Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Companies can't legally punish people for discussing compensation with other employees. That's a federal law as far as I remember.

Yeah but they could close down the highly visible discussions, which they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Compensation is fair – actually quite good if you account for everything. Add to that the culture of openness internally, and you get things like discussing compensation, with people visibly volunteering a lot of info for conversations, without repercussions.

I've always assumed that companies would only be open about compensation if it was based on skill and experience, and not on the employee's negotiation skill.

Is that true at Facebook?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lifg posted:

I've always assumed that companies would only be open about compensation if it was based on skill and experience, and not on the employee's negotiation skill.

Is that true at Facebook?

AIUI you can negotiate within your salary band, or even negotiate your starting level up, but the step up to the next level wipes the floor with the salary band range, making negotiation mostly irrelevant after you level up I think. Getting promoted to the next level is based on skill and experience and is calibrated across different managers/teams/departments. As far as I've seen it, I think it's fair.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

AIUI you can negotiate within your salary band, or even negotiate your starting level up, but the step up to the next level wipes the floor with the salary band range, making negotiation mostly irrelevant after you level up I think. Getting promoted to the next level is based on skill and experience and is calibrated across different managers/teams/departments. As far as I've seen it, I think it's fair.

Is it only salary we're discussing here? I've never heard of a company changing previous equity grants based on being promoted and your starting equity grant has a long impact on your total compensation, generally four years.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

Companies can't legally punish people for discussing compensation with other employees. That's a federal law as far as I remember.

This has been illegal for longer than any of us have been alive, but it didn't stop a former employer from putting it in the handbook as a fireable offense. From checking the wayback machine it looks like it took them until 2016 to strike that from the handbook.

I wonder if someone pointed it out to them, or if they got taken to court over it.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I'm surprised that Facebook is so open about compensation. I saw https://qz.com/458615/theres-reportedly-a-big-secret-spreadsheet-where-google-employees-share-their-salaries/ and that made me think that big tech companies are all shady when it comes to comp, but then I've heard that Facebook pays even more than Google, so maybe Facebook really is different.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
One of the company I worked with said compensation was proprietary information and company secret and Included not divulging as part of the non-compete.

I'm not in the U.S. of A and it's not as illegal here as in Cali but they knew I broke that part and I never had legal or other repercussions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

oliveoil posted:

I'm surprised that Facebook is so open about compensation. I saw https://qz.com/458615/theres-reportedly-a-big-secret-spreadsheet-where-google-employees-share-their-salaries/ and that made me think that big tech companies are all shady when it comes to comp, but then I've heard that Facebook pays even more than Google, so maybe Facebook really is different.

As I recall, Google's compensation isn't that outlandish; high, but not top-tier high. They just spend a ton of effort on their other benefits.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

oliveoil posted:

Its still not common for companies to publish all the employee salaries, but it doesn't seem uncommon among the bigger SV tech companies that engineers share them themselves (A bunch of us at Google do), I dont think its terribly different at Facebook from talking to my friends there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I recall, Google's compensation isn't that outlandish; high, but not top-tier high. They just spend a ton of effort on their other benefits.
It's not outlandish for the majority of employees, but it's one of only a handful of places where you can manage a seven-figure income as a non-management-track engineer if you've got the skills and productivity to warrant it.

e: probably a lot less likely nowadays as the value of option grants for new employees is surely a lot lower than it once was

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 17, 2017

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I remember reading about Fog Creek's open compensation levels. It seems like such a nice idea, especially for engineers, to have such clear numbers to figure out where you are and what your next steps are.

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2009/02/13/fog-creek-professional-ladder/

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

asur posted:

Is it only salary we're discussing here? I've never heard of a company changing previous equity grants based on being promoted and your starting equity grant has a long impact on your total compensation, generally four years.
Equity isn't a one-and-done thing that you only get at signing at FB (though there is that). I don't want to give misinformation so I'll leave it at that. Overall I think FB's comp is competitive, and rather fair.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not outlandish for the majority of employees, but it's one of only a handful of places where you can manage a seven-figure income as a non-management-track engineer if you've got the skills and productivity to warrant it.

e: probably a lot less likely nowadays as the value of option grants for new employees is surely a lot lower than it once was

Hi I would like a seven figure salary where do I sign up thanks

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Doghouse posted:

Hi I would like a seven figure salary where do I sign up thanks

What Vulture Culture meant was "you don't have to transition to the management track to get the big money", i.e. an engineer with 20+ years of experience can make similar dosh as an engineer-cum-manager with similar experience at an ordinary company. They have promotion tracks all the way up to VP level-equivalent, or thereabouts.

