ministerial positions, this is only implied by his power to replace, but replacement takes a congressional vote. Furthermore, insight is necessary to govern a country, so consider this insight; you cannot fire someone without a replacement. If you are commander in chief, tell me, which battles did you command? When have you done more than hid in your office while brave men died in your name on the front?

The President cannot function in his executive capacity until he regains his mental faculties. Until then, it is up to the rest of us to keep this madman in check. I will check him with my blade, but let us not despoil the laws while we await him in his own castle, which he cowardly refuses to fight in. Only destiny can determine death, and I saved this man from his destiny out of a desire to give him a second chance. Destiny wants its deserts, and it will receive them. Enough with the excuses, be a man.

We will have a vote, inside our council and in this congress. Until you file a court case otherwise, ruling will come only through pragmatism and reality, not your titles. You cannot destroy the unity of this government and country in a time of crisis without approval, and certainly cannot do so without your own party.

Your inability to understand the government that we have established and how it functions does not mean that you get to force the government to work as YOU desire. The lines are being drawn for what is essentially a coup, by what looks to be the Army and Navy Ministers. While I have worked to see Christianity accepted by this government, in their desire for further power and protection, who knows what promises were made between Otori and the Christian faction. I am thus forced to make the following statement with a heavy heart, that Naval Minister Arai Ikunosuke is removed from his position as well.

Questioning my mental competency is laughable. I denounce every one of the claims made against me. I am the Father of the Republic. I will lay the case out for you more clearly. Last season, while I was planning the invasion of Sado and assisting in the running of the affairs of the Republic, Otori was attempting to form factions within my party, rather than face me honorably for the leadership. He claimed it was a mistake, and I foolishly believed him and let the matter stand. This year, his betrayal has become all the more unbelievable. Disobeying a direct order. Attempting to promote himself as the 'Chairman' of the Republican Party. Proclaiming that the President does NOT have the authority to fire his Ministers at will, because he does not have a replacement for those ministers, despite Congress not even having had a vote? Promoting some 'Council of Generals' as having the TRUE authority to decide who leads the army? What is this council of which he speaks, what constitutional authority grants it that power? What exactly is Otori doing in the military? While I was building a school and a new Supreme Court, he was using his time to scheme to take control of the Republican Party and engaging in vote-trading and presenting fiefs to samurai in exchange for their pledges of PERSONAL loyalty to him, NOT to the Republic of Ezo. I ask you, are these the actions of an honorable man who will protect this nation?

Once again, I denounce this madness. I have been and shall continue to fight for CONSTITUTIONAL justice here. I hereby nominate Katsu Kaishū for the position of Naval Minister, and hope that his experience as an Admiral will be sufficient to see him successfully through the confirmation process.

Regarding the attack on the Shogun's wedding, I hereby appoint the Takenaka Shigetaka, High Justice of the Supreme Court, with delivering to me a person suitable to take the position of 'Special Prosecutor'. Considering the nature of this crime, and the possibility that it extends through the highest levels of government, the necessity for independence is critical. The Shogun and Mr. Blakiston will have an official advisory capacity when it comes to choosing the special prosecutor, so that their views are definitely taken into account.

We are approaching what is clearly a constitutional crisis. The military is attempting to destroy the government, what they will erect in its place, I can not say. I ask all friends of the Republic to make their stance clear immediately.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

Bill 3-2: The Establishment of an Investigatory Committee

In light of the grave murder of the Shogun's sister, and the events in Satsuma, the Congress of Ezo finds it necessary to form an Investigatory Committee which shall be vested with the full authority of this Congress in the investigation and prosecution of any and all acts of a criminal and dishonorable nature.

Members of this committee are to be:

Katsu Kaishū (Chair)
Matsudaira Naritami (Represented by CXC, who I feel it would be inappropriate ICly to propose)
Kasuga Saemon
Nagai Naoyuki

Any prosecution to come from recommendation by this Committee will be tried in a court presided over by Judges appointed directly by the Supreme Court.

