Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Yeah that's what made me reluctant to go for a manager role as well, I don't think I'd be satisfied with no coding, or very little coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I successfully applied for a role just last week where they asked very few technical questions and instead asked for examples of problems I'd solved, mistakes I had made and how I fixed them, etc. I thought that was a pretty good approach, although I was sure I'd bombed the interview and then they hired me almost immediately after.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Volguus posted:

Now they're coming around so maybe in 10 years .NET will catch up to Java.

Uh, I'm late on this, but this is a joke right?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

Me and my coworker wistfully wishing we were using Maven and not NuGet while enjoying many C# language features agree with this.

I'm not trying to talk about something I don't understand, I'll freely admit I have no idea what Java has to offer in this regard. But can you explain what .NET is lacking, specifically? I've not really had an issue in the last couple years or so. NuGet is sometimes flawed but ecosystem wise I feel like there's always been a library out there for whatever I've needed. Again though, it's just my experience, people working on different types of software probably have different experiences.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Do none of you guys use task tracking tools like VSTS or JIRA etc? I just leave a comment on the open case if something is important enough to note.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

genki posted:

I use a combination of a work notebook and tracking tools. The tracking tools are great for items related to the work I'm doing, and the notebook is more like a todo list where I can list out the basic items I'd like to accomplish for the day (and sketch out things that I might need to visualize and/or take notes or whatever).

Generally I like writing things down. A nice notebook and a nice pen are just part of my workflow now.

Oh I get it, yeah makes sense. I use a notepad for that stuff too.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Oh god, yeah quick diagramming is one thing that pen and paper can't be beat for.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

unless you buy an iPad Pro

There are much better ways to waste money.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

geeves posted:

So my coworker has pretty much grown his own family tree of old subordinates over the last few months (quick note: 2 have been here for 2.5 years). He's only brought in 4 people over the last three months to interview and pretty much made it clear he was only interested in hiring people he's managed before. He's brought in zero female candidates saying they weren't qualified enough, this is even after I audited their code and resume.

Then he brings in this Skeletor-looking nutsack this week. We actually interviewed this travesty of a human 3 years ago and there were red flags galore. We actually interviewed him for my coworker's position and he couldn't pass a simple code test. It wasn't anything major, we gave him a Fibonacci problem. He sat there for 5 minutes, in complete silence staring at the screen, even after we asked him what he was stuck on, etc. and said, "Let's work on this together and figure it out." Then he just pushed the laptop away and said, "I pass."

This week, I gave him a different problem - still just as simple - and the amount of handholding my boss and I had to do to get him through 15 lines of code was astounding. He has 13+ years of experience. The rest of the interview he sat around like he already had the job. Overall it was a very weird and awkward hour.

It gets better.

Two VPs interviewed him - just quick 15-minute meet and greets - and he told one of them that he had anger issues in the past.

I actually knew this as my coworker and two other members of his tree joked about this guy and his anger issues.

Coworker replied to the VP and said, "Yes, I actually fired him for that in the past because he blew up on somebody. But he's worked on it and is okay now."

Everyone but my coworker was uneasy about this guy, but yet he gets an offer. What the gently caress. I know we've had it rough finding talent in the city, but to slum it like this.

Basically everyone was overruled and the offer went out. gently caress. He has 13 years of experience and is getting an offer as a junior dev.

We're still a small team and we've had a couple of bad employees already over the years (that we got rid of thankfully). Hopefully he won't pass the background check.

Jesus christ what a nightmare. My condolences mate.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Cirofren posted:

Mongo can do some neat stuff with location data, it has built in geospatial queries that can return locations inside a boundary or on an intersect.

Saved me a lot of time on a toy project. I'm no db expert though, is there a better query engine I could be using for locations?

