Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Keiko
FP: 0
Stress: XXO

Keiko takes a few moments to stare dumbfounded at this brand new bird. If this thing wasn't a real Phoenix, someone needs to lay off the real-life CG. Or remind Keiko to take off her COMP.

Nope, the bird is still there.

"Ok then... um, hi, I'm Keiko, and thanks, I like my hair too. I want a ride to..." she checked the time. She was late. Ah hell, if Kito-san couldn't forgive her for missing the meeting because of a collapsing building, she had other things to worry about. Besides, it was NEVER a bad time for PR.

"Nevermind that. I don't live here, and if we don't do something soon, no one is going to be alive here! Think you could light up and show everyone where the exit out of deathtrap is?"

Flashy roll for Phoenix!
Krysmbot
7:04 omegagoo, --+/+2 = 1

I have to disappear and I don't know if that's a success or not. If it IS a success, we'll go with the aspect Beacon of Hope on Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Jodie Vessot
1->2 FP, Stress: [][X][X]

Jodie glances down at the snake slithering beside her. Demonic snakes are surprisingly easy to sway, as it turns out. She could just stomp it and move on with her life... But 1/75th of Toubyo is still a better ally to have than anyone else she's met in this city.

"First off, some ground rules. One, no biting anyone I don't want you to bite. You will know when I want you to bite someone. Two, stay hidden when you can. Three, don't call me mistress. You got that?"

The snake gives her an almost imperceptible nod.

"Good. Now come on." Jodie adjusts her COMP and smirks at nothing in particular as she starts forcing her way through the rubble.

"We got better things to do than hang around here."

Taking that compel.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Uri Ott
FP: 0 Stress: [ ] [X] [X] (-2) Mild Consequence: Pettiness

"Fair enough," Uri smiles as he accepts the knife and begins signing with his own blood, "That definitely stings," he continued to sign, "but I should correct you: I don't recall summoning you and I had no deed, certainly no nefarious deed, in mind when I did not do so."

It's around this time that he notices the building is on its last leg and, rather unfortunately, about to fall on all of them, "Though, I don't imagine you'd be strong enough to stop the tower from tilting like that? Ah, but maybe you have something other than strength. From the way you talked, you should at least know the other...beings like yourself well enough to tell me what they're capable of, so we can think of a way to stop this thing from crushing the entire block."

It was likely going to collapse--he couldn't immediately think of a way to prevent that--but maybe they could make it implode or fall in a more orderly fashion into itself? Knowledge of the building could help with that, though Mithras' information might reveal an even better plan.

Cleverly Create an Advantage for Stopping the Tilt 4dF+3 5
I still feel like orokos is a troll, giving the target number on a roll to create an advantage to help hit said target number.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Souji Tunoku FP:3 Stress: XXX

Souji spits in his own hand and gives Arjuna's a shake!

"I'll take that. Let me know how you got those wives and it's a deal."

And THAT'S when he hears the groan.

"Alright, time to leave!"

He leaps atop some of the rubble and begins directing others away from the impending crash! Phoenix's glow seems to light him up, drawing even more attention to him! His ideas aren't the best or most original, but he seems to quickly become a figurehead!

"Everyone! Listen up! I know things've been rough, but we can't relax yet! Time to get out of here, on the double! You over there - you seem healthiest, help that group over there, the injured ones! And you over there, take the lead! Come on, let's push!"

Flashy!: 4dF+2 3
Tagging Beacon of Hope to succeed with style. Why? Because you guys get +1 when you use my boost, that's why!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura
FP: 0 Stress: [X] [ ] [X]

Kenji brushes a few pieces of dirt and rubble off of Suzaku. "All in the past."

And then he looks up at the now rapidly-collapsing Wakah Chan tower, a concern of the future. Of course, where others might see an imminent hazard to survivors and pedestrians all around, Kenji thinks about everything inside. Every single server, every single piece of S-N property, his entire workplace, his entire career. Everything he had spent the last several years working towards was about to collapse into nothing.

"Suzaku, I need you to stop that majestic building's collapse right now."

At once, the beautiful bird is back in the air, flying with grace around the building falling without grace. And then he swoops around one of Wakah Chan's neighbors: a smaller, less stylish skyscraper seemingly doomed to live in the larger's shadow. With a fantastic red explosion on the far side of the building, however, it would lose its chance to escape that fate. Just as Wakah Chan starts tilting dangerously downwards, the smaller starts collapsing towards it until the two have collided.

They stop in each other's path, with the shorter wedged under the taller. Have they stopped?

Carefully stopping the tower's collapse
<Takanago> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +-+-+3 = 3
Tagging Uri's advantage to make that a 5.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Eleanor
FP: 0 Stress: O O O

"Nn-nnn. Not even a teensy bit." There's a little half-smirk before Eleanor chomps down on a chunk of cucumber sandwich to emphasize the point.

Of course, they can't just sit around on their horrible garbage-chan throne and watch forever, as the sight of the GIANT loving WHEN DID IT START RAINING CHUNKS OF METAL ANYWAYS THAT'S NOT FAIR THAT'S NOT PROPER WEATHER reminds them, and so Eleanor rises (signalling for Titania to get up too, and shooting her a reasonably nasty glance if she isn't quick about it).

Eleanor rises, and she deigns to help the others by...having Titania do it.

"Hmph, if you were strong enough to wrench open that door, why don't you make a contribution and go.....go punch your way into an exit for all of us or something, hmmmmmmmm?"

Rolling for Titania to Forcefully find us all an exit. Somehow. Very possibly with her fists.

(7:08:43 PM) ningyou: !r fudge+2
(7:08:43 PM) Krysmbot: ningyou, //+/+2 = 3
(7:08:50 PM) ningyou: ballinnnnnnnnnn'

Yep.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 2, 2014

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
The dim emergency lights running up the spine of Wakah Chan Tower flicker and die as the skyscraper woozily topples over, just as another, lesser corporate tower1 falls into its path and holds it upright (though at a slightly worrying angle) like an equally drunk but otherwise well-meaning best man at a buck's party. The earsplitting sound of collapsing metal comes to a stop, a somehow stylishly smug screech echoing across the evening sky.

For a few moments, everything is quiet. Everyone nearby looks on in stunned awe, whether due to the whole tower collapse thing or the flaming avian beacon is hard to determine. Jodie manages to slip out through some rubble more or less unnoticed in the gathering crowd behind Keiko, though the hissing coming from her dufflebag causes a few distracted looks.

In the silence, a muffled mumble that almost sounds kind of like someone insulting the sloppy pouring and questionable ancestry of a slab of concrete can be heard. Fortunately the curious don't get close enough to listen in before said slab comes flying out of the front of the lobby, followed by a smiling, regal figure who primly adjusts her hair and looks on at the cleared entrance in mock horror. "I'm so glad it chose to see reason."

Behind her comes a steady stream of limping salarymen, unlucky window shoppers, secretaries, marketing managers, temporarily de-princessed princesses, sort of greyish-white-hat hackers, perfectly ordinary schoolboys, and the occasional impossible creature from the weathered pages of mythology.

You made it. Good job. You're heroes.

quote:

S-N Central Server Re-booting...

"I am afraid our time is at an end." intones Mithras, as streams of digital overlay envelop the forms of the assembled demons. Arjuna thumps his rapidly dematerialising chest. "May we meet again side by side on the field!". With a flash, they're gone.

Lights begin to flicker in spots up and down the tower as auxiliary power comes online. An annoyingly familiar voices comes booming out of the tower.

"Ahem, is this thing on?"

The tower's external AR billboards, usually displaying some franchised wonder of Sac-Nicte design but for the whole power outage thing, flicker to shaky life and display an equally shaky Canek across the Tower's height.

"People of Sunrise, remain calm! Though our beloved President cannot address you herself, I am here to... no don't yank on it by god get me some morphine "..I am here to tell you that we are doing everything possible to ensure your safety in the face of this opportunistic terrorist attack! Even now the ringleaders of this cowardly action are being cornered by Sac-Nicte Security! Should the names of Soijin Tunaku, Elanore Lottemind, Ori Utt, Kinji Yomura, Julie Vessit, Maki Makiyama or Keiki Iwatoni be uttered anywhere in your presence, notify SacSec immediately! Also ignore any giant monsters they may summon, they are merely advanced AR basilisk hacks. It's best not to look directly at them!"

You'd probably be in the clear with those sweet cover names, if not for the flickering pictures of yourselves lighting up the side of the tower. Well, except for Eleanor's, which gets suddenly overlaid by another photo as though someone inside the tower were cutting into Canek's broadcast. There's suddenly a lot of looming gasmasks as security teams try to subtly surround your position.

