Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm in my 7th professional year with most of that being webdev (I tried to get out, but it sucked me back in!). Am I an oldie yet?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

There are large stable .NET shops around, they just don't get talked about a lot. A friend of mine works at Ancestry.com, I think, and they have a lot of .NET. I think they're transitioning a bit to Java, though.

Not only that, but you might not realize they want .Net people until you drill down into the job descriptions since some of them are just '5th Degree Software Incantor III' or something equally meaningless.

I was looking at one the other day and it was listed as a Ruby+Rails position, but the description was full of .Net and IIS stuff - no mention of Ruby at all :confused: I might apply anyway since it's a ten minute walk from my front door and above a brewpub, so basically my ideal office location, so I feel like giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

I think admitting you have no germane test of the actual skill under consideration and must make a leap over to a close-but-not-quite children's timesink game is the objectionable bit.

Do you actually have a test of 'general ability to program'? I'd love to have that before we hire anyone else.

It would be legit weird to be handed a puzzle in an interview, though I'd probably enjoy that because I love that kind of stuff.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FamDav posted:

and im sure a bunch of other questions.

Thanks for helping me not sputter around like a dipshit when question time came up at the interview I had last week :)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I have an interview tomorrow at a self-described 'startup in stealth mode'. Can't find anything concrete about what they do on them thar internets and the two employees I've exchanged email with so far don't even have it listed on their LinkedIn pages, so they're doing a pretty good job with that stealth. What should I ask above and beyond the normal interview questions? Or do I try to pretend it's a normal job at a company with revenue and whatnot?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

lol no

Two crucial questions: 1) How much money have you raised? 2) How much money do you currently have in the bank?

Raised $100M? Fantastic!! Have $50k left in the bank? Not so fantastic. You want to know if they've got a comfortable runway for the next few years and how they're managing cash flow. If they're really poor at fundraising you might be pulled off techinical work to go coddle an investor, or have the fun of a "payroll event." I'm not sure if those are in your "normal" interview question set, but they absolutely should be part of interviewing at a startup.

OK - I just didn't want to make a protocol/etiquette mistake like talking about salary during the interview. Their initial contact with me actually specified that they'd be paying market-competitive rates rather than expecting people to starve for years and hope for a payout later, so I'm assuming there's a trade-off where I'd get less/no equity if I'm even early enough to be considered for equity (guessing not) but at least get paid well.

Thanks, both of you

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Plorkyeran posted:

They may be iffy about giving concrete numbers, but if they won't even give you a ballpark of how long they can keep making payroll then the answer is almost certainly "not very long".

He was actually quite up-front about having a time/spend limit that he was willing to go up to before pulling the plug if he wasn't getting any sales or buyers and it was somewhat less awkward to talk about than I expected. Also I'd be up for equity after six months, so that's cool.

Now I just have to research how much it'll cost me to buy my own health insurance for the first time ever :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

Does "up for equity" mean "the first of your guaranteed options begin to vest" or "we'll start to have the conversation about your points"?

The former, but we haven't had the actual compensation negotiation yet. He said something along the lines of "you'd be vested for equity at six months".

E: also the coding test was an RPN evaluator, which turned out to be a pretty fun and easy.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 17, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

sarehu posted:

Was this your answer?

perl -ape 'eval((q[push@s,$_],"\$s[-2]$_=pop\@s")[/^[-+*\/]$/])for(@F);$_="$s[-1]\n"'

It was actually slightly more complicated than that would handle - probably so that I couldn't just google it.

Also you forgot the unit tests :colbert:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Any interest in SO Careers invites? I got an interview through it last month and I like that they have a handy PDF export feature that'll turn your profile into a fairly nice-looking resume.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

So how common is this poo poo?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

bartkusa posted:

Cross it off, hand it back. If they refuse, demand a huge pay bump. If they refuse, run.

This is during an acquisition and I have a feeling that might lead to unemployment, which wouldn't be a disaster because I'm not a moron with my money, but still.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skandranon posted:

You're right, they'll probably refuse then. Time to decide how much you really like this job.

Not too terribly much considering I'm already looking for a new one.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

bartkusa posted:

I can't get over the whole "anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment" thing. That's pure horseshit.

Like, Marsol0, I also own everything I conceive (past, present, and future), so long as I'm not using company equipment to do it. There must be plenty of employers like ours.

OK, technically, it's anything related to anything the company has or will ever do, but, given the scope and size of the new corporate overlords, that could cover a lot of stuff.

E: one of our CJs talked to their CJs and found out that that guy had been at his job four years and covered 100+ acquisitions.

