Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mrmcd posted:

Like dude if you're gonna download a whole repo, make sure it's on git. Full backups and commit history are in every client by design, so it'll just look like your normal work. Amateur hour!

Edit: also lol@ him and like three other people clicking "download" on sensitive Google docs and not realizing that poo poo is logged.

Also, lol at not bothering to check those logs until a supplier accidentally sent a "lidar by Google otto" blueprint to the Google LIDAR team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Volguus posted:

With 100k+ employees, is kinda hard to check all the logs all the time. I mean, the guy was part of that team after all.

If you are the size of Google and your Infosec team doesn't have a rule on your internal Splunk knockoff to automatically check when any high level employee quits for anomalous behavior within the last month (oh, like downloading thousands of files and gigabytes of data from a sensitive repo), your Infosec is incompetent.

Maybe if they had had Adwords on that data they would've seen it?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Anyone trying to create OS distribution packages should probably be using fpm

Coincidentally, by the same guy who made the logstash part of the elk stack.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

What kind of work do you do? I'm in Boston, and healthcare is a huge component of our market, yet I haven't really seen much compelling crossover between dev and healthcare. Maybe I'm just missing it.

You may have heard of Electronic Medical Records; making doctors irate and some idiots in Wisconsin rich.

Not to mention various business systems, embedded devices, all the things that go boop and make squiggly lines.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

minato posted:

These days, how much do universities teach Software Engineering to those pursuing CompSci degrees?

At my university it was "not at all", all courses were purely academic CompSci. When I graduated, I thought I knew enough to get a job because I could write programs. My first job gave me a crash course in the actual practice of Software Engineering, and it concerns me that programmers don't learn the basics more formally.

Interviews tend to focus on CompSci aspects because it's the lingua fraca that we're all expected to know, but shouldn't Software Engineering be the same way? In all my interviews at Big Tech Company's I can't recall ever being asked about SE concepts like architecture or code quality.

It really depends on the department. Some have a strong sweng focus, particularly those in engineering colleges. There's less pushback from the pure math theoretical/academics (eg. Dijkstra's telescopes) than there used to be, but it's still there.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

fantastic in plastic posted:

I was imagining some kind of nightmare world where engineering is trying to cut the marketing department's budget every quarter to cut down on feature creep, marketing is retaliating by refusing to hire any new engineers, sales is led by a charismatic party animal who wants to spend 50% of the company budget on cocaine and alcohol, and the only thing we can agree on is that Legal and Compliance urgently need a new departmental HQ in Alaska.

Sounds like the stories that came out after the Objectivist hedge fund guy took over Sears.

Retail as a whole may be heading over a cliff but he certainly threw a brick on the accelerator.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

lifg posted:

Good idea, time to post your company's least useful interview questions and get them banned.

Mine is Coins on a Clock.

Time works the same way.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Demonachizer posted:

The systems engineering stuff I did before is definitely very very very different though it is sort of what opened me up to doing HPC stuff at university and competing on teams and doing internships at labs. The stuff I did in industry was very much integration work. Meet with client to do needs assessment then propose a system design to satisfy etc. Lots of work with vmware.

I have already done an internship and done the work that I would be doing at the new gig. I would be in a super interesting group as I would be helping to design and spec out new clusters that are often 100+ million dollar projects. Like it would be the top of the HPC field from a systems perspective. It definitely wouldn't just be software integration or just being a janitor for the systems but it also isn't really the stuff I find interesting from CS. I mean I could probably put time into developing software for the HPC world and work on some pretty important projects for that but it wouldn't be my primary job. I am just sort of frozen by having a good enough offer on the table. It might be easier for me in a weird way if I didn't even have it.

In regards to the interview you mentioned, that is like 100% my fear that if I do HPC stuff I will be pigeonholed completely into roles where stuff like that matters most. It will matter a huge amount in the work I would do. I am more interested in pure CS.

I reread what I wrote last night and today and I apologize because it really feels more like a blog post then a question... I feel like this would be a super easy decision if I was 15 years younger. I would totally say gently caress it and take the risk of further school and working in private sector. I am applying for an NSF graduate research fellowship also and if I get that it probably will change things for me yet again anyway.

When you say pure CS do you mean algo development and theory or do you mean software development?

What's your end goal? Tenure-track at a R1? Google?

What would you be able to do with a CS PhD that you couldn't do with your BS?

Do you have kids? Do you want them?

From the budget I assume you're looking at a DOE lab. IMHO the safest approach is to go to Dallas and do your presentation and network network network. Do you know any PhDs at the national lab that you can talk to about this or can refer you to folks there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Forget testing, fix it now!