Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Any tips for getting the big bucks once you’ve been in the industry 5 years? I’m at a startup and enjoy it, but these numbers make me incredibly jealous. I’ve read the standard negotiating tips - since I don’t have any need to move on, is it a matter of just playing hardball on salary until a prospect bites?

I have friends at Google who are as senior or more senior than me, and in our salary discussions it doesn’t seem like they make as much as is implied in this tweet.

e: to clarify, my salary is pretty average for my title and region according to Glassdoor. How are people making 2-4X that in total comp? Just asking not so nicely in negotiations?

https://twitter.com/danluu/status/931018170420400128?s=17

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m on the East Coast and talking to a company that wants to fly me out to SF to interview. Should I ask the recruiter for salary bands before agreeing to fly out? No point in wasting 12+ hours of my life on planes and airports if I’m not tempted by the salary.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Nah I believe you. I’ve switched at 3 years and I’m looking again after another 2. I must have hosed it up a little last time though, settled for 10% and equity (“funny money”). Going to shoot for 40% or better this time.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Leave it to engineers to take the outlier as representative...

Hello yes thanks for the insult for the thing I did not do!! Nice to meet you!

I am well aware that these salaries are far above standard for most programmers at that experience level. I was curious to hear of any insights as to how people achieved that.

Some popular figures in the industry assert that these numbers are very achievable if you negotiate well. Companies have far more leverage than individuals in salary negotiations. It’s helpful to know that the ceiling is actually far above what Stack Overflow salaries (minus equity comp?) says.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oh I wasn't addressing that at you, sorry if you thought that :(

No worries, sorry for taking offense.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Get paid more

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Going in for my first on-site interview in about 2 years tomorrow! I feel like working on a confident composure would be more helpful than studying more at this point.

The algorithm questions just become more annoying with more years of experience (and distance from college).

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Got an offer from Big Tech Company that’s about a 35% total compensation raise from my current job at Established Startup (discounting startup options because they’re private). Waiting for the result of another interview from last week before negotiating.

It feels weird to give notice at a job that I don’t hate yet.

I also understand how people at Big Tech Cos are making 300k+ now (overlapping yearly stock grants).

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Negotiated my new Big Company job up 10k base with only my current job as leverage. Total comp increase of about 43% discounting my current private stock options.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Current company pushed their counter offer very hard because they’ve lost a lot of senior people lately, but I held strong on refusing. CTO telling me to defer my big co offer, take the counter, and he would refer me to all of the other mid sized tech CTOs he knows in the city.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah the counteroffer struck me as desperate. The counter is “better” at their theoretical valuation and exit sometime in the future (a few years maybe?) with a lower cash component but more stock after I hit my 2 year refresh in a month. The opportunity cost is more years at the company I’m bored at and not having Notable Big Company on my resume. Plus vastly increased risk from private stock.

It’s hard to imagine a scenario where I seriously regret leaving. Even if the company has an incredible exit, I have an okay amount of stock. Staying longer means more ownership of tech debt riddled infrastructure.

It’s mostly difficult emotionally because I like my team and coworkers. The CTO is also drat good at sales tactics.

E: my more senior friends that have all left recently had been systematically undervalued by the previous leadership too. I didn’t predict a rosy future career there.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 17, 2018

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’ve heard that Google at least has a three strikes policy where they stop considering you after three failures in their process. Definitely take it seriously and be willing to entertain an offer if you get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Here is my NYC study experience and outcome for comparison:

I studied about 20-30 hours for my big 5 interview and 2 other, slightly less prestigious but still well known places in NYC. I got the big 5 offer and did not get the other two. I do have a CS degree and about 5 years experience. I used only Hackerrank practice problems and CTCI. I found that I mostly remembered about half of my study material from my last study sessions ~2 years ago. For many topics I only needed to briefly review the details. I chose not to study any graph theory beyond Dijkstra's (and I was pretty shaky on that tbh) and it never came up in interviews.

I could have spent more time studying, but I don't think it would have helped much. I felt like I did decently at both places I did not get an offer from. It was also a struggle to start each study session because I would get frustrated at how stupid interviewing practices are in our industry. Studying with friends helped motivation quite a bit.

None of my interviews relied on whiteboarding for the code writing portions, and I'm eternally grateful for that. I perform so much better on a laptop.

I start my new job in April. I took off a month of funemployment!

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 20, 2018