When I read your question I thought "I bet there's something for postgres that'll do that" and found this: https://postgis.net/

No idea if it's any good though, I'm afraid. That's a pretty great thing to be able to do though, it's never occurred to me before because I haven't needed to in my particular work.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

The problem with housing is not your fault, it is the fault of capitalism and the bourgeoisie. It is, however, compounded by software engineers rarely being paid in proportion to the revenue and savings we generate for our companies. When we make fixes and changes that land our companies $200k/mo deals and we get shafted on our salaries and bonuses, then we’re effectively being conspired against to keep our wages low.

In a just world, we would be paid in proportion to what we generate.

This is really dumb. Every job in existence could make the same argument and it will always be stupid. The money a software company makes is a product of the efforts of the whole team. Without marketers you'd have no customers, without CEOs you'd have no investors, without support staff you'd lose customers as soon as they have an issue, without janitors the work environment would be a nightmare, without payroll staff you'd never actually get paid at all, etc, etc.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I was saying Pollyanna's attitude was stupid, and it is. But yes capitalism is also stupid in a great number of ways. I'm not sure I really understand what you were trying to "zing" me with here.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I just mean someone has to do the whole "run around and generate buzz for the product to raise capital" thing. I think if you're focused on that specific part of what I said you've missed the point.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm more contesting the idea that society needs corporate overlords

So replace CEO with whichever term for "the person leading the business" is acceptable to you. Like I said, you missed the point entirely.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I've been forced to confront this question in the last week. I started a job a couple months ago as a senior developer and my eventual goal was to work toward a team lead position, either here or somewhere else. I figured that would have kept me busy for a couple years. I just got promoted to team lead and I'm freaking out a little. I don't know what I want from here. I'm happy to stay here for a few years, but I know myself and I know I'll want something "more" after that. I'm kind of hooked on advancement I guess?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I got my itinerary for my (first) on-site Friday. 1 hour of coding, 1 hour of design, 1 hour of culture fit and.... 1 hour dedicated to SQL it seems???? Not a single bullet from three jobs over the past 5 years lists anything at all SQL related, I don't even have it on my list of skills anymore after bombing 2 entirely SQL interviews last go around.

Why the gently caress are companies this braindead when it comes to recruiting and hiring?

Relax, they probably just do some work with SQL and want to assess each applicant's general proficiency in it. Did the job ad fail to mention SQL proficiency?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It wasn't in either of the job ads for the two teams I'm up for which is why I'm so perplexed. As a matter of fact I just went back and it specifically says "and usage of NoSQL type databases", of which I've used many.

Hmm maybe it's NoSQL that the fourth session is about and not SQL? Dunno - but if it is about SQL and the job ad said nothing about it then yeah I'd be perplexed too.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I've never been asked any of those weird algo questions in an interview before, and I'd probably not be very enthusiastic about a company that used them. Not to say it would be an immediate red flag, I'd put it in context of the rest of the interview process, but when I think of the employees I'm going to potentially work with and I picture a whole bunch of people who memorised algo trivia for the interview I'm less than enthused.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

asur posted:

It's far more likely that you're working with people who have good CS fundamentals. It's pretty obvious if someone has memorized a solution versus understanding it and that tends to get you rejected. My personal experience, based on two companies who had tribal questions and two companies with algorithm based questions, is that it weeds out the people who can't code, bottom 50, and leaves you with an above average workforce which leads to a much more productive work environment.

Also everyone focuses on the odd questions, about tries, red black trees, whatever, but you're far more likely to get questions around hashmaps, graphs, and generic or binary search trees.

But if you're testing their understanding of the concepts surely there are much better ways to assess that than relying on esoteric knowledge that even a candidate WITH a good understanding of the underlying concepts may not possess. Like, actually asking them questions about the underlying concepts instead of asking them to recite algorithms.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah I'm at a job that I otherwise quite like, but considering looking elsewhere because of the amount of out of hours stuff I've had to do so far just to keep up with demands from upper management. I'm feeling kind of trapped though because I moved here from a job that I'd only been in for 9 months, so leaving this one at the 6 month mark is going to have a pretty nasty impact on my resume I think.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Earnings "potential" is the language they use when they're talking about bonuses that you theoretically could get but aren't guaranteed. And yes, it's a red flag because you have no idea how realistic the criteria for the bonuses are.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Keetron posted:

"I am not experienced enough in this sprint thing to comment on it."
But actually I think your manager wants to hear you don't like it so he can kill it and go back to a process he understands.

