Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Yeah I understand it just feels.. odd I guess. They told me they got great feedback from both first round interviewers blah blah but I could understand taking time to schedule stuff. Though for all I know they have a ton of people in the pipeline. According to angel.co, 50 people applied in the last week. It's hard to be patient when it's one of your top picks, I'm trying though!

Just keep sending follow ups once a week. It's not terribly unusual to wait 2-3 weeks with no or little response, even on positive outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I've been out of the web programming game for over a year, and am currently making ends meet as a barista (hooray for my humanities degree! :negative: ) in downtown Seattle. I want to brush off my Notepad++ and get to work learning more about JS libraries that have emerged in my absence - Angular, Node, etc. I've looked into code bootcamps which seem attractive but are balls-bruisingly expensive. My partner suggested Lynda and I think that, with enough practice, I could construct an updated portfolio for employers to look at.

What's the best way for someone in my position to get back into the coding game? What online courses have proven the most useful? I'm Googling stuff but not getting many hard answers, and I'd like to try and narrow things down.

In my experience the best way to learn things is to read books on interesting topics and concurrently work on a related project.

I'd never touch front end webdev with a barge pole though, so no idea if that's workable there.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

The weirdest anecdotal trend I've found is that most surveys out there conclude that people typically quit managers / coworkers rather than companies but I've never quit because of that - I've almost always quit because of attributes of the company that I can't control or wait out. This seems pretty typical for most engineers I've talked to though - how often do you guys quit because you're fed up with immediate coworkers or managers?

I quit once because I had an abusive manager (drunken phone calls blaming me for coworker's screwups, etc), and once because new executive management came in and my manager moved to Europe (and I essentially lost any authority I had built up).

So.. not terribly uncommon in my experience?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Steve French posted:

Yeah, I don't think "bad manager" is specific to company size either; rather my point was that I think quitting a *company* is perhaps much more common in smaller companies than larger companies, since they are much more likely to change (or perhaps not change enough) over a relatively short period of time.

Small companies also don't have a bunch of other teams to transfer into.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
What is it with Silicon Valley companies? I send a nice message saying basically, "My company wants to maybe give you money because you had the good sense to not BSD license your technology." And I come into work this morning to two of them basically saying, "Yeah, we don't do that."

At least give me an outlandish number I can feed the project lead. :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
salad edible

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

"Well, this sprint I logged into my dev machine AND our developer wiki. I'm working on the next sprint item - adjusting my office chair so I can be the non-typing member of the pair-programming pair - is in progress, but the requirements are a little vague. Looking forward to the challenge!"

Pairing always felt like a giant waste of time. Even for getting people up to speed, reading a few dozen KLOC and then working through a couple minor bugs seems to familiarize someone faster.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Occasionally I wish I had a twee title like: princeps technicus

Then I remember that I probably wouldn't want to work at the kind of place that would let me have such a title.

Titles don't matter. You're fine if you can demonstrate an ability to perform work, nothing else really matters at least through mid level. In this exercise, mid level generally includes "senior" unless your org somehow evaded title inflation. Maybe pedigree matters at principal/executive level; no experience there. At junior/mid level if you haven't hopped jobs in ~3 years you can very likely get more by getting out. If you're worried about being terrible, you're (probably) not that terrible. If you think you're the best that ever was, you very certainly aren't.

Eat well, sleep, and exercise.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I usually try to counter with +5-10% and then settle for somewhat less than that. Often they'll come back with "really the best we can do" that amounts to ~1/2 of the difference of what you asked for.

Always ask for more, the haggling is expected and it's basically a free 5%ish raise.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

Nailing down exactly which skills I should be practicing until I'm ready to look for a new job is kind of a problem for me right now. I currently develop in C#, which I really like. I'm proficient, but I could always get better. But then I wonder if I would get more value for my time if I learned Javascript or some other server side language, then I wonder which if any particular frameworks I should focus on, and how to tell the difference between what's good and what's some flash-in-the-pan webdev fad and just AAAAAAAAAH! :psyduck:

JavaScript is not a server side language. Despite people putting a fair amount of effort into changing that for some ridiculous reason, that's probably not going to change.

