Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I'm tired of my job. The pay and benefits are fine, but the work is pretty miserable. It's a lot of developing on top of proprietary systems. Challenging for all the wrong reasons. I can screw around for half the day and still make everyone happy with the amount of work I get done. The bar is low.

I feel like I'm in a slump because I am pretty much sick of computers by the time I get home. I try to do "startup" projects on the side to give me a reason to learn new languages and such. Part of me starts to wonder if I don't like my trade anymore, but I have a blast when I work on my own stuff. It's just hard to get started going.

I need to get myself out of this place because it is clearly toxic. I'm really bad at interviewing and I think that's holding me back. I'm not a genius, but I know I'm really good at what I do. I just totally gently caress up the white boarding stuff because I'm horrible at being on the spot. I freeze up, but can solve the problems in no time after the fact under real working conditions. How do I get better at this? Do I need to?

Lastly, how do you approach job postings that don't list salary information? I don't want to waste my time or theirs if we're far apart on expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Strong Sauce posted:

Download Cracking the coding interview free pdf. (Note there are some errors in the book)
Buy a whiteboard.
Grind it out.

Thanks, bought a copy on Amazon. I don't like wasting time on this, but it seems like a necessary evil. Hopefully I will really learn some new things along the way.

I have a buddy in a similar situation, so we're going to grab a pizza once in a while and mock white board interview.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I noticed a job posting recently from a recruiter for my company. The salary range was about 20k higher than I currently make. Annual reviews are wrapping up pretty soon and I doubt they'll just bump me up there. It's a pleasant place to work, but I don't want to get dicked around either. Have you guys had any luck in this area? Is it better to be a straight shooter and say you're going to be looking for a new job, or drop more subtle hints? I've been at this place for over five years, and I'm usually the go to guy for most things, so a solid reputation. I also know they have trouble finding talent.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks for the advice. You put it in a way that comes across as serious but also nonthreatening.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Someone please convince me I'm not a bad person for going along with what follows.

Today I was invited to a meeting titled "International Expansion 2015." It was already a downer when I assumed it was going to involve localizing our products, but it was worse.

They want us to serve all European traffic out of our data center in Europe. (I think only a few things are set up there currently.) This sounds perfectly wise for the obvious latency reasons, but that's not the driving force.

They basically want to use some corporate tax loophole to minimize what they need to pay Uncle Sam. I know plenty of companies do this kind of stuff, but I'm just used to reading about it and shaking my head, not actively participating. Should I feel such an ethical dilemma?

Oh yeah, and they want it done by April 15th. We have dozens of products, many legacy with the original people long gone. Sometimes I wish I was entry level again so nobody bothered me with these projects.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Che Delilas posted:

I'm pretty drat confident that you refusing to do the work or objecting will result in them re-thinking the ethics of tax dodging, though.

I should have clarified, we don't actually ship a physical product, it's all consumer software. Also it's a multi-billion dollar company, so there is no chance they'll re-think it.

Sorry if I came off overly dramatic. I would quit if we were supporting the human sex trade. This just feels gross.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I go in cycles where I start to feel burned out, and then I remind myself to stop giving so many shits because nobody else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
My company won't get rid of the clause, so every few months I waste their time approving some vague idea I may or may not pursue.