Questions like this during one-on-ones are totally by the book there's no reason to assume some dastardly ulterior motive. Why is everyone so drat cynical?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

School of How posted:

I experienced a handful of companies that made me perform some lengthy take home project, only to end up not offering me the job, despite me completing the take home exactly as they wanted it. SInce then I've developed the habit of asking "If I complete this take home project exactly as it's described, will you guarantee me with 100% certainty that you'll offer me a job" when asked to do a homework project. So far, literally 100% of the time I ask this, the answer is always "No". If the programmers were truly scarce, then the answer would always be "Yes, if you complete the take home project, then we'll definitely offer you a job"

Take home tasks are not like quiz questions, you don't just get it right or wrong. You complete them with varying degrees of competency and the person who appears most competent will (maybe, when factoring in everything else) get the job. I don't understand why you thought this, I mean what do you think happens when multiple applicants get the take home task "technically correct"?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

School of How posted:

The only logical explanation is oversaturation. From 2010-2012 I received a total of 8 job offers. These were all without whiteboard interviews or take home projects. Since 2013 I've received a total of one job offer. Yet I've interviewed more times than I can count. A lot of those "rejections" come after I refuse to do the whiteboard or take home project. Many of them come without any explanation. Back in 2010-2012 I was rejected too, but not nearly as often, and it was always after I bombed the interview or some other explainable reason.

I would ask the person to explain what each project does, and why they decided to build it and why they stopped working on it. I would cross-check their answers to the code I see on the repository. Using this process, if someone is a fake developer, it'll be blatantly obvious.

Everyone is beating around the bush, but it's because you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Cancelbot posted:

To keep things on track. Should I tell my boss at all about this?

You can't ask other people this. More precisely, if you need to ask other people this, the answer is "don't tell your boss". At my last job my boss and I became great friends so I had no problem giving him a bit of a heads up and he kept it private and we're still friends now. If you're unsure at all, then don't do it, you can only trust your own gut on this.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Cancelbot posted:

Thanks for the replies! Yeah my gut was not to so I went with that. I realise its a dumbass question to ask but I have been burned hard by "surprising" someone by handing my notice in as well. I don't owe my employer a drat thing but I like to be nice to the people I work with; yet they're not compatible feelings.

It's not a dumbass question. It's all well and good to try to be all robotic about your work relationships but in the real world humans make connections and emotions exist and it's totally understandable to feel bad about leaving a boss in the lurch when they're not the reason you're leaving. I don't really get the totally adversarial approach this thread often takes toward colleagues and superiors.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 14, 2019

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

FMguru posted:

Yeah, you can be friendly with management, but you can't ever really be friends.

Again, this not an absolute certainty, I have remained good friends with every boss I've had.

Edit: maybe it's a cultural thing, I'm from Australia

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

sunaurus posted:

Do you guys think that the junior-mid-senior scale is going to be changing (in an actually noticable way) at some point in the future? The idea that somebody with 5 years of experience is a "senior developer" in a whole lot of companies is totally nuts.

How many years should it be? Or are you suggesting more that there should some other measure instead of just time? I'm with you there

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

sunaurus posted:

I don't know what the measure should be, I don't even really care about what actual titles people use, I'm just a bit confused at how the scale can be so short (at least at every place I've ever worked and most places I've ever interviewed at) that you reach the "highest level" after just 5 years as a professional.

Senior developer is definitely not the highest level, but I get what you're saying now, thanks for clarifying. I think it really depends where you work, as others have said. Senior developer often just means "knows the code base well and can be somewhat of a go-to guy for the team". Lead/Principle Developer I think is usually more distinctly different role-wise and I think would usually require longer than 5 years. You make more decisions on behalf of the team and you guide the technical aspects more.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

rsjr posted:

There are some developers who will never make senior, regardless of their years on the job.

