Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

There's no reason to put references in your resume. Honestly, I don't even know the last time I was asked for references during a hiring process.

I got this questionnaire once for one of my ex-coworkers:

quote:

Accurate Background, Inc. is a background screening company and candidate’s name listed you as a reference. She/he provided your email address to aid in obtaining a reference in his/her regard. If you could please take a moment to answer the following questions, we would greatly appreciate your help. Please contact me if you have any questions regarding this reference request.
Q1: What was his or her position and to whom did he or she report?

Q2: Please define his or her scope of responsibilities.

Q3: How would you describe his or her overall quality of work and work performance?

Q4: What are his or her strongest attributes?

Q5: Are there any areas where he or she could improve with additional training or experience?

Q6: Did he or she work well in stressful situations?

Q7: Please give me an example of an accomplishment that comes to mind.

Q8: How did he or she get along with superiors and peers? Please describe his or her interpersonal skills.

Q9: Please describe his or her communication skills.

Q10: Was he or she reliable?

Q11: Would you hire/rehire this person?

Q12: Any additional comments?​

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Sign posted:

They aren't supposed to actively do any coding but are supposed to do design and code reviews. So kind of.

Give them example commits for them to code review

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

pr0zac posted:

I guarantee you unless you're applying for a specific position like Android developer, the programming interviews will be choose-your-own-language.

Really though, you're over thinking everything.

I applied for a position as an Android developer and I got interviewed in C++ and Objective-C

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yes, hardware mocking is definitely as easy as downloading a framework and plugging it in /s

I wouldn't count on an embedded system to necessarily have a lot of extra hooks or extra memory to make it as easy as you say.

Presumably, he isn't sshing into an embedded system and running git pull and restarting uwsgi.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Very few companies give out stock options now in favor of restricted stock units.

This is entirely untrue. Most startups start out giving stock options, and shift to RSUs when the company's 409A valuation goes up enough that options become more and more worthless.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Cryolite posted:

He said once the equity vests you can sell it, however I don't understand who I'd be selling it to if it isn't public (unless it would just be selling it back to the company or other employees).

There are private secuirity markets like Sharespost that let people buy/sell shares in private companies. If the company isn't famous or large, it's unlikely that you'll actually be able to sell them, though.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

What's cool and fun to code these days?

mips asm

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

It's primarily PHP though, which is nice.

wat

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Stinky_Pete posted:

My Google recruiter has been great. He got me 10k more than I asked for in base salary and was responsive throughout the process.

This doesn't really have anything to do with your recruiter. If the number the compensation committee comes up with is higher than what you're asking for, they'll give you that amount.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Welp, my 3 top picks after Google gave me 2nd round invites, so I guess I better get that phone screen with Google scheduled. If I do pass that, what's the turnaround between initial phone screen and in person?

Depends on how lucky you are and how well you do at a phone screen. If you mention to your recruiter that you're actively interviewing with other companies, it should be reasonably quick.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

He also sounded like he hated his job.

The vast majority of Googlers hate interviewing.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Paolomania posted:

google-earth-with-only-california.png

there are way too many goonglers in here

mrmcd posted:

US-NYC-9TH office best office.

nope, US-MTV-43 #1, we have the best cafe and the worst cafe

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

apseudonym posted:

Yoshkas sucks but at least we don't get the tours going through and raiding our kitchen anymore.

at least the interns are gone, so it's not a choice between "wait 45 minutes for food" and "overcooked chicken and empty clamshells"

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

apseudonym posted:

ITT Googlers complain about their free food.

Masa is best btw.

Masa is best when they have fish, Backyard on fridays, Happyfish when it's close, and Heritage otherwise.

edit: oh and wan when it has fried chicken (i.e. today)

b0lt fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2016 around 18:27

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I didn't, no, and I'm sure this kind of thing varies from one situation to another. Good luck in any case!

No, it doesn't. Google will only update their offer if they get new information, like an offer from another company.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Paolomania posted:

We really need to start a googns mailing list.

