Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Jodie Vessot

This may sound strange, but Jodie doesn't have that much experience killing time. There was always wood that needed chopping or dishes that needed cleaning, something that could at least keep her hands busy. Here, there's nothing. Maybe a pamphlet if you're lucky. Her bag has plenty of things she could fiddle with, but not much that she could just pull out in an office. She's losing enough time as it is without having to explain to security why she's sitting in the corner twirling a knife.

That is why Jodie has disassembled and reassembled this ballpoint pen ten times in the last twenty minutes. She's almost made it into an art at this point. Unscrew the tip, remove the ink, remove the spring, take out the clicker, reverse, click in, click out, repeat. Unscrew the tip, remove the ink, remove the spring, take out the clicker, reverse, click in, click out, repeat. It's not the best way she could be killing time, but it's a hell of a lot better than making small talk.

quote:

Jodie Vessot

High Concept: Paranoid Survivalist’s Daughter

Trouble: Never Been To The City Before

Drive: The Search For Susan

Aspect: The Truth Is Out There

Aspect: TBD

Approaches:
Careful +3
Clever +2
Flashy +0
Forceful +1
Quick +1
Sneaky +2

Stunts:
CQC Basics: Because Dad taught you some things when you were younger, when you succeed with style when carefully defending, create a situation aspect instead of a boost.
Always Pack A Spare: Because you know the first rule of proper planning, once per scene you can pull out one small bit of survival gear you could reasonably have in your pack.
It All Makes Sense Now!: The strangest things can make a seemingly unsolvable mystery come together and make sense - to appear utterly simple, even. When you make a Clever roll to Overcome an obstacle and roll a natural +3 or +4 on the dice, automatically receive a clue based on the facts you know concerning a matter of your choice, as if you had spent a Fate Point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

"I could."

*click*

"Don't have anything else to do, but I could."

Jodie begins unscrewing the tip... But no. She can't be that much of an rear end in a top hat. Not to a stranger she doesn't have any particular gripes with, at least. She'll just have to figure something else out. Like counting ceiling tiles.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

Of course she's the one who's going to suicide bomb a goddamn office building. Didn't this lady's parents teach her any tact? It's not like she's some paranoid psycho, she just lived with one... who sent them too many letters to count under his actual name... and probably mentioned her once or twice... and now that she thinks about it, she did kind of explicitly tell them that she has no ties to this town in the first place...

Okay, so she is kind of the most suspicious person here. Doesn't mean you should just say so in front of everyone.

Then again, they're expecting Julie Vessit, so Jodie Vessot's in the clear! Christ, and to think that Dad thought that these people controlled the government.

Still, no matter how much she wants to complain about these people, Jodie does have things to do. With one last roll of her eyes, she pops open the box and takes a good long look at the COMP Pro.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

So this is it. The COMP Pro. The next generation in AR technology. Time to enter the 21st century.

Okay, maybe if she just waves her hand a bit in front of the camera...

"Uh, how long do these things usually take to start up?"

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 12, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

When suddenly confronted by a tiny animated version of a person they are sharing a room with, some people would recoil in shock. Some people would laugh. Jodie? Jodie just stares. She doesn't smile. She doesn't frown. She doesn't even glance at the real life version of this AI construct. Doing any of those would require her to actually think about what she's getting into. That she's going to have an animated idol strapped to her face for at least the rest of the day. That she...

Actually, Canek's got a point. She really does have other things she needs to do. Things other than being baffled by a tutorial.

COMPro 0.89 posted:

"Yatta! Okay! Now to begin our first test of the new contextual AR features of the COMPro. Tell little sis, where would you most like to be right now?"

Well that's one hell of a question. Jodie isn't really sure she wants to be anywhere at the moment. She doesn't want to go back to the cabin. Too much death and paranoia there for her to really want to be there. Sunrise has been nothing but a pain in the rear end the whole time she's been here. And her sister... Well, she doesn't want to confront her sister, she just needs to. Still, Jodie wouldn't tell all that to her actual sister, let alone some CGI doll who calls herself her sister. There's only one real answer she'd give this thing.