This proposal seems fair and reasonable. I would be willing to lend my support to Bill 3-2.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The Constitution of the Republic of Ezo

(OOC: I'm pasting the entire constitution and striking out anything I think our Republic would not have had, so everyone can see. I am not adding anything though I am changing United States to Republic of Ezo and giving the powers of the Senate to the Congress. This is not meant to be definitive, maybe people will disagree, but at least it gives us a basic document to discuss. I am all for letting QuoProQuid have the final say, along with the GMs. I might add notes in italics for how I think something should be changed...)

quote:

We the People of the Republic of Ezo, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Republic of Ezo.

Article. I.

Section. 1.

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the Republic of Ezo, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Section. 2.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the Republic of Ezo, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the Republic of Ezo, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

Section. 3.

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies.

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

The Vice President of the Republic of Ezo shall be President of the SenateCongress, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

The SenateCongress shall chuse their other Officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the Absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the Office of President of the Republic of Ezo.

The SenateCongress shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the Republic of Ezo is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the Republic of Ezo: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Section. 4.

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.

Section. 5.

EachThe House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each/the House may provide.

EachThe House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

EachThe House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of eitherthe House on any question shall, at the Desire of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

Section. 6.

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the Republic of Ezo. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the Republic of Ezo, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the Republic of Ezo, shall be a Member of eitherthe House during his Continuance in Office.

Section. 7.

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the Republic of Ezo: If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to thatthe House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of boththe Houses shall be determined by yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of eachthe House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the Republic of Ezo; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the Republic of Ezo;

To borrow Money on the credit of the Republic of Ezo;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian TribesAinu Tribes?;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the Republic of Ezo;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the Republic of Ezo;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Republic, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the Republic of Ezo, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the Republic of Ezo, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Section. 9.

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the StatesCongress? now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.Maybe remove this whole section

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another; nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Section. 10.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Article. II.

Section. 1.

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the Republic of Ezo. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.
Direct Election by Samurai?

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the Republic of Ezo, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the Republic of Ezo.

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the Republic of Ezo, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the Republic of Ezo, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Ezo."

Section. 2.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the Republic of Ezo, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the Republic of Ezo, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the SenatorsCongressmen? present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the SenateCongress?, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the Republic of Ezo, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the SenateCongress?, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section. 3.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the Republic of Ezo.

Section. 4.

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the Republic of Ezo, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Article III.

Section. 1.

The judicial Power of the Republic of Ezo shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section. 2.

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the Republic of Ezo, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;--to Controversies to which the Republic of Ezo shall be a Party;--to Controversies between two or more States;-- between a State and Citizens of another State,--between Citizens of different States,--between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Section. 3.

Treason against the Republic of Ezo, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section. 2.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

Section. 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the Republic of Ezo; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the Republic of Ezo, or of any particular State.

Section. 4.

The Republic of Ezo shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

Article. V.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Housesthe House shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Article. VI.

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the Republic of Ezo which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the Republic of Ezo, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the Republic of Ezo and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the Republic of Ezo.

Article. VII.

The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same.

The Word, "the," being interlined between the seventh and eighth Lines of the first Page, the Word "Thirty" being partly written on an Erazure in the fifteenth Line of the first Page, The Words "is tried" being interlined between the thirty second and thirty third Lines of the first Page and the Word "the" being interlined between the forty third and forty fourth Lines of the second Page.

Attest William Jackson Secretary

done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

G°. Washington
Presidt and deputy from Virginia

Delaware
Geo: Read
Gunning Bedford jun
John Dickinson
Richard Bassett
Jaco: Broom

Maryland
James McHenry
Dan of St Thos. Jenifer
Danl. Carroll

Virginia
John Blair
James Madison Jr.

