Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just did somewhat the same about a year and a half ago, moved away from NOVA working lovely DoD contracts where everyone was a contractor and out to backstab everyone else and moved back to my hometown, pretty big pay cut, but cost of living is way cheaper and there's not 20 miles of red tape to actually implement new features and such. Also much less stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

heres the deal w new stuff in startupland: you get more room in practice and you will get large rewards technically from using as little of that room as you can. one or two secret weapons, is the byword

poo poo is a lot faster tho

yeah, i left about 13 year of DoD contracting to move to a ~300 person company with a dev department of about 50 and the pace will take some getting used to, also the code, legacy or not is so much better and well organized than anything I saw in my entire time working as a gov contractor.

also way more responsive if you request stuff, all of the dev were bitching about their laptops not having enough ram and within a month they ordered like 50 new laptops with twice the ram and updated CPUs and handed them out.

also when the wfh thing started they basically said 'go take anything you need from your desk to work at home including your chair if you want'

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yep. One of my hesitations is that they are an "unlimited PTO" company, and we all know what that means in practice.

I worked at a place like this, and basically what it meant was that you had to plan your vacation per quarter, but there was no real limit on what you could take (sick days, and poo poo coming up were obviously different)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whenever you're learning a process as a newbie, ask if there's documentation. If there isn't, take notes, and those will become the documentation to help onboard future employees (and if there is documentation, note down any discrepancies and get them fixed). You don't really want to be the Bastion of Onboarding Knowledge, but on the other hand the org will be vastly improved by streamlining this stuff and it's a great way for you to start making an impact right out of the gate.

This was the exact onboarding process for a project that I worked on, don't know the answer search the wiki, still nothing? Find someone that can help you, it's up to you to add a new wiki page. Half of your first day was getting up to speed on editing wiki pages and the syntax and all. After like a 6-9 months almost everything was documented and when a new feature was added whoever developed it did the documentation out of habbit

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Victorian posted:

Really tempted to respond to the guy just to ask what the gently caress (and tell him not to contact me about dumb gigs like this in the future or at all), but maybe sharing here will help me resist the urge.

I get these all the time because apparently I have a like 3 year old resume on clearance jobs (lost the password, and don't really care) even though I don't live anywhere near the DC/NOVA area anymore. They are all something like C#/JS/node/Java/Python/PowerShell/*cloud word salad* developer + full cloud development, deployment, testing/QA and devops experience.

So either they are really hurting for people (which they are) or you want you to do the work of 3-4 people depending on how much of each they expect you to do, also you can't do any of this work remote.

e: Most of the signing bonuses are like 15K after 180 days though