Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I've been working in my current job for five years, and I'm thinking about a change. My CV is going to need a complete overhaul first. Is it worth going through the pain, blood, sweat and tears of learning LaTeX or are there better methods of iterating over and making decent looking CVs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oops, I'd clean forgotten about the debate from last time. I've managed to knock together something using TeXnicCenter. Might post it in a few days time for feedback once I'm happy with it.

Once that's done, I need to come up with something I can put on GitHub that
1) Is clearly not at all related to work and
2) I can be bothered to code on in the evenings after spending all day at work coding.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Double post, but company policy where I work is just to say "Yep, he worked here", and given my previous job was back in 2011, is it weird to put a personal referee as a second one? Or just put one?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I've got 3 months gardening leave prior to starting a new job, and whilst there will still be a fair amount of .NET (of which I'm very comfortable with), I'm going to be exposed to linux and python. 3 months of free time = plenty of time to learn. The python I'm not worried about, but what are good books or resources for learning about development and diagnosing issues on linux? e.g. On Windows, you'd check eventvwr, check active directory, run either procexp or procmon, ildasm, corflags and similar depending on where you thought the problem might be. Is there a good book that sort of thing for Linux? I'm finding it hard to phrase my searches appropriately. Knowing what's out there, as well as what each does would be helpful. Also I'm thinking of getting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Programming-Interface-System-Handbook/dp/1593272200/ as well. Anything better.

TL;DR: Good book on "Problem on linux in qa or production, what do?"

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I suppose a good start might be to familiarize yourself with coreutils? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Core_Utilities

Thanks, I know a lot of these already as we use cygwin at my current job fairly heavily, but I'll check out the rest.

minato posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat, in that a job interview I've got coming up is going to quiz me on troubleshooting Linux performance so I have to learn this stuff fast.

Thanks! This is very helpful.