Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Having a green card puts you at a distinct advantage in getting hired and a stronger position to negotiate raises because technically the moment you're out of a job you're not allowed to be on US soil when you're on a H1-B.

We decided that this out weighed having to go the extra step to relinquish the green card if we decided to leave. We also didn't really care about having to leave the 401k in the US and withdrawing at eligible age (or just converting a small amount every year to the Roth and withdrawing without penalty then). Vanguard allows you to maintain an account without a US address if you have more than $500k in assets with them. Worse comes to worst, we can maintain a PO box here or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I know at least some of the big software companies cap salary. I know Amazon and I think Microsoft both cap at 150k. I wouldn't be surprised if Google does as well. As you go up in rank, your expected bonus (cash and stock) % increases.

Usually the cash is instant, some stock may be instant, and the rest vest over 3-5 years, but yes part of it is golden handcuffs. When my husband left one of the big software companies, he left behind 200k in stock that was vesting in the next 2 years.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 7, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nippashish posted:

My best guess is Alex Smola, but he's been in the US for a long time so I'd be surprised if he needed a visa.

Wouldn't people like this be on the genius visa anyways?

pr0zac posted:

This would be really surprising to me. I'm only familiar with Facebook who I know doesn't cap salary, but I'd be very surprised if anybody they compete with for candidates doesn't do similarly.

In fact you can confirm this isn't the case by looking at h1b data:
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=FACEBOOK+INC&job=software+engineer&city=&year=All
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=GOOGLE+INC&job=software+engineer&city=&year=All
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=MICROSOFT+CORPORATION&job=senior+software+engineer&city=&year=All

Really wanna know who the person who got over a million dollar salary to work for Google in Pittsburgh is...

Cicero posted:

That bonus/stock makes up a larger % of your comp as you increase in level is true, but I don't think it's true that Amazon or MS have actual salary 'caps' (and certainly not 150k): https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Microsoft-Principal-Software-Development-Engineer-Salaries-E1651_D_KO10,49.htm

Yeah I wasn't sure about MS. But that's what I was told by several people who worked at Amazon, and I thought MS. I was told this a few years back so it might have changed. Or they might be lying. :shrug:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

My impression is that you can make significantly more than that if you're an expert in machine learning, distributed systems, or something like that. I think that those caps are just for general developers.

Yeah, I would expect this. But I was responding to someone who was pointing out the relatively 'low' base salary that someone had given for a Google Senior SWE. Just from what I've seen, it's not surprising for the large jumps in your total compensation (not including benefits) to be from stock and bonus increases rather than base salary.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
$70/hr isn't going to be more than 100k-120k from MS because MS will give you bonuses on top of that salary and because you won't have to pay payroll taxes on your W-2.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Urit posted:

I meant 70/hr W2 through the contract agency. It's not a 1099. But good call on the bonuses too.

Oh interesting.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
As an outsider who works with programmers and have pretty close relationships with a decent number of engineers/managers, when I hear programmer I think, someone who just codes what I specify or tell them to do. When I hear software engineer, I see someone who has control over the design, direction, and development. They are given a lofty/general goal to achieve (build an IDE to support X language), but they figure out all the goals of what that means and they figure it out how they want to get there.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

leper khan posted:

Google is also the only company that offered to run through their feedback and tell me where I punted the interview.

Was this recent? I've never heard of this. Huh.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

Truthfully, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad or insult you. My point was that your list of grievances are things that happen as a consequence of living and working in the world. It's ok that your experiences have made you feel depressed and I'm not trying to minimize your feelings, but there's something to be said for trying to be less sensitive at work.

Case in point, a boss shaming you over a deadline can happen. It's not a huge deal, you just take them aside after and talk to them. Having to work on something you don't like is part of a job and the reason you get paid.

The accidental firing and being harassed at work I'll give you, but burning out over this sort of thing is pretty childish and if you're still in your 20s, the rest of your working life is going to be pretty awful.

This kind of poo poo shouldn't be acceptable and this is kind of attitude is why it's not taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

Clearly one is an example of poor management but I'm sorry, unless that's the straw that broke the camel's back, it's not something to get worked up over and certainly not a reason to get burned out at work.

I've noticed that in software there's a lot of really thin-skinned people and it makes me sad.

What are you implying here? Doctor w-rw-rw- have listed a series of abusive behavior directed at them throughout their career. They are willing to talk about it in an open and frank manner, and deal with how it has effected them mentally. This is 'thin-skinned' and somehow worse to you than people in industries where they have to hide this poo poo because otherwise they'd lose their jobs? Where that sort of attitude has allowed even worse offenses like rape to run rampant because people are so used to burying the poo poo?