Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Yea, a recruiter sent me a bunch of job descriptions last month. It was shocking how many looked like they were looking for swiss army knives. A lot of them I couldn't quite figure out what I would be working on, which is alarming.

I love the descriptions that are some fairly standard ASP or Java plus front end whatever and then oh yeah also some :wtf: extremely domain specific big data poo poo or hilariously obscure enterprise platform :rolleyes: that you should have 5 years experience in.

Why yes mr. company man I'm so very passionate about ShitBagel 2.0 eCommerce Synergy Platform development..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

A potential new client asked me to submit to:

- A background check (including fingerprinting by the local police department)
- A credit check
- An NDA

Background check and NDA, fine. I've done both of those before.

I've never heard of being fingerprinted and having a credit check run as part of becoming an approved contractor before, though. They're a financial institution, but I've worked with plenty of those before without having to go through that.

My gut instinct is to say "no" to both of those as they seem a tad excessive. Thoughts?

Had fingerprinting before, also for a financial place, but no credit check that seems excessive especially since I thought some financial background was included in a "background check"? Standard DoD thing includes questions about bankruptcy, gambling losses etc.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

feedmegin posted:

My vote's for Object-Oriented COBOL

Running on Node of course.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

baquerd posted:

Of course this will vary depending on location, but it's reality check time here people. The average salary for someone with the title "Software Engineer" across all levels of experience and locations is somewhere around $100k depending on what source you use. There is no shame in flyover country taking a $50k job fresh out of school. I know in Chicago (outside high finance), things really top out at around $180k base these days for a high-end senior engineer and basically no one is getting that (but plenty are in the $140-160 range). Talk about any higher numbers, and they just refer you to their executive committees and try to talk about hiring you as a director.

This is why you get the coast money to start and then move to remote from flyover country :getin:

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

All of this is probably just consulting.txt and I've been in it too long but serious :wtf:

- no actual requirements just out of date wireframes
- changes made in phone conferences that are never written down
- no stable data, can't actually develop something that goes from 22k to a 3.8mb JSON file

- hate this goddamn poo poo but they've paid me enough not to care for too drat long :smith:

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Doghouse posted:

Google knows everything :tinfoil:

I don't know if it's still in business but there was some search engine that specialized in finding everything you ever did online, I tried it once and it dragged up usenet posts I made in 1996 :stare:

Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Thought the name started with a p.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

Most people don't like their jobs, especially after a couple years of dealing with situations out of their control or simply unexciting work. You can have all the same problems working elsewhere without anywhere near close to the compensation or opportunities for growth, but depression is most common in developed countries and people aren't particularly rational.

I'm trying to decide if I just have a case of grass-is-always-greener or my current place is really that crap and I would be a lot happier somewhere else.

I've been here 7+ years and the money is great: at least 5% raises every year, last was 7% on top of what was already high for the market even though I haven't been promoted in 6 years. Also I moved back to my hometown 3 years ago to work from home and it hasn't affected those raises at all. I don't care whether it's affected promotion because I loathe management and don't really want to be promoted anyway.

The problem is it's consulting/agency work, much of it subcontracted from [big rear end defense contractor] with all of the problems you would think that come with that. I've pretty much become convinced that work-for-hire is the absolute worst loving way to make software. I'm not sure if you could come up with a worse set of incentives counter to actually properly engineering anything.

It's apparent in all the things talked about ITT and in other threads that we just don't have, ever, like: actual requirements, automated testing of any kind, code reviews, documentation, an actual project management process, anyone who can write a JIRA to save their goddamned life, etc.

I'm well aware that most places have some variation on this kind of terribleness but I have to believe there are plenty of places that are significantly better. Also I've watched it go downhill in terms of average developer skill. When I joined I was definitely the dumbest person in the room which was great, now I find myself explaining what I feel is pretty basic stuff far too often.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

fantastic in plastic posted:

Is there a good place to look for remote contract opportunities? A lot of freelancer places seem geared toward designers or people in Belarus who can work for $10/hr.

StackOverflow careers has actual filters for both remote and contract, also there's a remote work aggregator site goremote.io that doesn't have an actual filter that I can see but if you just search for "contract" in the descriptions that seems to work alright.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

return0 posted:

This is such a gigantic red flag, it's actually ridiculous.

A red flag cannon that shoots red flags that explode into smaller red flags that have pictures of red flags on those flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

LLSix posted:

All my work at my lost job

Nice Freudian lovely Springsteen B side. Has anyone ever worked on (a) project(s) where they had no idea if the product was ever even used or not?

It seems like a kind of bizarre situation made possible only by the bizarro world of defense contracting. It's like, well, it might be great? It might be used all the time and save money and time and keep 'murica safe.. or it's never actually even been used by any end user. Seriously these are equally possible outcomes due to things I know about the projects. And the odd thing is absolutely no one else seems to care at all, or at least they've never mentioned it. I'm at the point where I don't know any more if it's weird that I get preoccupied with it, but it just seems hard to be motivated when you actually have no idea if the thing will even be used.

Supposedly there is a very high 'failure rate' for projects though what the hell that means I don't know. A couple weeks ago I very inadvertently found a bug in IE (all they use of course) that rendered a significant portion of the UI on the homepage unusable. This is an app that has been in production for months now.

I suppose this is just military_industrial_complex.txt that anyone ever on a defense project could write :911: