Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
This has been a great little $15 title to play this week. I'm really glad I decided to preorder it, which is something I very rarely do. My only suggestion would have been to increase the party member count to three. Two just feels off for some reason, maybe it's because I grew up on the FF series.

Final Boss:
On hard difficulty she is no joke. I had to cheese her with Gen's Paralyze-All spell. Those little black dragons are insanely fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since I have quite a collection, let's make a list of oculi effects:

Sapphire (blue)
Weapon - adds water element and damage (strong to fire weak to lightning)
Armor - Increase water resistance
Other - chance of evading an attack while casting.

Ruby (red)
Weapon - adds fire element and damage (strong to earth weak to water)
Armor - Increase fire resistance
Other - + to max HP

Emerald (green)
Weapon - adds lightning element and damage (strong to water)
Armor - Increase earth resistance
Other - + to max MP

Tourmaline (teal)
Weapon - attacks can paralyze
Armor - reduce magic damage
Other - + to magic

Amethyst (purple)
Weapon - increase physical damage when HP is low
Armor - reduce physical damage
Other - increase magic damage when HP is low

Citrine (orange)
Weapon - add light element and damage (strong to dark)
Armor - increased dodge while defending
Other - chance of knockback on attack

Diamond (white)
Weapon - Increased speed
Armor - increased XP
Other - increased casting speed

Onyx (black)
Weapon - Increased spell power
Armor - reduce all damage received when HP is low
Other - increased dodge chance when casting and HP is low

Spinel (shiny clear)
Weapon - Increased attack power
Armor - increased speed when interrupted
Other - Begin turns further forward on the timeline

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Damone posted:

And it's always on DRM.

Actually, it's not. They removed that part way back, between Assassin Creed 2 and Brotherhood, iirc.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The music in this game is amazing

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ah I like the little touch in the late game related to the skins. Cool stuff.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No problem with Uplay here. XBone user.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Uplay is mostly harmless on consoles, it's PC users who tend to have issues with it. I imagine Uplay on consoles just occasionally taps into a server for online stuff, while Uplay on PC is tied to game saves, game activation, and downloading (if you buy it though Uplay directly). All of these are things it can gently caress up, and which it has hosed up for many. Repeatedly.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lance Streetman posted:

Uplay is mostly harmless on consoles, it's PC users who tend to have issues with it. I imagine Uplay on consoles just occasionally taps into a server for online stuff, while Uplay on PC is tied to game saves, game activation, and downloading (if you buy it though Uplay directly). All of these are things it can gently caress up, and which it has hosed up for many. Repeatedly.

For consoles it's pretty much just "hey, you wanna use Uplay? No? Okay, we'll be in the options menu if you change you're mind. You do? Okay, set up an account real quick. You did that? Okay, enjoy some free poo poo for playing. Or not, we don't care."

It's certainly never made me connect to just play the game. Maybe for multiplayer, but I certainly don't need to be online to play anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I set up uplay once for some game like 3 years ago and it's just auto logged me in everytime I push start on any Uplay game. I just ignore it. It does run up my steam hour counter when I am not paying attention and forget to close it but whatever.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Missed the pre-order sale. Anyone offering a discount on this?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Green Man Gaming still has a -20% voucher going that should work on Child of Light.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Finished the game, really a lot of fun. Pretty nicely balanced for hard mode too. Will give NG+ a whirl

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm about 40% in and about to enter the giant's mouth.. I've been playing for six hours so I'm definitely getting my money's worth here. Flying around and exploring is neat, and the fighting is Grandia-lite without bad path-finding. Blinding / slowing down enemies using the mouse is a cool feature. Hard mode is pretty fun and I even died to the first boss a couple of times, and have nearly been wiped by regular enemies. This is a good thing. Debuffs are insanely useful, but buffs aren't really worth it so far. Especially buff (all) are almost never worth the casting time and cost because you are only using two characters at a time. If you could control three characters and there were attack/defend prompts like in Paper Mario this would be just about perfect.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 4, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Finished it yesterday evening. What a beautiful game, and what amazing music. Combat got a little repetitive towards the end, so I skipped a bunch, but I can forsee going in for NG+ at some point in the future.

Hoping this and M&MX are surprise hits for Ubi and they keep putting out these experiments -- it's certainly what makes them the most interesting of the huge publishers right now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

Green Man Gaming still has a -20% voucher going that should work on Child of Light.

Note that it isn't a Steamworks game, so if you buy it on GMG you'll have to use their awful Capsule download service.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Note that it isn't a Steamworks game, so if you buy it on GMG you'll have to use their awful Capsule download service.

Also note, Capsule is broken on some systems, and if you try to launch games that have third party launchers through it ( Origin/Uplay ), it'll just crash the game. There are no fixes, and GMG will not refund you for it.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Renoistic posted:

Debuffs are insanely useful, but buffs aren't really worth it so far. Especially buff (all) are almost never worth the casting time and cost because you are only using two characters at a time. If you could control three characters and there were attack/defend prompts like in Paper Mario this would be just about perfect.