There's plenty of work in C#, but I hear the market is pretty bad right now; lots of uncertainty over the election/market or something. Just do anything you think is cool because then you'll unwittingly be passionate when you talk about it in interviews.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

Sure, but name a language and ecosystem that wasn't true about at some point in its history. I'm not a huge fan of Node but it's nowhere near the dumpster fire that it was a few years ago.

Are you saying that node is no longer a dumpster fire, or that it is no longer a bonfire made of multiple simultaneous dumpster fires?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Urit posted:

What's the best way to handle a super promising job that turned out to be utterly bland and in which I'm powerless?

I got hired by a guy whose Surveillance Economy startup uses one of my open source projects with some song and dance about how I'd be doing a bunch of automation and dev work and helping modernize their operations and take them from "A bunch of shell scripts" to all the latest magic. It instead turns out to be half-rear end IT Ops in which I'm on-call in very weird and lovely schedules, the existing ops folk do not share the dream of automation (since shell scripts work fine what do you mean it takes 4 hours to deploy), and I've gotten to write precisely 5 lines of code. Oh and they want to use Docker for some reason even though precisely none of their services would benefit from it, and don't bother any of the existing ops or dev people, they're busy keeping the existing house of cards running and cranking out ~features~.

I'd rather not just immediately quit since I started just a few months ago after an 8 month break in employment for some family stuff, but god drat I have no idea how to make them realise that scalability and reliability are features too, and I can't just magic up some Docker and poop out a perfectly formed infrastructure on their plates.

:sever:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Volguus posted:

Hah, about IRC: the new company I joined is using slack for team members to communicate. We also have skype for business. Everyone uses whatever they want. Anyway, i thought about slack: how is it better than IRC? What can it do that IRC can't? I can use it just fine, but the client is quite annoying. I'd love to be able to pick whatever client I want (out of thousands).

It's not better than irc. The value add is your IT people don't need to rear end with it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

pr0zac posted:

This sounds like a great test of both your ability to read code and recognize problems and have a constructive conversation with someone about the issues. If anything I'd say more interviews need to test things like this compared to yet another tree serialization question.

It made hendersa reject the position though, and that seems bad. :ohdear:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

Ralith is exaggerating wildly. Connections are definitely very helpful but if everything else was a "last resort" then there wouldn't be this giant recruiting infrastructure glued to the industry.

IME, connections are good for getting past the HR filter and that's about it (for orgs > 20 people; smaller anything goes). Not that I'd want it any other way, but the utility always seems to be overstated. Occasionally you'll get to look at a position that's not listed, but only rarely.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

VS Code is an editor, not an IDE. Presumably tasks.json is some crappy functionality you add to make your editor kick off builds. You probably want to use real Visual Studio, unless you have an existing project using some other build toolchain (make, etc.).

Even if you use some other tool chain VS is still good. And free now, too with community.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Sure, I'm not really trying to poo poo on VS Code, just noting that even though it is called 'Visual Studio', it is not an IDE or really all that close to any other VS product. It is Atom/SublimeText from Microsoft. It is not comparable to actual VS.

edit: I'm bad at reading comprehension :shrug:

I never said 'Code' lol that thing is lol

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Follow up! I have this textbook arriving Monday, and just downloaded Unity to get started on learning it (I grabbed Visual Studio Community as well). Spending some time in B&N, I also came across this, this, and this. Intrigued as I am by the various types of games these would help me learn to build, I worry that they might be redundant, and therefore a waste of money if all I want is a tutorial on how to code & publish a particular kind of game. What other resources might there be? Do you recommend books like this as references?

NB: I checked out C++ For Dummies from my local library to use with VS, so that second discovered book would be in addition to that. Likewise, the third discovery would be a follow-up to the incoming textbook.