"Not here. Next question."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

"Huh. AR's better than I expected... Ugh." Jodie grimaces as the virtual idol sticks her head into the digital landscape her COMP has constructed. Still, a random friend request is probably worth getting alerted to. Let's just open that and

Oh. Oh.

This is... not good. Not necessarily bad, but definitely not good. Too personal to be automated, but too fast to be anyone who hasn't been keeping an eye on her. Let's just... accept that friend request. Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer, keep your threateningly cryptic stalkers somewhere you can watch them without actually interacting with them. Yeah, that's how you do it.

Now, the question. Jodie is honestly a bit insulted by that question. Why are these the only two options, of all things? Becoming her father or treating her sister like her father? There's got to be another way. She can't go down the same path Dad did, and she can't prop up another person's psyche. She just can't. Although, now that she's thinking about it... Okay, definitely need to respond now.

pre:
Will you be your father's daughter, or your sister's keeper?
----------
Can't say. Times change, people change, not enough facts to see if those are the only paths.

Question for a question. Why would I need to keep my sister?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
3->2/3 FP

pre:
yyyyyy
drat it, Jodie does not have the time to be dealing with WellOfUrd's poo poo right now. Not if they're right about how long she's got. She just needs to reply so she can get it out of her face so she can see what everyone's yelling abo-

"Jesus Christ."

No no no, no panicking. It's like Dad said, panicking will kill you faster than any bullet. He didn't say anything about javelins hurled by angry angels, but the point still stands. She just has to stop freaking out over how bizarre this is and start figuring out a way out.

"Alright! We got five minutes before this all goes to poo poo and eighteen floors to go down. Elevators should be locked down by now, so we're taking the stairs. Canek can't walk on that, so leave him. Can't do anything to the angel, so ignore that. If we can go down five floors a minute for the next four minutes we might be able to get out of here alive. Got it?"

I'm just Carefully creating an advantage by calming down and making a plan: [11:43] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, +-/-+3 = 2

Going to invoke Paranoid Survivalist's Daughter to make that a solid 4. Should be enough to get me a nice Plan of Action.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2/3 FP

"Then you're going down with the ship. Anyone else got any complaints, or can we get out of the burning building now?"

Jodie's trying as hard as she can to stop glancing back at the clock. People don't take orders from people who look jittery. Dad taught her that too.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
3 FP

Jodie's plan might have made her seem a bit cold-hearted, but she really does give a gently caress about these people she's got thrown together with. She gives three of them, in fact. "gently caress you three for talking instead of running." "gently caress me for listening instead of running." "gently caress Souji for taking the time to throw back the spear." They're not much, but Jodie is sure she'll find some more if she stays with these people much longer.

Still, more yelling won't do her any good at this point. Security Lady's doing enough of that for both of them now anyway. No, now's the time to start making up for lost time. She's already spent thirty seconds not running, and that's not a mistake she's going to make again.

Just going to Quickly get down those stairs already: [14:13] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, +-//+1 = 1

How... average.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
3 FP

"No you don't. You make sure the route is safe, then you bring the hurt person through it. These are basics here!" Jodie catches up with Canek's would-be saviors, but she's not happy about it. She's not happy about this situation in general, really.

"Of course that doesn't matter now, because we're still going too slow! You make a plan, does anyone follow it? Noooo, they just sit there and talk. Don't even have the common decency to run around like chickens with their heads cut off..."

Jodie just kind of pushes past them after that, but at least she's making good time while she's muttering to herself.

Continuing to Quickly run down. Or maybe Forcefully because I'm yelling at Uri while doing it, but same difference. [23:25] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, -+//+1 = 1

How... almost identical to my last roll. Using my Plan of Action to add +2 to that, making a total of 3.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
3 FP, Stress: [][][X]

pre:
One: Responding to things you say does not help me escape.
Two: Either you are absurdly good at making fake news broadcasts or you had enough time to give me more than five minutes warning.
Three: Thank you for the warning.
Still... oh god, she's already wasted three minutes. And she just wasted who knows how much more responding to WellOfUrd. Oh god.