North Carolina
Wm. Blount
Richd. Dobbs Spaight
Hu Williamson

South Carolina
J. Rutledge
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
Charles Pinckney
Pierce Butler

Georgia
William Few
Abr Baldwin

New Hampshire
John Langdon
Nicholas Gilman

Massachusetts
Nathaniel Gorham
Rufus King

Connecticut
Wm. Saml. Johnson
Roger Sherman

New York
Alexander Hamilton

New Jersey
Wil: Livingston
David Brearley
Wm. Paterson
Jona: Dayton

Pennsylvania
B Franklin
Thomas Mifflin
Robt. Morris
Geo. Clymer
Thos. FitzSimons
Jared Ingersoll
James Wilson
Gouv Morris

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Esahi, a fishery town on the western coast, has long provided the fertilizer for up to one quarter of Japan, thanks to the nearby herring fisheries. It is this government's intention to support the industry and promote vigorous trade, since this market is cut off due to conflict with the Meiji, let us instead seek markets in Korea and China. I leave it up to the Finance Minister to work this item into the budget.

Bill 3-3, The Esahi Fertilizer Promotion Bill

Funds from the government will go towards the promotion of developing the fishing industry in Esahi. These fish will be 'canned', according to methods promoted by Horace Capron, and sold to other nations to be eaten. The waste material will be turned into fertilizers, also to be sold. To this end, a fertilizer factory set up along modern lines will be developed in Esahi, with government support and loans, to develop an industry and trade selling this fertilizer to nearby nations, as well as to improve the fertilization of our own fields and farms.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Enomoto Takeaki sighed as he drew his katana... "Your understanding of the constitution is... unfortunate." He gestured towards the Congress Hall, "Your last chance to leave this world with a shred of honor, meet me as a man. Your position is lost, but do not lose the sight of the man you were, or at least the man you could have been, a man of honor. A duel to the death, the challenge has been proffered."

OOC: I'm headed to sleep and I won't be around for about 24 hours, got a busy day at work tomorrow, so please don't think I am ignoring anything. I'll catch up with what I'm sure is a lot when I return.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I'd like to thank Mr. Capron for his wise suggestions. I assure him that, after this squabble is settled, we shall continue on as before, development and self-strengthening are the key to Ezo's future.

I also support our Interior Minister's bill for the professionalization of the police force, which I think could not come at a better time.

I do not wish to wade too deeply into the matter of the investigations of the Shogun's wedding tragedy, not because I am disinterested but because I do not wish to have anyone think I am attempting to influence the results. My own opinion is that whoever is recommended to me and passes the muster of the Supreme Court, the Shogun and Mr. Thomas Blakiston will be suitable, and I will be more than happy to appoint them as a special prosecutor. If all are agreed upon Jules Brunet to head the investigation, I will make the appointment formally.

Considering the fact that we are now possessed of a crisis regarding the Army and Navy Ministers, I wish to prevent the possibility of further abuses of personal networks in the military. The NINJA organization, seeking to extend throughout the Navy through subterfuge, has been folded into the Internal Security service successfully. But the previous army minister, Otori Keisuke, had undertaken a number of actions detrimental to the purpose of the army as the arm of the constitutional government, and not merely the provenance of a Daimyo lord. Allow me to quote from the recent news:

quote:

Organizing a force of 5,000 men, President Enomoto ordered the samurai from Sado to Satsuma, to assist Saigo’s rebellion and evacuate them in the event of failure. Leading this force was Matsumae Takahiro, who, it would later be revealed, had a secondary goal. Taking initiative of his own, Army Magistrate Otori Keisuke openly defied his President’s orders and withdrew 4,000 of the men from the expeditionary force, and only allowed the dispatch of 1,000 men, certainly setting up a crisis of command between the commander in chief and his subordinate army magistrate. Some have questioned his loyalty, and call on the President to utilize his prerogative and remove him from his position.

This betrayal needs no explanation beyond itself. The President issued an order. The Chief of the Army refused to follow it. This is a government of Constitutional rights and responsibilities, we must ensure that regardless of the whims of one man, the Army and Navy both know that they have a duty to pledge themselves to the Constitution, not to individuals.

quote:

The success in Sado is greatly trumpeted by the army magistrate, in collaboration through Education Magistrate Itakura Katsukiyo, who has increasingly taken a role in providing unifying rhetoric to officials. Bolstered by the support, many of the citizenry in Ezochi proper have arisen to the task of defending their island, holding rallies day and night. Many have appeared in the Ōtori domains at an impromptu command school, training to fight against the impending invasion. The Denshūtai, an Independence War-era brigade, is revived as volunteers arrive, intent on repelling the “corrupt Meiji sell-outs.” The European role in the protection of Ezo is not mentioned by the republic’s magistrates… for now.