This is my complaint as well. Only having two characters out at once really puts a damper on buffs/debuffs, especially with the relatively low MP pools (compared to a typical JRPG or something). It's also ridiculous that the "All" versions of skills don't really affect everyone. They only affect the two characters on screen.

A much milder complaint is that BattleClown is a little too strong in this environment. High HP, Dodge, Defense, a really fast (yet powerful) attack for interrupts, and a heal?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

This is my complaint as well. Only having two characters out at once really puts a damper on buffs/debuffs, especially with the relatively low MP pools (compared to a typical JRPG or something). It's also ridiculous that the "All" versions of skills don't really affect everyone. They only affect the two characters on screen.

A much milder complaint is that BattleClown is a little too strong in this environment. High HP, Dodge, Defense, a really fast (yet powerful) attack for interrupts, and a heal?

If you think she's awesome, wait until you meet her brother. Dude's got haste.

Though it's worth mentioning that--in NG+-- I've noticed that her attack power has actually been lagging behind the others. She's still faster than anything else on screen, but she really can't hold a candle to what Aurora can do. Though her status protection is still the best thing.

Really, I never had a problem with only having two party member as a time. I tended to have Aurora out at all times, so it was more like bringing out the other characters to support her with the buffs or an elemental attack and then maintaining a cycle when stuff started running out.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 4, 2014

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hakkesshu posted:

No? They give you a uplay key you can redeem in that client. I didn't even realise gmg had one until this post.

It's not in my precious steam library and I'm not really a uplay fan, but paying 84p for the game and golem after playfire rewards makes me feel a bit better about that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

chrisoya posted:

No? They give you a uplay key you can redeem in that client. I didn't even realise gmg had one until this post.

Okay, that's cool, I actually did not realize that.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Flytrap posted:

If you think she's awesome, wait until you meet her brother. Dude's got haste.

Though it's worth mentioning that--in NG+-- I've noticed that her attack power has actually been lagging behind the others. She's still faster than anything else on screen, but she really can't hold a candle to what Aurora can do. Though her status protection is still the best thing.

Really, I never had a problem with only having two party member as a time. I tended to have Aurora out at all times, so it was more like bringing out the other characters to support her with the buffs or an elemental attack and then maintaining a cycle when stuff started running out.

I haven't reached the brother yet. I'm about to go to the sky castle?. I've been going relatively slow and trying to find all of the chests/secrets/stardust. Every startdust goes to Aurora, just because. This probably explains why I only feel like I "need" BattleClown (on hard mode): one damage dealing tank, one interrupting healing tank works fine for most fights, especially when both have "attack all". I did end up having to slow and then lightning strike the boss spider, so I guess as the game progresses you need to swap characters in and out more often.

Actually, out of curiosity: Has anyone tried not using Aurora? Without stardust, her stats are pretty terrible early in the game. I don't know if she has better stat growth than the other characters since I haven't kept track, but she definitely has less utility in her skills. I'm guessing later down the line you absolutely need light-attribute attacks, but you could get that from oculi, right?

I'm imagining what would have happened if I dumped all the stardust into a character with rapid attacks, immunity to stat effects, and a heal instead...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ToiletDuckie posted:

Actually, out of curiosity: Has anyone tried not using Aurora?

Later in the game, I used two other characters for the smaller battles because they'd wipe the floor with everyone in 2-3 turns.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

I haven't reached the brother yet. I'm about to go to the sky castle?. I've been going relatively slow and trying to find all of the chests/secrets/stardust. Every startdust goes to Aurora, just because. This probably explains why I only feel like I "need" BattleClown (on hard mode): one damage dealing tank, one interrupting healing tank works fine for most fights, especially when both have "attack all". I did end up having to slow and then lightning strike the boss spider, so I guess as the game progresses you need to swap characters in and out more often.

Actually, out of curiosity: Has anyone tried not using Aurora? Without stardust, her stats are pretty terrible early in the game. I don't know if she has better stat growth than the other characters since I haven't kept track, but she definitely has less utility in her skills. I'm guessing later down the line you absolutely need light-attribute attacks, but you could get that from oculi, right?

I'm imagining what would have happened if I dumped all the stardust into a character with rapid attacks, immunity to stat effects, and a heal instead...

You can use occuli to add to your physical attacks yes, but she has the only Light Spell, which could be better classified as a tactical nuke.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ToiletDuckie posted:

Elevate is a big deal and she is the only light based nuker in the game.

ToiletDuckie posted:

Her stats and level are artificially boosted for the first half of the game I believe, probably to make things easier on the player. She's pretty normal in the second half of the game, and dies very quickly. If you stock pile potions and are willing to use them, you probably won't use her once your party is big enough.

If I had one complaint about the party members, it's that the final member comes a little too late and is a little too good for reasons if you are using items.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 4, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

ToiletDuckie posted:

Actually, out of curiosity: Has anyone tried not using Aurora?

