Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Skuto posted:

I have no idea what "over there" means but the jobs I had in the US and Europe all involved coding as part of the interview.

There can be exceptions, like if you have public portfolio and the work is consulting (where you won't get paid/get kicked instantly anyway if you don't deliver).

How can you tell from a conversation whether someone can program?

I thought "coding as part of the interview" was not exactly the same thing as whiteboarding.

On a white board you have no idea whether what you wrote is correct. If the interviewers are in some fashion looking over your shoulder while you actually write code, that's a different thing because you can try to see what will or won't compile/run before returning your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

That's dumb. That already happens, all the time. Don't you people have holidays? Illnesses? Family emergencies? Jury duty? Maternity leave?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Walh Hara posted:

Uhm, isn't "reverse a linked list" just a trivial check to see if somebody understands recursion? Seems to me like an easy enough question to ask on a whiteboard just to make sure the candidate has minimal knowledge of recursive functions and data structures. Defining a binary tree is something you could easily expect a candidate to know if the job is for a more functional programming language as well. It all depends on the job of course.

Okay, I'm blanking here, why do you need recursion to reverse a linked list?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

Java doesn't have operator overloading

Except for + :v:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Monkey Fury posted:

code:
>>> from functools import reduce
>>> def arr_prod(arr):
...     prod_arr = []
...     for i in range(0, len(arr)):
...             if i == 0:
...                     val = reduce(lambda x, y: x * y, arr[i + 1:])
...             elif 0 < i < len(arr):
...                     val = reduce(lambda x, y: x * y, arr[:i] + arr[i + 1:])
...             else:
...                     val = reduce(lambda x, y: x * y, arr[:len(arr) - 1])
...             prod_arr.append(val)
...     return prod_arr
>>> for thing in arr_prod([3,4,7,1]):
...     print(thing)
:haw:

For real though, anytime I see something like this, I always try to make a note and then go through and implement them in a language I'm comfortable with. Even if I don't get the most optimal solution the first time through (clearly), it's still a start and something to build off. Do enough stupid small problems like this, and you start to notice patterns/way to categorize them that can give you a basis for solving their numerous variations/cousins.

Sure, except that runs in quadratic time...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

speng31b posted:

Since this happened, I've created a weekly ritual of node dev shaming in our company slack that revolves around an elaborate set of gifs from this incident. It's one of my favorite things, I really look forward to it every week.

Does anybody in your company use Node?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

speng31b posted:

Since this happened, I've created a weekly ritual of node dev shaming in our company slack that revolves around an elaborate set of gifs from this incident. It's one of my favorite things, I really look forward to it every week.

speng31b posted:

It's used extensively. I use it, too - almost daily. left-pad day caused us some trouble.

So you hold a weekly shaming session for developers in your own organisation?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
As I understood, it's not a startup if it's mainly supporting itself off its own revenue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

If there is no one in the room whose advice you seek and value, you're in the wrong room.