Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

*shrug* I don't take such a hardline stance and don't expect others to. I do resist giving a salary, but if push comes to shove, how much I want to work there affects how much I care about giving the number.

Like the other poster said, if not disclosing your compensation with your current employer actually ended the conversation with a prospect, you wouldn't want to work there. The only reason to disclose is if you're just really desperate for any work regardless of how much they're obviously intending to shortchange you.

The line that's pretty consistently worked for me is along the lines of "those are terms between myself and my current employer, and I can't disclose it". It's saved me tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars already.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I get direct recruiter emails constantly, around 2-3/week. It's very flattering, but so far I've just been ignoring them since I'm not currently planning to move for the next couple years or so. However I wouldn't mind keeping an open channel for later by responding to some of them and declining "for now", at least for the ones from in-house recruiters. Has anyone tried this?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

In other news, I've just finished separating myself from one of the most toxic working relationships I've ever experienced, or even heard of secondhand. Sucks too, because it was one of the first jobs where I liked the work and the people a lot, and people liked me back. :(

Honestly don't have a clue what to do with my career now. I put in an honest effort and got burned, and I got burned hard. What's good?

My last job was pretty terrible, though I now feel like it's just given me a better perspective on what to look out for in the future. And the stories I get from people still working there (for now) are pretty hilarious. Also you gotta dish out more than that, cmon!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

15 seems standard to me. For everywhere I've been, it's either started at 15 with tenure increases, or stayed at 15 regardless of tenure. For example the current place ups that to 20 after 3 years, then 25 after 5 years. Plus 12-13 holidays.

The only place I've heard of that does 21 days off the bat is Facebook, though I haven't heavily researched this across companies. I think they stay flat regardless of tenure.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That's a really good way of describing it. Gonna use that someday.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Be sure to read the agreements they give you on those. I've heard of some, by Microsoft in particular, that make claims to all your work ever.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Is this why visiting Google sites nowadays usually involves downloading multiple MBs?

https://docs.google.com

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I've been told before that to break even, a contract position should pay twice as much as a salary position.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Xerophyte posted:

The transfer is on an L1 visa, according to my (former) boss' boss it's very unlikely to be rejected but damned if I know. Salary similarly unknown since no formal offer yet, I'm expecting somewhere around 130k base.

Asked someone who is currently going through immigration:

- The cool thing with an L1 is that it's dual-intent. You should be able to start applying for a green card without risking your current visa status. But check with an immigration lawyer because it's very easy to mess this up.
- The L1 might not be transferable between jobs? If it's not transferrable then if you leave your current employer (or get laid off) you also leave the country. This would be something to find out.
- Ask your employer if they will be willing to sponsor a green card. If they are, then start the process ASAP, it takes at least a year and is important to have long-term. Again you'd need to check with an immigration lawyer before starting the process because they'll know all the risks.

For money stuff:

130k base is about what you'd expect for someone thats been in the workforce for a couple years. ie not a beginner anymore but still an individual contributor. Typically there would also be stock and annual bonus targets on top of that, adding another 50-100k overall. You may also expect to get some kind of relocation payment of eg 10-20k to cover your moving expenses. These numbers are all pretty fuzzy but should get you a ballpark idea.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Fwiw, I started at google in september at a relatively entry level position and I'm at like 110 base 160-170 total. I'm certain higher levels make much more than me

edit: total meaning salary+bonus+rsu

In practice the base goes up by around 30k per level. By the time I left I was making low 200s on my W2s as a level 4, largely due to the initial RSU grants, plus the generous refreshers following reviews seasons. Ended up leaving for a smaller company, where I have a higher base but with lottery tickets instead of RSUs and where it doesn't feel like I'm slowly stagnating away.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Skandranon posted:

C# is no longer bound to Windows. Microsoft open sourced the entire .Net framework, and recently bought Xamarin, so C# will soon be a very viable language on Windows, Linux, Android and iOS.