So, y'know, if you have that kind of skill, go ahead and apply and get your 7-figure salary!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'd almost think that an engineer that would be valuable enough to warrant a 7-figure compensation package would be getting called by Google, not the other way around.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is the ceiling really that high? For some reason I wad under the impression that it was a much lower ceiling

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If you're Jeff Dean.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Vulture Culture posted:

Option grants?? What decade is this where they aren't RSU's?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

JawnV6 posted:

Option grants?? What decade is this where they aren't RSU's?

Early stage you usually get options and then later stage / post IPO RSUs are more common. Doesn't mean you can't issue NQSOs for a public company, just much more uncommon for non-exec positions.

Lots of people also (incorrectly) use the two terms interchangeably though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doghouse posted:

Is the ceiling really that high? For some reason I wad under the impression that it was a much lower ceiling

Engineer compensation is a very long-tailed distribution, and the right end is only available to people who are either very good at what they do and who are working in specific places.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Engineer compensation is a very long-tailed distribution, and the right end is only available to people who are either very good at what they do and who are working in specific places.
The most senior algorithmic trading people for companies like Goldman can pull that (though the ceiling in most of finance, even HFT, is closer to $600k). It's way harder in most of the industry without stock getting involved.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i know an ex-goldman programmer (and he was a programmer, not a quant) whose bonus was 17 mil one year

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

i know an ex-goldman programmer (and he was a programmer, not a quant) whose bonus was 17 mil one year

How many years would he have been in jail if he took the fall for whatever earned him that bonus?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The March Hare posted:

How many years would he have been in jail if he took the fall for whatever earned him that bonus?

For a white collar thing? :lol: I'm sure it's worth it

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

For a white collar thing? :lol: I'm sure it's worth it

Yeah, the answer is zero obviously I'm just wondering how he managed it.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
so I just got laid off and the prospect of finding a new job absolutely scares the poo poo out of me. I was at my last company for about 6 years and worked in .NET/C#. I feel like I don't know anything and am going to bomb any interview I go on. I worked on a small team and it was my first programming job. I eventually got promoted to a Senior there, but am super nervous applying to Senior level positions, again, because I think I'm going to bomb any interview.

I'm going to brush up on basic poo poo like data structures/algorithms/design patterns and all that, but is there anything else in particular I should know or start looking at? I've never had to interview for anything other than a complete entry level programming position, so I'm not really sure where to start in regard to what I should know if I apply for Senior positions.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

sausage king of Chicago posted:

I'm not really sure where to start in regard to what I should know if I apply for Senior positions.

In addition to the CS fundamentals and patterns you already mentioned, I'd prepare for questions about past projects, library/framework choices, architecture, etc. Basically, when I hire for SSE positions, I look for someone that has the experience to tell me *why* certain choices work or don't work. Here's an example of 2 open-ended questions I asked of SSEs last time I was hiring:

1. If you were to start a new C#.NET multi-tenant, internet-facing web app right now, what would you do in the first couple days? What libraries/Nuget packages, patterns/project structure, etc would you use?

2. What do you like/dislike about ORMs (EF, NHibernate, other) and when would you use one or maybe a micro ORM like Dapper?

I'm not sure how much you can study for these kinds of questions, as they are designed to suss out hard-won experience. However, make sure you are ready to code a FizzBuzz-type challenge. You'd be surprised how many candidates can talk a big game, but freeze when asked to code something simple.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you don't have much on your Github profile, I'd highly recommend putting a small project on there - anything at all, even a single-file project for all I know. At the very minimum you can demonstrate that you've at least heard of Github (you'd be surprised how many programmers are disconnected from the community) and that you might know how to use git.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

If you don't have much on your Github profile, I'd highly recommend putting a small project on there - anything at all, even a single-file project for all I know. At the very minimum you can demonstrate that you've at least heard of Github (you'd be surprised how many programmers are disconnected from the community) and that you might know how to use git.
Just don't be the guy who submitted a resume to my team recently whose GitHub account consisted of two single-sentence documentation fixes and thirty completely empty repositories. If he wanted to communicate that he aims high, gets great ideas for things and never, ever finishes them, mission accomplished!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Vulture Culture posted:

Just don't be the guy who submitted a resume to my team recently whose GitHub account consisted of two single-sentence documentation fixes and thirty completely empty repositories. If he wanted to communicate that he aims high, gets great ideas for things and never, ever finishes them, mission accomplished!

