Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i havent ever gotten good results out of offshore devs that we didnt pay less than the equivalent of 75k usd / dev, total cost like 100k/dev. that's cheaper than us dev- but not 5x cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hello - would this be an appropriate place to ask for advice on how to extricate myself out of a bad job situation or would that be better served in some career thread, e/n, etc? I'm taking steps to resolve it as best I can but a check from seasoned heads would be well appreciated as I'm only ~2 years into this

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're all experts at making the right career choices in here, so :justpost:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i havent ever gotten good results out of offshore devs that we didnt pay less than the equivalent of 75k usd / dev, total cost like 100k/dev. that's cheaper than us dev- but not 5x cheaper

:same:

My experience with cheap offshore resources is that you get even less than what you pay for. I was on a team that was making good progress on a project, about 4 months in we added some cheap offshore resources to speed up the project and because of the amount of time I spent holding their hands and fixing their bugs the project just ground to a halt. We made little to no meaningful progress for the remainder of the year and the project was eventually cancelled.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

rt4 posted:

We're all experts at making the right career choices in here, so :justpost:

EDIT: Some frankly unnecessary sharing here, but thank you everyone for your responses.

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 1, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your resume is a marketing document and the interview is a sales process

do you have a funnel, do you have a target employer, are you prospecting regularly and with solid quantity

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sleng Teng posted:

1. Job search grind. I'm under no illusions that I have a competitive profile (I'm not really developing where I am, not that much experience, fell backwards into this role, etc.) so this is a bit demoralizing. My local area isn't bad but isn't the hottest so I'm looking nationwide and remote but it seems to be an awful time to be looking.
2. Planning out something to put on Github that may be valuable to potential employers. I know that often nobody looks at this but I think it is a valuable exercise anyway.
3. Various kinds of technical self improvement (books, lectures, reading about techniques and technologies, posts, etc.)
4. Judicious amount of time dedicated to well being (working out, facetiming with family, reading for pleasure, etc. whatever I can do during lockdown)
5. My resume probably sucks so this is on the list to fix.

So, uh, any and all frank advice is appreciated because I feel kinda screwed, and sorry for injecting e/n in here

Prioritize #5, then balance #1 and #4 as best you can. The hiring manager looking at a GitHub profile is much less likely than them appreciating soft skills, so any other time you feel you have should go into #3 and only work on #2 if you can justify it under self-care.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Che Delilas posted:

You are going to find excellent developers locally whose only fault was that they were working in an industry that was vulnerable to a quarantine situation. Go local.

The rest of this is going to sound harsh if you haven't heard it before. I'm trying to help you be better as a manager and a person, and if you take it at least to mind you're going to end up in charge of good people who trust you.

People have pointed some of this out already but let me underline it because it's pretty gross: your posts indicate that you don't think of these people as people. You think of them as units of output. My earnest advice to you, if you care even the slightest bit about being a good manager, is to knock it the hell off. The first and easiest step is to stop using the word "resources" the way you're using it, because used that way it is insidiously dehumanizing, and behaviors like this infect your entire mindset.

The fact that you acknowledge that there's a productivity overhead to having offshore developers is a point in your favor, so please also be aware that it tends to severely impacts your senior devs' morale (unless you hire offshore people that are worth a drat, and given you're talking about hiring them for 20% of a local's salary that doesn't seem likely). At the end of the day, a happy developer is more productive than one who's forced to do nothing interesting because they have to teach kindergarten all day. I know the last few posts have said the same thing. Take the fact that it keeps being repeated as a strong sign you should pay attention.

Your company hesitates to get rid of local developers? GOOD. That alone should make your decision for you. Again, these are PEOPLE we're talking about, not interchangeable metal cogs; they have lives and needs and they're probably extremely concerned about how stable their career is going to be for the next few years. Maybe you shouldn't be making it easy to dump them the instant some executive decides they need a twentieth sports car this year.

I don't know why that developer gave you 1 week's notice. If you treat your developers the way your posts suggest you might, you should probably count yourself lucky. Developers who trust and respect at least one of their managers typically don't mind giving a more typical notice.

If your job is to manage engineers, and it sounds like it is, try to nurture them. Treat them like individuals, figure out what their goals and frustrations are (this is what 1 on 1s are really for, if you're doing them correctly), try to help them achieve the former and fix as much of the latter as you can. If you do that, again, they're going to trust you more and be more productive. If you think of people like objects with a dollar amount stapled to their heads, the people you're in charge of are going to detect that. They're going to punish you for it, make your job harder in a thousand little ways, and you aren't going to understand why because they won't trust you enough to tell you.

