Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are most recruiting agencies staffed with people who have no clue how to follow up with you? Email goes unanswered for more than 24 hours, no status update phone calls the day after you expect news to have come in...

This recruiter brings me an offer with a huge company that I feel like I’m a strong candidate for and actually want to work for, but staying in touch with them has been less than optimal. I’m sincerely doubtful they’re able to put up a strong offensive with the employer when they can’t even keep timely lines of communication open with me.

to;dr: I think the phrase I’m looking for is, “managing expectations.” Most agency recruiters I’ve worked with are just terrible at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So then what’s etiquette for applying to a job if I get fed up working with recruiters? Is it taboo to submit directly through a company’s job site when I inevitably find the same job listing the recruiter presented me? I’m trying to network my resume in past the resume scanners but I might have to go through regular channels anyway. Not just this particular job posting but in general I just don’t want to tank my chances for a position because I “applied to the same job twice”.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have a question about taking a contract position as a means of eventually getting a full-time position with a larger organization. Is it wise to pursue a contract position with the hopes that I might be able to convince someone on the inside to eventually advocate to bring me on full-time? Or should I instead pursue full-time employment by applying for jobs that are actually full-time?

Getting a bit more specific, I want to work for Disney as I think it's a stable company with a huge range of growth opportunities. Right now I'm at various stages of a couple of contract opportunities through a recruiter. It seems like the quickest way to get to produce work for Disney, but keeping my ultimate goal of working for Disney, I don't want to get my hopes up that I could sweet-talk my way to a permanent position once I get my foot in the door, so to speak. I've traditionally shied away from contractor gigs preferring the stability of full-time positions, though, and so I'm not really sure how things work when you're working with a set deadline.