Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Suddenly*, These Assholes
*Not actually that suddenly, sorry sorry.
____

Uri

Debug-chan posted:

Accessing COMPCloud darknet, Canek-sama. Restoring backdoor access to COMPChat...

Oh this can't be good. There are a series of chirps as various COMP notifications spring up.

Kenji

Kenji gets an update on how things are going back at S-N HQ.

So about normal, then.

Eleanor

Sure it's from a new account and oh my is she using the default COMPchat userpic but Eleanor would recognise that tone anywhere. It's hard to tell if it's luddism or a highly-savvy way to stay anonymous.

Keiko

rear end in a top hat.

Jodie

quote:

@wellofurd

Sorry! The account you are trying to view has been suspended due to inappropriate content. Reason given: interference with the natural order.

Souji

Even if Souji hadn't thrown his COMP across the room, there wouldn't be any messages for him. He knows this because Maki quietly picks them up and hands them to him.

"Don't skip over the 'saved a bunch of people' thing. Not your fault that at least one of them is a total dick." She stands up and shrugs off her blazer. "Uh, I don't think this'd fit Souji unless he was going to wear it as a hat, but it might make someone less..." she glances between Eleanor and Keiko, "...obvious."

"So the university, the country club? I mean a lecture sounds as helpful as 18 holes of golf right now."

Destrado fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Jodie Vessot
2 FP

Jodie just groans when the Twitter message pops up. @wellofurd isn't trustworthy, not by a long shot, but at least they seemed willing to help. Now they're banned, which is kind of good but mostly bad. Good because it proves that they were actually onto something here. Bad because @wellofurd might as well be gone forever since direct messages are the only way she knows how to contact them.

Then again, if they're as precognizant as they say they are they already knew they'd get banned, so Jodie doesn't need to worry about it. What she does need to worry about is tonight's housing options...

"The country club is so exclusive that someone will notice us. So many people will be at the university that someone will eventually recognize us. We can't get around that no matter what. We also can't get around getting new clothes, since we're wanted men. The real question is, do we want a central location, or do we want good beds? That is the main choice we're making, when you get down to it."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Souji Tunoku FP:4 Stress: OOO

Souji gives a bit of a weak smile and puts the glasses back on, then takes a deep breath.

"Ok. I say we go with Kenji's suggestions. If he knows people to disguise us and places to hole up, then we should go with that. Country clubs can be big, is what I'm thinking; it actually might not be too hard to hide in one if it's not in use. And nobody would look for us there."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Keiko
FP: 0
Stress:OOO

"I'll take the jacket!" Keiko jumped forward to grab it.

"Sorry princesa, but a jacket might not make you unrecognizable. Me, though..." She trailed off as she put on the blazer and pulled the material of her sleeves up around her neck.

"I..." she meekly began, "Um. I can be pretty much anyone I want to be."

"Yukari Amanowato. It's... it's a pleasure to meet you?" She smiled a wan smile and even blushed a little. Then her eyes returned to a more confidant gaze and the smile fell from her face. "But I'm only pulling that crap while we're moving around. I hate not being Keiko."

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Uri Ott
FP: 2 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Uri sighed at such a childish display from the pop idol as he took off his own coat, offering it to the princess, "If it wouldn't offend Your Highness, you can use this peasant's coat for now." He held the sarcasm and did his best to say it with sincerity as there was no time for anything else.

As for where they were headed, he still didn't particularly care so long as they kept moving and found somewhere to stop. Desu-chan's latest message had mixed implications--it was good they were accessing the chat via a darknet, as it would slow down tracking their locations to the point of making it unfeasible, but at the same time he was surprised to find that easy access to such a thing was already built into their COMPs. Then again, it made a certain amount of sense once you factored in their COMPs having access to an app like DeSu...in any case, he felt it best to thank Desu-chan, as perhaps he was remiss in comparing her to clippy the office assistant.

Uri posted:

Thanks, Desu-chan~

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Eleanor
FP: 0 Stress: O O O

Well. At least Mama is alright, mm? If the literal slings and arrows and rocket-propelled grenade launchers and suchlike of the underclass couldn't keep her down, that weird old blowhard and a poorly constructed building aren't worth a moment's worry ove--hmm?

