Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

gschmidl posted:

The golem pack has a new companion (the golem) with accompanying small quest; he's also integrated into the party banter and quest dialogue. I found him very useful for mopping up smaller enemies.

Cool, I'll pick up the golem pack when I get the game then. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

LibbyM posted:

What's up with all these little DLC packs, some of the ones that are just sets of gems are, I assume, a waste of time, but what about ones like the golem pack, are those worth getting?

Most seem to be "pay-to-win" stuff.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Were there 2 gnome/dwarf characters to recruit? At the end of the game there was another one telling Finn he had become a man, just seemed odd him being there.

Also apparently there's no DLC on the Wii U :(

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 5, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

katkillad2 posted:

Were there 2 gnome/dwarf characters to recruit? At the end of the game there was another one telling Finn he had become a man, just seemed odd him being there.

Also apparently there's no DLC on the Wii U :(

That was his grandpa, you meet him when you go down the well.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Would anyone have some tips for combat and items to equip? I'm level 13 on Normal at The Big Thorn Tree and I'm still being dealt some pretty high damage by enemies in what I'm assuming to be just the second area in the game. Am I just under-leveled? . This really is a gorgeous game :aaaaa:

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Finished this earlier, fantastic game. Combat was a blast, and the option to slow or heal using the firefly was a nice twist on battle systems. It's pretty as hell and addicting.

Only downside? (endgame spoilers) It feels like the entire final dungeon was cut from the game. The end just felt abrupt - final dungeon did not feel climactic, and you go straight from the boss of that dungeon to the final boss. But given how much I enjoyed the content that was there, I can't complain too much about this

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Would anyone have some tips for combat and items to equip? I'm level 13 on Normal at The Big Thorn Tree and I'm still being dealt some pretty high damage by enemies in what I'm assuming to be just the second area in the game. Am I just under-leveled? . This really is a gorgeous game :aaaaa:

You did pick up your first party member right? She's on a floating island just outside of where you gain flight. IIRC, most enemies there use earth attacks to stick a yellow oculi (forget the name) on your armor.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Bought, played and completed this over the weekend. It was a total blast. The music is just incredible and every new locale blew me away. Ubi-Art make some really pretty games. :allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Bought, played and completed this over the weekend. It was a total blast. The music is just incredible and every new locale blew me away. Ubi-Art make some really pretty games. :allears:

Yeah, I'm really hoping that UbiArt Prince of Persia rumor is true.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Played with my kid over the weekend and really liked it. He enjoyed being the firefly, by the end of the game he was actually pretty good at helping out in combat.

Obviously gorgeous, but mechanically really sound as well. It took a while to get my head around how to really work the combat system and some of the boss fights before then were pretty tough... even some of the regular encounters. By the end it was one of the few games where I found myself using loads of potions and special abilities in combat and constantly switching characters. I'm usually pretty lazy with this stuff and tend to roll through combat using default commands. I think is testemant to the hidden depth in what looks like a fairly basic system that I'd end up using so many different characters.

Although, I never figured exactly what the role of the mouse archer was and I rarely used him, female jester didn't get much screen time either.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Gravy Jones posted:

Played with my kid over the weekend and really liked it. He enjoyed being the firefly, by the end of the game he was actually pretty good at helping out in combat.

Obviously gorgeous, but mechanically really sound as well. It took a while to get my head around how to really work the combat system and some of the boss fights before then were pretty tough... even some of the regular encounters. By the end it was one of the few games where I found myself using loads of potions and special abilities in combat and constantly switching characters. I'm usually pretty lazy with this stuff and tend to roll through combat using default commands. I think is testemant to the hidden depth in what looks like a fairly basic system that I'd end up using so many different characters.

Although, I never figured exactly what the role of the mouse archer was and I rarely used him, female jester didn't get much screen time either.

Archer has hinder (all), which is great, the Jester is fast as gently caress and great for field control, and status prevention is Godly in some fights.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I've been playing coop with my girlfriend on the WiiU, and our biggest complaint is that only being able to use the Wiimote's terrible dpad to control the firefly was a loving stupid decision. I would rather use my pro controller and give her the game pad. wtf Ubisoft?

Edit: the game is great so far. I just got to the Tree of Thorns on hard and the challenge has been keeping the game interesting for both of us

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 6, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've been playing coop with my girlfriend on the WiiU, and our biggest complaint is that only being able to use the Wiimote's terrible dpad to control the firefly was a loving stupid decision. I would rather use my pro controller and give her the game pad. wtf Ubisoft?

Edit: the game is great so far. I just got to the Tree of Thorns on hard and the challenge has been keeping the game interesting for both of us

Not to discredit your own experiences or anything, but I'm finding exactly the opposite. Even on hard mode, I'm absolutely steamrolling the game. I died once to the first boss, and almost nothing has posed a challenge since (I'm about halfway through the Tree of Thorns, so I'm hoping things pick up soon).