At this point it doesn't matter. For better or worse Java owns this now and it's Oracle's market to lose

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

lack of multiple data inheritance (only multiple interface inheritance),

FWIW I can't say I've ever wanted multiple data inheritance, even in languages that supported it. In fact at this point I only rarely use data inheritance in favor of composition/interfaces

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cryolite posted:

What do you guys think of putting down that one is an Eagle Scout on a resume?
[...]
it doesn't belong since it's something I did when I was 18 and I'm now almost 30

Given the time difference, I would assume that mentioning this means that you're Mormon. Seeing an applicant like this at a bay area company, I would at least assume that you're okay with working alongside a diverse crowd at least where e.g. sexual orientation is concerned. But overall things like this would be ignored in favor of reviewing the code sample you sent.

To summarize, I don't think including it would necessarily negatively affect your callbacks, but the time gap is getting to be pretty ridiculous at that point, unless you think the hiring company would care about your experience circa 12 years ago.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sarehu posted:

Honestly an 800 verbal on the SAT of 30 years ago is drat impressive. But that's really just a fancy way of saying you were too stupid to get 800 on the math portion.

e: If you do that as a male I'm pretty sure it means you're gay. Or it did in the 80's/90's.

e2: Actually I'm told an 800 math SAT was also really gay back then. :woz:

???

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I've found that a great filter is giving a code problem along the lines of "here's a moderately interesting problem that can be finished in a hundred lines or so in 1-2 hours" following the phone interview. What they give back is a way better indicator than making them code on a whiteboard during an in-person interview.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Urit posted:

Serious question: Assuming I want to stay out of CRUD/Webapp hellholes, what's a well-used, well-regarded language to learn, assuming I have a fairly decent background in programming and already "know" C#, Python and 2 C-like hipster languages (rust and go)? I kind of want to learn JS just so I know it, but dynamic languages make me want to :suicide: because I can't tell how crappy my code is until I try to execute it, and where are my loving types?

I've been writing some server stuff in Go and it ended up going way faster than I thought it would. With all the native concurrency handling and built-in network support, it feels like Go is meant for that sort of thing. Pretty happy with it so far.

Ultimately language choice for a project is a tradeoff between many options. Maybe Java is the best choice if it's what everyone on the team knows or if it's got the library support you need. Or maybe something like Erlang has properties that make it the perfect choice. In any case you'd ideally be working at a place where learning new tools on the job isn't considered an insurmountable barrier for employees. It's also easier to learn a new programming language once you're already gotten a few under your belt, and then it matters less and less which one is used as long as it fits the needs of the project, but it sounds like you may know this already.

To answer your question: C++

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 18, 2016

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

How could they have decided to get PTSD? Didn't they know there are kids starving in Africa?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Fool posted:

If they though you were worth the extra money, they'd pay you without being threatened.

Nah they'll just pay you as little as they think they can get away with. No reason for them to volunteer to pay >X for something when X apparently will do.

There's nothing hostile about that. Negotiations aren't threats.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I had worked at a place where the screening was the interviewer's choice of either got a mildly interesting technical problem to build a solution for, or a 1 hour phone call. Following that there'd be a one-day in-person interview. Seemed to work fine.

Cancelbot posted:

You should work in the UK. Sure the pay is less good, but universal healthcare and the interview processes is way more pragmatic in my experience. I've interviewed for 8 jobs throughout my career and all of them select for "not being a dick" more than "can they write an algorithm to find the greatest common divisor of two integers in 30 seconds on a whiteboard".

The impression I'd gotten before is that the UK pays pretty bad compared to most of Europe? I don't know how much of that is GBP collapsing.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

There's also architect/PM paths, you don't necessarily need to go into management if you don't want to.

I think by 50 I'd start looking at doing things that actually contribute to society, like plumbing.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pie Colony posted:

Is this the hilarious How poster of yesteryear? I forget his exact name, just that he was wrong about every single thing he said.

I was thinking the same thing.

They're great at demonstrating the sorts of candidate problems you can catch early by asking for a code sample. Turns out the system works after all.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What does the bureau of labor statistics know about labor statistics anyway.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

I have a pretty good variety of recruiters in my inbox, some of them try to get me to take a 50% pay cut to work at a lovely megacorp in the suburbs, while others try to get me to take a 50% pay cut to work for a lovely startup on the west coast.

