Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Joining as Matsudaira Tarou - Vice President (Republican)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Matsudaira Tarou - Vice President

I respectfully include my name for consideration to head the commission. I feel I can fairly weigh the facts of the case and find out who was responsible for the abhorrent attack.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

While I respect the Supreme Court's decision this leaves the Army without a clear commander. In my capacity as President of Congress I will convene an emergency session of Congress to approve Matsudaira Sadaaki.

Also, I will assist Jules Brunet in his investigation. I will use my powers as Vice President in any way I can to bring the killer(s) to justice.

OOC: Does command automatically go to the NPC 2nd in Command of the Army by default for the interim until the appointment goes through?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Namtab posted:

To fix the hole in our constitution that leaves the cabinet open to immediate unilateral dismissal by the president, I propose:

Dismissing members of the cabinet
-Future dismissals from the cabinet will require a vote to be made by the cabinet.
-In the event of a tie, the president's decision is enforced.
-Therefore, blocking the removal of a member of the cabinet requires a clear majority NO vote by the remaining members.

Replacing members of the cabinet
-As per the constitution, if the decision to remove a member of the cabinet is approved by the remaining members, the president shall suggest an initial candidate for that post, which will go to congressional vote. Majority wins.
-If this appointment is blocked, members of congress may announce their candidacy for the vacant position. Prospective candidates require two seconds by other members of congress.
-The presidents's candidate will also be eligible for this vote.
-Once the period to announce candidacy ends, members of congress will vote for which candidate they feel should take the vacant position. The candidate with the most votes will take the position.

I would be happy to hear any amendments/suggestions anyone has for this bill, but as it stands Sakoku-ha votes YES

Why should the President have to get a vote of his cabinet to dismiss members? This change is ridiculous, the Cabinet serves at the pleasure of the President and thus he should have the freedom to dismiss them as needed. The check on this power comes from Congress having the ability to confirm the appointment of any Cabinet member.

Your bill adds unnecessary layers of bureaucracy to a process that already takes a long time to get new appointees in. If you want to make a meaningful constitutional amendment, why don't you create a provision that allows the President to make an acting appointment until Congress can convene to confirm an appointment. Having Congress squabble for Cabinet appointments that should only be made by the President is ludicrous. Not to mention having the ability to vie for a Cabinet position if an appointment is blocked completely disincentivizes Congress to confirm any appointment.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 23, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Namtab posted:

It figures that the vice president would want to leave unilateral power in the hands of his boss, so that one day he can have those powers when he becomes president.

Looks like the president and his lackeys will do naught but block meaningful reform. I ask the rest of congress, is this a democracy or a dictatorship?

E: Your mum sends her best

What are you talking about me becoming President? We just had an election! You dishonor yourself and your party with such baseless accusations.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Namtab posted:

You talk of dishonouring myself when you are so quick to block legitimate reform? What other reasoning could you have other than you coveting the presidential position for yourself.

I recommend that you apologise for your insults towards the sakoku-ha party, or be prepared to back them with your blade following my release from hospital.

Your "reform" is laughably bad. Your provision allowing for Congressmen to vie for Cabinet positions once an appointment has been blocked will pretty much prevent any future Presidential appointments from being confirmed. I will not back down from my words.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

President's Army and Navy Minister Appointments- Yes
Bill 3-1 Yes
Bill 3-2 Is this necessary? I vote for Brunet whatever option that would be
Bill 3-3 Yes
Bill 3-4
Bill 3-5 Yes
Bill 3-6 Yes
Bill 3-7 No
Bill 3-8 Yes
Bill 3-9 I vote for the Republican/Homeland Party Joint Bill FINAL (final)
Bill 3-10 Yes

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I support Bill 4-1

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

(Excerpts from a speech given to newly trained and armed peasant conscripts

People of Ezo, I will not mince words. We stand at the cusp of a very tumultuous time, the days are dark and the nights are long and cold. The Meiji beast sharpens its claws, preparing to invade our shores with wave after wave of men. Men who will not stop at any measure to bring down our fledgling Republic. Make no mistake about it, these men will not hesitate to drink in the spoils of war. They will rape your wives and daughters, they will murder you and your sons. This is not mere rhetoric, but an age old story repeated by every invading force since man first scrabbled together weapons of sharpened sticks and stones and attacked his neighbor. Every man, woman, and child must be prepared to fight to repel the Meiji invader. This is no longer about politics, or nationalism, or even about pride and honor. This is survival, plain and simple. I have been a part of many battles, I have seen what happens to a man when the smell of blood and combat gets to him. I have experienced that dizzying sensation of battle, when one's thoughts fall away and a man becomes a killing machine. He relies upon his training alone, not just to kill but to survive! That is why you are here today, because when the Meiji invader lands upon our shores you must be ready to fight! You must be ready to kill! YOU MUST BE READY TO SURVIVE!!

