Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Hey thread,

Mostly anecdotal evidence, but what is your general success rate of interviews / offers?

I am having a lot of frustration with getting a new job. My background is 3 years experience in software, still at my first job in central PA. I don't have a formal CS degree, but I do have a BS in Physics, and I do take open courseware to try to plug the gaps in fundamentals I sometimes have. I have been applying to positions in Philadelphia and NYC, with a preference for NYC. Since starting the job hunt 1.5 years ago, I have gotten 10 in-person interviews and received 0 job offers.

This has been pretty annoying. A few days ago I had what was on my end a really good interview that included a coding exercise, data modeling/design exercise, and a more loose cultural fit session. I was able to solve all of the exercises pretty quickly, and the third part seemed to go well. However, I still received a rejection notice afterwards. Based on what I read on Glassdoor, there would have been one more short interview with management as the final part of the process had it continued.

Of the rest of the interviews, 1 went poorly on my end, 2 were technically beyond my level at the time, and in 1 case the position was dissolved without hiring anyone. However, the other ones didn't have anything stand out that was really wrong. I almost always can complete all of the whiteboarding and design challenges, and I make sure to detail my thought process as I go through them so I am not totally silent while writing things out.

I mostly use Python and JavaScript in a full-stack type of role, so I have been applying to various web or Python positions, none of which have been senior or above.

I have only once received actual feedback afterwards, which was them choosing a candidate with more practical experience. Most of the time, I either only receive a rejection or no word at all.

This seems like an unusually poor turnout based on what experiences I have read from others. However, I don't know if this is unusual for someone at a no-name company, in a no-name location, without a CS degree, trying to go after positions in a more competitive market like NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Is your personality off-putting?

It hasn't really come up that way anywhere else in life. I speak casually and I am not usually all that quiet at interviews. I generally try to make the interviewer relax in a situation that can be awkward on both sides. I have interviewed candidates that have had a lot of difficulty speaking at all, but my personality isn't like that.

I'm pretty humble when it comes to technical topics, too, so it isn't like I'm an rear end in a top hat, either.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Act relaxed. There's a cycle to interpersonal relations: how you think affects how you act, which affects how the other person thinks, which affects how they act, which affects how you think.... There's a proper name for this, but I forget what it is. But the upshot is that if you make a conscious effort to act relaxed, then the person you're talking to will subconsciously pick up on that and be less stressed themselves -- which in turn will help make you less stressed.

You can also try to pick up on how formal they're being, and mirror that level of formality. If they're being super-casual, then you can be casual in return. If they're being formal, then you'll be better-off acting more professional. But honestly I wouldn't worry about this as much, if only because it's hard enough to handle the surface level aspects of an interview without worrying about the body language stuff. Especially if you're the type to overthink things. The #1 thing IMO is to try to relax. De-escalating a stressful situation will directly make the interview easier.

This, pretty much. If I am relaxed, they generally are, too. A lot of it is in message delivery and body language.

And the exact atmosphere matters here, too. I will generally be little bit more casual if my interviewers are in their early-mid twenties and wearing hoodies and cargo pants. If they are business casual, I will be more formal. And if the business is even more conservative (like in a lot of finance), then I am even more formal. This is especially true when speaking with a VP or C-level.

necrobobsledder posted:

Three interviews and no offers is nothing terrible of a record IMO. Companies can be really flakey and many interviewers are Bad At Interviewing and mostly subconsciously select for people similar to themselves. I went through four interviews with no offers for various reasons having nothing to do with whether I was qualified or my personality. Budgets get messed up, you might be way too expensive they realize, and sometimes interviewers quit and drop the ball on your process before leaving.

I know it's hard to accept rejection but if you think of it like asking out girls you should feel better... probably because most goons have better interviewing skills than pick-up skills.

I wouldn't be so concerned if it was three interviews, but unfortunately it is ten with no offers.

