Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

lifg posted:

I have an interview soon, and part of it is lunch with a manager. How do I use this time effectively? What do managers look for during this? How hard should I sell myself?

What do people recommend?

For christ's sake, chew with your mouth closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Oldie programming: Career advice - he's dead now anyway so it doesn't matter.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I usually just check for reviews that might deal with recent management changes or shakeups.

Seeing that a company was just bought, the CEO cashed out and new management is ruining things trying to save as much money before they turnover the company is a huge red flag for me.

A recruiter that was looking for me last year gave me two leads that both had these issues. I did a phone screen with one of them and the guy I talked to just kept trying to change the subject when I brought it up.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Did you work at Oculus or Facebook or something

Or at my company. Suddenly La Croix is the thing in our fridge. :barf:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I used to hate them and hint, then I realized once I was almost prediabetic that it wasn't supposed to taste good, it was supposed to have enough taste to make me not feel like drinking sugarwater.

I try to stay away from the fizzy drinks, but I have a softspot for good ginger ale. I usually bring a gallon of Trop50 to the office each week to drink just so I know I have an alternative to water. We have a small enough office that even if others drink it, it lasts the entire week.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

oliveoil posted:

Wait. Then if you got, say, an offer from Amazon and an offer from Microsoft, you couldn't just, you know, tell Amazon that Microsoft offered you 20% more, then when Amazon matches it, you go to Microsoft and tell them you'd love to work there, but Amazon made an offer and the neighborhood you'd live in is so much cheaper, and you'd need an extra 20% to make it break even, and then if they give you that 20%, you go back to Amazon and tell them you'd love to work with them but...

That's not how you're supposed to do it?

When I was at some Google events, I over heard recruiters talking several times about exactly this and that their counter offer would win the potential hire over Amazon or Uber.

Before I took my first real career position, I bluffed another company and surprisingly (to me) they matched and raised. I was always going to take the job I took, but at the same time, it gave me real pause for a moment that I could make much more. But getting out on my own and where I wanted to live took precedence.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

metztli posted:

What are some things that folks here wished they knew before they started their first official senior/team lead role?

That in some companies the people to whom you ultimately answer have no idea how to do anything and they will never listen to you and dealing with stakeholders and their expectations is like herding cats. Most of the time they're just loving idiots.

Also that if you're brought in to be a lead and all of your suggestions are poo poo on and ignored, to start looking for a new job immediately. Because at the point, you should know that they don't want a team leader. They want a Yes! Man and / or a fall guy.

Everything started really well. It was an ideal job and project on paper. Hugely popular website with massive amounts of data, interesting challenges with migration and a new product that I hadn't used before. Everyone was happy with what had been chosen. The first major part of my new role should not have been its peak.

The project fell into never ending scope creep and I left after feeling completely ineffective and burned out. Everything that I attempted to do to course correct was met with resistance. First from my boss and the stakeholders and eventually the rest of the team because they didn't want to get poo poo on like I had been. That was 2 years from the start of the project that was initially thought to be 6 months. They didn't finish the project for another year after I left.

geeves fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 30, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

God, I really hate how recruiters want you to meet for coffee and stop by their offices during work hours n poo poo. It always ends up being an attempt to sell you on some crap job you don't want. I think I'm gonna decline future visits of that sort.

I don't mind this. I just say the only time I'm free is lunch, so they take me to lunch.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best way to assess the health and lifespan of a startup? I've interviewed with one recently that seems to be doing well - and has been around a number of years - but I've realized I don't know how long the startup will continue to last. I was asked by my parents how they made their money, and I realized I don't really know, and only had a vague idea that they weren't really "owned" by anybody. I'm kind of startup stupid, actually :(

Is this even something worth worrying about? I personally feel that it'd be better to focus more on what you can do, how you can grow, and the product you're working with, especially since my current "safe choice" megacorp position where the idea was to stick around for 3+ years ended up getting run into the ground over the period of less than two. Counting on a very, very long term job seems like a bad idea when you're working in the tech field these days. I think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here.

In my mind, I'm thinking - does this company have the capacity to pay my base salary for at least two years?

I've worked for 3 startups. One that went through 120m in less than a year due to overgrowth and two very small start ups that started with less than 30 people and significantly less money and grew slow and organically and even struggled at times and laid off 2 or 3 people at one point.