You're reading waaaaaaay too much into this post.

I use the term resource to refer to the offshore team because they aren't necessarily developers, as my manager has suggested adding QA or other roles than just developers. And yes, I got caught in corporate lingo, I'll change that around.

I absolutely don't think of my developers as just input:output - I have to justify that to corporate, but I would never just consider these folks as units of production. In a way, I'm probably too friendly with them, but we were peers before they were my reports, so that's probably not going to change.

I'm very close to being just an engineer myself (in fact, I'm supposed to be 40:60 engineer:manager, though I feel like it's more 10:90 at this point), so my view is very close to the ground. I get the sense that a lot of managers in this corporate structure don't come from an engineering background so my job has become translating corporate numbers to actual developers.

I'm not sure why the departing engineer decided to only give me a 1 week's notice. I had a good chat with them when they gave me their notice and again with this week's normal 1:1, and their reason for leaving is more about being uncomfortable with corporate than anything on our dev team. They went back to their previous company, so I think it's just a stability move.

vonnegutt posted:

"High velocity" offshore devs who need massive oversight seems like an oxymoron. Velocity is a measure of one thing - tickets closed, probably, but unless you have some very good metrics there is no guarantee that those tickets are never reopened / don't cause N bug reports to be filed / don't require reworking. The amount of oversight needed to keep them productive (finding stuff easy enough to do, reviewing PRs, etc) doesn't seem to be considered as part of this "high velocity", because by your own math, it seems they have average velocity at best.

This is indeed oxymoronic. They are high velocity in the sense that they could clear tickets almost as fast as we could give them and their biggest bottleneck was waiting for us to review. But you're right in that the amount of oversight was not included in that velocity estimation because I had many a day that I spent 4 hours just in code review suggesting changes and at times felt like I was programming by dictation.

Of the 8 or 9 devs (4 at a time) that we had on our offshore team over 6 months, 1 was legit good (wrote bug-free code that was well tested and whose PR feedback was largely limited to stylistic types of concerns). 1 was good with an asterisk (could complete features with little oversight as long as they were already stubbed and was great at fixing bugs). The rest...

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 9, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Prioritize #5, then balance #1 and #4 as best you can. The hiring manager looking at a GitHub profile is much less likely than them appreciating soft skills, so any other time you feel you have should go into #3 and only work on #2 if you can justify it under self-care.
This

Also report your boss to HR and if you are retaliated against publicly name and shame. HR is not there to protect you, but you're already worried you're gonna get fired because of this and given what's going on in the world right now they may actually make the right choice rather than protecting the racist and dealing with the blowback if it comes out publicly.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thanks for the responses everyone!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

your resume is a marketing document and the interview is a sales process

do you have a funnel, do you have a target employer, are you prospecting regularly and with solid quantity

I believe that I understand the role of the resume and interview but am not executing properly (obviously, as I do not have a new job).

I'm checking several job boards on a daily basis (manually and with search alerts.). I've also been poking the few professional contacts I have but this has not been as fruitful as I hoped and lesson learned to do a better job of networking. I have a handful of employer profiles that I'm targeting, so I'm not sending applications without a strategy but I try to avoid being rigid. I could probably stand to send more applications, right now it's 3 a day on average.

Munkeymon posted:

This tracks to me as it's roughly the order I've proceeded in. To clarify, I have updated and revised my resume to the best of my ability in addition to showing it to others (and naturally getting conflicting advice), but I'm never fully satisfied with it.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Also report your boss to HR and if you are retaliated against publicly name and shame. HR is not there to protect you, but you're already worried you're gonna get fired because of this and given what's going on in the world right now they may actually make the right choice rather than protecting the racist and dealing with the blowback if it comes out publicly.

I did in fact do this, and they released a general company wide statement maintaining a commitment to a diverse and accepting work environment, stance against prejudice, etc in line with current events. I think that's good. But the damage has been done; the relationship is toast, there's been no acknowledgement from my boss and I shouldn't be staying here anyway. But at least there's a possible trail, as you say, if there is a retaliation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Now's a bad time to be looking. Keep sending out those applications. Prioritize what you're interested in but broaden your search.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I would also add a #6: research companies with the goal of finding one without the problems of your current job. Catch up with former coworkers and ask current coworkers about good jobs and managers they've had.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

I would also add a #6: research companies with the goal of finding one without the problems of your current job. Catch up with former coworkers and ask current coworkers about good jobs and managers they've had.

I'd like to emphasize this as well. A targeted job search among companies that you find interesting and have (as best as you can tell) a good company and engineering culture may lead to better results than the ol' spray and pray method.