"Um." Eleanor stared at the coat for a long moment before realising oh right to *wear* he's giving it to me to wear (because, you see, there's a long tradition in Lotteveria of peasants dramatically offering their coats to royalty for any number of reasons! In fact, an "incident" involving this time-honoured custom and mama Lotteminde was what finally sparked the fires of revolution back in Eleanor's homeland.)

She took the coat in her hands, caaaaaarefully inspecting it before just throwing the thing on over her dress. She did a slow, experimental turn, smiling nervously! "I'm, ehe....um, um...what's a peasant name? poo poo."

{Leeeet's try this again.}

Another slow, careful turn and a deep curtsy to the wall. "I'm, ehe....I'm Takako Tatataco, and I'm definitely a peasant, and it's very nice to meet you!"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura
FP: 0 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Kenji posted:

Hah. Fine, rear end in a top hat. Do what you want. I don't need that office anymore. Entire marketing strategy is completely hosed now, anyway. So is pretty much everything else. Hope you enjoy dealing with the aftermath of this.

We can have lunch and talk about how exactly hosed things are as soon as I'm not in immediate danger of being murdered.

"I think you'll have to try harder than that if you really want to be a peasant," Kenji comments. "You need to get the attitude right."

He looks to Keiko. "Looks like you got it down. But knowing you, that's not surprising."

"Anyway, I say we should go to the country club. We'd probably have an easier time classing up you kids than classing down the rest of us," he says, looking at Souji, Jodie, and Uri. "A good disguise doesn't have to be plain. Simply getting a bold new look can turn someone into a whole new person."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"Hmmm?" Keiko took off her COMP again, "Oh right. Country club. Yeah, anything's better than sitting here, waiting for us to be found."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 2 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Elanor is... And then she... Well, Jodie should probably be insulted by that, but she's mostly just baffled. Is that really what she thinks people sound like? How sheltered is she? And when the person who was raised in a cabin in the woods thinks you're too out of touch with society, there is something wrong.

"Right. The sooner we get new clothes, the sooner we can start hiding. Once we do that, Elanor can stop doing... that."

I'm ready to start the trip to the clothes store when you are.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Yeah, About That...

"Yeah, about that..." Maki says from where she's peeking out the doorway, a little redundantly.

There's a commotion down the street, the thumping of kicked doors and crackling radio chatter echoing across the night as a SacSec unit clears an apartment building down the end of the alley. Residents are being roughly lined up outside as the officers search the premises. Even without more precise tracking, it looks like they might be narrowing down on your last known location.

A resident in pyjamas (at 8pm, really guy?), his hands cuffed behind him, tries to point down towards Le Cheapini Grande with wild gestures of his head and a long string of profanity. gently caress that guy.

"Can't you just sort of..." Maki vaguely waggles her fingers in what is apparently the sign for Summon Some Demons To gently caress Up A Private Security Team.

Debug-chan posted:

Still rebuilding demon essence files, Canek-sama! Please stand by! Gomen~!

Well, poo poo.

Challenge Time! Both Twin Springs Country Club and Madame Anjou's are across town in the snootier residential part of the city (thank Kenji's discerning palate for that one). You'll need to both Find A Safe Way Across Town and Lose Your Pursuers. Both have a difficulty of Fantastic (+6) with whatever approach is justifiable, but swapping some clothes has given you the aspect Second Hand Chic with one invoke. It's one action each, so talk it out IC or OOC as necessary!

Destrado fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 11, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 2->1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

"I'll distract them. Don't leave until I come back." Jodie could tell the others what she's about to do. Get a second opinion from the six people she got thrown together with. But you know what? She's not really the type to discuss her plans. Much better to just slip out the door and execute them.
---
Jodie is flat against the alley wall, digging through her bag as quietly as she could. So these corporate dogs are trying to flush them out, huh? Let's give them something to chew on. One federally certified road flare, good for twenty minutes of pure red flame, perfect for warning motorists and attracting every eye in the room. All she has to do is strike the fuse and hurl it down one alley, then they all can run down the other alley unimpeded. She lights it up, tosses it down the alley and... she really thought that it'd go farther than that. Oh dear.
---
The door slams. Jodie is staring at all of you wide-eyed, or at least more wide-eyed than usual. She's still clutching her bag to her chest.

"We need to go. Right now."