Going to Cleverly think my way around the weird video my possible-friend WellOfUrd seems to have just sent me: [12:20] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, --+/+2 = 1

That's three stress for me, but at least I still have all my consequences.

No no no, what did she just say not five minutes ago? Panicking just gets you killed. Jodie just needs to think of a plan. Something that will make the crowds work for her, instead of slowing her down. Something...

That's it! Jodie runs into the offices, looking for anything official-looking she could grab. Zip drive's not noticeable enough, that box of files is too bulky to run with... There, a nice hard drive just waiting to be disconnected. Now that Jodie has it in her hands all she has to do is grab one of the panicking office workers and look him in the eye.

"You, listen. I intern up in Corporate, the CFO told me personally that these files need to get out of here. That S-N's going to be ruined if they don't. Please, just help me get these out of the building." With any luck this guy loves his company enough to help her out. With more luck he'll know a faster way down than the stairs.

Going to try another tact and Cleverly con people into helping me get out of here: [12:47] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, ++/++2 = 5

That's a natural +3 on a roll to Cleverly overcome an obstacle, which means It All Makes Sense Now is triggered and Jodie will figure something out about Sac-Nicte's future plans based on how these people respond. (Well, based on what I realize thanks to how they respond, but whatever.) Not really the best time to have a revelation, but I'll take it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
3->2 FP, Stress: [][][X]

Jodie reviews the facts as she barrels down the executive stairwell. One, the COMPro was nowhere near ready for launch, meaning this COMP is much more of a beta than she ever expected. Two, that guy from Marketing, Kenji maybe, thought they'd be out for Christmas. Sac-Nicte's left hand has no idea what the right is doing. Three, the employees her are uniformly insane in their dedication to Sac-Nicte. This staircase should be full of people that care about their lives more than minor executive privileges. Seriously, if some random drone could open that door she should not be the only person here. Four, WellOfUrd is still messaging... her...

drat it, Jodie just looked at the clock. There's no way she'll be able to go nine floors down in one minute. Might as well give WellOfUrd one last response. Not like she can do much else at this point.

pre:
You told me I would die in five minutes.

That is either a warning or a threat.

Which is it?
Jodie's got maybe thirty seconds left until this all comes crashing down. Canek's incompetence is too obvious to mention and no one has time for a serious consideration of friendship and whether she has any here in the first place.

Rolling one last time to Quickly get a bit closer to the bottom: [10:38] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, //-/+1 = 0 Krysmbot why you got to do this to me.

EDIT: On second thought, going to invoke The Truth Is Out There to at least meet back up with Team Canek. That's a total of +2, which should get me down to them.

Wait, was that just Canek shouting? Oh that's just great. Exactly what Jodie needs right now.

Actually yes, he is exactly who Jodie needs right now. She's dead either way, but at least she might be able to pry a few answers out of the old coot. She begins sprinting down the next few flights of stairs, trying to catch up with the people she by all means should have passed by now.

"Hey, Canek! How's everyone's favorite fire marshal doing, huh?"

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP, Stress: [][][X]

This is it. WellOfUrd is right. This is how Jodie dies. The Vessot clan will never be reunited. No one will go to Dad's funeral. Susan will keep doing whatever it is she's been doing. In the end, nothing really mattered.

All that because she wanted a free COMP. What a way to go.
---
Or maybe not. Maybe the rubble will fall in a way that physics says it should not. Maybe all Jodie will need to do is brush some chunks of drywall off her back. Maybe she'll raise her fists up to the heavens and yell until she's out of breath. Maybe WellOfUrd isn't as omniscient as they think they are.

Maybe the angel's posse will be right there, talking about how they're going to murder them all.

