Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nah, CoL is a really useful metric.

Just don't use it as your only guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Munkeymon posted:

Am I missing the part where they give you more comprehensive data than top ~10 of a few categories they felt like talking about?

No I just linked it for the averages.

Munkeymon posted:

Just keep that up for another decade and you'll have a nice downpayment for real estate in your market!

Hahahaha I'm lucky enough that my family "invested" in local real estate (see: bought a home for their family) many moons ago and their wish is that I live there when they pass but I'm not sure I a.) want to pay tri-state taxes b.) even want to own a home!

Properly implementing compareTo makes CoL a fine metric.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

FamDav posted:

but how much stock do you get tho

The company is technically nonprofit/private, so no stock unfortunately. I do get a pension plan, free health insurance, 5 weeks PTO, and work remotely, so they make up for it. But yeah, I'm aware that a big portion of tech comp is in stock, but Mniot specifically said he gets $180k base in Boston. I'm just curious what type of companies pay that high of base salary in this field. The $120k Redhat offer he mentioned aligns more with what I've seen.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

Rent for me is $1725 a month so I need to take home more than $4225 each month in order to do the same as you :cry:

I feel the same as you re: take-home assignments. Whiteboarding is one thing, but man, my skills are really rusty

Good lord, my mortgage is < 750 USD / month for a 4 bedroom house. You live in stupid land.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skandranon posted:

Good lord, my mortgage is < 750 USD / month for a 4 bedroom house. You live in stupid land.

I live in the middle of Boston. I want to leave, but I like having a not-stupid commute and Boston's got tech jobs...

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Skandranon posted:

My 2br/1.5 bath rent is $1850 and it's only that cheap because I live about 5 (to 10) subway stops from work and got remarkably luck and found it through the management company who had just knocked the rent down. For an apartment of this size closer to Midtown/Flatiron/Fidi or to live without roommates, it would probably be $2300-2400 at the very minimum from the looking that I did.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skandranon posted:

Same for me, but I do understand the appeal of living in the middle of Boston or wherever. If only life wasn't a bunch of tradeoffs...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

My 2br/1.5 bath rent is $1850 and it's only that cheap because I live about 5 (to 10) subway stops from work and got remarkably luck and found it through the management company who had just knocked the rent down. For an apartment of this size closer to Midtown/Flatiron/Fidi or to live without roommates, it would probably be $2300-2400 at the very minimum from the looking that I did.

You bring home at least $4350 a month? drat, I'm jelly.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Pollyanna posted:

You bring home at least $4350 a month? drat, I'm jelly.

My paychecks are about $2800 each after all deductions, yes. It doesn't feel hard to get a salary this high in NYC. Almost all of my developer friends have reached this point with 4-5 years of experience.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah, I'm at 3.5 and based on my experience yesterday (:yikes:) I'm apparently not worth quite that much.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Interesting - we'd probably end up with just one topic, but wouldn't we sacrifice storage efficiency by interleaving time spans on top of each other? We'd expect each new version of the schedule to mostly have changes in attribute values (think XML because that's what we get!) rather than big structural changes like elements disappearing. Part of the reason I wanted to suggest Kafka is that I'd read it was space efficient because it stored document diffs and we're Very Concerned about that since this would be part of moving the infrastructure to AWS so storage costs cut into margin there. I suspect that was at least partially an excuse to use something the current lead is more familiar with, though ;)

Throughput should be in the lower tens of thousands of relevant updates per day for the big customer we were designing infrastructure to onboard, with irrelevant updates being fairly trivially discarded upstream. We needed new infra. because they're ~1.5 times the size of the rest of our customers combined. Not every schedule update has to be processed, either, just the newest since we get a global state in the time slice.

We coordinate services with many hundreds of other companies based on the information in the schedule, so yes, we compute... stuff from the schedules and then messages are retained for a few months to figure out what happened when there's a fuckup. I guess that's our response time scale since we don't reply to client updates - they just expect our service providers to be ready and waiting at the appropriate place and time.

Unless they’ve changed something then you have a misunderstanding here. Kafka is completely agnostic to the contents of messages, they’re just a binary key/value pair as far as it’s concerned. It does no special processing between messages.

Avro is the most common encoding scheme used and that also doesn’t do document diffs. Compression is gzip or zippy (or whatever that’s called).

You might be thinking about log compaction which is based on retaining the most recent version of each message based on the key. Again though that doesn’t inspect the contents of the message.

If you manage your schemes via a schema registry then avro messages are really small. Less than 100 bytes each in our use case.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

The March Hare posted:

For the sake of argument, those of you who seem to be in the know, where would you start with fp if you might someday want to work using the paradigm?

I've been eyeing elixir bc the erlang vm seems incredibly sweet and it has a reasonable syntax but I've actually had the same kind of reservations (without actual cause, just suspicion) about it being run by rubyists.