Time to stealthily create an advantage by hurling a flare towards the way we aren't going. Tactical Arson: 4dF+2 1 Invoking Paranoid Survivalist's Daughter for a +2 because I know a lot about both road flares and corporate pigs, making it a +3 total, which should(?) be enough to create an advantage. Let's say something like "A Flare?!", because that sounds like something an MGS guard would say if you hurled a flare at them.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"What? But... ok, but I don't know how to get across town from here..."

"Come on Keiko, think!"

Clever roll! (Flashy, Quick, or Forceful? Not happening here.)
Krysmbot
6:19 omegagoo, +/-/ + 1 = 1

Keiko looked almost comical as the gears struggled to turn.

Nothing. Waste of a turn. Sorry.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura
FP: 0 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

"Wait, now? gently caress." Kenji starts rapidly shimmying his way along the wall, towards the door. "Then let's go. We need to get out of here, and fast."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Souji goes along with doing thing fast!

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

The flare draws enough of a distraction for everyone to get a headstart down the alley, and a brisk chase scene follows complete with an 80s musical montage, a series of narrow escapes down school hallways alleyways, and basically it all works out if you pretend the squad of private security berks are a dickish school principal, and Eleanor and Keiko don't fight too much over who gets to be Claire (Jodie is totally Allison, though).

Everyone gets away safely, but SacSec get They Went Thataway. Surely won't come up.

Damage from the quake seems to have knocked out a lot more than just the area around Wakah Chan Tower. The scrabble through the city takes you through more than a few areas without power. Trees and telegraph poles are down everywhere. The odd car lies abandoned in a snowdrift. A caved-in mall shopfront is playing host to the first signs of looters: the hesitant 'run with a loaf of bread' types before anyone's going to get bold and kick in a flatscreen TV. With the phones down, smatterings of people are just huddled in winter coats on street corners and in doorways, waiting. Seemingly not for anything in particular.

Sunrise is sick. It should have just stayed in bed.

Twin Springs, West Gate
Brutalist Gate, Elitist Traits

That clears up as you get towards Twin Springs, however. Like stray dingos or Mongol hordes, the delicate wrought iron fence of this gated community is designed to keep out poors. As you watch, a man in an exquisite (and probably impractical) trenchcoat hurries through the sleet, flips something golden at the gate, and breathes an audible sigh of relief as he pushes the gate shut behind him and heads up to the clubhouse.

There is a helpful intercom at the side of the gate for visitors, even though the main clubhouse is probably in shouting distance. It has been helpfully smashed and tagged with graffiti that'd be illiterate if it weren't so illegible. From the way the group of youths in puffa jackets over on the curb pointedly don't look at it, they probably have no idea how that happened.

So, how are you getting in?

Kenji: Compel on Expensive is Beautiful: Of course Kenji has a pass, so valued and exclusive is he. Sometimes to intimidate co-workers he 'casually' leaves it out on... his desk... back at the... oh goddammit.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 1, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura
FP: 0 -> 1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Kenji smirks as he reaches oh-so-casually into his breast pocket to pull out his-

Oh, no, wait. There is a tiny moment of hesitation as he casually moves his hand to his back pocket, where he obviously must have left-

Kenji's facade starts to crack as his casual smirk becomes more and more forced, while he reaches into yet another pocket and-

That's when he realizes it. A thousand-yard-stare flashes across Kenji's face. "...I my pass back in-" He gasps. "Tommy's new office. That fucker has my pass!"

It's one thing goddamn thing to get locked out at the worst moment, but now that rear end in a top hat whenever he wants and- "Goddammit!"

Compel Accepted.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"I could... um..." just in case, Keiko was in her mild persona, "pull reputation, I guess. I'm not sure I should though..."

She timidly pushed her index fingers against each other, "Otherwise, is there another way in?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

"Could just crack open the reader and cross a few wires. They won't like it, but it'll get us in." Jodie crosses her arms, but not in an insecure way. More in a why-did-she-wear-a-sleeveless-shirt way.

Talked about doing this in IRC for ages, so I'm finally going to declare that my last free aspect is Weirdly Intense, because if there are two words that describe Jodie today, it's probably those.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Takako Tatataco Eleanor

"Well. I could convince them to let us inside, I'm sure of it." Eleanor smiles a perfectly smug smile at no-one in particular. "Who would dare refuse the Crown Princess of..."

Oh. Oh, wait.

Realisation dawns on Eleanor's face. "The Crown Princess of, of....of..." There's a bit of obvious scraping and reaching for something suitable.

"...German."

There's this big, big, excited-and-terrrrribly-pleased-with-herself grin. "Yes, yes! The Crown Princess of the August Kingdom of German, who is definitely not that beautiful and terrifying fugitive Eleanor Lotteminde but who is very loud and very imperious -- not like me, I'm a nice princess -- and will not stop shouting and making a horrible fuss until they are shown proper deference!"

"A-after all, Mama and Papa always said I had a knack for persuasion, so....a bunch of peasants in some tacky little clubhouse won't be any trouble at all!" She looks to the rest of you for the go-ahead your eager approval because seriously why wouldn't you be gobsmacked by such a clever ruse

Sorry about the delay. Also I'd totally be using Lick My Boots and Call Me Princess here if I had any FP left, but alas.~

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 6, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Yeah, I...I got basically nothing here. I'm a normal high schooler, not a princess, or pop star, or...Jodie, how do you know how hey know what nevermind, no need to answer."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

"What? It's just a card reader. Pop it open, splice a few wires together, it should be fine. It's not rocket science."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"Um... Well, it's not like I know how to do something like that. Care to, um, demonstrate?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

"Only if we don't have a better way in. We have enough security after us as it is."

Which is to say, if one of you talky people want to call someone, please do it soon/tell me that you're doing it soon so I don't ruin it by trying to force the gate open.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Hearing no complaints, Jodie slips her knife out of her bag and begins prying open the card reader. Really, opening this without breaking
anything should be the hardest part. After all, knives aren't meant to do this kind of prying. Get too hard with it, you could snap the whole thing. But it finally falls open with a satisfying pop and she can finally...

Okay, that's a lot of wires. Still, it's alright, no reason to worry yet. She's taken it nice and slow so far, she can keep taking it nice and slow now. After all, this card reader can't be that different from the card readers she's seen before. She just needs to figure out what's what and then it's just a matter of cutting a few wires without getting electrocuted.

Going to Carefully fiddle around inside this thing and hopefully not ruin everything: Red Wire Or Blue Wire: 4dF+3 3 The most average result possible.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

After a few sparks and an electronic buzz, the gate clicks unlocked. If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of property values depreciating as you step through. From there it's a leisurely stroll across premium imported gravel to the reception, and the club itself.

Twin Springs Country Club
Snooty As Snooty Can Be, Eye of the Storm

Inside, you'd be hard pressed to notice that there was anything wrong in the world outside. The soft, tastefully inoffensive jazz that pipes across the dining room masks the quiet conversations of the suits that are scattered around the room. From the broken bread and elegantly folded napkins, it looks like dinner service is continuing as per normal. Most of those present are too obscenely rich to afford the time noticing you, but one face up the back quirks an eyebrow for a moment, before shaking his head in confusion and turning back to his meal.

Tsubasa Oshiro
Is Fooled By Your Elaborate Ruse

Okay, so a couple of the floor-length windows that look over the terrace appear to have been cracked in the quake, but there are already velvet ropes around them and notices of effusive apology. Crisis Handled.

A soothing voice speaks from a foot behind you.

Sarah Fitzgerald
Surprisingly Kind, ???

"A pleasure as always, Mr. Omura. Are these children your..." Her face passes across the group without a flicker of disdain or confusion. She's been well-trained. "...family acquaintances, perhaps? Allow me to convey our most sincere apologies for not anticipating your arrival, but there are club bylaws that restrict... excessive immaturity amongst our guests, lest they disturb other diners. Can I perhaps interest you in something... to go?"

Destrado fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 25, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

"Ah, nice to see you, Mrs. Fitzgerald." Kenji flashes a bright, warm smile. "But don't the bylaws also have rules considering the hospitable treatment of guests of honor?"

He gasps, feigning a sudden realization, and smacks his forehead for missing something so obvious. "Oh! Pardon me! I forgot to introduce them! May I present to you, the Princess of German, and her entourage."

