Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You have it backwards. What you should be feeling is contempt. First go google some "working at amazon engineering" writeups, then if you're still up for it read up on general algorithm interview prep, CtCI, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Do not give notice before any contingencies are resolved. 2 weeks of notice is acceptable but if you would rather give 3, whatever. Your new company needs to understand that your start date must be at least 2 (3 if you must) weeks after when your paperwork is finalized, which hasn't happened yet. If you give notice before hearing back you are exposing yourself to risk for literally no reason. And tbh no one at your current company will care whether you give 2 or 3 weeks.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Why not take the extra time? For most of us full-time wage slaves, time is our greatest resource, ultimately. Go do something interesting. Last job switch I had I took a 3 month vacation, and plan to do at least that again next time. You have an offer in hand which is a golden opportunity, when else will you have an 8 week opportunity to go travel?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

It's smug narcissism. It comes down to the interviewer believing that only the problems they've solved on the job are worthwhile problems worth solving, and if you haven't solved them, not only are you not smart, you've also been wasting your time learning the wrong things.

This is basically interviewing in a nutshell. Most interviewers are (subconsciously, or not) trying to hire clones of themselves.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

leper khan posted:

There's a trick...

That is IMO the problem with questions where the only "real" solution the interviewer cares about is a DP one (and no, interviewers do not give a poo poo about your thought process). If you know the trick it's "a pretty trivial DP problem," if you don't, you will not derive it on the spot and your interviewer will probably walk back to their desk thinking how do these people even get jobs in the first place.

Cue discussion over whether everyone should be expected to know DP off hand or not.

E: they might as well just tell you to write knapsack 0/1, it's more to the point.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 2, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You can go as fast or slow as you want, you are one of a gazillion people in their pipeline, they don't care if you delay 2 months or whatever, or try to get the next open interview slot 3 days from now.

My anecdote: Google had easily the worst process out of them, Facebook, Twitter, and some smaller companies. Also the only one who won't give meaningful interview feedback. Allllso I got stood up by one of their recruiters on a scheduled phone chat without so much as an apology. I think I'm over trying to work there.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 15, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/reedcouk/status/763322792381210624

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

There is too much emphasis on "approach to problem solving," every interviewer wants to tell themself that they are truly evaluating candidates on their problem solving, analytical, fundamental abilities... but if you don't code up the solution they want on the board in time you are not getting hired, no matter how many briliant things you said about different approaches and tradeoffs and your amazing insights.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Speaking about my previous company (few k engineers in size) regarding contract to hire, it was generally used for candidates who we liked but weren't 100% sure about, and was a means of keeping them sort of in a trial period. All of the people in that scheme ended up getting hired as full timers when their contracts were up.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I got InMail (tm) from Linkedin and MS leading with "I'd love to hear about all the great work you've done at <X>." Where at X I am in new hire training, and my profile says sept 2016-present.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The only time I did a take home project, for DigitalOcean, they never gave me feedback or got back to me one way or the other. This was after a few skype interviews with managers that went well. So, gently caress DigitalOcean, and that's the last take home project I'll ever do. I would take an automated, time constrained coding test, though.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Year 1-5: medium-smallish public company. Learned a lot but not efficiently, and being in smaller market region (and not giving a gently caress) was not plugged into the ~tech community~. Tech was old but I didn't know better, managers were good, life was easy and good, but low stakes.

Year 5.5-6: gently caress it I'm going to Europe

Year 6-9 [lol]: Big finance tech company in big market region. My colleague said: "Like working at the Death Star." Lots of capable coworkers, but even more lousy ones. Realized I have been stunting my growth by not giving a gently caress for so long and am behind on tech and engineering practices and interview whiteboard bullshit. I lucked out because my team was a greenfield oasis project in the middle of a fintech tarpit tech stack. Laid back manager was an asset at first, but as I got more experience I got turned onto the politics and massive levels of horseshit inflicted by middle managers who don't give a gently caress at a company that will never fire them or change. Mix of good and bad. Learned a ton.

Year 9-10: Enchanted Forest Unicorn tech company. There are still politics and bullshit to a degree (such is life) but it's more managable and the overall caliber of contributors and managers is way higher. There are no stormtroopers like at the Deathstar. I like it, but we lost (quitters, no one perished to my knowledge) our tech lead, manager, and other most senior engineer just a few months after I joined, which has been taxing. I'll stick around for a few years until I say gently caress it I'm going to <place far away> for 6 months again.

I am a cynical optimist, and I would say overall it has been 90-10% good to bad. If I were to break down the 90% further, and I were, I would say half that was "just a job" not great but nothing to complain about either. As my dad loves to say, "that's why they call it 'work'" ahh shutup dad

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

MC Jaded Burnout posted:

I once interviewed at a decent-sized post-startup in san francisco where one of their main hiring criteria was verbatim "If this person was working on a Sunday would I come into the office just to hang out with them".

So many things wrong with one sentence.

Stripe lol

I'm sure they all truly believe they are at the peak of tech culture, too.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yep. Are they still doing it?

Regardless of the outcome of the interview I'd already seen enough of the real state of SF to never want to live there.

I'm not sure if it still is, but I remember it being on their job postings online.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Seattle, NYC, SF, and kinda-sorta Austin are the other decent engineering markets.

I'd throw Denver/Boulder in there as well. Maybe not as big (or Austin-sized) but viable.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I know Boulder is where the bigcos are but like it has been said Boulder is tiny and has gotten rather expensive if you aren't at one of those bigcos. Denver is bigger and still has a decent number of jobs (good ones? some at least). But it's also not as expensive, even though people there cry about housing costs going up. Honestly, every desirable market has had exploding housing costs since 2009, it's just one of those things you'll have to live with, but medium-market cities are still overall much cheaper than NYC or the horrible bay area. The value of each market depends a lot on individual comp packages and housing decisions, but the tiny markets like Des Moines or St Louis or wherever leave a lot to be desired IMO, unless you scored a remote gig and like the location.

One trick is to just live a couple of years in NYC/SF if you find a job that pays, and there are lots of them, and then moving anywhere else will seem super cheap :shepspends:

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 8, 2018

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Go is good, Java is bad

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What other industry has candidates with even 10+ years of experience perform tricks on a board as part of the hiring process, and what does it say about this process that the only meaningful way to succeed at it is to either practice things you don't do at work or give lots of interviews?

Yeah it's dumb but it's a prisoner's dilemma and we all gotta do it.

The bigcos tend to be the worst with this

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I work remote for a largeish SF-based company. I took a ~8% hit on my salary when I went remote (based on cost of labor difference between city I was in and where I moved). My RSU did not change, all in all my comp changed by like 5%. I guess, there are still many companies who are not fully remote flexible and so us remoters have a little bit less leverage, but that doesn't mean we should accept getting screwed. Staff at my company would be 350k-500k

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

US salaries aren't inflated. If anything they've been subject to a history of suppression by the larger tech companies. It's really too bad that outside the US the market doesn't support higher wages

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Engineers make companies more money than they cost. The world can't get enough capable engineers. There is no end in sight to software eating the world and engineer supply does not meet demand.

Are lawyers, doctors, financiers overpaid too? What does overpaid mean?

This guy will harp on this more often and better than I can https://twitter.com/patio11/status/936636114319826945

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

We've found one of those 10x engineers twitter told us about

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

School of How posted:

If the code is working, then it's maintainable. I can't fathom an example of working code that is not maintainable.

You are a hack and a stain on the profession, or at best a pretty lousy troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You love to see it.

Don’t worry though, the cynicism only gets worse. You just learn when to turn it on and off better.