Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I'm curious to know what's bothering you about ops jobs. I'm finding myself setting up build and deployment automation for .net apps and so far I like the challenge. Probably if I spent 100% of my time maintaining such system it would get tedious.

By the way, I've never posted here but I've read the thread for a while. Been doing lots of web back-end like Apis, ecom, system integration, and all that. I've been doing and following front-end too since before there were div. I don't really like the non-standardised toolchain of the current javascript ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
To me AOP == Managing cross cutting concern, usually with interception and inversion of control.

It doesn't have to be spaghetti, in fact in C# so far when I use this, which is pretty much always nowadays , it clean up the tidy up the code base a lot.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah I don't live in a fancy town with sky-high salaries but at every job I've been, the only programmers (we don't call them engineer here as it's a protected title) that could setup a decent build/deployment automation were the most qualified programmers. If a candidate has setup a build and deployment automation system in the past it's a big plus in my eyes.

Why is there an obsession of sticking engineer to every role ? Build engineer / Sales Engineer / Support Engineer etc ? Is it simply a hierarchy thing (technician versus engineer) or is it the normal title ? Do you guys have programmers anymore or only software engineer ?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Every job has pros and cons. Bottom line is when you work for a company you are there to provide a return on investment somehow. There are various way to accomplish this across a huge range of sector of activity.

The most important aspect for me personally is my direct co-workers and direct supervisor, if they are nice I generally have a good time even if the rest of the company are less than ideal. Great bosses are not necessarily great technically, however, they need to be good listener and people problem solvers. As for your colleague, ideally you want people than can teach you something and people to whom you can teach stuff.

But yeah some of the worst work environment is place where there is no planning, no requirement gathering, design phase and where non-technical staff don't respect technical staff.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Cryolite posted:

So no corporate IT cost centers, no non-software companies, no sales-driven culture, no lax interview, and no contractors.

drat, what's left? I feel like the majority of jobs out there are at those kinds of places.

I've worked at place where they don't ask to write code on whiteboard, but rather ask design and technical questions, and some of these place were great.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Also, the code on whiteboard thing is so far from how we actually code nowadays. I mean yeah, you should be able to be able to code fizbuzz with your eyes closed and join a couple of sql tables on a whim but reverse a linked list ? That's just being lazy and copying the Googler and it has nothing to do with the actual daily work of a programmer / Analyst.

By nothing to do I mean on a daily basis, how often do you reverse a linked list manually ? Or code your own binary tree ? Modern language have all of this details abstracted away and JIT compiler are way more effective at optimization than your brain.

Of course knowing how to effectively structure your data and how algorithm complexity work (Big O) is necessary. If you can explain how it work, you don't need to actually code it.

Unless you're applying for a embedded system programmer or language design / compiler design...

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 9, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

Uhm, isn't "reverse a linked list" just a trivial check to see if somebody understands recursion? Seems to me like an easy enough question to ask on a whiteboard just to make sure the candidate has minimal knowledge of recursive functions and data structures. Defining a binary tree is something you could easily expect a candidate to know if the job is for a more functional programming language as well. It all depends on the job of course.

You are correct it's not particularly difficult. But I'd rather know if they understand the principle behind it and explain it in simple terms rather than if they've read and memorized Cracking the coding interview.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Sorry you got treated like poo poo. No one should have to take that and I can understand you can be mentally affected by that. Hope you all the best.

Money is nice but it's not worth getting depressed over.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Insensitive stuff

Wow not sure what happened here but that was really uncalled for.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
I do not believe public shaming by a boss should be considered normal, that's just being hostile and yes there are many bosses with that kind of management style in the world. I personally don't play enter that dynamic anymore but when I was younger was a little different.

It's probably most frequent with inexperience worker who don't stand for themselves.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
All of my past and current bosses in the last decade I've had been comfortable talking to them about why I'm not feeling well and most would have empathized and helped me out of it.

It is in their best interest to have happy and productive workers after all.

The style of management Blinkz0rz seem to be talking about I would consider normal in the army or at the fastfood chain, but absolutely weird and unacceptable in the software industry, where you pay people for what's in their head rather than how they move their muscle.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Listening to others, communications, social interactions, thinking about new concepts, building and prototyping new ideas without fear of failure is what evolution, is all about. And also what differentiate humans from other animals and what would call our "free will".

Hating that side of humankind is just sad, and will not improve the physical or psychological situations of you or your peers.

There is someone like that where I work, he's a winform programmer that never bothered to learn web technologies, he is always so negative about everyone and everything, he's from that old school of though that women are too sensitive and that kids nowadays are just so lazy and always on social media and never working. I rarely ear him talk positively about anything. He's so convinced he's always right and yet he can't take criticism one bit, when you prove him wrong he goes into shut-in mode for hours or days. He's been working for this company for over a decade and thank god was never considered for managerial position.