Rolling Careful to create the advantage Guest of Honor:
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +---+3 = 1
I don't know if that passes or not. If it doesn't, then I'll just let it fail. Good luck, princess.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 16, 2014

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Takako Tatataco Eleanor

Well, that's her cue, slow and meekly cheerful and kinda *loud*.

Rolling to Flashily create an advantage here after all. Or convince them that I am totes the ~*~*~Princess of German.~*~*~
(8:40:08 AM) ningyou: !r fudge+3
(8:40:09 AM) Krysmbot: ningyou, -+//+3 = 3

"Oh! Hel...hello!" C'monnnnn, pay attention to the grand curtsey and the wide-eyed and wondrous but oh-so-polite look (all carefully cultivated over the last five seconds, but she's got a lifetime of watching simple Lotteverian folk stumble into the palace for honors or tours or whatever to fall back on), not the stunning resemblance they bear to a certain mess of fugitives--

"I am...oh, how do you say?" Tiny tiny terribly apologetic frown. "I am ever-so-pleased to meet you, ma'am! I am the Princess of German, and this is my royal, aah...property?"

Cue a broad, sweeping gesture toward the rest of the group.

She is utterly sincere and pleasant and just radiating sheltered-princess innocence and utterly baffling in the way she pronounces every word perfectly but seems reluctant to let each sentence go as though afraid a grammatical error is going to mean a death sentence. (Which, to be fair, was the case in Lotteveria, but I digress.) "They are, what is the word? Oh, I am so sorry..." Another pause. "They are very refreshing!" She clasps her hands together, this look on her face like all of you are just making her heart swell.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

Through an extreme effort of will, Keiko Yukari managed to avoid rolling her eyes. The Princess of German clearly needed some acting lessons, but it looked like she could use some help with the act. Yukari stepped forward, but still holding a subservient position to the Princess.

"What my mistress means to say is that..."

Create an Advantage/Overcome/what the hell is going on why am I rolling whatever I'm being Clever.
Krysmbot
3:26 omegagoo, //--+1 = -1
Well, Manufactured Persona turns that into an Average roll, but that's not good enough for ANYTHING I was trying to do.

Oh poo poo. She just implied she's willing to be a servant to the loudmouth princess, spoke out of turn, and probably earned her ire as well. Better cover!

"I apologize," and with that, Yukari steps back once more.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 1->0 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Ugh. Are they seriously going with this plan. Christ, and Eleanor's the only one who isn't putting their foot in their mouth. At this rate Jodie would be better off on her own. But what else can she do? She's just a country girl in the big city, it's not like can just sit down and hope for the best. These rich assholes probably wouldn't even notice if she tried. And Eleanor's keeping the hostess pretty busy...

Screw it. Jodie's just going to walk into the dining room. Will the other diners notice? Yes. Will they say anything? No, because their heads are so far up their asses that they won't risk ruining the mood. Not when she's not directly bothering any of them. She'll just find a table with an empty chair, and she'll take a seat. You know, like the one she's just found. She's just quietly set her bag down under the table, and she'll take a seat, and she'll look her new tablemates in the eye and say one thing.

"I won't make a scene if you won't."

ningyou: I asked Destrado, and the stunt you weren't that sure about gives +1 to Sneaky.

Anyway, Sneakily walking into the dining room and sitting down: Seating Myself: 4dF+2+1 1 Spending a FP to invoke Snooty As Snooty Can Be for a +2 because no one wants to be the one to make a fuss for a total of +3. Hopefully that's enough.

Also, the law of conservation of NPCs dictates that I sit down at Tsubasa's table, but I'll leave the final decision to Destrado.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Souji smiles, nods, and lets the other rich, fancy, and important people do the talking.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Sarah stares at her royal royalness for a straight three seconds, turns briefly to Kenji, then turns back to the mid-size princess and her entourage. She briefly considers the odds of sparking an international incident with a country that may or may not exist, and wait where the hell did that scruffy one go? Then the mask falls back into place.

"Oh, of course, your highness. Such measures are made to protect your delicate personage in these troubled times, not impede it. Please accept my humble apologies, and my compliments. Of course Twin Springs would be happy to receive you and your entourage, meager as our 24 hour a la carte restaurant, extensive sporting and shower facilities, and bespoke comfort areas may be. Please, make use of our sparse facilities as you wish, and please take no notice of my lowly self as I accompany you in order to assess and anticipate your needs."