From the rubble aside the tower, a figure in black waves curtly. Then she raises her weapon.

Private Message: Irene posted:

You got people out. You did the best you could.

The best I can do is to give you twenty seconds head start.

It might be an idea to lie low for a while.

1gently caress 'em, they probably sold bank bailouts to wealthy monocle magnates. Or something.

________
Horrible railroad ends here! You've got some time to work out where you're going and discuss what even in the hell, but best walk and talk. If you haven't put a city location in the OOC thread yet, or want to change/double dip, feel free to do so at this particularly convenient time.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 5, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Souji Tunoku FP:4 Stress: OOO

Compelling Hot Blooded Impatience

"WRONG!"

Souji rushes not away from the impending slaughter but TOWARDS it, dashing as fast as he can, until he reaches Irene! The world seems to slow down as he lunges forward, fist wound up. Behind, the AR screen seems to pause on a someone apathetic and sullen picture of Souji, a clear difference from the angry and energetic one leaping forward - and then he delivers the punch right to the side of her face!

Forceful PAUNCH!: 4dF+3 2

"The least you owe us is an explanation. You have twenty seconds to soothe your own conscious. Better start."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

She busts her rear end trying to get out of that deathtrap of a tower and what do they do? They pin the whole thing on her. They didn't even have the tact to let the disaster sink in. They just went up and announced that "Julie Vessit" was the next bin Laden. And you know what? They at least gave bin Laden a few hours before they blamed 9/11 on him. They're skipping straight to the burial at sea for poor little Jodie Vessot.

Okay, they're giving her twenty seconds before the burial at sea. That's good. She can work with that. Melt into the crowd before anyone notices her. They flashed her headshot on the big screen, but all that means is that she'll have to cover her face while she still can. Grab a baseball cap off some guy's head while he's staring at the jumbotron, pull it down low over the eyes. Pluck a scarf out of someone's shopping bag, wrap it around the mouth and chin. After that, all she needs to do is keep her head low and avoid eye contact. You know, look too cold and miserable after all this carnage to bother with. It will work out.

"Hey, where's my hat?"

drat it.

Going to Stealthily Create An Advantage by making a half-decent disguise and just blending into the crowd: Not The One You're Looking For: 4dF+2 -1 Can't really figure out a good justification for Driving my way out of this, my aspects don't help me blend into a crowd that well...

Destrado, please be gentle.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Uri Ott
FP: 3->2 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Well, he didn't have to worry about finding Canek anymore. And 20 seconds? That was worrisome, as it was already more like 16 seconds. Running away would be suspicious and draw attention, so maybe he should just saun--or not. It would be in bad taste to leave Mr. Tunoku behind, so might as well stay nearby and do something productive until it seemed a good time to jump in.

Hmm, he'd already considered doing this in the future, even before Canek tried to frame them and all, but he could 'interrogate' Debug-chan for good blackmail on, well from her point of view, 'himself'. That was likely the best course of action. The sillier he could make Canek look, the less likely people would be to believe him. Practically politics 101.

Suddenly he remembered something else as well, "Omura," he addressed the business man, "earlier you'd said you were looking for the president. Did you find her?"

As he spoke he was already typing questions to Debug-chan, asking such things as "I've forgotten, but what are my most visited websites. Debug-chan~?", anything that could lead to embarrassing answers. He could probably send the best of what he found to every COMP connected to the network, along with whatever Mr. Omura could add to it.

Carefully Interrogate Debug-Chan 4dF+1 0 + Open Knowledge 2
It's very important to open up the machine called Canek and get all the dirt that makes him tick.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"What? What!? WHAT!?" Keiko's voice rose two octaves in those three words. Sure yeah, Canek getting her name wrong was irritating, but the fact that she was insanely recognizable meant that if anyone wanted to find her, they probably could.

... Of course, fame can be wielded, too.

Flashily creating an advantage!
Krysmbot
11:35 omegagoo, +--++2 = 2
We've got some Devoted Fans in this here crowd.

"Alright folks!" she shouted, drawing the attention of the dazed office workers nearby, "If I promise you I had nothing to do with the building exploding like I'd do that while I was on the 18th floor, sheesh, will you tell me the fastest way to not be here?"