Anyway, that guy is sad and hate almost everyone, he eat alone. You don't want to be like that guy.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

hendersa posted:

Did something about old-school development operations

Just wondering, did management assigned you time in your regular schedule to do all that work or did you end up doing it for free in unpaid overtime ? Did you get something out of making the company more efficient ?

I had to resign from one of my employer where I tried to improve branches management, continuous deployment, build and testing automation. 50-100 employees company, 10 years old framework. They preferred to just throw more warm bodies to the problem instead of automating. I resigned because I loath that mentality.

Have any tips for how to approach this with management ?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Well, it turns out this developer was a nightmare to work with, and regressed performance, thread safety, product quality, and code quality. But hey, the got features done on time! Oh, and I spent a ton of time constantly fixing stuff because the features would be broken.

I've started programming self-taught when I was a teen in front of my Commodore 64 and later got a formal education in computer science in my late twenties. I had understood most of the content of what they taught at university by myself but I learned the official terms for them. What I learned at Uni was mainly about how to structure my taught and how to speak with other educated person. Yeah I learned some neat trick like how a B-Tree work is how to QuickSort but really, the most important stuff you learn it on the job I think.

That said, I've seen really bad and really good programmer coming from formal education and self-taught schools. Most are right there in the middle in term of skills. It's true that self-taught or usually more wild and formal want to apply all the optimal stuff they learned in school.

A programmer job is so much more than just code anyway.

I'm not sure what was my point.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

hendersa posted:

To take it to management: Figure out how much time is being spent on rapid releases and the time needed to troubleshooting and fix a bug. Figure out how much of that is "overhead" that could be eliminated by reducing the number of releases. Figure out how many bugs are due to regression. Estimate how much time is wasted trying to reinvent the wheel or looking for info that only so-and-so knows. Apply a dollar value to that time. Estimate the amount of money required for training (and loss of development time during training), additional tools, books for the office, etc. Compare the costs to savings and find an estimated break even point. Estimate what the return on that investment is on multiple timeframes (quarter, year, 3-year, etc.). Finally, suggest what intangibles might result from the improvement in process (improved customer perception of product, give the appearance of outpacing competitors, etc.).

Measure what hasn't been measured and make it easy for management to make a decision that would improve the state of things.

Thank for specifics :)

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah don't be outrage at other people making more money than you, would you wish they make less ? That wouldn't be a zen set of mind and can only make you unhappy.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm far from making 150k a year and I know I'm at least as good as some of the people here working at the big tech co but that's what the market is where I live. I could get more but I'd need to move to where they pay that much...

Anyway I'm happy for you guys making bank.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Button posted:

It's all about context

Writing the help system
Knowing where to place the button in the app
Knowing the text on the button
Knowing the interaction it has with other component in the UI
Knowing what the button must do when you press it
Is this a web page, a mobile app (native, hybrid, html), Vr app, or Desktop app ?

Coding a button to restart a Webapp on azure is of course very different from a button that popup hello world in javascript.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
For me it's almost always been because of the direction/vision/strategy of the org rather than co-workers and manager. Maybe I've been lucky but I've mostly had nice coworker and or managers. Or at least I can see enough niceness in them to not hate them.

It did happen , once, gently caress them and their egos. They can create all the simplest buggy crap they want without me.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

All of those complaints sound like complaints about where you work, not complaints about your tech stack.

I second this.
I guess you should stop calling yourself a monkey too, maybe the work your are doing seem ape-ish but you are not.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Just to add that VS Code is very nice for javascript development. It's written in Typescript and is open source : https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
I personally Love C# it's a beautiful language with lots of cool features that let you build stuff how you want while still taking you by the hand along the way. Microsoft is really king of the hill in term of developer tools : Visual Studio + Sql Server management studio make everything easy. MS cloud offering (Azure) is really starting to pick up in term of feature and it's easy to learn when you are familiar with their ecosystem. C# / will get you a lot of Line of Business apps dev type of jobs. Lots of web dev also.

The Javascript ecosystem is vibrant, innovative but it lacks structure and sanity. Any javascript framework over 6 months old can become obsolete. jQuery has been around for a while and it still does the trick but it's certainly not San Francisco cool. Unless you really want to get involved with the community and spend your whole time doing javascript it's not really worth it IMO. With today's framework you can build everything in javascript : Mobile, Web front-end and back-end and desktop apps, you might transform in a hipster or lose your mind doing it tho.

If you want to know what the cool kids and SF startup use head over to https://news.ycombinator.com/

gently caress PHP, there's a market for it and surely will have one in the future but really it's terrible, worst then javascript.

C++ for AAA games.

C for IoT and Embed.

Python for AI.

You should definitely be comfortable around SQL and NoSQL databases.