#cobol on internal IRC

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Even then, working on the service, there are a lot of other priorities that will likely rank higher for the team than a 1% performance difference. Until you're as ubiquitous as Google or Facebook's core services, the name of the game is user acquisition and retention, not infrastructure spend. Unless you're actually at risk of hitting a performance bottleneck that you can't reasonably spend your way around, development velocity and defect rates are going to be your key drivers. A language that has acceptable performance and facilitates faster development -- including downstream from your project -- will almost always knock out a language that can eke out the best possible performance.

And let's not forget that a 1% cost savings is still only a 1% cost savings no matter how big the cluster is.

A 1% cost savings is worth a team of hundreds of engineers if you're spending tens of billions of dollars per year on datacenters.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

mrmcd posted:

The goongler mafia seems to grow larger by the day...

Organizing the world's shitposts and making them universally accessible and useful

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Offshoring to India for highly collaborative dev work is really weird to me. Latin America is better in every conceivable respect.

At my previous job, we offshored to a bunch of really good people in Ukraine, and then Putin bombed their office.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

lifg posted:

That sounds amazing. A soul-bearing honest self-assessment to keep you on track, and get your head out of the trees and see the forest.

I don't know why anyone would hate it. Probably people who've never worked at a company whose annual reviews used a mimeographed questionnaire from 1970.

IMO, perf sucks not because of writing your own self assessment, but because of writing peer reviews.

(also going for promo really sucks)

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Perf is still reviewed and evaluated by management, so it just shifts the onus of reporting and reviewing onto the employee. It doesn't sound all that different from typical management to me.

Pollyanna posted:

What do you do when a coworker constantly goes dark when remote/leaves after 12 each day, pushes poorly-made solutions that heavily slow down your team, doesn't offer any code review outside of "please alphabetize these things" or "changes I made to my CICD setup means your entire thing is hosed up now, please redo it all", and has managers asking around if anyone has their phone number so they can get in contact with said coworker?

Meaning, what happens when you have a complete rear end in a top hat on your team? Do you trash them in your peer evaluations, or be diplomatic?

You filter them out in the interview, hopefully, and failing that, you have them managed by someone who will notice this more or less immediately. Management at Google isn't really comparable to traditional management. Most managers (especially first tier managers) are still individual contributors in some capacity, and will be code reviewing patches from their reports. If they don't notice that their report is useless within like a week, something has gone very wrong.

(it's harder if they're assholes in the "doesn't play well with others" category, AFAIK what will usually happen is that they'll get dinged for it in perf/calibration, and get explicit feedback of "stop being such an rear end in a top hat")

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Mniot posted:

When I've done and had code reviews as part of a smooth-running dev team, it is all trivial nitpicky bullshit. I've got a recent PR that was quite large here, so let's see what the reviewers wrote:

This just means that either your code is trivial enough to be bugproof, or your code reviewers are bad.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Is this the kind of thing that a web developer isn't really useful for, and if so, what would I need to do to gain these skills and start qualifying for these positions? I see a lot of positions opening up for machine learning/data science around my area, and I want to get in on the field.

Pollyanna posted:

Just had a phone screen for a UI/front-end engineer position where the first question that was asked was "how much linear algebra do you know?".

I don't know what to make of this.

Are you applying and/or stating an interest for machine learning jobs?

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

The flip side to all the cautionary posts is that SRE positions in reputable companies pay way more than the equivalent level SWE.

All of the sources I've seen have SRE and SWE pay being essentially identical at Google.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

apseudonym posted:

Rebasing your patches isn't hard or expensive and it shouldn't take a lot of effort unless you're code base is moving really quickly for everyone but you, in which case you should coordinate poo poo.

it is when syncing frameworks/base hangs or fails half of the time

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

gently caress you, splay trees forever.

One weird trick to tell if someone went to CMU and took a class from Daniel Sleator.

Splay trees are garbage.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

mrmcd posted:

I've heard rumors that lots of people in the London office complain the pay is really bad there, relatively speaking. It also might just be the market in London is really bad on pay in general though, so top of market London is aggressively mediocre for NYC and SF.

AIUI, london pay sucks, zurich pay is on par with mtv, munich pay is in between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I very much doubt it. I've not seen many OO languages which do.

Scala has the @tailrec annotation to require that a function gets compiled into a tail-recursive form.