While waiting for a response, Keiko put her COMP back on her face and started talking. "Don't pull up any AR or scheduling poo poo. Open COMPChat, message: 'Anyone who thinks I'd stage a terrorist attack on Wakah Chan Tower is an idiot.' Post."

Now where were the rest of the people who were getting blamed for this? She was worried about Kenji, and the princess, and that cool kid with the... wait, that's him. What the hell is he doing?

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 16, 2014

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Eleanor

Taking a Compel on Lick My Boots and Call Me Princess, because whyyyyyy not.

Oh, that will not do at all. Eleanor storms up to face the mess of gasmasked lackeys and Irene, dragging Titania along with her. "How DARE you? Not only do you get my name wrong, you don't even have the decency to show a proper picture of me?! Well, let me tell you something! I am a princess and I brought down that stupid building! I brought it down by rolling up my sleeves and giving it a good walloping and some sass and....and horrible princess magic! Yeah! And then I gave a fairy a bloody nose! And conscripted her!" She gives Titania a hearty slap on the rear in what one can only guess is an attempt to illustrate this last part, or...who even knows? "So you'd better just run along maybe grovel a bit first if you know what's good for you or I'll bring you down just like I brought that whooooooole tower down! Emotionally! A-and also physically!"

Rolling to Flashily create an Advantage.

(8:57:42 AM) ningyou: !r fudge+3
(8:57:44 AM) Krysmbot: ningyou, --+-+3 = 1

Aaaand Invoking that same Aspect to raise my roll up to 3! BADDEST BITCH. or at least medium bad i guess

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

"No," Kenji answers, his eyes focused on the movement of the security forces. "I didn't find her. Not that it matters. She is, without a doubt, dead."

He starts mentally calculating a way out, making notes of exit points, and looking for obstacles that might possibly get in the way. "Do yourself a favor and get out of here as soon as you can. I don't know what those fools think they're doing, but whatever's going on here is much bigger than Canek, President Kalinda, or any one person at S-N."

The businessman darkens the tint of his COMP sunglasses. "Get ready to run."

Takanago> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> Takanago, /+/-+3 = 3
Carefully creating the advantage Escape Route to plan a way out of the impending mess.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
A shotgun isn't a precision weapon. It's basically a lead pipe filled with explosions and shrapnel, anything else is just clever marketing. They're built to hit moving targets. Let alone moving targets that are moving directly towards you when you already have your weapon up.

Somehow, the shotgun that goes off in Irene's hands manages to miss both the oncoming protohero or wing any innocent bystanders in the crowd behind him. What are the odds? For a moment, Souji's fist grazes her cheek. Then she moves with the impact, sweeping the gun under his legs and sending him flying back down the pile of rubble that she stands on. She takes a few steps downwards, before pumping another shell into the chamber.

"Freeze! Sac-Nicte Security!"

Her eyes twitch from side to side erratically, silently manipulating her COMP.

seventeen seconds what part of get maki out are you not getting

Irene rolled a 5 for defense like a week ago, and uses the boost and rolls 3 to create Stage Match with two invokes
___

Jodie successfully snags the hat and covers up. Unfortunately it is the most offensive hat ever, so visually and morally repugnant that it and the description of the girl under it is immediately burned into the memories of countless nearby witnesses. A couple of elderly ladies tut-tut in outrage before double-taking, peering up at the tower, then back at Jodie, then back at the tower. Gears usually accustomed to dabbing bingo sheets begin to turn...

____

Debug-chan posted:

Accessing your recent browsing history, Canek-sama...

jlist.com

google.com/search?q=where+to+buy+chloroform

memrise.com/course/64590/ancient-greek-koine-for-beginners/

google.com/search?q=is+chloroform+a+real+thing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroform

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus

google.com/search?q=HOW+DO+I+TURN+OFF+CAPSLOCK

google.com/search?q=how+do+i+get+president+senpai+to+notice+me

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Summoning_(video_game)

google.com/search?q=legal+marry+digital+avatar

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summoning_(disambiguation)

google.com/search?q=is+it+incest+if+it+is+your+own+program

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evocation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeticism

google.com/search?q=corporate+line+of+succession

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_magic

____

Maybe it's the distraction up on the rubble drawing attention. Maybe it's the fawning fans linking arms and staring down security like only a pile of skinny salarymen can (#theIdolisInnocent is trending locally on CompNET1 all of a sudden). Hardened mercenaries flinching away in confused hesitation from the sight of a roaring royal who can seemingly make winged women disappear in a flash of light with a mere pat on the patootie is almost certainly involved. But there's a calm moment amongst the chaos, the crowd gaggling this way and that, when Kenji can see it clearly - just dart here, around that dumpster, through that flowerbed, down that alley, and they'd be in the clear...