She steps briskly to one side and sweeps an arm to allow you access to the club, before casually falling into step behind you as though having someone hover over you watching your every move is a natural state of affairs to which all persons of breeding aspire. From the smell wafting from the kitchen, they're about to serve some kind of ridiculously opulent truffle and saffron-stuffed whatsit. Or that might just be your stomach talking. When was the last time you ate?

Miss Fitzgerald lightly grabs Kenji's elbow as he passes, however. "I would never have expected it of you, Mr. Omura. I'd have thought you'd be the type to be quaffing champagne watching the world burn..." she gestures vaguely to the other occupants of the dining hall. "...possibly from a yacht. But to see you sheltering children in such times is... heartening."

*BREAKING NEWS about the explosion this evening at Wakah Chan Tower, SunSec are on the hunt for...*

With a polite cough, Sarah changes the channel over to some report about negative gearing your Bentley in the Caymans. No-one seems to notice.

"Shall I get in touch with Madame Anjou? She doesn't often make outcalls, but I'm certain she owes me a favour. I'll see if I can find some out of the way rooms for the night."

_____

Surprisingly Kind, indeed. You've succeeded, but at the serious cost of Sarah now thinking that Kenji is a great big softie.

You have the run of Twin Springs Country Club! If you don't mind Sarah constantly eyeballing you in case you get into trouble, in any case. There's food, rest, and the weird rich people entertainments that only... well more than half of your characters are probably well acquainted with, actually. What are you going to do first?

_____

But first!

Tsubasa Oshiro
Triumvirate OST 2 - The Brains

"Now that's interesting. Making scenes is my business, after all. But I like your pluck."

He pushes an untouched breadroll across the table.

"I mean, you're kind of plain, but Hideaki can probably fix that. Not a lot of girls your age would have the nerve to approach me here, but I guess you heard we had an opening. So what's your pitch?"

____

Meanwhile, outside, a kid in a puffa jacket pokes at the hanging wires of the gate mechanism. His eyes widen in surprise as the gate swings open. Then he smiles and starts waving commands into his COMP.

Compel on Weirdly Intense: Jesus Jodie, how badly did you break that gate?

Destrado fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 29, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Destrado posted:

Compel on Weirdly Intense: Jesus Jodie, how badly did you break that gate?

She said that they wouldn't like it. They had every opportunity to find another way in.

(But really, if you respliced the wires and resealed the shell it should be fine. "Fine".)

Jodie Vessot
FP: 0->1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Well then. This just got complicated. Can't let Patches see that she's panicking now. No, Jodie's just going to take an impolitely large bite out of this roll, she's going to swallow, and she's going to make a few informed guesses. Hopefully they're right.

"Alright." Another smaller bite, another swallow. "So, you got plenty of pretty people. That's great. Any other day of week you'd be set. But today, everything is going to poo poo out there. People don't want pretty people on days like this. They don't want people whose cost more than they made this year. They want someone who will say it like it is. They want someone like them. Like me."

Man, that better have sounded as confident as Jodie thinks it did. Because if it isn't, she is screwed.

Destrado: Just tell me on IRC if you want me to roll something here and I'll edit it in.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 31, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Souji is mostly trying to eat as politely as he can while still shoving as much food into his gullet as possible.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Keiko

"Geez, I'm surprised she bought it." Keiko Yukari followed meekly behind the Princess of German. Oh well, she did want to fangirl about the princess a bit anyway. Time to see what it was like on the other side of the idol worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kenji Omura

Kenji laughs. It's a hollow laugh, like one you'd give to a bad joke to be polite.

"Oh, sometimes things just happen, you know? You never know what to really expect these days." He adjusts his collar and smiles. "I think you've got the right idea, Miss Fitzgerald. These kids are in dire need of a better look. It's almost criminal."

"Oh, and could you..." Mr. Omura takes a deep breath. "...tell her to fix up my look as well? I think it's actually time to finally change up my own fashion. Tell her that I was wrong, and she was right. About everything."

The whole atmosphere of the room suddenly shifts as those words leave his mouth. It's almost like hearing the news of the fall of the Berlin Wall, though that doesn't seem to make that much sense. There's nothing too weird with what he just said...

...right?

• Locked thread