And the angel's posse is... something. Close-quarter combat techniques weren't really intended to fight birds and snakes. Guess this means she'll need to improvise.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2->1 FP, Stress: [][][X]

"Snakes. Of course I get the snakes." Jodie scowls and reaches for her bag... Wait, no. Not yet. She can't get her knife out without all seventy five of these bastards noticing. If they notice, she won't be able to guarantee the first strike. If she can't guarantee the first strike, she's going to be up to her neck in snakes before she knows it. She needs to distract them somehow...

"You know what my dad used to do when a snake got into the house? Cut it's head off, toss it into a pot and make some snake broth. He said it was good for our constitution. Worst thing I ever ate."

"But who knows, maybe demons taste better?" (Please don't notice the hand pulling a knife out of her bag.)

First, using Always Pack A Spare to say I got a survival knife on me. Second, Sneakily creating an advantage to make the snakes not realize I got a knife.
[11:24] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, /---+2 = -1
[11:27] <LurksWithWolves> Going to invoke Never Been To The City Before for a reroll, since Jodie has probably seen enough dead snakes to shittalk this one into not noticing the knife:
[11:27] <LurksWithWolves> !r fudge+2
[11:27] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, /--++2 = 1
[11:28] <LurksWithWolves> That's... better?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2->1 FP, Stress: [][][X]
Free Invokes: Subtle Knife 2/2

And now they're trying to surround her. Jodie can't blame them, really. They have numbers on their side, they'd be idiots not to. Normally she'd just outrun them, but these snakes can force their way through this rubble at least as fast as she can. All she can do here is knock some rubble into their path, maybe slow down the ones coming from her right enough for her to deal with the ones on her left. It's not a good plan, but it's the best she can get in this situation.

First, a Clever defense.
[01:57] <LurksWithWolves> !r fudge+2
[01:57] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, +//-+2 = 2
[01:57] <LurksWithWolves> Tie on the defense, I can accept that.

Still, even if she could have stopped them, she'd still have to kill seventy-five snakes. That's not something she wants to do. Too many chances to get bit, and if that happens she's doomed to... joint pain? Possession? Whatever. The point is, she needs to take out something important. Their leader, their source of power, whatever. The point is, cut off the snake's head and the body stops moving. If she wants to survive this, she'll need to do that.

Okay, that wasn't the best metaphor to use here since she'll need to do that either way. The point still stands.

Then, Cleverly creating an advantage by figuring out where I can hit them to not have to kill every single snake.
[01:57] <LurksWithWolves> !r fudge+2
[01:57] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, -++-+2 = 2

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
1 FP, Stress: [][X][X]
Free Invokes: Subtle Knife 2->0/2, 75Snakes1Jug 1->0/1

Jodie has no reason to panic. After all, they're just snakes. If they approach on the ground, stomp them. If they approach along the higher rubble, grab and slice. If they leap out of some hidden crevice like they were shot out of a cannon, grab them and cut their goddamn heads off before they can bite you any worse than they already have by the time you realize they're there. It's an easy three-step plan. No way it can fail.

[sub]It's December, why didn't she wear a jacket. Now her arms are both cold and cut up. At least the cold'll keep it from stinging too badly.

First, a Careful defense. As long I get something that isn't a natural -1 before modifiers I'll be able to make this work to my advantage.

[12:28] <LurksWithWolves> !r fudge+3
[12:28] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, -/-++3 = 2
[12:28] <LurksWithWolves> You motherfucker.

Using one free invoke on Subtle Knife to make that attack something I can handle.

Still, Jodie can't just stand here stabbing snakes all day. That will only lead to a death by a thousand bites. She needs to get to that jug, now. She doesn't need to rush, rushing will only leave her open to attack. She doesn't need to worry too hard about the snakes. The snakes can only attack her, not stop her. Seventy-five snakes are still only snakes. Two snakes stayed back to guard the jug. One lunge later, there's two half-snakes and one more snake brain ground into her treads.

And there it is. The final defense, a fine piece of glassware, baked in a kiln in rural Japan. The challenger, a steel-toed boot that has seen years of use.