The sight of Maki standing near the alley, trying to both wave over their attention and look inconspicuous at the same time (with contortionate results) probably helps.

1 Not to be confused with #InnocentIdol, which is also trending for unrelated reasons you probably don't want to know about.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

And now Jodie's run into a gang of moralizers. Great. She's not even sure what the big deal is, to be honest. It's just a hat, how bad could it be?

Okay, yeah, that's pretty bad. But now everyone's staring at her, and the only way Jodie can get out of this is if she gives them something to look at. No, not like that. That wouldn't help at all. She'll just throw the hat up, they'll all keep watching that, and she can just sneak off while they're busy staring at a stupid hat. Maybe she'll head for that alleyway over there? Yeah, that sounds good. There are hordes of people looking for her there. At least, there shouldn't be. There better not be any.

Going to try to Sneakily get out of this drat crowd: Show Them My T...hrow: 4dF+2 2 Eh, I'll take it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Uri Ott
FP: 2 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

If Uri's opinion of the man had already been approaching rock bottom before, it was now violently drilling through the rock to reach some form of hell below, perhaps the hell reserved for pedophiles, rapists and instigators of incestuous unions. In short, he was disgusted. Not disgusted enough not to notice Mr. Omura's statement about getting ready to run--the man likely knew how to navigate the area better than he did--but perhaps too disgusted and thus too distracted to do an adequate job of accessing the tower display to see if he couldn't swap it over to displaying the dirt he'd dug up on Canek, both to discredit the sorry excuse for a man and to hopefully add another distraction for Mr. Tunoku to use in his own escape.

"Might be better to walk," Uri corrected the businessman as he attempted to do his thing with the display, "Only the guilty would have reason to run at the moment."

Cleverly Swapping the Display 4dF+3 0
The world will know eventually, one way or the other!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Souji spends yet another precious second glaring for a moment...his eyes ALSO moving.

[ Not over. We WILL meet again. And then you'll tell us everything. ]

He sprints for the others, grabbing Maki as he goes.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

Oh, now he moves. Good. Now it's her turn to make an exit.

"Alright folks! See you guys at the next concert!" she yelled, taking off running... in the wrong direction. It's not that she doesn't know where she's going. She saw the cool kid run off, she knew where she needed to go. Instead, she ran toward the oncoming security force, pulling a fan out of her sleeve. Never leave home without a smoke bomb for escape from the paparazzi. Or in Keiko's case, a packet of cherry blossom petals. A flourish of her fan, and a pink explosion of flowers enveloped her.

Considering the confusion already, only careful observers would notice the form disappearing into the shadows of the collapsed buildings. This time, heading in the RIGHT direction.

Flashily being a distraction!
Krysmbot
9:14 omegagoo, -/+-+2 = 1
That's a CaA just in case we need more tags for some reason.

A moment later, RedPhoenixR posted a new message: "Red has left the building."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

"Well either way," Kenji answers, "this looks like our cue."

Carefully watching the movements of the crowds and the major actors, the businessman starts briskly pushing his way through his pre-planned escape route towards the exit.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Eleanor

Now's as good a time as any to leave, with everyone busy punching and fanning confetti or whatever around and tweeting and everything else and generally being occupied.

For once, Eleanor doesn't take her sweet time or get loudly indignant about the whole thing but simply scurries off, attempting to bulldoze a path through the crowd before anyone catches on.

Rolling to Forcefully push through the crowd and make her way toward the alley before anyone recognizes her.

(11:35:06 AM) ningyou: !r fudge+2
(11:35:07 AM) Krysmbot: ningyou, --+/+2 = 1

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Kenji expertly pilots a path through the crowd while the majority of people gaggle at the petalbomb, most being too polite to mention the retreating idol. Irene again somehow manages to miss Souji with her absurdly large shotgun. Also, that terrible hat suddenly explodes in mid-air. Probably unrelated.