I go entire fights without her on hard, just using Norah and somebody else. The character in the spoiler has a crazy-high strength stat for being a support character, and is just all-around excellent in a fight.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And because debuffs like paralysis actually work on bosses in this game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I switch between the characters all the time. On hard it's pretty much vital to do so.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I just beat the Spider boss on hard last night, and I can't imagine doing that without switching characters. Especially considering that thing's counter to being interrupted.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

And because debuffs like paralysis actually work on bosses in this game.
Well, I guess that it's to show that this game isn't a proper JRPG then :v:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Lance Streetman posted:

I just beat the Spider boss on hard last night, and I can't imagine doing that without switching characters. Especially considering that thing's counter to being interrupted.

Yeah, I'm in the sea area now, but starting with the spider, most bosses harshly punish interruption. The main issue I'm having is that I can't bring myself to use my stardusts. It's the Elixir effect all over again...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FewtureMD posted:

Yeah, I'm in the sea area now, but starting with the spider, most bosses harshly punish interruption. The main issue I'm having is that I can't bring myself to use my stardusts. It's the Elixir effect all over again...

I just applied all of them to Aurora, they're permanent.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It does say right there in the item description. I don't see why you'd ever use permanent items like that on anyone who isn't your main character, but that's just me.

You can buy more with Uplay fun monies!:v: You get UFM for cheevoes, each game Ubisoft game has more than enough to buy the Uplay nonsense associated why it.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just bought this game on a whim and am immensely satisfied so far. I think I can compare this to South Park TSOT in terms of a 2 character party where you can switch characters on a whim in combat (though in this game, you don't forfeit the turn in doing so).

I gladly bought South Park for 60, and at 15 bucks this game is a steal. I've heard 14 hours which seems about right; I think I'm about a third through at 4 hours in.

The timeline/turn based system this game has is really unique and rewarding, adding in a fun layer of strategy of which enemies to slow (or letting off at the right moments), so you can interrupt their move when it starts. I felt like a goddamn genius when I used the slower slash all ability to interrupt a single dude because Aurora was a little too far ahead on the timeline.

This game is quite marvelous. I don't really have any complaints.

Play on hard.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 5, 2014

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

You should def play on hard if you hate hoarding items in rpgs cuz that'll fix that problem real quick

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

lil baby anime posted:

You should def play on hard if you hate hoarding items in rpgs cuz that'll fix that problem real quick

I'm actually not using too many items despite going into Hard Mode. Smart play and proper timing go a long way here.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Enjoyed the game tremendously, though the story was a little weak. It just feels like the team didn't quite have enough time to do everything that they wanted.

I really enjoy the timeline/switchout system. Fighting through bosses (especially the dragons) on hard was fun but difficult. It was interesting how I might pull Finn out because an enemy is about to hit and he'd die, only to cycle him back into the fight when I have a healer nearly at hand (for fights I want to use his elemental magic in). Additionally, the Buff(All) spells are far more useful than you might think because people you cycle out of the fight don't experience time. So if I start with clowngirl and clownboy, drop fortification and status protection (all) and cycle out clownboy (can't recall his name right now), she'd have those buffs if I bring her back in towards the end of the fight.

There's something really useful about being able to switch in a protected and fortified character when you need someone who can definitely act no matter what - those buffed characters in the back line are incredibly useful. I often like buffing the awesome mask dude up, switching him out, and bringing him back in to use taunt when I need to spend a few rounds healing.

Did anyone else find that optimal play for every boss was to focus-fire down their minions one at a time while dropping heavy debuffs on the boss themselves? The way the atb system works meant that I found every boss trivial to deal with once I'd taken out their minions. Even the bosses that could revive them didn't do it that often.

FewtureMD posted:

I found that Aurora and Finn are crucial for the bosses I found the hardest, so buffing one of them magically really works well. I like dropping strength buffs on the clowngirl due to her tumble(all) and naturally high speed, and defense buffs ideally go on Aurora because chances are she'll be out the most.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

Did anyone else find that optimal play for every boss was to focus-fire down their minions one at a time while dropping heavy debuffs on the boss themselves? The way the atb system works meant that I found every boss trivial to deal with once I'd taken out their minions. Even the bosses that could revive them didn't do it that often.

Yeah, in most boss fights the biggest threat on the field is usually the two ultra-fast mobs that fight beside the boss. They just zip on through the timeline and stagger-lock you leaving you open for a beatdown from the boss.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The common boss strategy in most RPGs is to take out the minions first, then focus-fire on the boss itself. Unless the boss can resurrect minions.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What's up with all these little DLC packs, some of the ones that are just sets of gems are, I assume, a waste of time, but what about ones like the golem pack, are those worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LibbyM posted:

What's up with all these little DLC packs, some of the ones that are just sets of gems are, I assume, a waste of time, but what about ones like the golem pack, are those worth getting?

The golem pack has a new companion (the golem) with accompanying small quest; he's also integrated into the party banter and quest dialogue. I found him very useful for mopping up smaller enemies.

• Locked thread