I'd ask what the growth plan is. One of our competitors had 50m in funding and hired ~150 developers and have just been burning through all of their cash because of it and have had layoffs and restructuring of everything below C-level. My company has been growing slowly, hiring maybe 2-3 people per year and spending it in a more methodical way (interesting note, my now-CFO was lower on the finance chain of the startup that burned through 120m 17 years ago and I think he learned first hand what not to do from his bosses back then).

Ask if they are cash flow positive or still relying on VC money? How many rounds of VC money have they taken? If they say something like, "we just closed 50m in funding and we want to bring on a reasonable number of developers, qa, etc. and grow the product" that's probably a good thing. If they say they're plans are to triple the team blindly... maybe that's a red flag.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Our Operations people had us install JAMF on our machines last week. Exempting the C-levels of course (kept secret from the rest of the company, which given our company's mission and values is highly hypocritical).

First email this week: "Please respond if you must use firefox and why or else it will be removed from your machine."

I'm one of the few trusted with access to production machines but apparently not my own imac. Amazing.

:lol:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is this "We want you to only use $other_browser" or "we don't want you on the internet while at work"?

Head of operations using a steamroller to kill some ants.

It’s we just wasted 25k on something not needed instead of something useful like licenses for things that could be actually helpful for the company.

I already have to hard refresh every page to get the JS and CSS to load now.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Though it doesn't change the fact that HR works for the company, not for you.

Definitely do not go to HR with any problems you may have, either. My sister went to HR a few months back to discuss a toxic situation she had with her manager - interestingly, her manager was a friend of hers from either college or HS and they were excited to work together.

Her manager couldn't manage (or deal with her superiors) and went batshit not being able to handle her own job made increasingly insane demands of her time and even demanded she be available during her vacation (my sister, her husband and me and some family all went away together) and she spent a good bit of it working.

About a week or so before we went on vacation she talked to HR as a last resort of not being able to deal with her toxic situation. The day she gets back from vacation she was fired. This happened a couple months ago and I just found out about it at Thanksgiving dinner. I immediately screamed that's retaliation, but how could she prove it.

gently caress HR.

In all honesty, it seems that these days you're better at lawyering up first before going to HR.

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 26, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It's just the nature of work culture.

It's the nature of non-unionized work - maybe. I've been reading biographies of Carnegie and Frick and I'm actively rooting for his workers to assassinate Frick for better pay.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is November hiring season or something for this tech industry? Because after many months of being black hole'd I got two interviews off of random LinkedIn messages. Both went past initial and second interviews but fell apart between the interviewing and the offer. Was also my first tech interview -- they were a lot easier than I thought they'd be! Although I imagine for big companies they'd make you do that hard stuff that I keep reading about.

Back to the black hole, though. It's really strange that my only responses came from when they initiated the contact with me via LinkedIn. It makes me feel like I should just stop applying and invest that time and effort into make my LinkedIn more appealing to recruiters instead.

Need to spend budget or perhaps hit a hiring quota to sustain said budget. 3/4 jobs I have been interviewed and hired in November or December.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

HR loves pop psych personality evaluation bullshit IME. I consulted at one place where employees were supposed to have some five axis graph pinned to their cube wall so people could tell how to communicate with them best. Seemed like all the technical people ignored that though, because I mostly saw them in the PMs' cubes.

What type of bird are you?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Getting promoted to management or deciding what I want my next role in the company to be or perhaps finally taking the plunge and moving to the Bay Area where a lot of my friends have gone to over the last couple years.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SV is halfway to admitting they are all secretly Mormons living in a drug fueled compound.

The funny thing is in SF, you don't have to be some tech elite to attend parties like this. They might not be fueled by tons of money, but women probably won't have their careers derailed because the VC brotatos aren't there.

geeves fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 2, 2018

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

How common are non-disparagement clauses?

I personally have never signed one, but I know a few friends who received them when they have been laid off in order to receive their severance.

A company usually knows their lovely (even if they are in denial about it) when they start making non-disparage agreements part of employment contracts.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

"at the company's discretion"

That sounds like dangerous and disingenuous language. Is the potential severance good to keep you afloat for a six months or is it basically 2 more weeks?

VS do you feel the burning need to name and shame and call out everyone at this company?

quote:

You're going to shortly be facing a problematic resume position because you haven't been able to hold down any job for very long

Possibly, but turning this into a "I know I was new to the company, and I was lead to believe the company embraced quality standards and wanted to continue to improve in this area. It quickly became apparent this was not the case and when I tried to suggest reasonable, positive change such as code review and unit testing and clear acceptance criteria for stories. They decided to write lovely code and let me go instead."