In any case, a turn down an alley and into an open door later, everyone finds themselves a moment of safety and stability.

La Cheapini Grande Apartments, 6:23pm

Relatively speaking.

Maki scoots around the edge hesitantly, glancing back at the open door while she catches her breath.

"Okay, so, uh... first question... what in the gently caress?"

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"Short answer: not now. Long answer: ... you don't want the long answer." Look, she's implying that she's trying really hard NOT to freak out right now, ok?

Keiko slips in behind Kenji and keeps talking, "So, on more relevant topics, why are Phoenixes real, how come one saved my butt, why did the building get set on fire anyway, and why did what's-his-face insist it was our fault?"

You know, I don't think those tears beginning to well up in Keiko's eyes are crocodile tears this time.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

"Because we've seen something we shouldn't have and now they have to close the leak. Cover-up 101." Jodie pulls down her scarf and slumps back against one of the less-rotted walls. She's clutching her satchel like it's her only lifeline in the storm, but the worry hasn't quite spread to her face yet. Her mind's still moving too fast for it to catch up.

"As for the demons, hell if I know. A Judeo-Christian angel attacks us, but a... Norse? COMP, search for Urd... Right, a Norse figure knew what was going on. We all fought Asian beings, except for the fairie and the second bird. There's no rhyme or reason, and we don't have any trustworthy leads that won't shoot on sight, and I... I..."

And now it's all catching up with her. No more imminent death to keep her busy, no more unexpected victories to buoy her spirits. All Jodie has now is a growing realization that she's looking for a single person in a city that wants her dead.

"I need to get out of here."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"You need to get out of here? Just... you? What about the rest of us? I'm not going to go preaching about 'the power of friendship' and all that crap, but what makes you think you're the only one who needs to get her rear end out of here? Huh?!"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

"Oh, yeah, you have so much to worry about. You might not sing in the next Sac-Nicte commercial. What a shame. Some of us came to this town for a better reason than corporate loyalty, you know."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"I..." ok, so the girl had a good point. Keiko really was in the vicinity for mere corporate loyalty... and some cool new tech, too. But that wasn't everything she was about!

"Look, I know anything I say about my life being difficult would just fall on deaf ears. Trust me, I've had this conversation before. My career and life are significantly different than everyone else's. I got that. But what you seem to be missing is that tomorrow is just as valuable to me as it is to you, even if our reasons are entirely different."

"But what do I know? I'm just some starlet pop-idol who lives and breathes corporate loyalty. Clearly I'm too much of a manufactured product that I've given up my right to be a human."

The sarcasm was the only thing keeping the tears at bay.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Hey! We ALL have plenty to worry about. You don't really think the attacks are gonna stop, do you? Chances are, things are in chaos out there, for more then just us. We're just the scapegoat."

Souji crosses his arms!

"And we're their safety, because last I checked, we BEAT those gods and spirits and...jars of snakes, that challenged us. Look they took out buildings, and not just ones we were in. We can't just stay holed up. I mean, morally, but also literally, because I don't think holes are going to last very long. These glasses were ground zero for whatever went down; that timing was way too perfect. Maki, Kenji! We need to know everything you might possibly know about these glasses - R&D, budgets, whatever looked weird. Uri, you're the smart guy here; same question to you, but on the technical side. How do these glasses work, and what exactly is going on here? Eleanor, Keiko, do your glasses give you outside contact? Can they be used to make calls, or is everything locked down? I...haven't been able to get hold of anyone. Jodie, before you go running off alone, what happens when they catch you without us around? You think they're going to let you go if you promise real hard to bring us around? Face it, you walk out alone, you have nobody watching your back. Now, can you think of a good place for us to...I dunno, make our official home for the time being, while we plan stuff? I'm going to guess none of us can just walk right on home, and the only place I spend most my time at is Junes."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

"Oh, please."

Kenji de-tints his glasses, breaking the cool, aloof facade he had been maintaining since the escape. "Put a cork in it, kid. No one put you in charge, and you have no idea what's going on here. Also..." He turns to the two arguing girls. "If this were about loyalty, we and every single person in and around that tower would be dead."

Wrapping a handkerchief around his hand, Omura closes the door shut. "There's something going on here that's bigger than Canek or Irene or any one person at Sac-Nicte. I saw it. When we tested out the glasses, I looked through President Kalinda's own eyes. She knew what was going on; she was ready to die. Then she did. And now it turns out Canek and Irene must have been in on it too, but differently. Their motivation's not the same. Maybe they're even part of a different conspiracy."

