Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sinten posted:

Was it coincidence or did something change, like new management?

A big giant 1 year estimated project was demanded to be finished within 6 months, even after they scoffed at the initial estimate and went to an external company for their estimate which was even longer.
They brought in an external contracting company that savaged much of the code base and were told to lax their code review standards to allow work to be completed faster.
Many offshore resources were brought in and the remaining few just lead offshore teams now.

The CTO that made all these promises was also fired for being a dickhole, unrelated to his inability to perform his job well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

dantheman650 posted:

Starting a new position on Monday. It’s my second real software job. Advice for the first few weeks?

Don't write bugs.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Understand the team / company culture, learn the codebase, try to spend more time listening than commenting or suggesting.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

dantheman650 posted:

Starting a new position on Monday. It’s my second real software job. Advice for the first few weeks?

You may feel like a total idiot for a month or two as you learn your new shop’s folk wisdom. This doesn’t mean you are one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

dantheman650 posted:

Can you juggle? Ride a unicycle? Sing? All three at once?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

This is the best possible time to ask fundamental questions. Where are the tests? Why was this system designed this way? Who on the team is an expert on what, and what is our bus factor? What is the style guide? How do we plan what to work on?

Don't start pushing for changes to the current system right out the gate. You don't want to be perceived as the cocky newbie who isn't interested in learning how things work around here. However, you can start dialogs about why the system is the way it is (since you are trying to learn how the system works), and you can learn how much thinking the team has done about different possible approaches. In other words, instead of saying "We should do X", say "Have we previously talked about doing X? What was the conclusion at that time?"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

necrobobsledder posted:

Understand the team / company culture, learn the codebase, try to spend more time listening than commenting or suggesting.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't start pushing for changes to the current system right out the gate.

psh, this is no way to be. how!! it up and suggest a ground-up rewrite for every component that's even mentioned around you on day 1

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

dantheman650 posted:

One really good contribution a new developer can make at a company is updating their READMEs / documentation / etc. Try to follow (any) documentation they have to get your dev environment set up, and update it as necessary.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

vonnegutt posted:

One really good contribution a new developer can make at a company is updating their READMEs / documentation / etc. Try to follow (any) documentation they have to get your dev environment set up, and update it as necessary.

This, so much this. The first time perspective is almost impossible (for me, anyway) to fully empathize with. Don’t just "figure it out" and move along, fix the doc and you’ll be my hero.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I forgot where I'm posting.

Suggest a rewrite of the codebase in Elixir and start with the most critical core component so that its performance improvements impact as many parts at once. Containerize your database in production to improve availability. Migrate your GUI facing pieces to Electron while you're at it. Make sure to start a new project and name it after an anime character that best represents its spirit. Never include anyone else because any badness in existing code was by definition created by that team and it's important to start from a baseline of excellence free of corruption and legacy behavior.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

JawnV6 posted:

psh, this is no way to be. how!! it up and suggest a ground-up rewrite for every component that's even mentioned around you on day 1

Is there a name for this behavior? It's like the polar opposite of imposter syndrome: in the face of many systems that you don't understand how to work with, you experience unrealistic fear that you cannot cope with the situation you become convinced that literally only you can comprehend and "fix" the situation

necrobobsledder posted:

I forgot where I'm posting.

Suggest a rewrite of the codebase in Elixir and start with the most critical core component so that its performance improvements impact as many parts at once. Containerize your database in production to improve availability. Migrate your GUI facing pieces to Electron while you're at it. Make sure to start a new project and name it after an anime character that best represents its spirit. Never include anyone else because any badness in existing code was by definition created by that team and it's important to start from a baseline of excellence free of corruption and legacy behavior.

^^^ this ^^^

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

prisoner of waffles posted:

Is there a name for this behavior? It's like the polar opposite of imposter syndrome: in the face of many systems that you don't understand how to work with, you experience unrealistic fear that you cannot cope with the situation you become convinced that literally only you can comprehend and "fix" the situation

The Dunning-Kreuger effect. A.k.a. your lack of knowledge leads you to be supremely confident in your abilities instead of extremely uncertain.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Now that I'm no longer phone posting I won't poo poo post. I'm starting a new role on Monday as well taking on two back end teams that haven't had close management for a long time.

