Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I want a new job. I'd had the same IoT embedded systems job since I graduated college four years ago and I haven't been very stimulated/happy for the last ~two years. My intuition tells me it's not going to get much better. Besides that, I have a feeling it's time for a change. The pay is pretty good for the area though.

I've done a handful of interviews scattered over the last two years without any offers. I figured it's a typical experience but it bums me out more than a little.

Remote work would be awesome since I don't exactly live within a reasonable commute of silicon valley. It's kind of hard to find that in embedded/Linux/C-land though.

Where are people searching for jobs nowadays? I've been hitting up indeed a few times a week, is that still a solid place to look?

I've actually only had luck getting interviews with personal referrals. Online applications just disappear into a void. I've got (what I think is) a solid resume that I tailor to each posting and take the time to write a cover letter that follows the gist of the application.

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Is there an exact way to determine total compensation? I mean beyond salary and stock. Are people guessing the value of health insurance and perquisites?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
My 2018 computer job goals are:
* Quit my current job.
* Work on my project car. Work on some electronics and programming projects. Enjoy life.
* Pay the bills with programming contract work when not working isn't fun anymore. Maybe even get an interesting non-computer part-time job.
* Do a foreign language immersion program around June.
* Study interview questions and find a good new computer job after I get back around August.

Hopefully the programming job market doesn't collapse while I'm out of it

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cirofren posted:

We do this a lot. Getting a full time employee involves coordination with HR and the CFO, separate candidate interviews with HR and the CFO, a series of tests, and a pre-employment medical. It can take months. If I need hands on keyboards in anything less than 8 weeks it'll be a contractor and if they're good it's always easier to onboard when they're already in the building.

What software area requires a medical examination???