If your c++ book wasn't written for c++11 (or later), you shouldn't use it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

fantastic in plastic posted:

Management at the company I work for is planning to introduce 360-degree reviews. Myself and several of my colleagues are deeply unhappy with this idea, because we feel like it will undermine our present culture of collaboration and replace it with one of suspicion.

Is this worth fighting a political battle over or is it wiser to just cut my losses and :yotj: out?

Are the political battles ever worth fighting? You're not going to change senior management's mind.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Necc0 posted:

Alright so this is interesting. I'm now a month in to my new consulting gig and have been doing the standard 'just read as much as you can about the company's product and wait for an assignment' routine. Boss calls me up this morning telling me that they've got a billable job for me- scrum master. This totally came out of left field but I guess it sort of makes sense since it gets me into a billable role where my lack of experience with the product won't matter too much. Apparently the consultants I'll be leading are sort of rough in the people-skills category so my primary role will just be keeping them in line.

Any advice? I've worked in agile environments before but I've never formally studied it. If this actually goes through I start on Monday.

Try not to let the sprint schedule change after it's set. Understand how to make good and bad estimates and be able to discern whether someone is saying a thing will take a long time because it's difficult or because they're being difficult. I hope you enjoy middle management. Try not to let the sprint schedule change after it's set.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

4 of the last 5 places I've interviewed wanted me to do take-home assignments. 2 of them we're 4+ hours, one took about 3, and my estimate for the last is that it will take me 8+. This is really becoming the in thing now. I wouldn't mind it if I could do it and then post it on my github as a personal project for exploring another language or something but otherwise, yikes.

This is pretty normal for games jobs, at least in mid level when I was last interviewing. Very unusual for everything else.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I've now had 11 (!!!!!!!) interviews at one place split between 2 teams and the head of engineering. I do not think I could have come out of 7 or 8 of the 11 feeling any less comfortable, confident that I'd succeed, or that they were interrogating me vs. interviewing me. Yet it seems like I'm going to get an offer.

11 people or individual events? Because the former doesn't seem too unusual, but the latter sounds like a nightmare.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

11 people spread across how many days, too? It's an interview process, not a continuous deployment pipeline, geez.

In my experience, an 8 hour on site isn't unusual split into 7 meetings and lunch, talking with 7-10 people. Add a phone screen or two and it's not hard to get to 10-12 people. :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

rt4 posted:

It's not like you seem like a liar, it's just such an unlikely streak of bad luck. Now that I think about it, around year two in my career I also had a bunch of interviews end without offers. It gets easier as you have more experience. Until you get "too old" or something, that is.

my last job search i had about a dozen crazy interactions like that. it's just what the market is like right now if you don't have an extremely focused set of companies you're going after and people you know at said companies.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

return0 posted:

I don't get it. You mentioned it supports put, get, and some usage constraints.

What are the desired semantics for conflict resolution. E.g., backend A is S3 in USA and local user puts value to item xyz, backend B is Dropbox with a datacentre in Asia and a local user puts different value for item xyz simultaneously with other put. Both systems internally have some form of eventual consistency. How does it work?

Also, if meta data is a regular file, this would require the backend to support batch transactional put, or data races will occur (ignoring eventual consistency model issues).

Did the spec talk about this?

the full spec is right there..

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

I interviewed today at what I guess qualifies as a startup? Financial management software, they've got around ~220 employees. Pretty solid pedigree when it comes to the founder and CEO, so I'm not incredibly worried that they will go under; they're about 7 years old and have solid revenue of ~12 mil with more raised in funding, although they're still privately held.

If I get an offer, should I be asking for some form of equity? How much is reasonable to ask for, or to accept?

you will get none, or like 5-10% or your salary as bonus in equity out of an option pool. also that place will not feel like a startup. they probably have dedicated HR, recruiters, IT staff, accountants, red tape, etc.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Thread, I need some advice. A place really likes me and wants me in for a final round. However, their Glassdoor reviews from engineers and the rest of the company in other offices range from bad to absolutely scathing. This would be working on a brand new team that is 6 weeks old, in Go (which I'm looking to transition to), on cool poo poo that's interesting to me. The company is stable, fwiw.

