Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Curious what you guys suggest looking out for when interviewing with startups? I hear lots of mixed stories and anecdotes about them, to the point it's hard to know what to think :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Coming on 6 years of experience does that qualify me as an oldie yet? :haw:

Only 30 to go :negative:

How long do you keep old jobs on your resume and when do you start relaxing the 1 page resume rule? I assume always keep education hidden away somewhere? Struggling to get everything on one page...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

piratepilates posted:

Also hired.com is very great and you should try it.

Related to these types of companies, do you feel like you received a lot of competitive offers and/or from interesting companies? Did you aim high or about market as told by glassdoor etc.?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thanks for the replies folks!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Volguus posted:

That's a load of bullshit. Windows by itself doesn't run in a VM (hyper-v, pass trough or not) . I looked and you are completely wrong. Yes, you can install and start the hyper-v subsystem which will enable you to install other VMs on the OS and prevent you from installing other virtualization technologies but the main OS runs on the real hardware. It would be insane and fantastically stupid to do it otherwise. Virtualization brings certain abilities to the table that otherwise wouldn't be available, but there is (and always will be) a price to pay for them. If the price is worth it or not ... that's for the individual or task to determine.

A build server that builds poo poo overnight is a perfect candidate. A daily development machine isn't. Some however, make do, and that's fine. Imposing that idiocy on others isn't fine though.

I mean you're half wrong and half right, but being weirdly hostile about it?

Microsoft posted:

In addition, if you have Hyper-V enabled, those latency-sensitive, high-precision applications may also have issues running in the host. This is because with virtualization enabled, the host OS also runs on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, just as guest operating systems do. However, unlike guests, the host OS is special in that it has direct access to all the hardware, which means that applications with special hardware requirements can still run without issues in the host OS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...-windows-server

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Can I get some critiques on my resume? Some of the wording in my current job feels a little weird but I'm not sure how else to covey some of the information.

Also can't decide if I should shrink it to one page, beef up the current job a bit to make two pages more appreciable, or leave it as is (since it's the start of a new own section, and it's mostly the buzzword filter).

Thanks!

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 6, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've only read this bit but it seems fine, notwithstanding the slightly strange "; as well as," in the last point.

I think you did a good job of distinguishing your style of devops from the buzzword style, it's a contentious topic among teams.

Thanks!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My impression of all the "talk with HR" suggestions was that it should be in addition to looking for new employment. If you need to talk to HR about that (the general issue of poo poo management) I arbitrarily feel you have a 50/50 of getting fired vs. positive outcome so it's a given that you should have a backup in place and it as a last resort. If it works out, great and choose to stay, If it doesn't, hopefully you already have another job on the line or are close to a replacement.

I think specifically in your case it sounds like your odds are (were) better to have hr do something but the alternative is still a very real possibility.

I don't know why you're purposely butting heads now, but it sounds like from how you've described everything you're setting yourself up to get fired. I think you're choice now is continue to talk to HR in which case you'll probably get fired (he's going to know who complained or at the least assume it is you) but possibly make things better for your coworkers, or just drop everything and smile and make this rear end in a top hat happy for as long as you can.

Either way you need to be actively looking for new employment.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 4, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Good Will Hrunting posted:

it's a highlight during otherwise dull days.

Same, please don't stop :f5:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So how do y'all handle job applications to huge companies with a dozen job openings that interest you? Pick one and hope for the best or apply to ones obviously in different orgs or go whole hog?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

I'm going to have to ask basic loving questions like "what's your workday hours" and "do employees get lunch breaks", aren't I? :bang:

Ugh yes that's like one of my first questions. I'm not about to work at some sweat shop.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Pro tip for finding better jobs and not wasting your time: stop talking to recruiting agencies.

Scour job sites for positions with the company in it, research the company, do they seem poo poo? If yes, move on, if no, apply directly through their job board.

Take the idiot shills who don't give a gently caress about you or know anything about the job out of the picture, there's so many jobs out there you're not going to be missing out on the 3 companies that only work through a recruiting agency (hint they're also probably terrible).

I say this matter of factly with my huge wealth of experience :smugdog:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I skimmed back through your post history and I couldn't tell... Do you have any actual software job history or is it all self taught stuff and you're trying to get into the industry?

If the later you're going to have a hard time, just like everyone else. Software is unfortunately not much different in regards to entry level work, like everything else it's saturated and while it maybe it's not as bad as a lot (most?) Industrious, you might spend years out of college before you can find a job.

Where you live plays a big role as well (for new hires). Until you get a couple years under your belt you're not going to have the freedom you always hear associated with programming.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Colorado is horrible I wouldn't recommend it.

Cost of living is really high. Traffic is terrible.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 7, 2018

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HardDiskD posted:

What do you guys do in the notice period? One of the reasons that I'm leaving my job is that there was nothing to do, and me putting in notice didn't magically change the situation.

Prepare for new job, while making sure you're not burning bridges (e.g. tidy things up, leave notes etc). If you're burning bridges or have nothing to do then go whole hog and spend 100% time preparing for the new job.

Or work on side projects.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

For some bizarre reason I'm being asked whether I am interested in a front-end team lead position. I don't know how to break it to them that they're really barking up the wrong tree.

My dude, maybe by some bizarre twist of fate, everyone else posting here telling you to not use recruiting agencies, was right?? It's unlikely I know, but you'll have to take a leap of faith and trust that they aren't gatekeepers to the promised land

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thoughts on places with unlimited vacation? I'm aware of the risk and culture that can lead to people taking hardly any, looking for first hand experience (either way)?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Cool, I won't worry about it, and the guy told me what their policy was before switching to unlimited so (assuming I accept the job), I'd at a minimum make sure I get myself that a year.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

oliveoil posted:

. We're the McDonald's of software now.

I get your frustrated but please do not compare a cushy desk job pulling 250k+ with a minimum wage food service job.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

As nice as it would be to get time off, I don’t think I have a health emergency. I still have energy for things I enjoy, for chores, for live improvement like finding a new apartment or going out to dinner with my siblings. When I’m not at work I can tell that life is inherently good - my trip to Japan reminded me of how fascinating the world really is and how much more there is to life than working a job in software engineering. I am still a good person and good engineer at my core, and I can still do this.

I’m burned out, not sick. I just need a break and a change of scenery. I’ll be fine.

You can take time off for stress and it can be an emergency.

Hell you can take time off for whatever reason you want and just hand waive it! You do not owe the billion dollar corporation your life and soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

oliveoil posted:

Don't people need doctor approval for leave? Or are the people citing burnout talking about taking time off without pay?

For like formal disability or something ya sure, but for a few days / week off? No way