Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Hi, I'm a full stack developer in the DC area. My biggest strength is the back end, and turning user wants into requirements, and requirements into business logic. My weakness is probably not being modern enough in the front end and application layer.

My current job I like the people and work a lot, but I feel like the company culture is very "cheap," I have multiple issues with my compensation.

My question is how do I begin looking? I know once my resume is "out there" again the recruiters will descend like locusts.

Tentatively my plan is go up on dice.com, use hired.com, and apply to a few companies directly all simultaneously. I don't want to be exclusive with one group of recruiters.

I want to do this in an orderly fashion, I don't want to miss the right job for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Hired.com I washed out for some reason. They seem pretty opaque with their process, I spent at least an hour on my profile.

I got a call from a recruiter that has some promise. Downsides are: Spring MVC I dislike, and it's right between Chinatown and Metro Center in DC, I want something where driving and parking is a bit more feasible.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is Shirlington to Tyson's Corner a manageable commute?

I do internal webapps for a publicly traded telecom and now I'm being recruited to do something very similar at another similar company.

Does that sound like a lateral move? I'm telling myself I would only do it for a huge raise. It's primarily PHP though, which is nice. Kinda over Java.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What does it mean if a job description plays up "System Integrations". The position title is Backend Software Engineer. I consider myself a full stack developer with the best skill on the backend. Wondering if the integration language is a red flag.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I've been working at the same job since 2012. 35 years old. Living in the DC area. I do in-house webapps fullstack in the telecommunications industry. A lot of SQL. I generally like my job but feel slightly underpaid. Making $105k plus some occasional <$10k stock grants. Get a grand and change raise per year. Great work life balance, pretty chill, been home bc of Covid. Like my boss.

My wife really got on me to do something that earns more money. Housing and kids are expensive. Thing is I don't know where I want to work. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do gov't consulting. Newest stack I worked on was Larvael PHP and VueJS, very modern SPA JS front end. Only part of my job is working with brand new tech though, lot of supporting legacy things.

Am I underpaid? Should I buck up and start putting myself out there? Wife does have a point. What are the good job boards these days? In the past I liked Stack Overflow. Interviewed a bit in the past but nothing came of it. Would Amazon be a bad fit?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

tortilla_chip posted:

I would check out levels.fyi

This looks way better than the sites I was using to look at averages, thanks.

Looks like the past 4 yearly raises were about $2k. Still not great.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What are the primo job sites? I remember dice was full of junk, indeed kind of in between, stack overflow good. How about hired.com and the other do-it-for-you shops?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 17, 2020

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Still making $107k in DC area with 14 years at it and wanting more money but being real happy with my job otherwise. Scrubbed out on an interview at Capitol One which was I guess was FAANG style. Never got any constructive criticism on that one just a rejection which was annoying. Kind of like the financial sphere for where to work next. Just got a bite from a Facebook recruiter. Any specific advice there? The high compensation they offer and ability to use my PHP skills some seems like a positive. If it gets down to it just ask for $150k? I think that's what they pay senior devs.

I used my wife's mac laptop with the built in camera for the Capitol One interview. I think I may do the webcam thing. It was annoying not being on my familiar computer doing the hacker rank coding challenges.

Annoyed most of the job board postings don't put salary ranges up.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 19, 2021

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Did you pass the Capital One take home?

I did an interview with them last cycle and the process was take home that was like 2 LeetCode Medium/Hards (not Googleable) in a 24 hour span, then 1 coding, 1 design, 1 behavioral, 1 "case study" (this was loving awful tbh) in the in-person. Got bounced because of the "case study". It was basically debugging some poorly written Java on a pen and paper.

They pay fairly well, there are some cool teams there (almost my whole old team went there) but I wouldn't be too upset, it's nothing groundbreaking.

Yea Capital One initial code test by myself 2 problems was fine. The live coding one with the person I passed in the time period with some hints. They never told me which one if any of the interview sections contributed to the rejection. It's all good.

In regards to Facebook and the 150k I honestly wasn't trolling.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 20, 2021

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Scrubbed out on Facebook tech interview. Question one was binary trees, question two was about random numbers and producing proportionate results over continued runs. Feel like I was close though. Didn't do massive studying but at least I had brushed up on binary trees.

Different company they loved tech, didn't advance because they think I wouldn't do well with ill defined requirements/cross team/non technical people. Feel like they really misread me i do that all the time, think it's one of my strengths Perhaps I need to better tool my responses.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If I'm making $107k with 14 years experience, maybe 6+ a newer stack, DC area. I get job hits for $130k but I feel like that is maybe low I should set my goal higher like $150k. What do you think? A $23k pay raise is like an extra $1k per pay period, that's still something though.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Guinness posted:

With that much experience and in a high COL city I’d aim for like 160-180k salary these days. And a lot of stock on top of that if applicable.

Where can I find these positions without just applying to FAANG? I scrubbed out on the Facebook algorithm draw. Could try again. I know they're out there. I don't want to do clearance work. But maybe could. Which gov't contractor company pays the most? I still see indeed or linkedin hits for $100k and the word junior not even on it. It's like are you kidding me?

I just got back in the job hunting game after taking a break and my first recruiter chat he says $130k.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 17, 2021

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What are some good resources out there for former Java developers who wanna get back into the language but are a bit out of date? Say version 7 (2011) is the starting point. I use it at work but all more legacy apps. Got a decent opportunity coming up that I think would need me to step it a bit there.