A few well-tailored resumes and interviews where you can demonstrate that you know what the company is about, why you're interested/excited about them, and what relevant skills you think you can bring to the team can shine through in an interview and help tip the committee in your favor.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but quantity also has a quality of its own. make a quota, hit the quota

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Sleng Teng posted:

4. Relating to 3, I feel that I am falling behind my peers with equivalent calendar experience. Every day feels like some sort of degradation. I make attempts at catching up in my spare time but it does not seem enough when 40 (but really 60) hours a week feel like wasted time. I feel like I forget more than I maintain or would learn at another company that may have some semblance of a software development practice.
I know what it’s like to feel depressed and hopeless about your skills and employment prospects. But you can do this! You definitely need to get out of your situation.

But you have 2 years of experience as a data scientist to put on your resume and that’s enough to get you a new data scientist job. Some resumé coaching and possibly interview coaching could be useful. But if you can talk shop for 30-60 minutes and can do some regressions/clustering/whatever in a takehome you’ll probably be okay.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Guinness posted:

A few well-tailored resumes and interviews where you can demonstrate that you know what the company is about, why you're interested/excited about them, and what relevant skills you think you can bring to the team can shine through in an interview and help tip the committee in your favor.

Also, you always want to be thinking in terms of your career, not just your next job. Having a dream job or technology to work on and working towards it is a lot more satisfying than taking whatever code-monkey path your next manager gives you.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'd like to stress again my gratitude for your responses.

I'll definitely work on:
- Taking another look at my resume
- Sticking to a quota
- Balancing between long term goals/interests and broadening search
- Managing my expectations!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kayakyakr posted:

You're reading waaaaaaay too much into this post.

I absolutely don't think of my developers as just input:output - I have to justify that to corporate, but I would never just consider these folks as units of production. In a way, I'm probably too friendly with them, but we were peers before they were my reports, so that's probably not going to change.

I'm very glad to hear that. I'm quite sensitive to certain language because I generally hear the same terms used by the same kind of people (the kind I was trying to help you avoid becoming), and because as I pointed out, that kind of language is insidious. If you spend a lot of your time translating between business and engineering language, that's extremely helpful to the engineers and the lack of someone who can do it is always felt.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I once pointed to a project manager I was working with, in a half-joking way, that I preferred if he referred to me as a person, a co-worker, an engineer, a programmer or anything else than a resource. He seemed completely perplexed, didn't show any sign of understanding what I was on about. I haven't pushed the issue often since, but I always make a point of it in document reviews or any time I encounter the r-word in official company language.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My boss recently said we might be getting more “resources” soon and for me to think of how we could use “more resources” on the things I work on and it took me a reeeeally long time to realize he meant adding people to the team. Then I felt gross.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I don't find "resource" to be offensive. To me it just means the person is helpful. I avoid using it only because I know so many others dislike it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Resources is at least better than human capital, as I have heard it termed before. I 1000% prefer to be referred to as neither of those though

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
tbh when I hear resources I actually hear "$$$$"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

taqueso posted:

tbh when I hear resources I actually hear "$$$$"

so does your boss

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
how about assets?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

how about assets?

too many devs are liabilities

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:drat:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
y'all the department and relevant professional certification is named "human resources" turning your nose up with the manager closest to you using it ain't gonna move the needle

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Guinness posted:

too many devs are liabilities

:perfect:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

y'all the department and relevant professional certification is named "human resources" turning your nose up with the manager closest to you using it ain't gonna move the needle

It is all you can do and maybe if it gets them to realize it they can start turning their noses up at others adjacent and above them as well.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

JawnV6 posted:

A lot of tech companies that I've talked to/worked with have rebranded it as 'People' or 'Talent'. Which feels gross but anything HR related feels gross to me

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
it's just a euphemism treadmill. slaves became serfs, serfs became laborers, laborers became employees, employees became resources. in fifty years there will be a bunch of articles that gasp at the fact that indigo salute our customers service dan were ever referred to by the diminutive term "resources" while celebrating a new milestone - the world's first quadrillionaire.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
The word "resources" is a window into the soulless nature of the corporate world

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I used to be "headcount" before I became a "resource", I'm not sure which is better.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Well at least headcount implies you are an embodied entity with a head.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As opposed to your team having a bodycount, which says something totally different.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Ideally, you can split those between two parallel jobs.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paolomania posted:

Well at least headcount implies you are an embodied entity with a head.

It's also how you refer to the number of cattle in an area.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing wrong the cattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Jabor posted:

As opposed to your team having a bodycount, which says something totally different.

I wonder where you would put your software engineering KDR on your resume. Skills, work experience, or objective?