Now to carefully attack the pot directly!

[12:37] <Krysmbot> LurksWithWolves, +/+++3 = 6
[12:37] <LurksWithWolves> Thank you Krysmbot.

Spending my free invokes on Subtle Knife and 75Snakes1Jug to make that a +10, because it's not like I'll be able to use those invokes once Toubyo's dead anyway.

The winner was clear before her heel even hit.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
1 FP, Stress: [][X][X]

Jodie just watches the snakes go. They're beaten now, no need to run herself ragged chasing them through the rubble. Especially not when the steel's creaking like that. Time to make like a tree and get the gently caress out of here. Sure, she could help those three guys fight their own demons, but Jodie just doesn't... Oh, what's the word she's thinking of? Oh, right. Care. She's got too many people she actually cares about to find to help these fools out.

Getting The gently caress Out now. Not sure if I need to roll anything for that, but I'm still doing it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
1->2 FP, Stress: [][X][X]

Jodie glances down at the snake slithering beside her. Demonic snakes are surprisingly easy to sway, as it turns out. She could just stomp it and move on with her life... But 1/75th of Toubyo is still a better ally to have than anyone else she's met in this city.

"First off, some ground rules. One, no biting anyone I don't want you to bite. You will know when I want you to bite someone. Two, stay hidden when you can. Three, don't call me mistress. You got that?"

The snake gives her an almost imperceptible nod.

"Good. Now come on." Jodie adjusts her COMP and smirks at nothing in particular as she starts forcing her way through the rubble.

"We got better things to do than hang around here."

Taking that compel.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

She busts her rear end trying to get out of that deathtrap of a tower and what do they do? They pin the whole thing on her. They didn't even have the tact to let the disaster sink in. They just went up and announced that "Julie Vessit" was the next bin Laden. And you know what? They at least gave bin Laden a few hours before they blamed 9/11 on him. They're skipping straight to the burial at sea for poor little Jodie Vessot.

Okay, they're giving her twenty seconds before the burial at sea. That's good. She can work with that. Melt into the crowd before anyone notices her. They flashed her headshot on the big screen, but all that means is that she'll have to cover her face while she still can. Grab a baseball cap off some guy's head while he's staring at the jumbotron, pull it down low over the eyes. Pluck a scarf out of someone's shopping bag, wrap it around the mouth and chin. After that, all she needs to do is keep her head low and avoid eye contact. You know, look too cold and miserable after all this carnage to bother with. It will work out.

"Hey, where's my hat?"

drat it.

Going to Stealthily Create An Advantage by making a half-decent disguise and just blending into the crowd: Not The One You're Looking For: 4dF+2 -1 Can't really figure out a good justification for Driving my way out of this, my aspects don't help me blend into a crowd that well...

Destrado, please be gentle.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

And now Jodie's run into a gang of moralizers. Great. She's not even sure what the big deal is, to be honest. It's just a hat, how bad could it be?

Okay, yeah, that's pretty bad. But now everyone's staring at her, and the only way Jodie can get out of this is if she gives them something to look at. No, not like that. That wouldn't help at all. She'll just throw the hat up, they'll all keep watching that, and she can just sneak off while they're busy staring at a stupid hat. Maybe she'll head for that alleyway over there? Yeah, that sounds good. There are hordes of people looking for her there. At least, there shouldn't be. There better not be any.

Going to try to Sneakily get out of this drat crowd: Show Them My T...hrow: 4dF+2 2 Eh, I'll take it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

"Because we've seen something we shouldn't have and now they have to close the leak. Cover-up 101." Jodie pulls down her scarf and slumps back against one of the less-rotted walls. She's clutching her satchel like it's her only lifeline in the storm, but the worry hasn't quite spread to her face yet. Her mind's still moving too fast for it to catch up.

"As for the demons, hell if I know. A Judeo-Christian angel attacks us, but a... Norse? COMP, search for Urd... Right, a Norse figure knew what was going on. We all fought Asian beings, except for the fairie and the second bird. There's no rhyme or reason, and we don't have any trustworthy leads that won't shoot on sight, and I... I..."

