Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cicero posted:

I took a programming aptitude test like that in my senior year, when I was applying to Pariveda, a software consulting company. It just described the syntax for a simple language you haven't seen before, and then you did some very simple problems in that language. Me and the other CS major taking it (most of the people in the room were MIS) finished it very quickly, anyone with significant programming experience would find it trivial.

As a former employee there, I can tell you it was the B-APT test seen here: http://www.psy-test.com/Baptd.html (may have been the advanced one, I don't know which one they gave)

And while they never really hired anybody who was a total zero at programming, they could have been weeded out after a false positive on passing the test for all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sarehu posted:

You have to understand that I might form opinions from tone and word choice in writing that might not be the same as other people's
Understatement of the still-young century?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I find myself regretting signing my non-disparagement clause recently – I don't want to trash talk, but my fear of retribution for saying anything is weighing really heavily on me right now to the point I'm troubled even talking to my friends about it.

I imagine not everyone has the same priorities, but I would probably drop that offer.

If it's that hard to bite your tongue for a year then yeah I guess it'd be worth passing. I've had been subject to one and whenever it came up you just say "I can't talk about it". If you're particularly snarky you can make implications that get the point across because nobody's going to sue over that unless you're doing it to the head of legal of the company you're not supposed to disparage. I think one of the main ideas is that after a year you'll be over it enough that you won't say anything. I did anyway (tactfully of course).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doghouse posted:

A recruiter one contacted me with a job posting that repeatedly emphasized the need for Java .Net skills.

You found the mythical users of J#

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

My company wants to reduce my title and salary because "our team is too expensive for the value they provide." I only took this job over other offers because of how much they were going to pay me. I have zero passion for the domain problems they address.

I'm ready to jump ship already because this place is a mess but I've only been here since February and don't know how that will look on my CV

Sever

But yeah one blip that you can explain (more or less say what you said here except the whole "I took this job for money but don't care about it") shouldn't sink you with anyone you'd actually want to work for anyway

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 7, 2016

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Space Whale posted:

EDIT: Also, what's the correct way to gracefully dodge the question and not badmouth a prior employer besides "bad fit," particularly when your employer's policy is to not discuss anything whatsoever except time of employment?
In my opinion, you can say negative things about a prior employer as long as it's a fact-based assessment.

The career track at a previous employer of mine would have had me doing more sales-like stuff as I moved up and less technical things, which was not something I wanted to do. It doesn't make them bad it just made it something I didn't want to do so I saw it as a negative. I don't think most people would think that's "badmouthing" them, so it's not burning any bridges or anything, but it does provide perspective on why I was interested in working elsewhere.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Skandranon posted:

Tell him he's the one who shouldn't get a raise because he's obviously delegating most of his job to you.

:golfclap:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

Can't it be both?

Can't both be unacceptable?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Stinky_Pete posted:

I was thinking something more like

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 i quit good poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌quit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌I Quit

dude you already knew what to write so why did you ask :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Agreed, but in what I think are nicer terms: they're being so considerate to you because they think it's worth their investment to cater to you in the hopes that you give them the exact consideration you're doing. Like all investments, they know there's a risk involved and that even this may not convince you to stay. You have no obligation to stay, and nobody should begrudge you for doing what's best for you.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And that is a problem with American employment overall rather than just with software. Everybody I've ever worked for has talked about how important loyalty is and how it's a huge deal that people should be loyal to who they work for while offering nothing but a paycheck in return.

This is something I've never heard except from higher ups who would benefit from this silly attitude. Even at the company where it was most team-centric, it was pretty well understood that you'd be silly not to at least keep your options open even if you're not actively looking.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Did you read my post lol

It's grammatically ambiguous. It could be saying everywhere you interviewed was a startup except for Google (which is what I'm sure you mean) or you interviewed at all of the startups except for Google.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

redleader posted:

Oldie Programming: start looking for another job

Honestly, never stop looking for another job, just in varying degrees. At a base level, maintain old relationships and contacts to keep your network. Then preferably also network a bit outside that at user groups/conventions/any other gathering of like-minded industry folks. Any "looking" beyond that depends on how ready you are to move on from your current position, but keep doing these other two things and even should the unexpected occur you're unlikely to be out of luck for that long.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LLSix posted:

Are there any goons who have or know of positive workplaces that use an open office layout? Everything I've read about open offices suggest they're terrible and I'm tempted to consider it an automatic hard pass when interviewing at new companies. Maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake though. I've worked in a cubicle farm once and it wasn't too bad, although my coworkers having political debates 3-4 times a week was pretty distracting.

I've worked in it in two different jobs and it was pretty good both times. The first did tend to be more quiet and there were enough huddle rooms around where if you were going to take a call or have more than two people in a conversation you could grab a room and it was relatively quiet. Where I'm at now it's got way less opportunity for that so it means you need to be prepared to throw on a headset/headphones if you need less distraction and can't get a room booked. I like being able to see people come and go and easily look to see if someone's available, personally, but I'm able to go heads down and focus if I need to in spite of the potential distraction. I can see it potentially bothering some folks but we haven't had any real complaints.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

As I recall 2005 was a bad year for new members.

sup :smugdog:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

School of How posted:

I don't believe those numbers one bit. First off, no one has a crystal ball to predict the future. There is no way for them to know what future growth will look like. Secondly, I believe what I've seen with my own two eyes over some retarded "study" published by the government. I've seen first hand the oversaturation grow over the years. Also, if you read the report, nowhere does it explain their methodology on how they come up with those numbers. All they say is that the numbers are based on "projections". In other words the numbers are pulled out of their asses.

They note their source, which is their projections program which has a pretty long explanation of their methodology actually.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

School of How posted:

Lets summarize the arguments this thread has produced against the idea of oversaturation:

* I'm an incel
* I'm an rear end in a top hat
* I'm terrible on teams
* I'm an incompetent programmer

None of these are true. Therefore none of these "arguments" are convincing me of anything. If someone has an actual argument, I'm willing to hear them out.

What it's going to take for me to convince you that oversaturation is true?

"You made a statement in public for all to hear. Are you unable to defend the statements you make? Or simply unwilling to have a reasonable discussion?"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

More like School of How To Become That One Person Everybody Complains About After You're Gone

"After" if you're lucky

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

lifg posted:

I like How. Nothing shows us what we have in common like someone as wrong as How.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

lifg posted:

There's no wrong way to learn new things.

What? Sure there is. You learn how to do those things the wrong way that then requires unlearning them so you can do them the right way. That's the wrong way to learn those things.