Hell, one guy I had on my previous team will never even graduate from junior level, imo.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I definitely feel myself creeping towards the latter. Its hard to stay enthusiastic about programming when you do it 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I'm not starting to dislike my job or anything, but when I get home I find myself wanting to do anything as long as its not programmer related.

I don't think he was talking about people like you, that's pretty normal behaviour. He was talking about people who refuse to try anything new at work or refuse to do something outside their comfort zone for fear that they might actually learn something new.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Where do you people work where you can just arbitrarily decide to include new libraries/frameworks into your products?? If I told my boss I was going to add <whatever latest hot JS library> for some new feature we're adding I'd 100% get a very cockeyed look, then be told QA doesn't have the time to test such a thing enough. I'm all for trying to write better code, but that seems like the extent of my "control" over my own personal development while at work.

My comments were more about working on areas of the code base you're not necessarily familiar with. One example is a guy that was on my team who did backend stuff, C# etc. He kept saying in our one-on-ones that he was keen to gain some familiarity with front end stuff. So I would occasionally try to hand him some minor task and say "feel free to ask the front end devs if you're unsure of anything and they'll help you out". His response was always the same: "Oh.. I don't think I'm the best person for that job." No, you're not, but neither was anyone else UNTIL THEY LEARNED TO BE.

And it was the same with any concept that was new to him, he just outright rejected it because he didn't want to do or learn anything new.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

School of How posted:

Code is not something that inherently has to be "maintained". It's not like a sports car that will have parts wear out and need to be replaced.

My favorite example is Super Mario Bros. for the NES. That game was first released in 1985, and the code hasn't changed one bit since then. And yet the game still works perfectly fine today as it did 50 years ago. It doesn't really matter if the code for SMB is "maintainable" or not because it doesn't need maintenance.

SMB took at least a couple of years to be built, during which time many developers had to work together and fix bugs in each other's code. That is maintenance.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

School of How posted:

In general to figure out how working code works, I suggest putting print statements before and after a function call to see what data is going into the function, and then comes out. From there you can sort of backwards engineer what's going on inside the function.

Haha oh wow.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Please Don't Reply To How.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

pokeyman posted:

In the Repositories tab on someone's profile, choose Type: Sources.

Forgot about pinned though, that’s a much better idea.

Oh man, thank you!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Since we're talking about home ergonomics: does anybody have a recommendation for an adjustable desk conversion? My home office is at a slightly elevated height since my wife kind of thought stools were more office-like. She's had to concede that it hasn't helped with my teres minor liking to get inflamed and pissed. So I am going to be dismantling the built-in desk here to make it free-floating. I wanted to get a kit to move it up and down. I'll also have to replace the chair since it's stool height--and it's also kind of falling apart.

I was figuring that I didn't need to splurge on electric motors and could do with a manual cranked one since I don't move between settings too often, but I haven't used a manual one and they might be poo poo.

I mean, I know it's all by the by, but who on earth thinks stools are "more office like"? Is this a US thing? Do Americans work on stools?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

I just want to make sure I understand your implication correctly. You're suggesting that a good candidate, who did well in the interview, who the company wants to hire, and who probably has multiple competing offers, is going to be lowballed because of a reference check. And the reason this reference check is necessary to even do instead of just lowballing is so the person making the offer can neg the candidate, someone they want to come work at the company, about the reference check being why they aren't worth more. Is that accurate, or do you have a different play-by-play in your head of how this situation goes down?

You are so out of touch.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

The Fool posted:

The CEO also registered the trademark for ‘We’ and then licensed it back to the company.

This was my favourite tidbit from the whole thing. It's just so blatant and shameless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

taqueso posted:

And people invested in that. Apparently I need to start a bullshit company.

Well look at Uber and Netflix, still unprofitable and still valued at billions and billions of dollars. Although I feel like that's through deliberate action/strategy rather than incompetence, but still it'll end the same way.