My approach that can also work for an IC is to break up the job into three broad categories, People, Process, Technology. For an IC that first week or two can be:
People: Meet the team, talk with your lead, get the 1:1s scheduled and have the initial one. Make sure that the expectations for the role are clearly defined to you as well as how/when follow-ups will happen.
Process: How do you get the code on your machine? Build and run it in the dev environment. What's the pre-commit rituals? Understand how you get code from your machine to production. How are things tasked? What's the rituals around Agile/Scrum/anything else?
Technology: Get an overview of the architecture. How's the documentation there? Can you improve it? Is there a tech road map for what's going on in the future? Spend time reading wikis/confluence to learn what's there. Make your first commit.

Others can probably add/subtract from the list but something like that I think is a good first 5 days to go through. As a manager my plan is basically that but writ large and over 2 weeks. IE: Make sure I have had initial 1:1s with everyone. See if there are common complaints and come up with ways to make a change to address them. Talk through the POs and VPs with what the 9 month road map looks like etc... By the end of the 2nd week I should have a meeting with a team wide introduction as well as any plans going forth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dunning-Kreuger effect. A.k.a. your lack of knowledge leads you to be supremely confident in your abilities instead of extremely uncertain.

That's not the Dunning-Krueger effect.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I forgot make sure you know what is expected of you... and proceed to do absolutely none of that. "Concerned" is code for "I don't know what you're doing" and is a sign to keep things up because they don't know greatness since they haven't witnessed it by then. Because if they were right about setting expectations and goals for people they wouldn't have needed to hire you, right?

For fucks sake don't do any of this, this is SA. Each and every one of these things I've mentioned in the past couple posts have been done or uttered confidently by people I worked with briefly. Briefly because all were fired within 1 month after my arrival even from normally cushy executive positions. Or do it all with no exception and post to the forums with daily updates

prisoner of waffles posted:

Besides Dunning-Krueger, I'd put it under different forms of self-important asshattery AKA narcissism. Cult leaders, conspiracy theorists, and every other person on social media trying create a "brand" all count IMO. You cross into narcissism territory from confidence when you start actively excluding information rather than accidentally omitting it or start putting others down to get you ahead.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Gildiss posted:

A big giant 1 year estimated project was demanded to be finished within 6 months, even after they scoffed at the initial estimate and went to an external company for their estimate which was even longer.
They brought in an external contracting company that savaged much of the code base and were told to lax their code review standards to allow work to be completed faster.
Many offshore resources were brought in and the remaining few just lead offshore teams now.
Yeah, if I was anywhere near capable I would leave asap as well when stuff like this happens.
Especially the part I bolded makes me scream out loud.

Hughlander posted:

Find the biggest guy you can and....
Review his code. Review it hard!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

https://medium.com/feature-creep/the-software-engineer-s-guide-to-asserting-office-dominance-ddea7b598df7

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm shocked and saddened that it took that many posts for that article to appear ... and that I didn't post it.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I'm working on a side project with another that's likely to take multiple months, so we're looking for some way of storing plans, notes, institutional knowledge, etc. There are about 3 million different options, anyone have recommendations for that sort of thing or should I just keep writing Google Docs

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

muon posted:

I'm working on a side project with another that's likely to take multiple months, so we're looking for some way of storing plans, notes, institutional knowledge, etc. There are about 3 million different options, anyone have recommendations for that sort of thing or should I just keep writing Google Docs

Is there any reason github wikis wouldn't work for you? If not google docs are totally fine.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've personally found markdown files that you commit into sourcecode as a great way to codify non-code related things. It helps that it's already a super familiar workflow for software engineers.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
...and if you name them README.md then GitHub will show it automatically when you look in that folder.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

TheCog posted:

Is there any reason github wikis wouldn't work for you? If not google docs are totally fine.

Haven't looked into it, I'll check that out, thanks!

Doh004 posted:

I've personally found markdown files that you commit into sourcecode as a great way to codify non-code related things. It helps that it's already a super familiar workflow for software engineers.

Makes sense. My personal site is all markdown files generating a static site via Hakyll, it's a pleasing user experience.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

muon posted:

If you like emacs, this is what org-mode is for.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I might be a weirdo for liking Quip. No, not the toothbrush https://quip.com/

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I had to use Quip a few years ago at FB, because they refuse to use any Google products. It was awful.