E2: and there's an exemption for my state that covers after-hours-without-company-property stuff but I don't know if that means it also covers preexisting stuff I don't disclose because that's not mentioned. Maybe because the state legislature didn't imagine this situation - IDK.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 17, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Plorkyeran posted:

Every employment contract I've ever signed has had wordage like that, followed by the required notice that under California law the previous page is null and void.

If you have revenue-generating side things talk to a lawyer. It'll only take an hour or two for them to read the contract and tell you exactly what the implications are and answer any questions you may have.

I'm not in California, but there's a not-dissimilar exclusion for my state. I'm thinking about consulting a lawyer but I don't know/have one offhand and, at first, I was given less than 24 hours to sign and turn in the loving thing, but that's changed to approximately two whole days ending tomorrow today (the 18th) as of mid-day yesterday :toot:

I'm ~60% ready to make a stink and make them either change the contract or fire(?) me but I might wimp out and sign it because there's probably no reason they'd care about my dumb rear end junk ideas, anyway.

Safe and Secure! posted:

I know what it's for, but the contracts I've seen are just like "sign here to say these things you list below are everything you did previously". I don't recall anything after that saying "and you agree to give us anything you didn't list" from any of the contracts I've signed, but I've only signed four of these.

I don't have it in front of me but IIRC it basically claims anything relating to anything I ever come up with that the company, which basically exists to buy up other companies, has or will have a business interest in except for what I tell them I've already thought about. I can basically understand why, but I still think it's unnecessarily broad.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 18, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

good jovi posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9729916

Here's a HN discussion from yesterday on pretty much this exact contract issue.

Hah, that's almost certainly the other guy on the team that was concerned about the contract.

Oh and they said sign or leave so I've got some thinking to do.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I've been here four years and my last performance review I asked for an extra week of vacation in addition to a pay bump. Didn't get the full pay bump but did get the extra week. Three starting out seems to be pretty standard at most companies in the US, which is just part of the bullshit we all put up with for our freedom :911:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I've accepted a job at a consulting firm. They do full team projects and staff augmentation on contracts generally shorter than a year. Any advice? I'm going to update my business casual wardrobe and make a kit that fits in a messenger bag that'll hold the poo poo I normally keep at my desk like a thermos, tea and snacks, but that's as far ahead as I've planned.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

kitten smoothie posted:

Are you traveling to client sites, or working locally? If you're traveling hit up the business travel thread in BFC. Between all the complaining about how lovely the airline industry has gotten, there is very good advice about how to stay sane and not gain 50 pounds while traveling weekly on business.

Local travel only. Probably wouldn't have taken a full time travel job. I'm losing hair fast enough without that stress.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If I have a hole of a couple of months in my resume due to bereavement, is it better to say so, or to omit the time period, or to list "contracting"?

I don't think I'd want to work for/with people who'd look askance at an honest explanation of that.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

My question was more about do I put that upfront on the resume or leave it out, and (secondarily) if I leave it out, do I substitute "contracting" or not. It might be in poor taste to put "death in the family" as an entry on a resume, just sayin'.

Oh, derp. Agree with mrmcd, then.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

1) Look up "set up to fail" and read last decade's MBA's describe your situation

Huh, that describes my experience in my first job pretty well.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

Not to get all goon-in-the-well here, but I think I'm going to bide my time a little longer before trying to get a new job.

Pollyanna posted:

Always Be Job Hunting. There is nothing wrong with being a mercenary.

Please take your own advice

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah reason #220 I want to get out of this place is they've been slowly rewriting their .NET product in Google Web Toolkit for several years now. As soon as I can say I was here for a year on my resume :smithicide:

I got curious and decided to see what the deal was at http://www.gwtproject.org/overview.html

GWT - pronounced «gwit» posted:

GWT is a development toolkit for building and optimizing complex browser-based applications. Its goal is to enable productive development of high-performance web applications without the developer having to be an expert in browser quirks, XMLHttpRequest, and JavaScript. GWT is used by many products at Google, including AdWords, AdSense, Flights, Hotel Finder, Offers, Wallet, Blogger. It’s open source, completely free, and used by thousands of developers around the world.

Oh, well that sounds cool and good! I wonder what their approach is...

quote:

The GWT SDK contains the Java API libraries, compiler, and development server. It lets you write client-side applications in Java and deploy them as JavaScript.

:magical: sounds like they re-created ASP but with Java!?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

Benefits make up ~31 percent of someone's total compensation on average, according to the BLS, so it's really more like an extra 50% to break even.

I don't suppose they break that down by hourly rates, do they? I'm guessing there's going to be a big difference in benefits as percentage of comp between $45k/y and $150k/y

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

He will be when his new company is acquired by Googazonsoft. Unfortunately, by then three commas will only get you a daily time share in a semi-private bathroom facility, but at least it's daily!