"But either way, there's been something big brewing at Sac-Nicte and it just dedicated itself to screw us over. To screw me over. Security, R&D, they must have known about it the whole time. If this goes as deep as it seems to, I wouldn't be too surprised if this whole COMP project was building up to this. And those assholes had me build a marketing campaign for a product they didn't even intend to sell."

"As for places to hide, well... I don't know. Most of you probably wouldn't be able to make dress code at the places I know of."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Souji just raises an eyebrow.

"So...you agree with most of what I just said, but wanted to prove you're a big man by puffing out your chest to a high schooler?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

Kenji sighs heavily.

"There's a difference. You're guessing. I'm talking about things I know. Things I've seen. And I'm not the Big Man trying to play hero like an idiot out there."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"So you're disagreeing that you and Maki need to tell us everything you two can so we know what's up? Because you seem to already be doing that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

Christ, this conversation got away from Jodie. First Keiko's talking about how she's a person with feelings even though that's not what she meant at all, and then Souji comes in to tell her things she already knows, but by the time she thinks of a response he's already rambling about people coming together during disasters and giving orders and now the suit's trying to take command and will you all just shut up.

But Jodie won't say that. She's wasted enough time on pointless barbs already. If they want to waste time on their dick-measuring contest, go ahead. Just don't expect her to break out a tape measure.

"I'm going to the university after this. There's someone there I need to find, but I should be able to hide with the freshmen. Feel free to come along if you won't stick out too much."

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Uri Ott

Uri just listened quietly to each side as they argued. Well, if you could even call it an "argument". In any case, he had more important things to do on his COMP, though something did catch his interest at the end there.

"Oh?" his hands stopped typing, "Have you already messaged this person? If not, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have, I wouldn't recommend trying to initiate contact." He paused, thinking it polite to add, "Well, I'm sure you already know all that. In any case, let's keep moving somewhere--to find this person is fine--in the meantime I'll be checking for and removing any sort of hardware-innate tracking method from this COMP. If Ms. Maki knows anything about that it would be a great help."

He knew that he probably wouldn't be able to do all that much to prevent S-N from detecting them after they connected to a network and had a hunch that at least Canek would know whenever they connected to the DeSu server, but at the same time it would be best to look for and attempt to disable any method of tracking unique to their test devices.

As for DeSu itself, well, he didn't feel the need to mention that he may have been at fault for their new status as public enemy number 1. Obviously he'd tell them after it became conclusive, but until then it was just one possibility of many--he personally agreed with Mr. Omura and imagined that regardless of what he did they'd have been blamed and scapegoated for...whatever it was that had happened. Which reminded him...

"Ah, and Mr. Omura, I have something to send you," he sent over the file he'd saved of Canek's browsing history and waited a bit before adding, "That's what I got 'DeSu-chan' to tell me, as as far as my COMP is concerned I am 'Mr. Canek'. Anything else you could tell us about him might help in the future."

Attempt to Disable Tracking 4dF+3 4

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Look, if...I need..."

Souji puts his back against a wall and slowly slumps down, exhaling deeply and closing his eyes as he looks upwards. The adrenaline finally starts to fade out.

"I'm not some corporate insider or all star hacker or amazing pop star or....ahaha, or a literal princess. I'm some punk high schooler. Who took what I THOUGHT was some part time testing job because my parents - who I can't reach now - wanted me to get something to keep me busy, because...because I just need to be doing and I'm bad with free time. And now I've a fallen off a building, saved a bunch of people, I think, and punched out an ancient Hindu mythological hero. All while these dumb glasses - " the glasses are taken off and thrown across the room! " - flash freaky pictures at me. And now I'm wanted! An ANGEL tried to kill me! I saw a skyscraper blow up! So forgive me, because I don't know what any of us are supposed to do, and frankly I've been bluffing basically all of this from the start."

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

While there aren't any obvious tracking routines, Uri does find an option buried in the settings that might help...

quote:

FLIGHT MODE ACTIVE Canek-sama. Connection via COMPCloud only, but of course you knew that because you are so smart~!

Eh, it'll do. Somewhere back in the shell of Wakah Chan Tower, a stubby finger taps on a screen, pauses, then stabs at the screen rapidly in frustration.