I'm not surprised that some of them didn't lead to anything, but the majority of them, to me, didn't have hiccups, either. I don't think it is an anomaly, but I wasn't sure if others have had similar experiences.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

The last several posts have been cool and good and now I'll shoot for the stars and try for the big companies in NYC/Seattle.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Similarly, any Facebook duders have some hot tips about their SWE interview process? I have a first round phone screen set up in about a week and have been preparing, but any resources about what they look for or what to expect would be nice. This is my first time with one of the tech giants.

I have some material from one of their recruiters, and a copy of CTCI, if that helps.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

This is all valuable stuff, so thanks for the insight.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

If you have been laid off, how would you indicate that to companies you are interviewing with? On Thursday my ex-boss had a wonderful epiphany and decided to lay off the entire staff... of the entire company. Rather suddenly, too.

I am in the middle of interviewing now and I'm not sure how to spin my changed status in a way that doesn't reduce my attractiveness as a candidate. Unless it doesn't have much of an impact, but to me my gut feeling says it would anyway.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Haha, OK. It looks like it is less of a deal than I thought. I haven't been in this position before and wasn't sure what to think.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Ploft-shell crab posted:

an offer arrives.

they hit my (unspoken) target on their initial offer(a >50% raise over my current salary!!), but according to what I've read I guess I should still ask for more? is there any resources anyone recommends on salary negotiation?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Generally, if they gave you an offer, they have already invested a lot in you. Just don't be a dick or outrageous about it.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

Anyone here had a Google front end interview? Was it still as algorithm heavy as a standard SWE interview?

Yes. Just some questions _may_ concern the DOM. But the rest were all based on trees/graphs/etc.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Sounds good to me. It's been about a year since I last interviewed there so time to do it again.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

I have to help maintain a part of the platform in Coffeescript/Backbone and ugh. At least it isn't the main function of my job

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Current SWE offers are insane. Just got a 69% TC pay bump with this new one. :nice:

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

For people looking for opportunities from US => EU, are there particular resources that are good for that? Visa implications means I'd want to secure a job to help with the paperwork, but this is a new world for me.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My reading was they wanted to move from the US to the EU, though.

This is correct. I've been in Denmark for the past month and can really see myself prospering here in a way that I haven't felt in a long time.

I have no real familial connections to a Danish background, but have been working in development for almost a decade. Also am super white (to the degree that people here assume I'm Danish at first lol) so that would make things easier.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Or Italy through my dad, except it went fash again so mmm nah.

Yeah, my dad's side is also Italian but lmao at going there now.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Osmosisch posted:

The entire subcontinent is going full fash but it's not like that's a gigantic difference with the USA so I wouldn't let that part bother you too much, especially if you're white. Who knows, you might be able to help a bit with local counter-effort instead.

Once again, being white in name and appearance prevails :cool:

:smith:

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

oldjob used to blow me up:
* on vacation
* over the holidays, at my son's birthday lunch
* late at night when I'm trying to evacuate from a goddamned wildfire
* when i'm in the middle of interviewing for another job (lol my phone was off of course)

faang job pays me a lot better and when i am done with work, i am _done with work_

Same at a faang-lite. Gonna feel weird when I return back to a smaller company in a few months, but at least it is in the EU and they take that after-hours poo poo very seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

I am in the middle of a move to Copenhagen from the US.

I started the process by simply applying to Danish tech jobs on LinkedIn and checking if they offered visa sponsorship. That narrowed things down a lot since many did not. Did the standard interview process (though theirs had fewer steps), got and signed the offer, and started apartment hunting. Overall, the process took about 5-6 mo. Note that I intentionally applied to places where English was the primary language used.

I am also single, with no children or pets. That made the whole thing much easier.

Overall, my compensation is much lower than what I make in the states, and my take-home is also lower after taxes/rent/expenses. Quite a lot, even. But I really have loved the time I've spent over there and I can't easily quantify the mental strain of everything that happens in the US and what it does to me on a day-to-day aspect. Also helps that I don't mind the weather.