I guess I could just use erlang but hoooo boy.

Depends on your background. If you're a Microsoft kinda guy, F# is pretty cool (even though C# eventually gets the coolness).

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Skandranon posted:

Hmm... I'm $2400 all up (interest, principal, taxes, insurance). 4 bedroom... acre of land. 10 minutes from main work campus.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pixelboy posted:

Hmm... I'm $2400 all up (interest, principal, taxes, insurance). 4 bedroom... acre of land. 10 minutes from main work campus.

I’m at $2400, not including renters insurance/utilities/etc, in the middle of Cambridge MA for a 1BR.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't know what I'd do with that space. I went to college in NYC and growing up, my family always had a tiny house in the burbs. Even though my dad is pretty loaded at this point, they still live there.

65" TV, 2 couches in the living room + my nice desk with modest displays in my room is all I need. Until I have kids which isn't even super likely.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

I don't know what I'd do with that space. I went to college in NYC and growing up, my family always had a tiny house in the burbs. Even though my dad is pretty loaded at this point, they still live there.

65" TV, 2 couches in the living room + my nice desk with modest displays in my room is all I need. Until I have kids which isn't even super likely.
My wife insists on having spare rooms ready for family that will never visit. It's strange.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Unless they’ve changed something then you have a misunderstanding here. Kafka is completely agnostic to the contents of messages, they’re just a binary key/value pair as far as it’s concerned. It does no special processing between messages.

Avro is the most common encoding scheme used and that also doesn’t do document diffs. Compression is gzip or zippy (or whatever that’s called).

You might be thinking about log compaction which is based on retaining the most recent version of each message based on the key. Again though that doesn’t inspect the contents of the message.

If you manage your schemes via a schema registry then avro messages are really small. Less than 100 bytes each in our use case.

Shoot, I thought I saw in a talk that it did some kind of differential storage magic, but maybe that was something else from the same talk. Still, just the queue depth feature and being able to just pluck the newest would probably save us work, but it's a sunk cost now :haw:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Pixelboy posted:

Depends on your background. If you're a Microsoft kinda guy, F# is pretty cool (even though C# eventually gets the coolness).

I don't see C# ending up with all the coolness. For example, I think computation expressions and units of measure aren't going anywhere near C#, which is a pity.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

outside of weird edge cases your processing costs are going to dwarf your storage costs for anything on aws

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

redleader posted:

I don't see C# ending up with all the coolness. For example, I think computation expressions and units of measure aren't going anywhere near C#, which is a pity.

C# kind of has partial computation expressions if you’re willing to abuse custom awaitables :v:

The real problem with F# vs C# these days is that all the new dotnet tooling hotness seemingly isn’t tested for F# at all before release, so everything is three point releases behind and buggy as hell.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

ForrestPUMP69 posted:

The company is technically nonprofit/private, so no stock unfortunately. I do get a pension plan, free health insurance, 5 weeks PTO, and work remotely, so they make up for it. But yeah, I'm aware that a big portion of tech comp is in stock, but Mniot specifically said he gets $180k base in Boston. I'm just curious what type of companies pay that high of base salary in this field. The $120k Redhat offer he mentioned aligns more with what I've seen.

I don't want to doxx myself, but let's see: it's a California-based company, and we use Elixir. So, CA + unusual tech-stack probably increases the price a little. Other than that, my non-base-salary benefits aren't anything to brag about, so it might be comparable to a Google base salary of $160k? I have no idea how much stock Google hands out. And if I wasn't done having kids then Google's parental leave would be worth another $20k to me, at least.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Mniot posted:

I don't want to doxx myself, but let's see: it's a California-based company, and we use Elixir. So, CA + unusual tech-stack probably increases the price a little. Other than that, my non-base-salary benefits aren't anything to brag about, so it might be comparable to a Google base salary of $160k? I have no idea how much stock Google hands out. And if I wasn't done having kids then Google's parental leave would be worth another $20k to me, at least.

Personally my stock is about half my total yearly comp at Goog and has been at least 1/3 since I joined.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My 2br/1.5 bath rent is $1850

That's what I pay in Pittsburgh :stonklol:

I have 1900 sq ft and off-street parking for that price.

But I don't live downtown, I'm about 2 miles outside of it and have a 10 minute commute (places downtown are small so small).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
1100-sqft, 4-bedroom houses on 5000-sqft lots are going for north of $900k in my area right now. Hooray for living in the Bay Area.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I pay half towards a mortgage in a wealthy Brooklyn neighborhood and it's $1k. We did a full gut on a tight budget and the place is beautiful. Basically, y'all should work on being way luckier.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

The March Hare posted:

I pay half towards a mortgage in a wealthy Brooklyn neighborhood and it's $1k. We did a full gut on a tight budget and the place is beautiful. Basically, y'all should work on being way luckier.