This was pure revisionism, and an attempt by Otori to use his own domains to set up a 'Command School' under his direction, as well as using the Minister of Education for his own propaganda purposes.

quote:

More chillingly, however, is the degree to which prominent samurai (now Daimyo) of the Republic have sought to utilize their symbolic position to further their own interests. Already, a number of Daimyo have begun to seek samurai to swear loyalty to their cause, raising fears of the same factionalization that characterized the Sengoku Jidai before the Edo period [...] Utilizing his position as head of the army, Otori Keisuke has also begun seeking pledges to his service, and has sought to utilize his disbursement of land in Sado (over which he is daimyo) to encourage samurai to pledge to him at Enomoto (and others’) expense. Tokugawa himself began training peasants and samurai to the same effect, as his own personal retinue and militia.

This kind of factionalism which was taking place within the Army itself, it can NOT be allowed to continue! We can not use the Army as a poaching ground to recruit samurai to our service to build power bases! How does this benefit the nation? What is this besides a mad grasp for power?

Thus I am appointing Kasuga Saemon, a respected and well-known man, to the position of General in the army, and Commandant of the Tokugawa Ieyasu Military Academy. His job will be twofold. First, to provide the relevant instruction to young samurai in the T.I.M.A. who would join the army in both military arts and the strictures of republican government and constitutionalism. Second, within the army, he will be tasked with assisting the newly appointed but not-yet-confirmed Minister of the Army, Matsudaira Sadaaki, in expunging any coups, factions or juntas developing or existing within the army. Newly appointed Minister of the Navy Katsu Kaishu will be, upon his successful confirmation, similarly charged with purging the navy of any suspected coup rings or disloyal officers.

Let me be clear as I say this, this is NOT political persecution. No one will be investigated for their political party or beliefs, or for saying things against the President or any other member of government, but rather regarding oaths of service they may have taken which would conflict with their duties as members of a national military. I hope that all can see with a Matsudaira and Ezo's most prominent Christian working together, that this is not a matter of factionalism, but a matter of good government and sober judgment during a time when our underdeveloped institutions of government

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

For the upcoming legislative session I'd just like to offer a few points. First I'm thankful for the support for who I hope will be our new Army Minister. I would also like to see greater support for our new Naval Minister, a former admiral, there is currently no one better qualified to lead the Navy apart from myself. If there is no candidate approved, then that is exactly what will happen, and I will have to exercise direct control over the navy, which will mean the navy will not be functioning at full efficiency, a dangerous state of affairs considering that the navy is our iron wall protecting us from conquest by the Meiji.

Second, I will unfortunately be forced to veto the Samurai Registration Act. I will return it to Congress, however with the Samurai Regulation Code of 1877 already passed, the Samurai Registration Act is superfluous, as well as far too broad in its language to withstand common sense. The language in the bill allows for foreigners to gain samurai status if they marry into noble families, a loophole I'm certain the Sakoku faction wouldn't support.

Third, just to remind Otori Keisuke, if he continues to proclaim himself either Minister of the Army or Chairman of the Republican Party, he would do well to show his leadership to the noble officers of the Army as well as his friends in the Republican Party by meeting me as soon as possible so that I can cleave his head from his shoulders.

*lips move quickly, not matching the words that come out*
Otori, your betrayal can never be forgiven. You WILL pay, HA - HA - HA

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Even if that legislation (Namtab's) were to pass, in light of the recent Supreme Court decision it would be grossly unconstitutional. Therefore I'm only able to say, Congress should spend its time on more productive matters, if such a bill were passed by Congress it would be vetoed by my office in any case. Regarding the duel, I highly advise my Vice President not to accept. There is no honor in the death of a crippled old man whose leg has been cut away entirely. Matsudaira, I advise you to live out the rest of your years remembering the glory of battle you achieved for this Republic.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 23, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
After some talk with the Homeland party, I present the following amended budget, based on improperly adjusted previous budgets that were taken at face value. In the future it would not be wise to try to sneak through tax changes by any party.

