Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The USA has a huge culture bias against unions, especially among white-collar workforces for some reason. Apparently people are happy to accept a massive power imbalance between them and their employers.

The USA has poo poo protections against union-bashing and retaliation. So, even among those who support unions, most are too scared to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

oliveoil posted:

You realize after rolling out a feature to a small experimental set of users that the success metrics you originally chose will not give you the information you wanted. You:

A. Use the data you do have to estimate the information you really want
B. Instrument the feature to collect the metrics you now actually want and work on other tasks while data is collected for another week or two
C. Just skip collecting metrics, it's a very simple feature that we're probably not going do much with after launching it

There's no business consequence for delay but this is a pet project of someone several levels above you and your team and they're impatient to see it rolled out to everyone. There's a separate committee of unrelated people who need to approve everything before it's rolled out more widely and they expect to see evidence the feature is worth having.

All three are acceptable in different circumstances imo. How big of a business impact can this have? Can it be negative? Or only neutral at worst and perhaps positive if it goes well? The higher the potential impact and the more room you have to tweak the feature based on the data, the more im inclined to get the data right and wait (B). But if its just, like, adding a smiley face to the checkout flow then im all for (C).

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Yeah, Laravel has basically revived it from being 90's tech to a decent modern choice.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
As much as I hate it, I've been tasked with sourcing additional help for our team via a contracting site (e.g., Upwork). I asked and no, another full-time employee is not an option because management doesn't think we need 40 hours a week of help. Just 20 or so. :negative:

Anyway, does anyone have experience doing this? Any pro tips on how I should configure the job posting so as to minimize the chance I end up churning through several contractors before finding someone competent?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

lifg posted:

I don’t have a lot of experience on the hiring side, but on the supervising side my little experience says to be prepared to do a lot more supervising than you expect, like daily checkins and very detailed ticket writing.
Oh great, very excited to have this eat 20 hours a week of my time via needing to micromanage resulting in no net gains in productivity lol