I don't have much on my github, but I don't advertise it either. Mostly my dotfiles.

Lol at any company that expects me to have a large open source presence when they won't be paying me to work in open source.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

about 6 years on a small team and it was my first programming job

You probably don't want to hear it, but you may well not be considered senior level by many other companies because that's just a title, after all. Don't be too proud to not apply to mid-level roles - especially if they're at companies you'd actually like to work for because you could grow into whatever they consider senior to be in time

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I eventually got promoted to a Senior there, but am super nervous applying to Senior level positions, again, because I think I'm going to bomb any interview.

One thing I found helped when I went towards management for a while and then back to technical is keeping in mind that there's no overarching network of job interviewers who share notes on the people they've interviewed. If you bomb an interview it has zero impact on your ability in other interviews except in your own mind, so applying to a few to calibrate where other people think you fit is no bad thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arachnamus posted:

One thing I found helped when I went towards management for a while and then back to technical is keeping in mind that there's no overarching network of job interviewers who share notes on the people they've interviewed. If you bomb an interview it has zero impact on your ability in other interviews except in your own mind, so applying to a few to calibrate where other people think you fit is no bad thing.

The other side of that is that completely bombing an interview doesn't even mean that that company won't ever interview you again. Unless you did something on the level of literally making GBS threads on somebody's desk they probably won't even remember you before long. Plus things change. They might have decided that they just plain didn't need anybody but four months later land a big contract that they need like 20 new people for and gently caress...do you still have that stack of resumes?

You never know, they might even need a desk shitter then think back "hey you remember that guy that poo poo on your desk?"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good to see that Chuck C Johnson will always have employment opportunity, somewhere.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other side of that is that completely bombing an interview doesn't even mean that that company won't ever interview you again. Unless you did something on the level of literally making GBS threads on somebody's desk they probably won't even remember you before long. Plus things change. They might have decided that they just plain didn't need anybody but four months later land a big contract that they need like 20 new people for and gently caress...do you still have that stack of resumes?

Yeah absolutely agree with this, both on the "trying again" side and also the change in demand. You might be #3 for two positions in May, and #3 for five positions in July.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I guess I'll ask this here first before I head to BFC...I'm drawing a complete blank on what you call the document that I've seen some freelancers use wherein an on-going client has a contract of sorts where it lists all the stuff that doesn't change from job to job. Then for each job they just sign a short thing describing the job that doesn't include all the boilerplate-ish stuff like warranty terms, licensing, etc.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thermopyle posted:

I guess I'll ask this here first before I head to BFC...I'm drawing a complete blank on what you call the document that I've seen some freelancers use wherein an on-going client has a contract of sorts where it lists all the stuff that doesn't change from job to job. Then for each job they just sign a short thing describing the job that doesn't include all the boilerplate-ish stuff like warranty terms, licensing, etc.

Like a base contract with addendums?

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Sounds like a standard statement of work that references back to the terms of the original contract. When I did some consulting work for a multi-national some 10 years ago or so, I got the boilerplate contract, NDA, and initial SOW signed and approved to get me in the system as a vendor. Then, for each work period or specific set of tasks after that, I just presented another itemized SOW that had the tasks and timeframe laid out in it. Each SOW had a sentence or two at the end that stated that the existing work, licensing, and payment terms of the SOW were per the initial vendor contract.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hendersa posted:

Sounds like a standard statement of work

Also called a "schedule".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Arachnamus posted:

Also called a "schedule".

Under US contract law, "statement of work" means more than just a schedule. From the legal standpoint, it is an addendum to the original contract (like leper khan mentioned). Thermopyle asked what this type of document is called, so... there you go.