What do?

go to the interview
ask questions

interviews aren't just to test you

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

xtal posted:

What's the proper course of action if one of your legacy services broke, you're tasked with fixing it, and find out that it's been violating the GPL all along, and fixing it will involve submitting a pull request with more GPL code and your name on it?

email your manager, cc their manager, ask for legal review

if there aren't two levels above you to escalate garbage like that, explain to your boss why GPL violations are bad. tell them to get legal review.

enjoy the extra weeks/months of headaches. buy some nice scotch maybe.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

xtal posted:

I bent the truth in my post so as not to talk about stuff that's identifying. But replacing or rebuilding it isn't an option by its nature. My choices are to leave it and not mention anything, or create a lot of work for all of us and make everyone hate me. Or I should say my choices were because I already made the clear choice there. Sorry RMS!

you didn't need to give up just because you couldn't decide between the macallen and glenmorangie.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus. I wonder how many of these companies actually examine whether all this extra time they spend on vetting candidates actually gets them better results.

why wonder? :rolleyes:

zero

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

rt4 posted:

Is it possible to stay sane in this line of work without hobby projects? I think my skills would've reached full stagnation after about 2 years of professional experience if I didn't always have some weird thing on the side to make things interesting. Spending every day waist-deep in somebody else's bad design decisions just doesn't leave any room for learning or ambition.

no

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I have an ex-boss turned friend who went on to bigger and better things a few years ago. He wants to bring me in at his new organization as a "principle" developer / "junior architect" role (the exact title isn't set in stone, but the idea is that I'd be in a position of technical authority and leadership over a team of developers). We've discussed salary already, he can give me something that would make me happy, and the gig is 35 hours a week (strictly enforced) with mandatory WFH at least 1 day a week. No interview necessary, I just sign the paperwork and I'm in.

Here's the problem:
I'm currently going through some personal stuff (terminally ill family member) that has necessitated taking a leave of absence from work for the next few months -- but my employer is backing me 100% and has told me I can work as much or as little as I want for the duration, with full pay, with no expectations as to when I resume working.

I'm expecting my personal stuff to stabilize in the next month or two (hopefully), and this other job will materialize sometime in the late winter. I feel like it would be incredibly lovely of me to come back to work after this, work for a month or two, then say "Okay, thanks for being compassionate and generous during the worst few months of my life, I quit!"

I feel like my current employer has earned some loyalty from this. They've always been very good to me, and they're really going above and beyond right now.

Some people have said I'm a sucker for wanting to pay that generosity back by sticking around through 2017, but I feel like it would be a decent thing of me to do. I know that I don't "owe" them anything, and they're being so generous precisely because they value me as an employee and don't want me to quit.

It's worth noting that I enjoy my job and have no strong desire to quit, and my friend understands the scenario and is no hurry to fill the role (and he really wants me, specifically, for the job), so it's not like this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will disappear if I don't jump on it.

Basically, I'm soliciting unbiased opinions as to whether I'm being a sucker or not.

the loyalty you think your current employer has for you does not exist. if you're thinking about exiting, you'll continue thinking about exiting until you exit. that also sounds like it could be a significant pay/responsibility jump.
:sever:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Recruiter: "What is your availability like to come meet with the team?"
Me: "The engineering director mentioned a take-home"
Recruiter: "The team wants to get you into the office to meet us ASAP"

:staredog: Cool, but what? Excited for the position but cautiously optimistic.

sounds like code for: "someone just put in notice"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hughlander posted:

I inherited a horrible system under a time crunch with no opportunity for turnover, ok fine that happens. But it doesn't give you the right to come back into the department and burn me again. Fool me once, etc... how many times should someone come onto your project, poo poo all over it, and leave you holding the bag until you say you don't want to work with them? For me it was once, for you would it be twice? Ten times? How many times is two days in the office notices enough that you would say no to someone in an interview?