Vice President Tarou draws his katana and lets out a howling battle cry, the sound piercing the crowd of astonished onlookers who raise their fists and respond with cries of their own. Waves of battle cries roll across the newly invigorated conscripts as Vice President Tarou holds his katana above his head, a satisfied smirk crossing his face.

Separately- Vice President Tarou proposed Bill 5-1- The Militia Regulation Act. All local militias in Ezo report directly to the normal Army Command structure and are under the control of the Army Minister. Militias made up of foreign soldiers will report directly to their commander, who then reports to the Army Minister, President, and Vice President directly.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 18, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I find it ironic the shogun's supporters are complaining about his arrest, however his regent still controls a private militia in clear violation of the militia regulation act.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Stalin-Chan posted:

Ayasato Mayoi, co-counsel for the Shogun

You should probably mention that keeping us from seeing the Shogun before the trial violates Ezo's 6th amendment, Kiichi.

As I mentioned before, the Shogun's regent is illegally in control of a private militia which represents a clear danger to public safety. Were he to publicly relinquish control of this militia to the Army we could then talk about seeing him.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 4, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Namtab posted:

"If the regent stops breaking the law, we will too"

-The Nationalist Party, unironically

Because giving the location of the Shogun to people who have an elite trained private army and a healthy disregard for the law is a brilliant idea. You bring dishonor to your party with your ignorance.

Also Mr. Brunet's forces have always been in compliance even before the law was passed. As to your point with guards, a contingent of personal security is one thing, however as I previously mentioned the Shogun has raised and trained a private army and his regent refuses to comply with the law.

OOC this isn't conjecture its clearly stated in the turn

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Stalin-Chan posted:

so we can have a private army, we just can't call it a militia.

Uhhh no. Mr. Blakiston appears to have imbibed a bit too much before making hia statement. Foreign soldiers do fall under the militia regulation laws. Regardless his and Mr. Brunet's forces do report to the appropriate government officials as required in the law.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Matsudaira Tarou - President

I am saddened by the death of President Enomoto. He was like a father to me, and a father to our Republic. As recompense for his death, I have ordered the entire family of Itakura Katsukiyo to commit seppuku for the dishonor of their kinsman. I take the burden of responsibility of my new position quite seriously, and I will not rest until Ezo has achieved domestic and international peace and stability. We have weathered the initial storm, but there will be more to come. The Meiji will only lick their wounds for so long, and like any wounded animal they will learn from their mistakes and prepare to attack again.

For my first order of business, I hereby award the Order of the Asarum with Grand Cordon posthumously to the deceased President Enomoto Takeaki. This is the highest order of our nation, and I can think of no better man to be the first to receive it than the Patriarch of our great country.

OOC:(counterpart to the Order of the Chrysanthemum, since the Asarum is the crest of the Tokugawa)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Chrysanthemum

For my second order of business I appoint Hijikata Toshizō as Vice-President.

For my third order of business I request a status update on the condition of Ezo's economy and infrastructure from Matsudaira Naritami and Matsumae Takahiro. I give them authority to use the Captured Meiji POW's as a labor force to rebuild whatever is necessary as punishment for their crimes against the state of Ezo. Submit an updated budget for me to review.

For my fourth order of business I request a mass trial and sentencing for the Meiji POWs from Matsudaira Naritami.

I will have more business and updates in the coming days, where I will address security, foreign affairs, and diplomatic relations.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

This is nonsense. I cannot tolerate any more of your blatant disregard for law and order, Matsudaira Sadaaki. I hereby remove you from the position of Army Minister. You have brought dishonor to our government.

I also order the sale of Katsu Kaishu's seized land holdings and that part of the profit be used to repair the damage done by Matsudaira Sadaaki and his mobs.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I hereby announce the Domestic Safety and Stability of Ezo Act

Inciting or participating in mob violence, destruction, or violent civil unrest or disturbance is punishable by a minimum of 10 years in prison to a maximum penalty of death, depending on the severity of said unrest.

Also, I nominate Kasuga Saemon as new Army Minister. His bravery, leadership, and distinguished service record make him an excellent candidate to lead our nation's army going forward.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 24, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I hereby announce the nomination of Saeki Fumiko as Education Minister. She has shown herself worthy of the title of Samurai and has brought honor to her clan, and she has shown herself worthy of being Education minister. While some will have concerns about her gender, many teachers are female and she can best communicate with them and gain their trust and confidence.

In addition, I will work on a new budget proposal shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

For the case of Mizoguchi v. Republic of Ezo (cabinet position case) I would like to note that there is nothing constitutionally preventing a person from holding multiple cabinet positions. Especially now in the case of Ezo where we face a critical shortage of competent, sane, and loyal officials who could be appointed to these extremely important cabinet positions. The difficulties in specifically managing the Army and Navy and the previous traitors, psychopaths, and incompetents who held these positions caused great damage to our nation.

For the case of Masaoka v. Republic of Ezo (woman questions) I defer to the arguments presented by Matsudaira Naritami and Matsumae Takahiro who have both covered all relevant points in the case.

• Locked thread