Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at. The process for interviewing at Silicon Valley companies is so loving onerous that it's untenable for normal companies to follow the same process.

Anyway, I think whiteboarding has a pretty important place in the interview process, but I think people miss the point. Whiteboarding should be more about watching how the candidate solves problems than about making sure s/he can write code.

I'd never ding a candidate on syntax errors and any company that does sounds like it would be terrible. I've interviewed candidates that have solved problems in pseudocode and because they reasoned through the problem carefully and I saw the code they wrote for the pre-test.

At my last job when we are about to tackle a problem we usually go into a side room and jot stuff down on the whiteboard to help everyone visualize stuff together.

When I'm interviewing/being interviewed I always act like we're already on the same team and we're just going to knock out a problem real quick. It's very conversational and I try to keep it as laid back as I would on a regular day in the office.

If I don't remember the exact syntax for a function I fudge it and tell them what I was going for and if the person isn't a huge rear end in a top hat they'll flat out tell you or admit they don't know either and you both pretend it does what you wanted it to do. If you're going to pass on me because I admit that I would reference a doc real quick then we're not a good match anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU