Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mrmcd posted:

Like dude if you're gonna download a whole repo, make sure it's on git. Full backups and commit history are in every client by design, so it'll just look like your normal work. Amateur hour!

Edit: also lol@ him and like three other people clicking "download" on sensitive Google docs and not realizing that poo poo is logged.

Reminds me of a guy I worked with at a previous company who quit when I told him his fantasies of becoming some kind of IT management weren't going to happen and we were poo poo-canning his pet project. He yanked a hard drive out of his computer as he was leaving because: "I bought it myself, see, here's the receipt!". Yeah, OK, that's totally legit and not suspicious at all. Maybe you should've deleted this repo export you left on the root of the system drive with all the work you and your friends did on your personal side project on the company dime. That whole "cooler facebook for cool people" project is really gonna go places buddy, especially with amazing talent like yours heading it up. Can't recall for the life of me why were so stupid as to let go talent of that scale...

He also took some other company property with him but HR decided it was worth the loss if we never had to deal with him again. One of his genius henchmen that left with him REALLY GOT ME by setting their desktop background to an image of the login screen and unplugging their keyboard and mouse.

Their total value add to the company after a year or two was a website that managed to have a different piece of functionality that was broken in every browser, but the ring leader really had all the latest hot poo poo buzz of the week lingo down along with his cultivated 'l33t hax0r' attitude of barely concealed contempt and the whole "I'm doing you a favor even being here" thing so non-techy people thought he was amazing. I mean why would you act like that if you weren't amazing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Sorry, tease I know, but I don't want to say much more. Just don't accept a counter offer :unsmith: It might work out, it probably won't.

Agreed. The article linked before covers the big reasons (http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/03/26/why-you-shouldnt-take-a-counteroffer ) with #2 and #4 being the big ones for me. They're basically #2 - they know you were looking to leave so they'll start looking for your replacement ASAP and #4 - it took you getting an offer from someone else for them to pay you what you were worth, what makes you think you won't have to do that again in 2-3 years if not sooner?

If money was the only reason, their inability to give raises that keep employees paid at a market rate (or close) for their skills is a problem (though a very very common one). If money wasn't the only factor then you shouldn't even consider a counter offer.

I've been with my current company almost a decade so I don't know if things have changed much, but I doubt it. For the 15 years or so before this job not a single employer gave raises that kept pace with market rates and changing jobs was the only way to get a decent salary bump. My experience was large companies outside of Silicon Valley. Most, if not all of them, had a system where 1-2% was the average "You were OK" raise with a "max" of 3-5% depending on the company. Of course they'd go over that for counter-offers. I had one company that was open to rehiring me but could only pay what I wanted if I was in X position but they weren't allowed to re-hire with that big of a promotion within a certain amount of time due to policy and wanted me to come back with a promise of a promotion and raise 6 months later. Yeah... no.

The bigger the company the more draconian their rules about raises and promotions, usually, because you're just one employee out of 5,000 or 15,000 or 150,000.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fantastic in plastic posted:

Achievement unlocked: received call from drunken recruiter

My best recruiter call was "I'VE GOT A BILLION DOLLAR OPPORTUNITY WITH A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY!!" it was probably meth or coke in her case.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

redleader posted:

You're in luck! Nowadays, you can do mobile development with the same technologies that you'd use for webdev!

I will loving murder you.

e: The people who decided "Hey, why not write your server code in JavaScript too???" need to die a long, slow, painful death. ES6 makes JS less horrible but in as lovely a way as possible, leaving all the original horrible poo poo there and then adding poo poo on the side saying "Hey, you can maybe do some less horrible poo poo if you use this stuff. Also, adding real support for properties and static typing when we added classes was hella hard, so we just didn't, lolz."

e2: End-game for development is we're all writing PHP code and databases will stop supporting anything more complicated than SELECT * FROM <table> because you can process all that poo poo in your PHP code anyway and PHP developers all do it that way regardless so why even bother.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 14, 2017

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Achmed Jones posted:

Pollyanna is a web dev. A web dev that refuses to do front-end programming is not the same as a game programmer that refuses to switch jobs to embedded.

There are generally two distinct parts to webdev, sometimes more.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Nah. Endgame for development is we define our services declaratively, generate as much of our data model, server, clients, and hell, UI, as possible, and then make our money continually fine-tuning it.

Nope. Sorry, AI both writes and consumes all content and we're all just batteries.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You're allowed to hate working in JavaScript. Lots of people do.

I worry about people that don't. I wonder, is it because they've never worked in anything that wasn't a horrible pile of poo poo language with minimal functionality cobbled together with duct-tape and string? The only reason anyone used JavaScript, for the longest time, was because you really had no other choice for maximum compatibility in the browser.

But then node.js came around... and... I don't... :suicide:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

yippee cahier posted:

this guy knows what's up

$150k is a whole lot less letters than 6.2 figures, especially if you include all the follow-up posts. Your optimization is counter-productive, not self-documenting and a maintenance nightmare.

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Iverron posted:

remoteok.io, remotebase.io, weworkremotely, StackOverflow and Indeed are what I check daily

Indeed sucks a lot, but you do find jobs there that aren't posted anywhere else.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13271393 has a lot of others, ymmv

The real trick is to get these contracts at $X/hour then sub-contract them via those other sites for $X/hour/10 and WIN.