Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I was hunting for places to rent with my friends a few months ago in San Francisco and every landlord made us enter a bidding war with every other prospective tenant. That's just my experience, but I'm sure much hasn't changed. We would usually bid +$200/mo on the listed rent price and still lose. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

This might belong more to the newbie programming thread.

I'm a year out of college and currently working at Big Tech Giant. I've recently received an offer for a quantitative trading firm in Chicago for $350k/yr guaranteed with a scaling bonus based on the performance of myself and the firm. I've heard horror stories of the working hours at a tech firm, but the money seems very difficult to pass up. The projects also seem very interesting at the company.

Is it worth sacrificing a year or two of social life in my early 20s for the $$$ and working 80 hour weeks? Should I just warm my seat at my current job? $350k seems to go a long way in Chicago by just looking at rent prices + the opportunity to learn crazy optimizations seems very tempting to me.

I'm currently at a fork in my life where I feel like I will regret one of two things in 10 years:
* not working harder and learning more while I could
* not hanging out with my friends + family while I had the time

and I can't find the best choice because I know I will regret whatever choice I make :/

Have any goons for quantitative trading firms? Is it actually 80 hour weeks? Was it worth it?

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

if your choice was rto 3 days a week for A Large Amount at FAANG or full remote for a Smaller Amount at a pre-IPO dangerously valuated company during the the peak of covid what would you pick

in this situation you've also been at a different FAANG and are currently at a remote post-IPO dangerously valuated at the peak of covid company

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

Hey all,

More large tech-co FAANG questions.

I’m currently an L5 team lead with room to grow to L6 on my current team, but I honestly am insanely bored with the space. We have enterprise customers so everything moves insanely slowly, but the work life balance and career growth are great. The people are also great and fun to work with despite the work not being interesting.

I have the opportunity to switch to a different team in a different organization which is more user focused and is in my passion area. The people seem good on the team, but I fear losing the WLB and known “good” of my current team. I also worry about abandoning my team while I’m in a lead position.

I can’t put two and two together: should I just focus on programming + interesting projects outside of work and enjoy my current lifestyle? is the grass really greener on the other side?

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

Thank you all for the great feedback. So, my next question is... how do I tell my manager + team I'm switching without feeling guilty? I know this is also more of a personal question, but not sure of what the tact is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

winning love by daylight

I'm currently a team lead in FAANG in an area I do not find too interesting, but I'm able to make it work on a day-to-day basis and I enjoy most of the people and my direct manager quite a bit.

My skip manager has recently externally hired a lot of staff engineers, which has cut off a lot of areas I was enjoying working in and removed my room for growth and potentially promotion.

I have an opportunity for a "grass is greener on the other side" to switch to a team internally that pairs more with my interests and lets me be head down more in coding instead of leading, also with the opportunity for growth as I gain expertise in the space. The commute to work is also a lot shorter and can be remote lol

I'm leaning on taking this opportunity, but I actually really do enjoy my current manager and the people in my space. Should I stick it out on my current team and try to make affairs better, or should I take the opportunity to try something new?

I've also only been in my current space for ~1 year so I feel guilty about that 👀