Worth learning Spring Boot? I remember regular Spring. Remember not liking it and the xml thingys.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's the best way to "start" with Amazon? I went ahead and used the hired.com lead. Had a bunch of linkedin messages too. Feel like they have too many postings for me to pick one and apply myself. I know the usual caveats on them having a really bad work-life balance I'm just keeping my search broad.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Man I gotta give up being a primarily php developer. The pay I'm seeing out there is just peanuts. Kinda sad, I like laravel, like the query builder for SQL. I know other tech so I'm not totally lost.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 30, 2021

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I did an intro google interview pretty "cold". Actually went pretty well. I think mistake I made was being precious about my working solution in the optimization stage. That's how I would work in real life, iterate and carefully make sure optimization doesn't throw out the correctness I already established. In retrospect I feel like that's not what the situation called for. The final opt-zation was very pseudo-code high level at the end of the 45 minute allotment but I spoke to it well.

Question was basically this but with int rounding/modulo built in.
https://leetcode.com/problems/minimum-speed-to-arrive-on-time/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I finally am getting a job offer! I gotta credit this thread for helping motivate me to get out there. $107k->$140k. Small-ish company in the logistics field. WFH but also local to me. PHP/Laravel which I like writing but exposure to React, react native, cloud tech, Git (we use svn and our own servers/sysadmins). I know the usual PHP warning but it is what it is.

Right now my plan is to accept it if LinkedIn and Google both fail. I know it's not insane money but I feel like it's a good change opportunity been with my current company 9 years. Can always look again in a few years and be in a better position.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Definitely Amazon recruiter spam super picked up. In May I actually was trying to find a recruiter myself, initiate contact. Now they're everywhere.

Now that my job search is ending one thing that aggravates me is not everyone uses calendar invites for interviews, such an easy and good best practice.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My virtual onsite with Google I had 1 system design, 3 algo, 1 behavioral 45 min each. If I bombed 1 of the algo but did good-great on the other 4 do I have any chance?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I work mainly with PHP/Laravel and I do enjoy working on it. But I kinda want to diversify and earn more money. Should I learn Go or Python? Have a tiny bit of Python experience writing some AWS Lambda scripts. Earlier in my career was Java, still have a strong foundation there.

I do see purely PHP postings sometimes that are in the mid to high 100's in comp for senior but there are def less of them.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Achmed Jones posted:

the idea of learning a language just because is foreign to me these days, i wouldnt learn either until you have a job or project for which it'd be a good fit

for juniors, sure, learn a little about different programming paradigms or whatever, get more experience, blah blah blah. but you already have experience with plangs and normal languages, neither go nor python is going to teach you anything that meaningful other than the idiosyncrasies of the particular languages in question. youre probably not going to self-study-for-funsies your way to professional competency in either of them unless you're doing a meaningful project in them (in which case you have a 'job or project...' and the above advice holds true)

Yes that's probably the most realistic answer, thanks! Good food for thought. This thread helped me change jobs Sept 2021, I'm contemplating looking again, but things aren't that bad.

One thing I do miss about Java was the nice debugging.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 5, 2023

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How does the modern Java stack do the SQL? I work with Laravel and I enjoy working with Eloquent/Query Builder. Back in the day I did Hibernate, MyBatis, etc. Always sort of thinking of getting back into Java development.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Are Cyber Coders job listings in LinkedIn legit? Some of them look enticing. Feel like they are less likely to move forward somehow. Also they don't say the company name of course.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got put on a PIP beginning of March, I thought I had really turned it around crushed it last month, turns out I'm fired anyway. Really sucks. Backend dev, PHP, Laravel, AWS, some full stack experience JS/Vue, Java, really solid on SQL if anybody is looking.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Getting back into Java. Why create an interface and an Impl class where it's just 1:1 and you don't even implement the interface a second time? Always drove me nuts back in the day, seemed so stupid. Is there a way to get my IDE (VSCode) to go to the actual impl of the method? Getting this on a take home assignment.

Seeing @Autowired a lot and then the ability to use the methods non-statically. Why is this better than just a static method? Like a service class that holds no state itself.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 19, 2023

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Blinkz0rz posted:

In spring and other bean-heavy frameworks it’s a lot easier to just @Autowire an interface with a single impl bean registration than it is to instantiate and pass around instances of the impl.

Oh yeah I just asked about autowired above. You can autowire a class instead though, yeah? And skip the 1:1 interface:class part?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I have ADHD and I never check yes on disability. Just because I read it once and it wasn't on there.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got fired Monday April 10, just got my first offer on Friday. Contract to hire at a large financial firm at $75 an hour. Basically lateral money-wise. I need to take what I can get, it's a tough market. If something better comes along during the 2 week in-between time I should take it instead, right?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My brand new job is doing contracting work in Java. Best I could find right off. Talking another dev I asked how they do local dev, what server setup? He said they don't really, they just maven build and send it off to AWS developer instance with cli, cp, S3, etc.

Sounds bad to me? Am I wrong in this? How could you even do breakpoints and such which is one of the best parts of working with the language?

Maybe I overreacted and this is somewhat typical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Yea with php I never got xdebug going, it was more old style dump and die, print, log, etc. If I'm gonna be on Java I want to get back to proper debugging. Also no localhost seems like you miss some of the speed and ease factor. We'll see!