Bill 3-10 Ainu Logging Company
This bill would allow government funds to assist the Ainu in the creation of a logging company that would serve a dual purpose. The money will be spent to purchase equipment, a number of river-worthy ships able to transfer lumber, as well as a lumber mill to cut the logs.

First, it would allow the clearance of prime farmland. Second, it would allow us to sell this wood to the wood-starved cities of China, increasing trade.

Republican/Homeland Party Joint Bill posted:

10% tax on samurai merchant activity (2)
20% tax on nōmin (14) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (11) (non-land based workers)

Foreign Trade:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)

Resource/Production Income:
Gold (0)
Lumber (0)
Goods (0)
Other (0)

Total Income: 37/quarter
+2 From Russia (one turn only)

Debt
Debt: 61 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 1 owed to French creditors (interest free)

Government Expenditures (required in parentheses to maintain status quo):

Permanent Budget Items:
Internal Security: 5 (5)
Samurai Stipends: 6 (6)
Army Maintenance: 5 (5)
Navy Maintenance: 3 (3)
Military Logistics: 2 (2)
Interest Payments: 6 (6)

Special Project Funds:
Shinsengumi Police Academy/Arms Modernization (Bill 3-5): 3
Fertilizer and Canning Factory (Bill 3-3): 1
Jules Brunet's Boat: 1
Sado Island Gold Mine Modernization: 1
Ainu Logging and Trade Company (Bill 3-10): 1
Naval Investment: 5 credits for torpedo boats and torpedoes from France
Free Credits: 0

Just to make clear my own votes on the matters before Congress.

Bill 3-1 I will vote no. I was under the impression the merchant faction was preparing to make a large investment in railroads privately. If so, I don't want to pit private industry against the government, or make more than one railroad. If the private companies will not do this, then we'll have to get it done ourselves, but it's a worthy idea.

Bill 3-2 I abstain, I was under the impression Jules Brunet would head the inquiry.

Bill 3-3 Yes

Bill 3-5 Yes

Bill 3-6 Yes

Bill 3-7 No, also this bill is unconstitutional in any case.

Bill 3-8 Yes

Bill 3-9 A budget, I have produced my own.

Bill 3-10 Yes

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I hereby introduce legislation known as bill 4-20.

Bill 4-20 posted:

The turn will be posted.
The turn will not be unposted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igmK7tJ2uyw

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

With the Republic having been calmed somewhat after the events of the coup, I am cautiously optimistic about the future. First of all, those officers and legislators who joined in with the coup will be put to trial. According to both the laws of our constitution and those of our ancient traditions, these men are traitors who sought personal gain above the benefit of the nation. However, I will attempt to not prejudice the case, and allow the courts to simply deal with the matter.

To fill the vacancies in Congress, we must call a series of special elections, as outlined in the constitution. These elections will take place within 3 months to allow enough time for candidates to file and prepare their campaigns.

The military buildup by the Meiji is proceeding apace. For those who believe that Ezo can throw out the foreigners and ignore the outside world, I say to you, we will never be able to rest until the Meiji recognize that Ezo is a separate nation, under treaties of non-aggression recognized by the great powers of the world. With the defection of a large portion of our navy, we're more vulnerable than ever. Something must be done.

In accordance with the constitution, I call upon the Army Minister and Navy Minister to present to me within a short time their opinions on the current situation vis-a-vis the Meiji, and their plans to ensure the protection of both Ezo and Sado. We can not let the sacrifice of the past be in vain, Sado island is vital to the future prosperity and independence of Ezo.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I refuse to believe that it is impossible to adequately defend the Republic from the Meiji. We would never have been able to defend ourselves against the Meiji using conventional tactics. I have already spoken to the Minister of the Army. Minister of the Navy Katsu Kaishu, your statement is simply unacceptable. Though it is difficult, I call upon you to formulate a plan that lies outside the bounds of Meiji thinking. If we can not defend both Sado and Ezo from the Meiji, the solution is not to give up one or the other. The solution is to change the state of the game such that the Meiji can not attack both Sado and Ezo.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

The Announcement of the Formation of the Nationalist Party

Since the foundation of the Republic of Ezo, the Republican Party has attempted to balance the needs of the nation with the strictures of our tradition. We did not move here to end the domination of the samurai, nor to see the samurai slip into the past as some relic of the past. The samurai are necessary to the nation of Ezo, and their place within the state will remain a unique one.