Congrats on the new job Hadlock - just didn't think you were serious about sailboat money

E: I'd guesstimate 42k in taxes, but I'm not familiar with Cali taxes except to assume they're high

E2: oh, yeah I usually lump those in with taxes since that's actually what they are

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 27, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Che Delilas posted:

How do you feel about the Pacific Northwest?

I see plenty of .Net backend+JS-framework-of-the-day positions around here, too, so it's not just within the Microsoft geographic influence sphere.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Doh004 posted:

I'd expect the presentation aspect for a higher level position, not just an engineer. Is this a leadership/managerial role Cryolite?

Could be that a part of the job is explaining in detail how how clients' systems got owned and how to stop it happening again, etc.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I got one like that a couple months ago. Made me mad enough for some reason that I actually bothered to reply with something to the effect of "thanks for not bothering to read my profile before spamming me".

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Dart is just fine in compile-to-js mode. The benefits I like about it are actual strong-typing, class-based, IDE integration, the pub repository/tool, and integrated build system. That all carries over even if you compile down to js. I've looked at Typescript, but never used it. It seems much better than plain js, but not nearly as good as it should be, plus with Typescript you've still got the house-of-cards build situation where you have to have babel, npm, some other testing framework, etc.

You don't have to https://github.com/basarat/typescript-script But as always it's better to transpile ahead of time.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I did a couple weeks off last time I changed jobs and it was great. Easily could have done more. I did maintain my working sleep schedule the whole time, though, because I knew that if I didn't I'd be sleeping 4 AM to noon within days.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

leper khan posted:

Thread: help me evaluate a job offer. Boston, 92k base, some sort of bonus (historically ~10%), ESOP 17%, 5k signing/relo. Is this terribly low for mid-level? I have a somewhat :lol: job history; current resume skips around every ~10-15 months going back to graduation in 2011.

I currently work for an ESOP and I'm not sure how I'd put a percentage on its contribution to my comp, but it's a recent transition for the company so maybe that's due to my inexperience?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

leper khan posted:

The org I have an offer from gets appraised yearly and drops a flat % value of your base into an account for you.

Not sure how others work, but it should be pretty easy to derive either by them stating explicitly they give you X% of your salary or by multiplying the amount of stock by the stock price.

e: I have no idea what happens when the stock pool runs dry.

Ah, ours are allocated according to how long we've been with the company according to some formula I didn't memorize.

Probably split shares. Shares also return to the company when people leave/retire.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I just had a background check and drug screen (lol) to take a placement at big-name a national retail chain client. Didn't know about the drug screen until I verbally agreed to take it but I don't care enough about the dumb bullshit hoop to do anything but privately mock the whole practice.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

AskYourself posted:

Why is there an obsession of sticking engineer to every role ? Build engineer / Sales Engineer / Support Engineer etc ? Is it simply a hierarchy thing (technician versus engineer) or is it the normal title ? Do you guys have programmers anymore or only software engineer ?

If you have "Engineer" in your title you do tend to make more

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

It's also a great market to change jobs right now, so that's going to help you. I was/felt stuck in a lovely job in a lovely company for years because of a combination of the 2007-8 meltdown and lack of experience.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

necrobobsledder posted:

an engineer version of Geek Squad

Fun fact: that is what Best Buy calls their internal help desk and they wear the uniform, too.

Also, I've never worked anywhere that didn't satisfy most/all of your list :cripes:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Space Whale posted:

I really want stability.

You answered your own question right here because, as long as you blame yourself, it's OK.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Space Whale posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

"It wasn't a good fit for me", "I want more/different challenges", "I need to spend less time on the road and more with my family", etc. All the regular reasons you voice in an interview basically have to be sort-of self-blaming to maintain decorum. It's not unlikely that you're getting out because the place you work strongly resembles a train loaded with tires crashing into a one loaded with oil in the middle of a junkyard, but you can't say that.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

csammis posted:

zero-sum raises

As in more money but "oh about the health plan..."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

csammis posted:

The idea that if one member of a team gets a raise or a promotion then another member of that same team absolutely must not get a raise to compensate. I think Microsoft did (does?) something similar and called it stack ranking.

My manager sat me down at evaluation time and said "You're doing a great job but we gave Joe Bob a promotion so you don't get a raise." With the benefit of experience and hindsight I can appreciate that he didn't blow some smoke about my performance not being quite good enough but that was and is still a pretty hosed thing to say.

I think stack ranking as they did(?) it also meant firing the lowest 10-20% of performers, rather than simply not giving them raises, but I get what you're saying and yikes