As I recall, Quip started out as an FB-internal tool, then the devs left and founded their own company, rebuilt the product... and sold it back to FB. While of course they built it again from scratch, it just so happened to look exactly like the original internal product, even down to the CSS styles and colors... *cough*

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Notion is pretty great

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I’m in my first programming job. We recently started to do sprints, since we are starting to do production code instead of proof of concept code.

For the past couple of one on one meetings with my manager, I have been asked for feedback on our sprint meetings.

I don’t really contribute to the meetings except for my sprint demo.

I am not sure how or what I would give feedback about. I don’t know anything about stuff I should prefer or dislike in sprint meetings.

I don’t know anything about project management. How do I form opinions on project management?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Faith For Two posted:

I’m in my first programming job. We recently started to do sprints, since we are starting to do production code instead of proof of concept code.

For the past couple of one on one meetings with my manager, I have been asked for feedback on our sprint meetings.

I am not sure how or what I would give feedback about. I don’t know anything about stuff I should prefer or dislike in sprint meetings.

I don’t know anything about project management. How do I form opinions on project management?

"I am not experienced enough in this sprint thing to comment on it."
But actually I think your manager wants to hear you don't like it so he can kill it and go back to a process he understands.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Giving the benefit of the doubt, the manager is doing a retrospective. If they just started the process, they probably read about that somewhere and are just following along.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Faith For Two posted:

You give the same feedback you’d give about any other meeting. “It was a boring waste of time.” “It was a good way to keep abreast of what the rest of the team is up to.” “The principle is good, but we kept getting side-tracked, so tighter moderation would be good.” Meetings should serve their attendees’ interests, and your boss is trying to figure out if this is the case for you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Are these sprint planning meetings, where you decide what to work on? Are they scrums, where everyone quickly says what they're doing and what's getting in their way? Are they the retrospectives, where you look at how the last sprint went so you can tweak the next one?

Planning meetings are mostly the domain of the team leads and project managers; I wouldn't normally expect the rank and file to be attending those. With scrums, IMO the best way to handle them is virtually: have a team chat or email or whatever where every day (or whatever your scrum interval is) people speak up about what they're doing. It's less intrusive than a fifteen-minute meeting. And really the point of the scrum is to make sure nobody's doing duplicate work or unknowingly blocking someone else. You don't need in-person realtime discussions to achieve that.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

necrobobsledder posted:

I might be a weirdo for liking Quip.

Quip has customers outside of Salesforce!?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Are these sprint planning meetings, where you decide what to work on?
This might be both obvious and beside the point, but sprint planning meetings (in a Scrum sense) are generally not for deciding what to work on. This is product team work and it's typically a big waste of everyone's time to make engineering teams sit through this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

This might be both obvious and beside the point, but sprint planning meetings (in a Scrum sense) are generally not for deciding what to work on. This is product team work and it's typically a big waste of everyone's time to make engineering teams sit through this

Yeah, I only listed that one because in my experience it's not at all uncommon to invite people to meetings they have no business being in.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Haha I don't know what to think about this. Was that boss self-aware and considered a two-week notice an improvement or something?

Sorry I haven't kept up on this thread. The answer to this question is no, no he's not self-aware, dude is far too rich and comfortable to be self-aware.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

We use sprint planning with the entire team there so we can influence what we work on and commit to in a sprint. As soon as others start telling me what needs to happen in what timeframe, I would check out and start looking.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Might be in a new job soon. Will have to do UI stuff. Did MFC stuff back in the day for C/C++. If they ask for modern stuff what do I do? Is it worth getting round to C# and do WPF stuff or some C++ ui library?. This would be for terminals/screens not the web. Not been told exactly what it will be on but thinking touchscreens or PC and mouse affairs. Want super reliable ideally but then don't we all, but will be a bit more mission critical in terms of what it is used for.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FelchTragedy posted:

Might be in a new job soon. Will have to do UI stuff. Did MFC stuff back in the day for C/C++. If they ask for modern stuff what do I do? Is it worth getting round to C# and do WPF stuff or some C++ ui library?. This would be for terminals/screens not the web. Not been told exactly what it will be on but thinking touchscreens or PC and mouse affairs. Want super reliable ideally but then don't we all, but will be a bit more mission critical in terms of what it is used for.

from what I can tell, the only UI platform that exists anymore is Electron.

mostly joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Careful Drums posted:

mostly joking

no you're not