And now it's all catching up with her. No more imminent death to keep her busy, no more unexpected victories to buoy her spirits. All Jodie has now is a growing realization that she's looking for a single person in a city that wants her dead.

"I need to get out of here."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

"Oh, yeah, you have so much to worry about. You might not sing in the next Sac-Nicte commercial. What a shame. Some of us came to this town for a better reason than corporate loyalty, you know."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

Christ, this conversation got away from Jodie. First Keiko's talking about how she's a person with feelings even though that's not what she meant at all, and then Souji comes in to tell her things she already knows, but by the time she thinks of a response he's already rambling about people coming together during disasters and giving orders and now the suit's trying to take command and will you all just shut up.

But Jodie won't say that. She's wasted enough time on pointless barbs already. If they want to waste time on their dick-measuring contest, go ahead. Just don't expect her to break out a tape measure.

"I'm going to the university after this. There's someone there I need to find, but I should be able to hide with the freshmen. Feel free to come along if you won't stick out too much."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

So Mr Perfect is floundering like the rest of them. Jodie thought that that would make her feel better, somehow. But no, she's just as worried as before. Schadenfreude won't make Sac-Nicte not pin this on her. Won't get her a place to stay. Won't help her find her sister.

"At least you're better off than me, right?" Jodie gives a halfhearted laugh and a weak smile. "You know people in this town. You got a house. You got family. I've got one sister that I haven't seen in two years and six complete strangers. All because I wanted a free COMP." She looks up at the ceiling and slowly exhales. Someone here needs to keep a cool head here. Someone besides Uri. Besides, Maki's raising a good point...

"Well, there's got to be a hotel around here that won't turn us over to Sac-Nicte, right? It'd be safer than going to one of your houses, at least."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
2 FP

Jodie just groans when the Twitter message pops up. @wellofurd isn't trustworthy, not by a long shot, but at least they seemed willing to help. Now they're banned, which is kind of good but mostly bad. Good because it proves that they were actually onto something here. Bad because @wellofurd might as well be gone forever since direct messages are the only way she knows how to contact them.

Then again, if they're as precognizant as they say they are they already knew they'd get banned, so Jodie doesn't need to worry about it. What she does need to worry about is tonight's housing options...

"The country club is so exclusive that someone will notice us. So many people will be at the university that someone will eventually recognize us. We can't get around that no matter what. We also can't get around getting new clothes, since we're wanted men. The real question is, do we want a central location, or do we want good beds? That is the main choice we're making, when you get down to it."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 2 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Elanor is... And then she... Well, Jodie should probably be insulted by that, but she's mostly just baffled. Is that really what she thinks people sound like? How sheltered is she? And when the person who was raised in a cabin in the woods thinks you're too out of touch with society, there is something wrong.

"Right. The sooner we get new clothes, the sooner we can start hiding. Once we do that, Elanor can stop doing... that."

I'm ready to start the trip to the clothes store when you are.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 2->1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

"I'll distract them. Don't leave until I come back." Jodie could tell the others what she's about to do. Get a second opinion from the six people she got thrown together with. But you know what? She's not really the type to discuss her plans. Much better to just slip out the door and execute them.
---
Jodie is flat against the alley wall, digging through her bag as quietly as she could. So these corporate dogs are trying to flush them out, huh? Let's give them something to chew on. One federally certified road flare, good for twenty minutes of pure red flame, perfect for warning motorists and attracting every eye in the room. All she has to do is strike the fuse and hurl it down one alley, then they all can run down the other alley unimpeded. She lights it up, tosses it down the alley and... she really thought that it'd go farther than that. Oh dear.
---
The door slams. Jodie is staring at all of you wide-eyed, or at least more wide-eyed than usual. She's still clutching her bag to her chest.

"We need to go. Right now."

