Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sarehu posted:

What does it mean if there are balloons all over the floor?

:ccb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

One thing is for the DBA to want a heads-up and to work with him whenever a DB thing has to change, small or big. Another thing is for him to blow up in a public email berating the dev who did the changes like a total douchebag.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Doghouse posted:

Haha okay. There is a lot of berating devs in email code reviews. I can't fathom why is done that way but whatever. Thanks for the objective perspective - I think I overreacted when I saw it, but I didn't say anything to anyone. Shouldn't be a big deal.

That sounds like a toxic place to me, but if you think it's an overreaction then eh.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Just received word that our entire platform/AWS operations team quit. Rats fleeing sinking ship, etc. This is fun.

... And then you handed your own notice after them, right?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What were the websites that practiced standard coding interview questions?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks guys!

Stinky_Pete posted:

My big recommendation is to write down a few problems in a notebook and take that notebook to a park with a pen and write/reason out your solutions there. This both cognitively unties your skills from your computer desk, and gives you practice in white boarding.

If you get stuck, don't panic. Try to find the solution online and identify the concept you were missing.

That's a really great idea!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm going to bet that none of you are actually writing completely self documenting code, at least not if you are doing anything with a nontrivial complexity. Your code looks obvious and clear to you because you are writing it and understand it.

That could very well be the case, but if my code reviewer understands the code without comments then I won't really bother putting them in.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Industry vets: what % of your jobs (or % of your time spent working, as I realize jobs can obviously change) would you say was "good"?

I don't think myself as a veteran, but what the hell.

Year 0 to 2: Small startup as in, I was the only worker in team of 3, it was cool because the problem was very novel, the downside was the pay was poo poo and I was flying by the seat of my pants for all the time I was there, overall i'd say it was bad, but not that much. Also, the company fell apart from a lack of resources before they launched so welp.

Year 2 to 6-ish: Also a small startup, with three other people. This one was pretty good for the first 3 years, where me and my boss worked on building a project from scratch, but as the years went on, the focus shifted to maintenance and building some satellite projects to that bigger one, and my job has become very boring and stale. Also I noticed that my pay really has been lackluster. Overall I'd still say it was a really good experience, because I eventually touched almost everything from coding to deploying the application, and I really liked it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Paolomania posted:

Wasn't there some whole thing around the toxic culture at Uber where HR had for years been getting complaints logged against certain people but they were untouchable due to being "high performers" or something to that effect? This kind of precedent doesn't seem like a good indicator for using the HR channel.

I think that's more of an issue with Uber's HR than HR in other companies in general.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm looking for a specific website that I remember seeing in one of these jobs threads, but I can't remember its name. What I remember is that it aggregated jobs from three websites, Stack Overflow, Hacker News and some other website. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

Found it: https://whoishiring.io/

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 24, 2017

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Happy new year! What’re your career resolutions this year? Mine is to be better about getting work done right the first time, to ask better questions, and to have more confidence.

quit my current job

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:yotj: just handed in my notice

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 2, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

She said this year, not today. Now you don't have anything planned for the next 363 days!

just like my dating schedule!

But seriously, this is really just step 1, and it really feels liberating being my first time quitting after years of just feeling useless day in and day out. That I'm having an okay-ish (4 out 9) response rate on my resume made me think why i haven't done this before. :unsmith:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What do you guys do in the notice period? One of the reasons that I'm leaving my job is that there was nothing to do, and me putting in notice didn't magically change the situation.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

studying clojure it is then

Jose Valasquez posted:

During my last notice period I spent the entire time helping my manager plan out the work for the entire upcoming year down to the 2 week sprint level for a project I was never going to be on and was actively trying to disengage from. My managers expectations were way too aggressive but my level of not giving a gently caress was incredibly high so I didn't push back too hard. I did tell her that everything past the first month was going to change drastically and that I didn't think the goals for the year were even close to realistic, but mostly I just wanted to get out of the meetings without burning bridges.

It was a fair penance to pay though considering a few months earlier the project I was working on was cancelled and I spent the next month with nothing to do but practice for interviews all day which got me my current position :v:

I'm not really senior enough to be planning projects, and this current place has some kind of allergy about documenting things (except for testing), and I don't give enough of a gently caress to dig into the projects' issues. My only regret is that it took me way too long to realize that they don't have anything coming down in the pipeline.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 8, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

)])))))))))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So an internal recruiter came in and asked me to send my resume and how much I want to get paid. Should I just tell them a ludicrous amount (or what I think it's a ludicrous amount) or tell them that I'd rather talk about that later on?