Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

How do you accept an offer with such little idea of what you'll be doing?
For some people this isn't an issue and for some people it is. Everyone comes to their own decision on this sort of stuff.

If it's an issue for you then you go to companies with a hiring process that is more specific in its job postings and involves the development team more.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's not an issue that it's an issue for me, right?
Nope, not an issue. I know plenty of people who have turned down otherwise good offers because the employer couldn't make any guarantee which team the applicant would land on. They would have been dropped in the Software Engineer ball pit for teams to pluck out after whatever onboarding takes place.

Also it sounds like you've got plenty of leads to chase and you're currently employed, so you can afford to be picky.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How does anyone actually get hired, I guess, is my question??? Sheer high volume of interviews conducted?
If your approach is to fire off applications into the void, then yes it's mostly a numbers game. Otherwise...

JehovahsWetness posted:

Personal reference / network or poached from current position by someone already inside the company is how I see a lot of positions filled and how we've gotten almost all of our good candidates.

Thots and Prayers posted:

I got one via a Job Fair introduction in 1998. Networked that one into positions through today.
...it's this. Networking and endorsements by reputable folks. You still have to actually get yourself hired, but you often get to skip the line and a lot of the bullshit filters, thus greatly increasing your odds of success.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 26, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lmao the place where I pretty much nailed all 3 interviews last week is still "mixed". I don't even get it. What the gently caress do I need to do to "pass" these arbitrary interviews? I"m getting the objectively correct solutions and being told in the interview "great, yeah that's enough!".
I'm going to phrase this in the most polite way possible because I'm not trying to be a dick at all: how do you believe you're doing (in the limited time that you talk to these people) from a personality fit standpoint? Do you feel like you've got good rapport? Do you come across as personable?

Just trying to get what you believe is an honest assessment of your personality fit from these interviews, because it sounds like you're crushing it from a technical standpoint.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why would you want to *leave* Google?
I know plenty of people who have either turned down Google offers or left of their own accord. The reasons can vary from person to person, but it often came down to being on teams that were uninteresting to them. Otherwise the work environment is generally nice.

People prioritize different things, and Google isn’t the Promise Land for everyone.

I've been mourning the loss of my poor doggo earlier this week which has been really tough on me. Not even sure how my brain is functioning, to be honest.
Dang, sorry about your dog. :(

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mrmcd posted:

Netflix seems to be doing fine as a business but I don't think their head count is anywhere close to the big five afaik.
They also have fairly different recruiting practices. They tend to avoid junior and entry-level positions (any time I've looked at their job listings everything is senior and up), and don't really do university recruitment or internships.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

In academia people take sabbaticals as a matter of course. They usually use them to write a book. It’s literally never a bad thing because they’re still a professor of whatever at their institution while they’re on sabbatical.
These days it’s usually a startup not a book, but the general leave idea is the same.

Except if the startup takes off they often don’t come back. Adios, Peter Bailis.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Forgall posted:

There's this list: https://github.com/MunGell/awesome-for-beginners But it feels like it'd take me weeks or more of trying to understand codebase to make any change in any of those projects.
You know what you have to do at jobs? Demonstrate that you can understand large, existing codebases.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

asur posted:

Isn't every Masters in CS paid for?
Absolutely not. I had funded and non-funded offers to consider a couple of years ago. Ideally if it’s a non-funded offer you can find a way for an employer to pay for some or all of it, but that’s not always possible.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 12, 2019

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Careful Drums posted:

Fuckin hell, Nashville walked
lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

runupon cracker posted:

"my employer has asked that I keep my salary confidential, as I'm sure you request the same of your employees." It's 100% true
That’s illegal too. :ssh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Anyone have experience with Google team match? Approximately how long does it take and how many teams do you talk to?
Folks I know who have offers right now are making it sound like they don't expect to match until after revised headcounts are revealed in the new year.

edit: Actually that's Facebook offers I think, nevermind.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Officially got a Senior Engineer title after 5+ years in the industry :toot:

Now to be told how I’m not actually a Senior Engineer. Hit me!
Look at this scrub who isn't a Member of the Technical Staff.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Has Amazon fixed their issues of massive burnout and being miserly in stupid ways with their budget? Those were definitely problems back in the mid-2000's, and I'm curious how much of that was culture vs. some kind of growing pains or something.
Like a lot of large companies with diverse products, I think it depends on the team that you're on. The folks I know on the Redshift and Aurora teams are having a great time.

Amazon also has a shitload more money than they had 15 years ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

They're a client of ours. I don't think I'd like working there...
I only know people on the SDB team and it sounds awesome, but couldn't really say anything about the rest of the company.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh
Hi friend!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

oliveoil posted:

What are the types of companies that pay the most nowadays?
You can burn fast and bright in fintech, specifically HFT. It doesn't seem like a terribly happy environment to me. Otherwise for recent stuff that comes to mind, Databricks is a unicorn and throwing shitloads of money at my peers. Snowflake used to be a pretty enticing opportunity, but I don't know how things have changed since their IPO last year. I suspect there are still some great opportunities in the cloud data warehouse area.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Top tl;dr here: What kind of stuff would you say a successful Linux kernel developer can do in regular day-to-day stuff? I kind of want to compile a list of skills to move towards.
As hendersa pointed out, embedded development shows one extreme view. From my perspective, I drank the BPF (or eBPF) kool-aid and believe its stock is quite high if you can find the right teams to talk to. Watch this talk, see if anything Brendan talks about here sparks your interest, and consider registering (for free) for eBPF Summit 2021 to participate in the talks in a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pmXdG8-7WU

BPF is changing the game for Linux observability, networking, and DPDK-like kernel bypass stuff. If you're interested in high-performance cloud applications running on Linux, I expect having a passing knowledge of BPF will eventually become a necessity, and right now would make you quite marketable. You'll need some Linux kernel knowledge to write effective BPF software, but the idea here is that you're not compiling the kernel from scratch or even writing kernel modules that could bring down the entire system.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 2, 2021