With the attempted coup against the government, it has become clear that the Republican Party is currently without purpose beyond supporting a status quo that no longer serves the nation well. We have attempted to maintain our independence with an armed fleet, yet the constant increases in Meiji naval strength and the defection of the Christian-infiltrated naval forces have left us in a dire situation. We need a new, strong, unified government able to pass the laws necessary to maintain the Republic of Ezo! The Nationalist Party maintains a number of core tenets which all members of the party are required to swear an oath to before they can join. In the manner of the American parties functioning in that other Republic, we have produced a Party Platform to allow voters to see how the Nationalist Party is different from other parties.

1. Ezo is a Constitutional Republic based upon the law. All members of the Nationalist Party will swear to uphold the constitution of the Republic of Ezo above and beyond all other traditional obligations.

2. It is necessary for Ezo to maintain a naval force superior to that of the Meiji. Without a superior naval force, we are unable to maintain our independence. The Meiji are an existential threat to the Republic of Ezo.

3. It is absolutely necessary that Ezo maintain the friendship and support of advanced European nations, while at the same time ensuring that they respect our independence, culture, religion and traditions. We can not eject foreigners from Ezo, we can not close off the nation from foreign influence.

4. The traditions we carried with us from Japan are not to be reformed. Non-samurai do not have the political knowledge, education or responsibility to be trusted with the vote.

5. A member of the Nationalist Party will support whichever policies can best strengthen the nation, militarily, economically and culturally.

As leader of the Republican Party, I hereby disband the Republican Party wholesale, and proclaim myself the first member of the Nationalist Party. I invite all other legislators who are willing to accept the platform of the Nationalist Party to proclaim their membership.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Enomoto pulls Otori Keisuke onto a stage. He is bound and gagged. His arms and legs are tied tightly where they meet his torso, his limbs purple and swollen. He begins to read from a paper...

"And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life."

Enomoto looks around the assembled crowd

"Those legislators who followed Otori into dishonor have one chance to change their fate. Swear their fealty to the Constitution, THAT is your new Shogun, THAT is your new Emperor. Otherwise, you shall experience the wrath of the Christian God some of you profess to believe in, you shall share the fate of Otori."

Enomoto nods to two men who pull down the gag from Otori's mouth. They force open his mouth, his tongue having been cut into a fork, still bloody. They hold him down and Enomoto draws his katana with a heavy sigh.

Dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. Perhaps Christianity does have much to teach us... I shall have to study this book further.

A grim chuckle, then Enomoto raises his katana and begins to hack off Otori's arms and legs...

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Since our finance minister is obviously super busy doing something else...

Budget posted:

10% tax on samurai merchant activity (2)
20% tax on nōmin (11) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
40% tax on chōnin (7) (merchants)

Foreign Trade:
France (0)
Britain (0)
Russia (1)
United States (0)
China (0)
Korea (0)
Other (0)

Total Income: 29/quarter
+6 in treasury

Debt
Debt: 61 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 1 owed to French creditors (interest free)

Government Expenditures (required in parentheses to maintain status quo):

Permanent Budget Items:
Internal Security: 7 (7)
Samurai Stipends: 6 (6)
Army Maintenance: 5 (5)
Navy Maintenance: 3 (3)
Military Logistics: 2 (2)
Interest Payments: 12 (6)

Apart from increasing the budget of the Internal Security agency, since no proposals have been placed, and the French claim to have no further ability to sell us ships, the finances have been put towards servicing our debt.

I also introduce the following bill

Bill 4-2, Ainu Normalization Act posted:

The Ainu will henceforth be considered full citizens of the Republic of Ezo, and be granted the status of 'ko' for taxation purposes. No limitations or advantages will be applied to them that would not be applied to any other citizen.

