Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Anyone work in Berlin (or Germany in general)? I'm planning on moving there later this year and my German isn't up to a business level. Are there tech companies that conduct their business in English or am I going to be better off looking for remote / freelance work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

ask for extra PTO instead and use it to look for a job

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

This may be not exactly the place to ask, but I'm old and I need career-related advice so here goes:

Back in December I made a rather E/N post here. The tl;dr is that I want to get the hell out of my country and I was considering emigrating to Europe since I've heard/read that they're looking for devs in quite a few places.

The two countries I was considering were Germany (Berlin) and The Netherlands (Amsterdam or Hage?) back in December I got some advice from Keetron, who is based in Netherlands -thanks again for that- and I kinda wanted to settle on one to start taking language lessons, but then it occured to me I only considered those because it's what I've heard people mention as good locations for devs, but is there somewhere else in Europe that I should be looking into? Any particular recommendation between Germany and Netherlands for dev-based work?

This is all from a "going to take a plane to the country then look for work once I'm there and hope someone sponsors me for a visa" perspective. Yeah, I know. I don't like it either but I'm working with what I have. :(

tl;dr: Want to emigrate to Europe as a (rather lovely but trying to get better) dev. Where do I go.

I lived in Berlin for a year and consider it the best thing I've ever done in my life - it really is a wonderful city. I got a lot of interviews pretty easily, and although I managed to become conversational in German by the time I left, that isn't easy - English is spoken in the city center to such an extent that it's actually difficult to practice German. Can't speak to the Netherlands because I've never worked there.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I've got a junior developer on my team that I'm mentoring, and one of the areas that he needs a lot of work is using a POSIX-ish system. He's not comfortable on the command line, doesn't know basic utilities like ls, and is entirely unfamiliar with things like the unix permissions model. I remember this being a big obstacle for me when I was at the same stage in his career. At the time I looked for books that I could read, but couldn't find much, and while I eventually picked it up by osmosis I would like to be able to point him to something more systematic rather than just sitting next to him and telling him which flags to use. Can anyone recommend a book or a course or something that might give someone fresh from school a general introduction to how to use a unix-like system?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks, folks, a lot of these look like good starting places.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

gbut posted:

To continue the theme, are there any devs from EU in this thread?

The wifey and I are considering moving there at some point, and I'm a citizen so no visa needs (she could apply for residency through me). We were considering London for a bit (my company has an office there and it would be easy to jump) but then Break-shite happened. And then Corona. So, no thanks. Another option we looked vaguely into were Berlin (I know, I know,..., but I still like the idea), coastal Portugal like Porto or Lisbon (probably a big cultural and language barrier to start our lives over, but friends who visited/lived there love it), and Dublin-ish (closest to where we wanna go culturaly, language, wife spent a lot of time there) but were a bit discouraged by real estate prices there.

Of course, all of these considerations are post-vaccine. Not moving anywhere until I can peek at least 5 years into the future.

All and any info on any of those would be great, if you have it. I'm genuinely curious about my (currently) pies in the sky.

I moved to Berlin after about 2.5 years of working in the industry; this was 2017. I got a lot of interest, and two quick offers for around €45k, which is significantly less than I'm making now, and I'm not sure how typical it is. the benefits all seemed great for someone coming from Canada. the lifestyle is great, although it's almost impossible to find a place when you arrive. I dunno, anything specific you want to know?

e: should specify that I moved back to Canada. I'm making more now, not in Berlin.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I don't immediately know what you're referring to. I got the job I took through a personal reference but I was also offered another job with no prior connection.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I turned down an offer once in large part because an interviewer was such a prick during lunch so I guess it cuts both ways

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jan posted:

How commonplace is it to have your offer/contract inspected by an attorney before signing? i.e.: to check for any squirelly stuff like non-compete clauses or the like. I've never done it so far and I'm sure I have no reason to expect it from this potential offer, but two different programmers I've talked to mention they still run any new contract by a lawyer.

If I should be doing so, how would I go about finding a decent attorney for California labour laws? The easy solution of googling it just seems to yield a bunch of lawsuit happy, ambulance chaser style law offices.

I had a lawyer look at the first programming job agreement I signed, tell me to get a couple of things changed, and asked for them. all my requests were rejected and I signed anyway, so for me it was basically 300 bucks lit on fire.

I have a more established career now and might have more clout to ask for alterations, and 300 bucks isn't a lot of money at this point in my career. I would probably do it again if I saw something in a contract I didn't recognize.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

changing the interview based on where the applicant is from would be more effort and potentially discriminatory, I wouldn't expect it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the downside of that strategy is that you could leave money on the table if you don't know as much as you think, which could be the case for a billion different reasons. what's the upside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if you are young enough there are a bunch of EU countries with "youth mobility visas" that will allow you to move for a year or two without securing a job first. Most of them are available to people under 30, and some for people under 35.