Time to stealthily create an advantage by hurling a flare towards the way we aren't going. Tactical Arson: 4dF+2 1 Invoking Paranoid Survivalist's Daughter for a +2 because I know a lot about both road flares and corporate pigs, making it a +3 total, which should(?) be enough to create an advantage. Let's say something like "A Flare?!", because that sounds like something an MGS guard would say if you hurled a flare at them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

"Could just crack open the reader and cross a few wires. They won't like it, but it'll get us in." Jodie crosses her arms, but not in an insecure way. More in a why-did-she-wear-a-sleeveless-shirt way.

Talked about doing this in IRC for ages, so I'm finally going to declare that my last free aspect is Weirdly Intense, because if there are two words that describe Jodie today, it's probably those.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

"What? It's just a card reader. Pop it open, splice a few wires together, it should be fine. It's not rocket science."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

"Only if we don't have a better way in. We have enough security after us as it is."

Which is to say, if one of you talky people want to call someone, please do it soon/tell me that you're doing it soon so I don't ruin it by trying to force the gate open.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Hearing no complaints, Jodie slips her knife out of her bag and begins prying open the card reader. Really, opening this without breaking
anything should be the hardest part. After all, knives aren't meant to do this kind of prying. Get too hard with it, you could snap the whole thing. But it finally falls open with a satisfying pop and she can finally...

Okay, that's a lot of wires. Still, it's alright, no reason to worry yet. She's taken it nice and slow so far, she can keep taking it nice and slow now. After all, this card reader can't be that different from the card readers she's seen before. She just needs to figure out what's what and then it's just a matter of cutting a few wires without getting electrocuted.

Going to Carefully fiddle around inside this thing and hopefully not ruin everything: Red Wire Or Blue Wire: 4dF+3 3 The most average result possible.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jodie Vessot
FP: 1->0 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Ugh. Are they seriously going with this plan. Christ, and Eleanor's the only one who isn't putting their foot in their mouth. At this rate Jodie would be better off on her own. But what else can she do? She's just a country girl in the big city, it's not like can just sit down and hope for the best. These rich assholes probably wouldn't even notice if she tried. And Eleanor's keeping the hostess pretty busy...

Screw it. Jodie's just going to walk into the dining room. Will the other diners notice? Yes. Will they say anything? No, because their heads are so far up their asses that they won't risk ruining the mood. Not when she's not directly bothering any of them. She'll just find a table with an empty chair, and she'll take a seat. You know, like the one she's just found. She's just quietly set her bag down under the table, and she'll take a seat, and she'll look her new tablemates in the eye and say one thing.

"I won't make a scene if you won't."

ningyou: I asked Destrado, and the stunt you weren't that sure about gives +1 to Sneaky.

Anyway, Sneakily walking into the dining room and sitting down: Seating Myself: 4dF+2+1 1 Spending a FP to invoke Snooty As Snooty Can Be for a +2 because no one wants to be the one to make a fuss for a total of +3. Hopefully that's enough.

Also, the law of conservation of NPCs dictates that I sit down at Tsubasa's table, but I'll leave the final decision to Destrado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Destrado posted:

Compel on Weirdly Intense: Jesus Jodie, how badly did you break that gate?

She said that they wouldn't like it. They had every opportunity to find another way in.

(But really, if you respliced the wires and resealed the shell it should be fine. "Fine".)

Jodie Vessot
FP: 0->1 Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Well then. This just got complicated. Can't let Patches see that she's panicking now. No, Jodie's just going to take an impolitely large bite out of this roll, she's going to swallow, and she's going to make a few informed guesses. Hopefully they're right.

"Alright." Another smaller bite, another swallow. "So, you got plenty of pretty people. That's great. Any other day of week you'd be set. But today, everything is going to poo poo out there. People don't want pretty people on days like this. They don't want people whose cost more than they made this year. They want someone who will say it like it is. They want someone like them. Like me."

Man, that better have sounded as confident as Jodie thinks it did. Because if it isn't, she is screwed.

Destrado: Just tell me on IRC if you want me to roll something here and I'll edit it in.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread