Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Any good D3 tutorial recommendations? Going to need it for a new position I just started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

I would relax about your age. I'm almost 31 and I just started my first software engineering position after changing careers and going to a boot camp last year. Do good work and very few people will care how old you are. One of my buddies from boot camp was over 40 and landed a great position right out of the gate he's really happy with. It's all anecdotal but I don't think it's worth the consideration you are giving it.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

CPColin posted:

Meeting up for coffee is just the worst, anyway. Sure, I'll come hang out on the 80-degree patio of some coffee shop, drinking a hot beverage! No, I don't mind dumping a bunch of caffeine in my veins in the late afternoon! (I don't drink coffee, either, so I always have to get hot chocolate, like a big nerd. How about we go grab a few beers and drink them in the vacant lot behind the 7-Eleven, instead?)

Or you could be a normal human and ask to meet inside the shop instead. Also, nobody cares what you order or whether you drink caffeine or not.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Pollyanna - I think the best thing I could recommend is to take a long break from this thread. Seriously. You will become a better developer by finding a job youíre content with doing and trying your best each day. You will encounter problems you are initially unable to solve and, by solving them, improve your skills. Over the course of a few years you may find a new area you didnít realize you were interested in. Or you may not, and you may simply be happy doing solid but unexciting work wherever you wind up. You donít need to write a white paper or go to grad school or meet some arbitrary requirement for success your parents or your ego are forcing on you. I would reckon most of us in this thread arenít rockstars and many of us (including me) treat our jobs as just that - jobs. I go to the office, do some work that Iím not particularly passionate about (but itís enjoyable enough) and then I go home and donít think about it until the next day.

Next time you feel like posting here, go start some side project and work on it instead, or write a cover letter, or meditate or exercise or something. Youíre putting the cart so very very far before the horse in terms of potential future worries and I donít feel like the myriad of opinions in this thread are helping. (Except obviously the ones in this post!)

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Iím coming up on my one year anniversary at my current company. Iím more or less happy with compensation but want to open up discussions about negotiating for more vacation time. We donít have any sort of review process, formal or informal. Whatís the best way to bring it up and who do I even bring it up to?