Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Unless your job title is three letters and starts with "C", or has "VP of" in it, there is precisely zero chance of you having any ability to change this company's culture with respect to their bad habits and general laziness.

This is 100% true. if it's that much of a mess the team either doesn't know how to do it right, or doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Skandranon posted:

Yeah, it sucks, but it sounds like you are just shouting into the wind at this point. Those are all laudable goals, but fixing those sorts of things is more a culture/management thing. Unless you have full support from management, you aren't going to get anywhere and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. It's noble to imagine fighting the good fight, but in reality, it is just so much easier to find a place where the fight is easier, or has already been won to some degree. What's so special about these people that you should be martyring yourself for their sake?

And even when you have support from management, it can be hard (or impossible) to sell a team that's really set in their ways on the benefits of a change.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The tools are way better now than they were in 2008, but what people are using them to do is really stupid. The problem with modern web development is that the whole SPA thing is encouraging businesses to make really huge, crappy web apps with dozens of megs of javascript that by all rights should be desktop applications, and it sucks doing front end on that kind of project.

I'm seriously considering learning mobile because of this. If people are going to insist I help with frontend work I'd really prefer if it wasn't SPAs.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

redleader posted:

You're in luck! Nowadays, you can do mobile development with the same technologies that you'd use for webdev!

There really is no justice in this world.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

one of the more interesting outcomes of this decentralization (imo) is that we're rapidly moving towards most/all teams running everything out of their own aws accounts s.t. retail is really just another company that runs on AWS.

This is really cool, I wonder if any of the other big cloud providers are dogfooding their own stuff.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, good points. Had a moment there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What the hell am I supposed to say when they're like "we need your expected salary right now"? Am I always gonna be putting it off? This is really weird :psyduck:

Deflect, then ask if they have a number in mind. Gets easier with practice.