I hope you eat at 5ive spice regularly you yuppie scum :wink:

geeves posted:

That's what I pay in Pittsburgh :stonklol:

I have 1900 sq ft and off-street parking for that price.

But I don't live downtown, I'm about 2 miles outside of it and have a 10 minute commute (places downtown are small so small).

I have no idea what my square footage is because that's not a thing most places list here in God's Town

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm apartment hunting uptown and gag at the prices when I already pay $1.4k in Jersey.

don't live in Jersey

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm apartment hunting uptown and gag at the prices when I already pay $1.4k in Jersey.

don't live in Jersey

Look north of 90th off the Q, can probably get something for not much more than $1400!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

raminasi posted:

C# kind of has partial computation expressions if you’re willing to abuse custom awaitables :v:

The real problem with F# vs C# these days is that all the new dotnet tooling hotness seemingly isn’t tested for F# at all before release, so everything is three point releases behind and buggy as hell.

Jesus Christ, you aren't joking.

And yeah, for an officially-supported language, the state of F# tooling is shocking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That general problem is the same problem with almost all cool and good non-mainstream languages...the scaffolding all around the language is lacking.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Thermopyle posted:

That general problem is the same problem with almost all cool and good non-mainstream languages...the scaffolding all around the language is lacking.

What’s worrisome in this case is that it’s been getting worse. All the efforts to make the .NET ecosystem not suck a butt are leaving F# behind.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What exactly are the numbers behind the current supply/demand balance re: engineers? I know there’s a lot of jobs for engineers (junior? senior? any level?), but how many of them are “good” jobs, worth taking, etc? Has this been broken down anywhere?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
:staredog: "Good jobs worth taking" is incredibly subjective.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

What exactly are the numbers behind the current supply/demand balance re: engineers? I know there’s a lot of jobs for engineers (junior? senior? any level?), but how many of them are “good” jobs, worth taking, etc? Has this been broken down anywhere?

How do you think that data will help guide your decisions?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

How do you think that data will help guide your decisions?

...it won't...

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Has this been broken down anywhere?
No.

But, there will always be good jobs and bad jobs. All over the place. There will even be jobs that are better than your current one where you would be hired with better pay and benefits, if you were to physically move to that market.

"Are there good jobs?" isn't the correct question to ask, though. The correct question is, "if I were one of 100 applicants for an awesome available job right now, why would they pick me over everyone else?" That's what you should be spending your time and energy pondering. Is it the breadth of your skills? Your attitude? Level of expertise in some topic? Work experience at some particular company in the past?

Figure that out and you'll find that there are good jobs all over the place! Some may even come straight to you.

Speaking of hiring, it's entry-level hiring time! I've been doing the university career fair circuit for the past few weeks. I've actually asked students this question as some polite variation of "so, what makes you better than the rest of the resumes I have in my pile, here?" Having a reasonable answer to that question moves you up in the pile very quickly. Also, when students are inquiring about H1-B visa sponsorship, I always ask "what extra-ordinary skills do you have that would merit H1-B sponsorship?" and I have always gotten a dumb look back in response.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I've just finished crunching the numbers and the answer is 100% of jobs at NASA and 0% of jobs at anywhere else, hope this helps you in your search!

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

hendersa posted:

Also, when students are inquiring about H1-B visa sponsorship, I always ask "what extra-ordinary skills do you have that would merit H1-B sponsorship?" and I have always gotten a dumb look back in response.

Are you just being a dick, or is there an answer you'd accept? Anyone who's done something specifically special shouldn't be hanging around a career fair, because the companies/people who they'd interned with would be calling them with job offers. The best you could get at the fair would be someone who's got all the same skills as everyone else there but is better at them.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mniot posted:

Are you just being a dick, or is there an answer you'd accept? Anyone who's done something specifically special shouldn't be hanging around a career fair, because the companies/people who they'd interned with would be calling them with job offers. The best you could get at the fair would be someone who's got all the same skills as everyone else there but is better at them.

I think he was looking for literally any answer? It’s just priming people to tell you what they’re good at/sell themselves.

“I’m not good at anything” is a pretty bad look. And if you can’t or won’t answer the question: “what are you good at?” that’s the assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

leper khan posted:

I think he was looking for literally any answer? It’s just priming people to tell you what they’re good at/sell themselves.

“I’m not good at anything” is a pretty bad look. And if you can’t or won’t answer the question: “what are you good at?” that’s the assumption.
This is correct. I'm just looking for anything that I can get to justify the H1-B sponsorship. By default, we do not offer H1-B sponsorship unless it is an extraordinary case. I tell the students this up-front and then ask them what skills they have. These are grad students, so maybe they did something amazing before pursuing their grad degrees. If they are, though, they aren't saying anything about it...