Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Somehow Amazon is at least passingly interested in me (I have no idea why), so they want to set up a phone/online interview to cover "coding, data structures, and operating systems fundamentals, as well as design questions". I have no idea what this will cover and I'm not exactly expecting to pass it, but has anyone done Amazon's phone screens? What do they usually cover?

If it's some graph theory stuff, hardcore C, or complicated algorithms, I'm probably doomed - I've heard they're really hard.

Have you read CTCI? I don't remember exactly which phone screen question I was asked for Amazon but it was probably directly from it. My general impression is that phone screen questions are usually easier than the ones asked on site.

You're probably putting too much emphasis on the fact that you're not qualified for an interview when it's really just a matter of preparation. Big 4 style interviews are basically a game and you can get a big leg up just by studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I mean yeah, this is what I planned on. 10:30 - 5 instead of 9:30-6. Muting Slack and Email notifications in after hours. Leaving tasks for the next day instead of staying until 6:30 on a Friday afternoon when my entire office has already left for a company sponsored happy hour.

Honestly, other than working less than 8 hours you probably should have already been doing those things. Companies will happily let you work extra time and aren't likely to reward you for it.