Maybe leave out the last sentence.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

It's extremely common in a startup environment to be focused on getting the next build out / the next feature implemented, because you need a demo to be able to secure your next round of funding. Anything that doesn't directly work towards that goal is unnecessary, even though you end up building tremendous technical debt in consequence. Technical debt can be addressed later when you have the funds for another six months' worth of operations...or if you don't get those funds, then the debt is irrelevant.

Coming into such an environment and trying to convince everyone to follow Good Coding Standards could easily be seen as problematic, no matter how well-intentioned you were.

Common but doesn't have to be the rule. Granted this might be the exception, but Instagram was what 5 people and had everything automated to update through their testable process. Some startups seem to be something like, it's going to take 6-12 months to unfuck you.

We bought a start up and integrated it into our platform in less than 6 months. It would have been sooner if that startup didn't insist on angular. Angular 1.x had longer implications on everything that I didn't have the power to avoid, but thankfully have the power to say, "NO".

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Yep, breaking in is the hardest part. Though my job search has gotten progressively longer for me, cause I’m lazy.

Are you tied strictly to Boston or are you also looking elsewhere?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

There’s nothing wrong with muting Slack and Emails after work hours. A company that asks you to do that without your explicit consent is pretty lovely, unless you’re running a critical system, and let’s be honest - most things we work on are not PagerDuty-at-2-am critical.

If my company every asked people to work past 5 or 6 or be available (unless purposely planned) there would be a revolt. It's safe to say that if it's later than 4:30 and the person you need input from is not in the office or online, then you only have juche until the next morning.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Outside of career chat: do you Google nerds use Gerrit internally? How do you like it? I'm finding the Git PR flow to be a massive, massive deducer in productivity on our team.

We tried Gerrit a couple of years ago, but never got it to work well with bitbucket. Granted we didn't try all too much and Gerrit felt kind of hacked together and unfinished.

I would love to try it again or find something else that does the same thing (usource?). But I have to pick and choose my battles and not overwhelm my coworkers while we hire more people.

I hate our entire git process because it just becomes a giant clusterfuck due some internal processes out of my team's control.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I really wish I could use a standing desk, but after trying a bunch of stuff it just hurts my back too much.

What I did instead was get a fitbit which reminds me every hour to take a break and then I go get on an elliptical for 10 minutes and try to hit a good, high heart rate.

Not only is this a healthy thing to do, but it's a great way to step back and break through whatever roadblocks you're coding through at the time.

You're doing the right thing to work on your core a bit and strengthen your abdomen / torso. That takes a lot of stress off your back. You don't even have to do that much, even 5-10 minutes in the morning evening does a lot.

What sucks is even just ~20lbs extra on your frame can cause havoc on your back - I can speak from experience.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My 2br/1.5 bath rent is $1850

That's what I pay in Pittsburgh :stonklol:

I have 1900 sq ft and off-street parking for that price.

But I don't live downtown, I'm about 2 miles outside of it and have a 10 minute commute (places downtown are small so small).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Who wants to start wokefromhome.io with me, a company that finds remote jobs for employees who care about doing Good for the world.

Only if it can be written in Rust and Web Assembly and all documentation will be in slack.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Orkiec posted:

If this is snark about upcoming news, it's a few hundred people, in retail, only in Seattle, i.e. less than a percent of corporate. Us AWS devs in Vancouver aren't slowing down hiring AFAIK :)

On Blind several Amazon people said it had to do with their app store and it also got rid of a massive family tree.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Orkiec posted:

Blind is a good place to find that the sky is falling down, a month ago everyone was panicking about them bringing stack-ranking back (they haven't).

True, but they corroborated the press and that layoffs were only in the low hundreds. It's not like thousands of engineers were suddenly laid off.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

did you miss the part where i got shitfaced and hosed a vp level exec at my company's insane drug-filled holiday party literally hours before meeting with the head of HR to discuss how i was't happy with management

e; this is not a brag, i regretted the decision immensely at the time and even further after i found out she was engaged

I did something similar when I started my first job. She wasn't VP, but she was a senior resource manager (think supply chain for people and projects around the country). This was during training for which the company brought in people from several offices to Boston for a week to get all the HR poo poo out of the way. Everyone was drunk and high the entire time. We didn't realize we were in the same office until the last day. That's when she told me she was married.