It's still a great game, mind, just really easy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been avoiding the threads to stop spoilers (I haven't got a lot of time to play so I'm still not done) but I'm glad I clicked now because I had no idea about the golem DLC!

For the quest in ratland where you get given an apple which you then swap for a shovel, where the gently caress do you go after that? Although I am enjoying the game I feel the 2D nature of it makes backtracking for quests (especially when you only have two lines of text to remember what to do) really irritating!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Taear posted:

For the quest in ratland where you get given an apple which you then swap for a shovel, where the gently caress do you go after that? Although I am enjoying the game I feel the 2D nature of it makes backtracking for quests (especially when you only have two lines of text to remember what to do) really irritating!

Progressively spoilery-ier answers:

Do you remember somewhere else where there was a crow?

It was near the beginning of the game.

Near the Old Monastery.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Final boss poo poo

If you lose to umbra (thanks hard mode) it sends you back to that altar. The queen of light's there with an exclamation point over her head. I pressed E on the wrong thing and got sent back to the fight. Anyone know what she says if you talk to her instead?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gravy Jones posted:

Your first spoiler - He has really high crit if you build him that way, or he can be utility with hinder. He's also your only real source of ailment clearing if you don't use potions. His 'double shot' ability is indeed quite garbage though. He's also really fast and dodgy so there's that.

Your second spoiler - she's the token healer of the game, and reviver. Anything else is gravy - for example she's artificially strong in the early part of the game when you get her due to increased level and such.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I finally got to sit down and play this for a couple hours early this morning.

I'm a bit into Act / Chapter 3 and I'm loving everything about this game so far. It's incredibly refreshing to play a gorgeous looking 2D game like this. The presentation is smooth, the music is great, the battle system works very well, it's *just* challenging enough for me on Hard, and the skill trees and Oculi systems are nice touches too. I also had no issues unlocking four or five achievements on the XBox One, either.

Yeah, it's Ubisoft and day one DLC packs can eat a bag of hairy dicks, but this game is definitely worth the $15 so far.

Why aren't there more games like this?!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Because something something 1080p, something something ESRAM.

:rolleyes:

That's the kind of answer you'll get in the "good" XBone thread.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Progressively spoilery-ier answers:

Do you remember somewhere else where there was a crow?

It was near the beginning of the game.

Near the Old Monastery.

Thank you! I feel like it's pretty unlikely you'll backtrack there whereas the other two are pretty easily found.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Taear posted:

Thank you! I feel like it's pretty unlikely you'll backtrack there whereas the other two are pretty easily found.

Yeah, I pretty much only completed that quest because I met the guy asking for the shovel earlier on and recalled where he was. If I'd missed him (which would've been fairly easy) I think I would've just not completed the quest.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What the hell is this UPlay stuff? I saw/heard some neat things about this game so I grabbed it on Steam but I guess I need to install and register a completely separate program to play it? But Ubisoft's servers aren't working so all I can really do is periodically smack the "Register" in the faint hope that someone turned them back on.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Played this game for about 2 hours but there was nothing in the beginning that gave me a 'must play more' feeling. I can get the same art feels from bastion and their new game coming out with more interesting writing as well. Or does the game pick up at some point?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If you've got flight already then that's pretty much the game. You fly around, fight monsters, and advance the plot. The fighting gets a little more hectic but the fundamentals don't change aside from swapping people in/out mid-combat.

If the visuals/audio don't click with you, ditch the game imo

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

Played this game for about 2 hours but there was nothing in the beginning that gave me a 'must play more' feeling. I can get the same art feels from bastion and their new game coming out with more interesting writing as well. Or does the game pick up at some point?

If you aren't won over by how it is straight away I don't think you'll change your mind. It doesn't alter after the altar, as it were.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The "loot" is also pretty poo poo. Gemstones are too weak to mean anything most of the time, same with the permanent upgrades.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ymgve posted:

The "loot" is also pretty poo poo. Gemstones are too weak to mean anything most of the time, same with the permanent upgrades.

Yeah, unless you shoot for Princess Stones, most of the gemstones aren't very good outside of +xp and +speed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ymgve posted:

I think Amethysts are pretty good and it can also be a BIG difference if you have the right element on your weapon when fighting. That said it doesn't make it very clear what element creatures are unless they're on fire.

I'd say my only issue realistically with the game is stuff like that. It doesn't help you unless you're lucking into it. While usually you don't need to use the right element it'd be nice to be able to. I also didn't realise "Gathering Strength" wasn't a buff until just recently when I got a party member who has an ability that takes two ticks of the timeline!
Yet it tells you "Defense stops interrupts" all the time...and it doesn't even work!