There are tons of options and you can't master them all, I've left tons of languages and techs, there are so much of them.

Is there a particular field you'd want to go ? Desktop, Mobile, Web backend, Web frontend, Embedded, Robotics, AI, Big Data, Virtual & Augmented reality...

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Edit : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Lol man our reg dates are one-day apart !

That's not my field so hopefully someone else can give better information than me but here's what I know :

Hardcore AAA desktop gaming is done in C++, Ideally you want some to be strong in math if you are working on 3d engines. You also want strong fundamentals in optimization.

If you want a smoother learning curve, you can start with mobile gaming or light desktop games with Unity (free) or a native mobile tech : Java (Android Studio) or Swift (buyin to Apple required).

Try and build an app or a game using either Unreal Engine or Unity for a start I guess.

I don't know how it is for other cities but in Montreal you have to show some accomplishment to get hired at one of the big game studios.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 14, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
After all this, would you do another 6 hours homework ?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
What you probably mean is you wouldn't take a week of your own vacation to work for another company.
But... If you are unemployed then why not right ?

And that's the problem with that kind of week-long "interview" : You filter out the more employable candidates.

I believe we as devs/scrummaster/team lead/managers are to blame in part for the way we conduct interview and following the trends.

I mean when we hire someone, they are on trial... If they can't do the job they will get canned within a month. I know there are countries where it's almost impossible to fire someone once you hired them but that's not the case in North America.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah not everywhere in North America is the average dev salary 2x-3x the average houseold income. But I don't know of a company here that would ask me to trial for a week.
But you prove my point that we as a community are to blame for these weird hiring practice.

Do they ask doctor to do a couple of trial surgery before hiring them ? Or Lawyers ? What about Structural engineer ?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Here calling yourself a Software Engineer do require a license.

Here is not silicon valley of course.

Truth is, getting your license does not prove you are a good dev.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 25, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah I agree.

It's a big ego game where we expect candidate to play a game of wits with the interviewer while at the same time the candidate must not show total dominance over his interviewee or he'll fear for his own position.

Also we would like others to see our brillance without having to go through said game of wits.

Catch-22 and all that.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 25, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
You have some good point, individuals can bring in some values by accomplishing tasks.

A lot of people could claim the fame to that : The Executive who assigned the budget needed to hire you, the manager and dev(s) who decided to hire you, the business analyst who came up with the story, the product owner who pruned the backlog to include that feature, the software architect who designed how to implement the solution, you for actually coding it, the QA analyst who made sure it was bug free, the previous dev who coded regression test to make sure you didn't break anything, the DevOps team who deployed that feature, you go go as far as saying the payroll clerk who wrote your check so that you would sit still long enough to produce the required code.

Maybe the company you work at does not have all these positions and you came up with the idea and did all the politic work to make it happen as well as the technical know-how to execute it, but it's never as black and white as saying it is only one individual who made it happen.

I agree that coming with these points (I made this and it improved that by x percent) does show a concern the big picture.

I probably sound sour, and I have no real solution to that problem. What I know is the first step to fix a problem is recognize it and identify my place in that problem. Then I can find a solution.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

quote:

RE : Scrum Master

As other have pointed out, you'll be dealing with politics in that role.
This might make a few people here gag and honestly it is dated and has to be taken with a grain of salt but... I still suggest this classic read if you've never had to deal with a more politic/person oriented role :
How to Win Friends and Influence People

Alright blast me now !

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Not sure if I'm stating something you already know but just in case : Writing something as a hobby is very different then writing it for a living in a medium to large corporation. You will usually have very little say in the product direction, feature, quality control, style of code. Most likely you will be another cog in the machine and execute what someone else want.

It's not always like that, in smallish company you will have a much bigger role in decisions.

As for salary, well, if you start disappointed about that then you always have the growth opportunity for career advancement but yeah it doesn't start too well. Sometime you can fall into another bracket if your job title change.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

The March Hare posted:

If I'm understanding correctly I think I just built basically this exact thing for my current job, which is sort of funny. I made an API that creates file paths for <external storage service> and then returns you metadata (ctime, dtime, path, etc.) for that file along with an ID. It also handles handing out temporary credentials to access all of those things and can handle some scheduled file archiving and stuff. But largely it just provides metadata that is not fetched from the service storing the file as well as an interface to access that data.

Once we switch our main app over to doing all of the reads/writes using this new system we should have an external store of all file data readily on hand without ever having to actually hit whatever external service we are using.

In my case it currently only has to deal with AWS but the idea is that if we ever move off of AWS we can use this same interface for all of our poo poo.

For a dev with 2 years experience, 16 Hours seem a little short to complete such an assignment, unless you've already done something similar before or if you are handed decent design specs.
You mention having only vague description in sublime of what the program was for, sometime employer want to see that you will ask questions when you have them. They should make themselves available for questions and answers during the allotted time too.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
wow just... I can't even ...