When we started everyone in the office already what had happened. We denied everything, but continued; she would send me to other offices with the cool projects that lasted weeks at a time, then found a reason to be there as well). Ahhh the dot com days. :dance:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

fantastic in plastic posted:

Congratulations on your promotion to Senior Consultant at a different employer.

Seriously search for a new job immediately and tell your current employer to gently caress off.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

There's a VP of Engineering post for a pretty well-known company to which I am applying. These don't pop up often (especially my city) so I'm going for it - what the hell?

I have never managed people before, BUT as a Principal Engineer and Team Lead, I have mentored nearly every engineer on my team. I work with the C-Suite often so I have no qualms about that. I've also written business cases for improvement to our application.

I know the full stack from sysadmin / devops to the front end and I know how to lean on and delegate tasks to those best suited for it (and when to delegate tasks to those to learn). I know when someone is bullshitting me vs when someone just needs to be pointed in the right direction.

What I'm worried about is becoming less hands off with code which I still love to do even with my long term goal of getting to the CTO level.

The description, despite the level, is everything that I do today, technology advocate, technology direction, etc.

It's not sure of if it's a question of if I'm ready... or more a question of if I really want this. It's the weekend so I have time.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

hendersa posted:

As a VP of Engineering, you will not do technical development. Period. If a company asks you to do such, you should decline the opportunity as it suggests mismanagement at higher levels. Simply put, that won't be your job anymore. Your job is to manage the managers that manage the doers. You are given direction from the president to arrange manpower, resources, and schedules within the engineering portion of the business as laid out per the business plan that was designed by the C-level staff and approved by the board of directors.

If you understand the technology, that's great. It will enable you to better communicate with your direct reports and better communicate the company's needs to them in such a way that it will make "sense" when passed down to the technical doers. If you have a reputation as being a strong engineer, that's great. It will give you some street cred with the doers and give them the feeling that someone in upper management understands the nuts and bolts of what they do.

Realistically, you're going to be repeatedly placed in the position of dealing with problems that you are unable to directly solve by getting hands-on. If you are a hands-on person, this is incredibly frustrating. You must rely upon your staff to actually fix things. For example, a big customer has a problem and complains directly to upper management via sales channels. You are told from upper management to get it fixed ASAP, but your staff are already overloaded because you have 10 job reqs sitting open and incoming resumes have been garbage. Something's got to give, so what is it going to be? What project is going to slip? Will the managers/developers actually support the context change and jump right on it to help? Will it generate lots of trash talk about marketing/sales from the doers and lower morale?

Ever had a bad manager that was really good at the tech stuff and awful at managing people? Those bad managers are now acting as your eyes, ears, and hands if you are the VP. Can you deal with that? Can you mentor bad managers into good ones? Can you spot good management skills in others and buoy them up via management training?

I would be quite nervous about any such opportunity until I could get the full story on how the position became vacant. A healthy organization should already have a senior manager or director that has been groomed for a VP position and is ready to step up. VP positions don't suddenly become available on the open market, bypassing a succession plan, unless something is going wrong.

Thanks! This is pretty much my expectation of what should happen as well. I work at small company and the VP of engineering here used to do a lot of hands on coding but isn't as hands on these days as we've grown a bit. I've already been through letting go of bits of the codebase that I put significant time into and I know that will only continue to happen.

The potential job is another small company ~200 or so in size. So if the VP role is anything similar to my company's current position, I think I have a good view into what goes into it.

Outside of a 6-month stint many, many years ago, I've been fortunate to have really good managers and mentors throughout my career and I hope that I've been learning the right lessons. (and that stint wasn't a bad person, I was just ignored with no direction).

Could I mentor bad managers that are bad managers because they don't know what they're doing with others or just need to work on the soft skills - I think I could do that - that's what 1 on 1s are for. Could I mentor bad managers that are assholes? Doubtful because they aren't wont to change. I like "no rear end in a top hat" policies even if unofficial.

I'm still going to apply for it and see what happens. If anything it will show me what I need to work on the next year or so to get there.

feedmegin posted:

This alone seems a bit alarming. How big is this well known company?

I know. About 200 total employees. And I know I have nothing outside of mentoring junior devs to show for it. However, often times, they come to me before going to their manager on issues. And I'm not talking about bugs, more team dynamics, company politics, etc. I also act as a buffer given my role and tell the product owner it's on my shoulders for a project's success and failure. But I know that's not management. That's just me knowing I will get poo poo done.

I've always been in startup culture a second too late. So all of the management positions are rare for the companies that attract my interest. I should already have been managing people now, but there were some circumstances that prevented me from taking one of those roles in my own company and I accept that (it wasn't performance-based, I was recovering from surgery when someone left and that role needed to be filled now). The role I wanted a few years ago the person who was brought it is great, don't get me wrong. But really I don't think it was the best move for the company in the long run.

hendersa posted:

I would be quite nervous about any such opportunity until I could get the full story on how the position became vacant. A healthy organization should already have a senior manager or director that has been groomed for a VP position and is ready to step up. VP positions don't suddenly become available on the open market, bypassing a succession plan, unless something is going wrong.

I am too. The company: I know someone there, so I'm trying to get more info on this and it will be a major talking point on what's going on.

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 25, 2018

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

What in the Java concurrency ecosystem would you ask a developer with ~4 years of experience? I haven't touched util.concurrent in a while since I've been doing 99% Spark stuff now but most of the microservice-y jobs I've been looking at stress great knowledge there and I'm definitely not as quick/knowledgable as I was 2 years ago. I could really use some tips on how to review it, most of the things that pop in my head are trivia type questions and I'm not sure what kind of system design questions I'd get that I can prep for.

Not too much. I have run into threading and concurrency issues, but they are so rare for what I've done that I haven't done much more than knowing to use ConcurrentHashMap more often as a just in case.

If you've read Java Concurrency in Practice, you can probably pick a couple of questions there.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

How will you tell the difference? The bad managers who are assholes will generally be trying to keep you from learning that fact, so it's not easy.

Agreed, it might not always be easy. I think empathy and accessibility go a long way and if you foster the right type of environment people won't stand for the wrong kinds of management or they will feel empowered to work alternate channels to effect change. Maybe that's idealistic. But a easier plan may be to simply get to know everyone. This is easier in a smaller company, obviously, but jesus, the poo poo I know about everyone in the company just talking with a coworkers is astounding.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

quote:

We are looking for:

Expertise in modern architectures (e.g., micro services, event-based, map-reduce, etc.)

Map reduce is now an architecture?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

pigdog posted:

var keyword in Java 10 will be able to reduce wordiness even further without sacrificing any type safety.

code:
// with explicit types
No no = new No();
AmountIncrease<BigDecimal> more = new BigDecimalAmountIncrease();
HorizontalConnection<LinePosition, LinePosition> jumping =  new HorizontalLinePositionConnection();
Variable variable = new Constant(5);
List<String> names = List.of("Max", "Maria");

// with inferred types
var no = new No();
var more = new BigDecimalAmountIncrease();
var jumping = new HorizontalLinePositionConnection();
var variable = new Constant(5);
var names = List.of("Max", "Maria");

var is also kept to local values and not class members, like you can find elsewhere.

Here's a more in-depth style guide that I've been following in updating to Java 10 http://openjdk.java.net/projects/amber/LVTIstyle.html

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

The first hired team usually gets 10-15%. Eric Ries' The Lean Startup has a chapter on typical distributions that you should definitely read if you're in that situation.

I was hired as Employee #1 and negotiated for 2.5 points. I was laid off before I hit the 1 year cliff. So ask about "runway" too.

Also Slicing Pie is another good book that talks about this. https://slicingpie.com/book/

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

withoutclass posted:

I'm not sure Scala is a good pick for career or sanity. SBT is some kind of hellspawn.

A true non-user of SBT will not drown when tested.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

fantastic in plastic posted:

A few years ago the consulting company I worked for had a client whose CTO insisted we use Node and some weird cloud-based database for a greenfield project. A month or so after we started, the client fired the CTO.

Client shouldn't have hired a 23 year old to be CTO.

I've never used Node, but I assume most of the backlash is from people that think that Javascript is the worst language in common use today, so why on earth would you use it anywhere you don't absolutely have to?

Also some people can't get over the whole Single Thread thing

geeves fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hiring managers, post some of your questions for junior/mid-level engineers. Nobody knows where you work, unless you're at Google really.

I just shamelessly steal problems from codewars.com. Found a few good problems there. The one we've been asking our recent interviewees is http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MultiplicativePersistence.html

quote:

I guess the real takeaway is: how do you mask lovely job experience where you're not given much of an opportunity to progress?

"While I've enjoyed my time at Fubared Company, I have not been given the opportunity to learn as I was promised and the company's inability to innovate could stagnate my skills and teach me the wrong lessons."