Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The idea is that they want to hire people who are not dumb. You don't need experience with random numbers to answer that question.

Also, now that you mention it, I've worried about uniformity of random number generation several times in my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Well actually, if you want to generate a uniformly random number in C, you do have to worry about it. Whether you use rand() or read bytes off of /dev/urandom, you'll have to convert from base 2^k to whatever your number is.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
What's really interesting actually is that two totally contrived-looking interview questions that my company used to ask wound up having slightly trickier versions actually practical to use in real code. One of them was akin to reordering messages that arrive out of order, only it looked like some kind of sorting algorithm, and another was akin to blocking read/write operations to sectors of a file while preceding read/write operations are still running (because the kernel or some filesystem doesn't guarantee ordering very strongly across threads or iocbs). Both the real problems were online versions of the interview problems.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Also, the state space of a maze is proportional to the size of the problem description, so A* would be completely unnecessary.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

TodPunk posted:

I can't speak for the whole US, but for the western half, Rails is mostly a startup language. If you are not willing to have most of your pay be in stock options, you probably don't want to go that route.

Uh yeah I'm pretty sure this is false.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

TodPunk posted:

I thought it was just a generalization, never presented as some sort of "fact." I'm assuming you mean the piece about taking stock options, as opposed to being a startup language (It's not even a decade old, how do you see it as an established production business tech?)

I mean the piece about it being a startup language. It's not. You'll find it quite prevalent outside of startups.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

qntm posted:

On a white board you have no idea whether what you wrote is correct.

You just prove it correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JawnV6 posted:

I agree, it's pretty ridiculous to call it "unemployed people only" when there's this other obvious contingent of folks who make a really good fit. Contracting and contract to hire is much more common for ME's, EE's (layout is $80/hr, can even source it on craigslist), and EE technicians. Sorry if I denigrated super special snowflake CS folks by suggesting this as another totally reasonable option in common use in other fields though.

Do you have a brain tumor? The fact that employers in other fields might do something doesn't mean that employers hiring programmers should do that thing. In case you haven't noticed, the job market for programmers, especially in certain places, is a lot different than that for ME's.