I've also found a bug - one of the characters has an ability that repeats. It's identical and you pay 2 skill points for it, I guess it's supposed to have another star the second time, but it doesn't.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 7, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Taear posted:

I think Amethysts are pretty good and it can also be a BIG difference if you have the right element on your weapon when fighting. That said it doesn't make it very clear what element creatures are unless they're on fire.

Flaming = Fire
Blue = Water
Black = Shadow
Grey = Paper (weak to fire, but why??)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Flaming = Fire
Blue = Water
Black = Shadow
Grey = Paper (weak to fire, but why??)

I guess I didn't notice this until much later in the game. But there are (for example) those white horses, do they just not have any weakness at all?

I completed the game earlier today and I do sort of agree that it feels like a final dungeon of some kind was cut out, it's all a bit of a rush after the fight with Nox. I never found the need to swap people out and tended to use someone at random as my second character. It was Robert for me in the final fight but there was no definite reason behind that.
I never died on any enemies either - I guess I should have played it on hard, but never mind. It helped that I fought every single enemy I came across so most characters were in the late 30s and early 40s in level at the end.

Amazing game though and I loved the rhyming dialogue. It felt like such care went into it and I enjoyed every minute. I do sort of wonder where the Golem I bought ended up, I never saw him/her!

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 8, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The golem's parts are all in the tree of thorns.

It does have a bit of story dialogue later if recruited but nothing essential.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

The golem's parts are all in the tree of thorns.

It does have a bit of story dialogue later if recruited but nothing essential.

Unfortunately I bought the DLC way after I'd done the tree. I guess that's another reason to do a New Game+. I also missed a quest about "lemurians flying" that looks to be really early in the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So what's up with the notes and confessions, you guys? Is it hinting that the Explorers were just regular people from the real world who just made up Lemuria as kind of like a Narnia or Middle Earth, and it just became real somehow?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just got this game, played up to getting the Map, guess I'll grab the Golem DLC since why not? Game is gorgeous and charming as hell, funny, everything that good games should be. The RPG elements seem really solid, too.

Is it likely to max everyone out in one play or will I get mileage out of multiple playthroughs by focusing on one or two "trees" for each character's skills?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

precision posted:

Just got this game, played up to getting the Map, guess I'll grab the Golem DLC since why not? Game is gorgeous and charming as hell, funny, everything that good games should be. The RPG elements seem really solid, too.

Is it likely to max everyone out in one play or will I get mileage out of multiple playthroughs by focusing on one or two "trees" for each character's skills?

Unless you grind like crazy you will not be getting max level before NG+.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
God, I love this game. It's a love letter to all of the JRPGs of the 90s and makes me feel like a teenager again. I don't want it to end! Just finished the Lemurian quests and am a little into Act 6.

For the "Through the Looking Glass" achievement, do I give someone Oculi through uPlay or my XBox friends list? Anyone need a certain kind and want to be trading buddies?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Flytrap posted:

Unless you grind like crazy you will not be getting max level before NG+.

You definitely will fill up two of your trees just by killing things you meet though. I wouldn't say character development is TOO much of a choice with that in mind.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It's a shame, but the story never really goes anywhere interesting after Aurora's sister betrays her. You don't really hear much from Nox or Umbra, and they never really do anything with the two worlds that coexist. Aurora's faux-crown seems like it will have a big place in the story but it never really matters. Instead, the plot takes a fairly by-the-book approach and she becomes the next Queen of Light after defeating her evil stepmother and sister.

It's pretty standard in terms of a family-friendly hero adventure story. The girl power angle is refreshing, but the writing felt like it was afraid to challenge itself. Or rather, I think doing the whole game in verse may have been a bit much for the writer, because some of the important confrontations have awkward dialogue that loses its bite because of the imposed meter.

Child of Light uses its "little girl with a big sword" promotional image a lot, and when I first saw it I felt wary that they were going to take a typical masculine hero's journey narrative but make the main character a girl instead. In the end that's pretty much how it went. Child of Light is proud of its fairies, glitter, dresses, and cute creatures, but it's also a story about defeating your enemy and inheriting authority. It's like if you took a Disney movie and removed the prince. The princess is pulling double-duty, but the underlying narrative structure is still the same.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You certainly don't want to piss Aurora off. She just killed him step sister (the black dragon) and doesn't seem bothered at all. drat, girl! I'm not really fond of stories where children turn into adults but I thought it was pretty funny how she calls other kids "child" afterwards.

I'm at the sea area after the dragon boss.
How much is left? The encounters are getting pretty hard and drawn out to the point of being boring (hard difficulty). Especially since the most useful character has left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Uh, Tristin can eventually do everything she can.

• Locked thread