I also nominate Matsumae Takahiro to the position of Education Magistrate. It will be his job to replace Itakura Katsukiyo (NPC), who was involved in the coup attempt last year. He will be investigated fully, and if the Sakoku faction is found to have had a hand in that, it will bode ill for them.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Enomoto slams his fist on his desk before penning a letter

A letter to Thomas Blakiston posted:

I have assisted this investigation in any way possible, and this is how I am repayed? Surely as an Englishman you are familiar with the concept, innocent until proven guilty. I can not fire a man for merely being a suspect when as you so gently put it some time ago, ANYONE could have been the culprit. Your statements of distrust in this government are going to cause you problems if you wish this government to continue supporting you and your business ventures. You are expressly forbidden from transporting any soldier of Ezo away from the island during this time of crisis. Cowards fight best when their backs are to the wall. I have no interest in how barbaric or civilized you perceive me to be, but I do have an interest in maintaining control of this nation.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

The betrayal of the Minister of the Army is an indictment of this nation. Because of this betrayal, the lives lost in the conquest of Sado have been wasted, their very memories shat upon. If we can not stand together, what use is it for us to have our own nation? I call upon Matsudaira Sadaaki to form a true party to act as a loyal opposition to the Nationalist Party. I also would request that the Minister of the army propose a method to bring the burgeoning militias under the control of the Army, until such time as they can be disbanded. Militias can not be allowed to operate under the personal control of samurai, there must be a method to ensure that they follow a chain of command. We can only defeat the Meiji through greater organization.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 14, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I also wish to call upon the Minister of the Navy, Katsu Kaishu, to present to the Republic an explanation as to why the navy was unable to secure Sado Island, why it was unable to engage the Meiji fleet, and why the Minister himself spent more time seemingly organizing peasant militias than in running the navy. Our vaunted and powerful navy seems to have spent the past three months on a pleasure cruise. I want to know where this went wrong, and how the Minister of the Navy plans to rectify this problem in the future. Also, what is his plan regarding our rogue previous Minister of the Navy? This information is to be delivered publicly, as quickly as possible. I will not tolerate delay on this matter, it is far too important.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Having heard no acceptable justification from the Minister of the Navy, Katsu Kaichu, about his recruitment of militia, his lack of a plan to defend Sado Island, and his lack of any reasonable explanation as to why he was unable to engage the Meiji navy over the past few months in any meaningful way, I am sadly forced to remove him from his position as Minister of the Navy. We thank him for his service to the nation, but in this time of warfare, the nation requires a more active commander of the navy who is able to communicate with the Commander in Chief. This is not the moment when our naval minister can be distracted by domestic issues, as I fear has become the case. I will be examining potential candidates to determine a suitable replacement for Katsu over the next few days and will announce my decision shortly.

Ceterum censeo Meijiem esse delendam.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I just want to make it clear. I support the act to return order to the militias which have been recruited. We can not allow militias to be recruited wildly, and putting them under the control of the government is absolutely necessary. That is not to disparage those who have joined militias, but to have the maximum usefulness we need to incorporate them into a formal structure of command to ensure that we can defeat any Meiji invasion. However, it is my hope, my fondest desire, that the Meiji will never set foot on Ezo. I hereby announce that I am taking full control of the Navy of the Republic of Ezo personally, absorbing the naval portfolio into my own administration, as Commander in Chief. When it comes down to it, there is no one in Ezo with more experience leading the navies than myself. I will lead our navy to true victory and defeat the scourge of the Meiji navy once and for all should they step foot off of their islands.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

EZO FLAG REDESIGN COMPETITION

I would also like to announce that over the next few months we will undertake a competition for the redesign of a new national flag for the Republic of Ezo. Any person may make multiple submissions. The winner will be chosen by a panel of esteemed judges by voting and will be adopted as the new flag of the nation. In a time of conflict with the Meiji, we must reinforce Ezo's national feeling with the creation of a new flag that truly reflects Ezo society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
(OOC: We talked to him GMs and helped him work out this char, and we'd like to shift him into the Foreign Minister position since ForeverBWFC doesn't seem to be playing anymore)

• Locked thread