____

For her part, Maki folds her arms and joins the sliding down the wall to the floor party. "I don't know anything about COMP stuff. I file reports. I go out for coffee. Occasionally I empty a can of air freshener into the workshop. I've only been temping for a month, I haven't asked much about what my job is in case they actually make me do work."

She pokes at her phone morosely for a moment. "But I've got no signal, maybe the quake knocked out the network. Just this COMP message crap. So what are we going to do? I'm not going to argue with people who can throw big ugly myths at me. I'd invite you all back to my apartment but it's the size of a shoebox and I think having known fugitive demon summoners there violates my lease."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

So Mr Perfect is floundering like the rest of them. Jodie thought that that would make her feel better, somehow. But no, she's just as worried as before. Schadenfreude won't make Sac-Nicte not pin this on her. Won't get her a place to stay. Won't help her find her sister.

"At least you're better off than me, right?" Jodie gives a halfhearted laugh and a weak smile. "You know people in this town. You got a house. You got family. I've got one sister that I haven't seen in two years and six complete strangers. All because I wanted a free COMP." She looks up at the ceiling and slowly exhales. Someone here needs to keep a cool head here. Someone besides Uri. Besides, Maki's raising a good point...

"Well, there's got to be a hotel around here that won't turn us over to Sac-Nicte, right? It'd be safer than going to one of your houses, at least."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

poo poo, now that's a good question. How is she going to keep a low profile?

"Um... this is gonna sound really weird, but does anyone have any spare clothes? I'm kind of wearing a distinctive outfit here. Trust me, all I need is some new duds. I can be someone else if I need to be."

"As for places to stay, I don't have a good one here. The people I know personally wouldn't hesitate to turn us in for the reward... although I might be able to convince them to turn a blind eye, they certainly wouldn't help us. And Daddy's job is out in the suburbs, so he's not close enough to ask for help."

"Kenji! You know people here in town! Do you have any ideas?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

"Well," Kenji starts counting with his fingers as he goes through a list in his head. "Most people I know are pretty close to Sac-Nicte, but..."

"There is someone I know that's good for quiet, off-the-record deals. The kind that requires that everyone involved keeps their mouths shut about. He has a lot of connections, I'm pretty sure, and could probably help us, but he doesn't work for free."

"There's also a very exclusive country club I know. Exclusive enough to keep most corporate goons out, probably." He glances at everybody that isn't him and Keiko. "We'd need to clean most of you people up if we were to go there, but I know someone who could do that. Could probably get you a new look too, Keiko."

"So that's what I have. Whatever we do, we need to get out of here and into a spot where we can start getting some perspective on everything that's going on. If money's a problem, I should be able to cover most expenses in the short term. This is either going to end up with us dead or with us taking over Sac-Nicte so it works out either way."

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Uri Ott

"If the network's really down that's fortunate, but set your COMPs to airplane mode before we decide," Uri frowned, thinking Canek would definitely know their location if they used DeSu. There was no way that he was so utterly incompetent as to give them test models without any kind of inherent tracking. Then again, who really knew, "That's the best we can do."

"And in terms of clothing, why don't we just trade amongst ourselves for now, on our way to getting a real change at whichever place we decide to head toward," he suggested, waving his hands like he didn't care which place, "Ms. Iwatori just needs a jacket or something else to put over her outfit, correct? Small changes will suffice for now."

They could formulate an actual plan once they weren't on the streets anymore.

Decus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Eleanor

Eleanor shoots Kenji a mild glare at the remark about needing to clean up.

"Well, I know a handful of people. After all, in case you haven't heard, I'm a literal princess~" There's a lingering pause. "...and my papa's a literal king, so surely he could help us out somehow...."

Mind you, she decides against asking everyone if they want to take a spur-of-the-moment vacation to sunny, war-torn Latveria.

The literal IRL princess starts to say something, but then she remembers something, and she spends the next couple of moments trying to set her COMP to airplane mode. I mean, it's just like on phones, right? There's definitely something in the....giant wall of settings what do all these even do what's wrong with this stupid thing--

The next few moments involve Eleanor swearing up a (pret~ty unladylike) storm at....whoever's in front of her. And then waving her arms frantically and insisting that no, no, i didn't mean *you* and....not making a whole lot of progress, on the whole.

• Locked thread