The positions that you're getting emailed and cold called about by third party recruiters are generally bottom tier trash. By the time they've gotten to you, they've already gone through their network and nobody took the bait. They've probably even tried posting it to a few boards and still got nothing. The position is so bad that they're now resorting to spamming random people on a list they bought years ago in hopes that somebody out there might bite.

In short, don't treat recruiter spam as an indicator of anything.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I think they just wanted to stop talking to you

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What's skilled labor precious

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

School of How posted:

There is nothing you can say to me on this forum that will convince me

My purpose for posting here is to convince you all

Come off it. Isn't there a codebase somewhere that needs rewriting? Or have all the employers in your area gotten word that you're a no-hire?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

No Pants posted:

People I work with have heard this sentiment, so I've been getting some feedback that my PRs are too big (on an entirely new codebase).

If it's new code and nobodys really depending on it yet then I think it's totally fine to play it a bit fast and loose with the change volume

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Not that living next to Californians is great either fwiw

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Be sure to also check for flood and mudflow/landslide risk

If you're looking to buy in CA, it is 100% valid to meet some prospective neighbors and ask "when it rains, where does the water go?"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Also the only people I know in Truckee (who have since sold and gotten out) had moved into a gated community whose entire purpose was weekend/summer homes for people who had made it big in the bay area. We visited once in the winter and the entire neighborhood was maybe 10% occupied at the time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If you can swing a pilot's license, then getting to SF and Denver from truckee airport could actually be very straightforward.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Oh also I hope you don't have a septic system in Truckee, because in CA those are generally $20K and up if you ever need to do any kind of work on them.

Prop 13 hosed over the counties so they now use permits as a revenue source. Hopefully the previous owners decided to keep everything permitted/above board, despite the exorbitant costs!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there's maps for this poo poo so you dont have to talk to peeps

When we looked at La Honda the landslide maps were "a guy flew over the area 20 years ago and guessed where the risky areas were based on what they could see from the plane". Now every rainy season another couple houses get destroyed from landslides, and it's not something that standard home insurance covers so they're basically facing a total loss.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm gonna give a perspective off the mainstream goon-approved angle again. This is highly situational, and probably very atypical: like in a lot of forward-thinking organizations, I am the person's future manager conducting a reference check, not an HR drone.

But if you get an HR drone or a background check company on the phone: smile and nod.

None of this jives with multiple places that were holding up an offer until I could find N glowing references. (E: as opposed to “yes progressive jpeg worked here but anything more might be interpreted as poaching”)

Don’t narc on your friends. At the reference stage, you’re the one that is deciding whether they get the job, and they will not get it unless you can say that they walk on water. If your friend has any issues professionally then you should bring it up with your friend and not the company that’s still mulling over whether to give them an offer. The reference stage of an interview process absolutely isn’t the time for a frank discussion of shortcomings.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 28, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

All of the jobs on my resume are right around 3 years each, give or take a couple months

For my current job I’m over a year in and don’t have any plans to leave but I said the same thing at that point with all the other jobs so :shrug:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

i prefer Facebook, Apple, Twitter, Microsoft, Amazon, Netflix, Google, or FATMANG for short

The last movements I’d heard from Twitter was firing dozens of distributed systems people (that my company at the time then recruited) so the acronym likely might need an update

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nothing wrong with plumbing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Regus bought out a local coworking chain and the immediate exodus was ridiculous - the chain had two locations in Wellington and since the buyout one’s been closed while the other removed a floor and the space that’s left is a ghost town. All the prior staff left too.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Xik posted:

Lmao at the idea that an employer can not accept a resignation. Sounds like your CTO is salty and full of themselves.

I’m not fired, you’re fired!!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

After leaving my last startup job I sold the exercised stock on EquityZen, worked fine. Did a pool with some ex-coworkers who were doing the same thing, since buyers on there generally don’t want to bother with small transactions.

Wasn’t a huge amount of money by SV standards but still made high 5 digits from it, and was just happy to get my exercise money back. As a bonus I no longer need to care how that company was doing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gbut posted:

Yes, but also functional first languages. (I missed scala at first). Not seeing lisp up there is kinda disappointing. I don't expect Idris or elm to be there, but clojure? It's not a small language.
I’m pretty sure that the purpose of that list is specifically to scare off any fp weenies