EDIT:
It's like a separate conversation this morning. Someone posted

With the tagline: This is why you should disable access to the server room before firing your IT guy.

And my only response was, "I can't even imagine the incompetency that would lead someone to burn bridges like that." Because you'd have to be so incompetent that none of your coworkers would ever want to work with you ever again before you'd go and do something like that to ensure that they would give a thumbs down at any future interview at any location they are after they have to go clean that up. Maybe you'd call them burners but I'd call it common loving sense.

What I meant by that is that I've never been at a place that just will lay someone off. Everyplace has given a good severance, multiple weeks per year worked + minimum. Or let them know that in X months their position would be terminated. From that point of view not burning a company makes sense.

you've been very lucky in your career. one place let me go the day after i got back from gdc against my supervisors wishes because i went to gdc having planned that trip for 8 months or so. i had to go back the following week to pick up my check because they didn't have it prepared for the ceo's whim. they did pay me though. another place withheld my final check for 5 months after i gave them 4 weeks notice.

just because you've been incredibly lucky and haven't dealt with issues common to small or failing businesses does not mean that the issues do not exist. companies are not generally set up to care about you, they're set up to generate as much profit as possible.

then again not wanting to deal with that type of poo poo is definitely a reason for avoiding very small orgs. my history with orgs over a dozen people has been more pleasant administratively. not that they're without dysfunction.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hey, this is a new one.. a "6-10 hour" take home challenge before I even talk to a single member of the engineering team! Usually I at least get phone screened by a Senior/Lead first.

is it AAA games? i had a couple of those last time i was interviewing in that space. one of them criticized me in the follow up for doing the exact thing i was told was preferred after asking for clarification!

interviewing is the worst

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Ralith posted:

I'm on the west coast and I've never been given a take-home challenge. I kind of wish I did get them; I feel a lot more confident in my ability to demonstrate my skills when writing actual code with real tools, documentation, etc. on hand than when scrawling vague pseudocode on a whiteboard with the lead looking over my shoulder.

that second part generally doesn't go away, it's just another hoop before then

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Not unheard of, though. Happened to me. They said they wanted to hire me, but this was back when they made that decision before deciding where to put the new person. So they wanted to hire me, but didn't have anywhere to put me. No offer.

I've received a verbal offer and had the job fall through. There's basically no guarantee on those things.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Volguus posted:

Well, I've heard that Google is an "at will" employment company. Which essentially means (for those, like me, who have no idea what that is) that they can fire you any time for any reason and for no reason (boss doesn't like people with blue eyes anymore). Which is awesome for employers, sucks for employees. So be prepared for anything, anytime.

Almost all US companies are at will, and they still have restrictions on what they can fire over. Eye color is strongly correlated to race, for instance, so if they fire you over that you can get a bunch of money from them in a settlement after you sue them for discrimination.

It's such a minefield that large corps have people who only check that stuff just to make sure they don't screw anything up.

America is weird.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

withoutclass posted:

How am I going to quit in a glorious display of emotional outrage if I have to plan ahead?

I know of a guy that pretended to have a mental break after he got an offer for 40% more money than he was making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Yes it makes sense, but are you sure this isn't a problem with you? I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is almost a running joke in this thread... Sure, start looking for better opportunities if you truly are not interested in front end work, but how many places have you been at since you started as a developer?

Speaking as someone who has averaged a job per year over the past ~5, I'm much happier having switched jobs to better align myself with interests and career goals. And I have no issue continuing the trend if something that comes up will give me a 50% raise and significant increase in responsibility, or my current job pigeonholes me in technologies or projects I have no interest in.

I've also had astoundingly bad luck in picking companies to work for, with two of the five either going bankrupt or losing all of their contracts (not my fault :ohdear:).