Had someone gave me that assignment (I have more than 2 years experience), I would have made a DB diagram and maybe some kind of dataflow/interaction type of diagram. Then I would have done some general namespace architecture, put in a couple of interfaces and empty class but I would never have spent more than a couple of hours on this.

Maybe if I really liked the place and not been employed I would have coded for a few more hours. I would have put my copyright notice all over that poo poo too because really this smell of work stealing.

I think you dodged a bullet.

Are all startup in NYC asking for stuff like this ? It sounds extreme to me.

Edit : Now that I think more about it, I would have probably asked to be compensated for this consulting work, especially for the architecture part. If not I would have asked for the scope to be reduced to a 2 hours task and walked away if they refused. I'm not anyone bitch and starting a professional relation by making you slave away for 2 days is disrespectful. gently caress them.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 17, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

...their Glassdoor reviews from engineers and the rest of the company in other offices range from bad to absolutely scathing...

Agreeing with others : Ask them. See if you like the answer or not.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

xtal posted:

What's the proper course of action if one of your legacy services broke, you're tasked with fixing it, and find out that it's been violating the GPL all along, and fixing it will involve submitting a pull request with more GPL code and your name on it?

Rewrite it from scratch !

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
If you just fix it and send a notice to your superiors would that make you feel good enough about it ? that would cover your rear end for however long the retention policy is for the email where you work, might want to cc your personal mailbox if you think they could throw you under the bus.

If not then you might find yourself in a battle you don't have much control over and that you most likely cannot win, unless you have a lot of influence over some key players.

If you really really really hate it with all your heart and can't live with yourself by violating a GPL license, send an anonymous tip to an open source lawyer or the Copyrighter I guess.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

rt4 posted:

Is it possible to stay sane in this line of work without hobby projects? I think my skills would've reached full stagnation after about 2 years of professional experience if I didn't always have some weird thing on the side to make things interesting. Spending every day waist-deep in somebody else's bad design decisions just doesn't leave any room for learning or ambition.

Yes it certainly has been possible for me. But you do have to take chances and walk off the beaten path a little.

Regarding interview, I find teaching someone the know-how (coding) is way easier than teaching them how to be a good person (a good programmer), so we emphasize on that in our hiring process.

Way too much companies overestimate the technical skill required to pull data off a db and put it in a gui.

Fizzbuzz and data structure is enough (List vs Dictionary for example) to detect the screw ups.

Unless you do very specific and very hard problem, which very few companies actually do...

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 8, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
One of the company I worked with said compensation was proprietary information and company secret and Included not divulging as part of the non-compete.

I'm not in the U.S. of A and it's not as illegal here as in Cali but they knew I broke that part and I never had legal or other repercussions.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
You can't. It's HR's duty to fill the requirements for a position.

That is why we need to network with other technical people so that the devs can bypass HR's pile of CV and get you straight to interviewing. It's not easy to do but really just adding your colleagues to your linkedIn and checking on the one with whom you get along and would want to work with again. I'm not very good at it either but being social and nice to other help to get referrals. Conferences and industry meetup can go a long way if you have the time for that, but they do tend to be focused on one tech/stack/framework, it might actually be a good thing if you are looking for something new.

I agree it's frustrating, business rules can be such a pain in the rear end.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 16, 2017

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Somewhere between 0 and 100%

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The thing about crunch time is that, at least for me, 40 hours is already pushing how much I can put in at work before I start doing negative work. More time in the office is only going to make things worse. I guess this isn't a problem when you have more mechanical work to do that just needs to be chewed through and has a low potential for bugs, but with even moderately complicated work, I find that if I try to push my work hours beyond what I'm comfortable with, I end up creating bugs that take more time to fix than what was "saved" by my spending the extra time on the job.

That's been true for me too. I can work more than 40 hours but the productivity will not be higher so it's mostly just for the show.

Also, there's no such thing as what you call "being exempt" here, except for management. Overtime has to be paid or put into a bank.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

No, there's a classification of "exempt" and "nonexempt", which means that you aren't guaranteed overtime pay. America!

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17e_computer.htm

I'm exempt, you're exempt, we're all exempt.

Well that's messed up. Is there anything in place to prevent abuse ?

I gotta say, I really like the land of the Tim Horton :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

fantastic in plastic posted:

Over time, places that ask for a lot of overtime or otherwise have abusive practices get a bad reputation and will have trouble attracting quality talent. It's not immediate and doesn't provide recompense directly to the people who suffer by those practices, but there are long-term economic costs to it.

So the invisible hand then, I believe as much as in the trickle down economics.

Because these things don't really work IMHO, except in making people believe someone else or something else will save them if they let the rich get richer.